READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
A group of 3 of us are going to HS a week from today. We will each have our own phones and our own MDE accounts. We are all linked as friends and family. Should we each try on our own phones getting a BG for all 3 of us? Or would the system not like that?

Sorry, one more question. I’ve seen people say to close out of the app and open it exactly at park opening time. When I click on the app to open it, it takes me at least 10 seconds (maybe more) to get past the initial “Walt Disney world” screen with the castle. There’s no possible way that can be what I should do, right? I feel like I should have the app already open and just keep clicking “find out more” and refreshing until opening time. Is that right?

I think the fact that they have extended the switch from AM EMH to PM EMH through the end of August is an indicator they expect to be using boarding groups through at least the end of August.

That was my thought too. It's one of the reasons we decided to spring for the CL FPs. I would rather stress out over just trying to get a BG than BG and everything else. It doesn't help that there's only two of us and it'll all be down to me, since my gf has a Canadian cell phone.

We asked for assistance with this same issue, because the ride kept stopping (it was a notorious Friday in January) and we were told to cancel our ADR. They definitely didn't offer to move us up or let us ride right then. To clarify, we had regular BG, not a Backup.
Update: spoke to GET and they basically told us “better luck tomorrow.”

Sure seems like guest services have pulled back a bit lately with their willingness or ability to provide recovery.

Sorry, one more question. I’ve seen people say to close out of the app and open it exactly at park opening time. When I click on the app to open it, it takes me at least 10 seconds (maybe more) to get past the initial “Walt Disney world” screen with the castle. There’s no possible way that can be what I should do, right? I feel like I should have the app already open and just keep clicking “find out more” and refreshing until opening time. Is that right?
I agree, and would never start from completely opening the app because that always takes so much longer. I make sure to be logged in ahead and sit on the main screen, going between find out more and my status. This worked for all of my practices and the time we rode last Wednesday.

A group of 3 of us are going to HS a week from today. We will each have our own phones and our own MDE accounts. We are all linked as friends and family. Should we each try on our own phones getting a BG for all 3 of us? Or would the system not like that?
Yes, you should each be trying to get a BG for the three of you. Once one of you secures the BG, anyone else attempting to get one will get notified that they all have a BG already. Three chances of getting one. Good luck!

The few times I have practiced, I have opened my app well in advance - 4-5 minutes before 8 am and just wait. At the stroke of 8:00:00 (per my Apple Watch) I hit the "Find Out More" button and "Join a Boarding Group" is immediately available.

While I normally agree with you, I would be willing to bet a million bucks that there were people who were there at opening who got shut out. If they had issues with their phones, the backups went so quick they were probably out of luck. If this becomes the norm, I hope they hire more guest services CMs because there are going to be some irate customers.
I know people will be upset but only so many people can ride in one day. Unless Disney extends park hours there is no way around this

On my phone it consistently takes 15-16 secs to open but I don’t trust it enough to count on that. I’ve had very good luck practicing with the method you describe. I know things will be different in the park but I feel safer having the app open.

That was my thought too. It's one of the reasons we decided to spring for the CL FPs. I would rather stress out over just trying to get a BG than BG and everything else. It doesn't help that there's only two of us and it'll all be down to me, since my gf has a Canadian cell phone.
There are numerous reports of people getting BGs using Disney wifi. I'd recommend you both try and let the race begin!!

For my first post, I need to thank everyone that contributed to the tips in this thread. In our two days at HS, today and yesterday, We got the first group both days.

2/12 - Pixel 3 running the latest version. Turned off wifi. Opened the app a few minutes before 8 and just waited on the welcome screen. Used the "Time Is" website for the official countdown. Right at 8:00am, clicked Find Out More, selected my party (4 of us) and joined the BG. Scored BG 2.

2/13 - Pixel 3A - remote - Identical steps. BG 10.

I should note that we had 5 people (3 in the park and 2 remote) trying to get BGs. 2 androids (Pixel 3 & Pixel 3A) and 3 iPhones (one X and two 8s) across 2 different accounts. At least 3 of us each day got "An error was encountered", so the more people trying, the better your chances. The fact that the two androids ended up being successful is interesting.

Thank you again for making this a success for my family!

There are numerous reports of people getting BGs using Disney wifi. I'd recommend you both try and let the race begin!!
My DH was on wifi and he was the one to get our BG. I couldn't get the BG button to light up red and I was on AT&T.

Wow, thanks! If that's the case, I may have her attempt it with my last gen iPad. She has an iPhone 6 that can be very temperamental and is kind of on its last legs. Mine is an iPhone 11 Pro and I get very good service in the parks with Verizon as long as I'm not in those "dead spots" where nobody gets service. The iPad usually gets left in the room safe but hopefully it'll help.

Wow, thanks! If that's the case, I may have her attempt it with my last gen iPad. She has an iPhone 6 that can be very temperamental and is kind of on its last legs. Mine is an iPhone 11 Pro and I get very good service in the parks with Verizon as long as I'm not in those "dead spots" where nobody gets service. The iPad usually gets left in the room safe but hopefully it'll help.
I plan on taking our iPad our DHS days too and teaching my 11yo the ropes. Guessing she'll be the successful one!

Sure seems like guest services have pulled back a bit lately with their willingness or ability to provide recovery.
I think whether you have a backup group number or a primary number might play into this some. We ran into a bad day for the ride two weeks ago, had a primary boarding group (towards the end of primary, but still a primary), also had an after hours event at MK that night. We spent all day in HS until late afternoon, but got to a late enough time, with the ride still down, that they would be unlikely get to our BG before we needed to leave. We didn't have any trouble trading in our BG for a recovery pass to use the next day. But if we had a backup BG, I would not have expected the same accommodation. In my opinion, that's part of their reasoning of having primary and backup groups. Fewer people to feel the need to offer recovery to in the event of a tough day for the ride.

Currently on 2 hours and ten mins down... longest I’ve seen it down (whilst we were in the park). Hopefully back up soon, it’s very hot here today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter