READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wait times across the board at all the parks right now look high but not completely crazy. Am I wrong in thinking this may not be entirely attributed to 1-2 weeks of the year kind of crowds?
It is only 10:20 though - let’s see what it looks like at noon once everybody has gotten out of bed. 🤣 FWIW, the wait times right now look a little longer than what I experience in late January at a similar time.

Can you both join a bg and then also use the fp and ride twice tomorrow? I wonder....
(I’m not there and won’t be at wdw til possibly next year, but just wondering...).
Nice
There is no other way to get around this madness? It ruins the rope drop experience for the entire park, not just that one "popular" ride. Perhaps they could release 20 BG at the top of each hour, which may spread out the crowds. Yes, people would initially be trying for fewer BG, which would be frustrating. However, once the word gets out, not everyone will feel the need to be there at park opening if they have another chance at 8 or 9 or so on. This may help people without park hoppers who are tied to that park have additional opportunities to snag it if they miss the first round(s). It may also allow people to choose a time to try to get a BG more in line with their other plans, FP, ADRs and such. The BG would still run out of course and not everyone would get a chance, but it might spread out the crowds more and take the stress off the IT system. Of course, it should go without saying, but my personal opinion and based on my own experiences.
That's not a bad option either. My concern is that people would feel forced to sit in the park all day trying for bgs. (And unlikely to get one, as you stated) Obviously, you pointed out some positive aspects. Reasonable people can disagree on with pros outweigh the others.

I agree, I was surprised that they didn’t continue to call BGs last night and run the ride a little past 10pm in an effort to get more people a chance to ride. I’m really sorry you didn’t get an opportunity to ride. 😔

My family's BG was 91 and that number was called at 7:46pm. They walked over from another part of the park and by the time they got into the ride, experienced a delay, and got out, it was 9:24pm. By the time they got all the eligible BGs done, I'm sure it was after 10pm.

Not cheerleading for Disney by any means but I don't think they closed early or even on time.

The morning lottery system is painful. And then even if you succeed with a BG, you have it hanging over your head all day in terms of needing to get back to DHS regardless of what other plans you may have had. Early on my family was prepared to be called around 1pm until the ride started breaking down. Then it was hour by hour. They were lucky because they did not have ADRs or other firm plans (several FP choices were reworked and then discarded) but it can really ruin your day if you do.

My family's BG was 91 and that number was called at 7:46pm. They walked over from another part of the park and by the time they got into the ride, experienced a delay, and got out, it was 9:24pm. By the time they got all the eligible BGs done, I'm sure it was after 10pm.

Not cheerleading for Disney by any means but I don't think they closed early or even on time.
Yeah - I guess it’s hard to get a sense of what’s going on from afar. They might have also had lots of recover FP returners last night coming back once the ride was back up. I guess the major takeaway is that it’s super frustrating to see them stop calling new groups 2 hours before close BUT that’s the way it has to be the best thing or they’d have to run the ride until midnight.

EDIT: although in another respect, only 3 more BGs got called after that last night which they could have potentially moved through in another 15-20 minutes so maybe they did close the ride on time and could have accommodated more by running an extra hour. 🤣 What do I know. Until I get out of my recliner and head there in 3 weeks I’m just an armchair analyst!

Oh I’m sure Disney is doing everything they can to accommodate guests. That’s why I feel for the people in guest relations right now. However, people “at the top” like Chapek might need to come out and say the current VQ system is flat out not working if it does not improve in a few days.

Following up from my experience yesterday, I’m happy to report I got to ride this morning and it was amazing! I left BLT at 9:15, arrived at HS and tapped in to the park at 9:40, walked over to RotR and got straight on with my FP+. I’m now on a bus heading to AK and should make my first FP+ there.

The best tip I can give for those trying to plan to ride is to schedule your HS day before the last day of your trip. As frustrating as it is when long down time means your BG isn’t accommodated, Disney do make it as easy as possible to get to ride the next day if there are problems on your day like I faced yesterday.

Since you’re supposed to have 2 hours to ride once your BG is called, it seems only logical to not call any new boarding groups less than 2 hours before close. It’s analogous to not having FPs that start in the last hour before close. They need that last two hours to accommodate the people whose numbers have been called and clear out the queue so they can shut down within a reasonable time after closing.

if they do call new groups in that last 2 hours I would consider it a bonus.

I am not finding this information on the sticky or other guides: Is each boarding group specific to the total number of guest in one's party? e.g. My family of four is boarding group #1, another family's of 6 is boarding group #2, and so forth. Or is there a set number allowed for each group so boarding group #1 could be 25 guests and then the system creates the next? Lastly, is there a max number of guests per boarding group? Thanks.

Since you’re supposed to have 2 hours to ride once your BG is called, it seems only logical to not call any new boarding groups less than 2 hours before close. It’s analogous to not having FPs that start in the last hour before close. They need that last two hours to accommodate the people whose numbers have been called and clear out the queue so they can shut down within a reasonable time after closing.

if they do call new groups in that last 2 hours I would consider it a bonus.
A good point. They do hand out FPs with return times in the last hour though and you get less then an hour to return. It’s also being suggested that on a day with poor performance perhaps operating the ride until 11pm would’ve given another ~1,300 people a chance to ride. We’re all seeing different angles here though and none of it really matters because Disney will just do whatever they want to do anyways 🤣 It would have been a nice bonus if they did that though. I of course am not accounting for the operating logistics and employee costs.

I am not finding this information on the sticky or other guides: Is each boarding group specific to the total number of guest in one's party? e.g. My family of four is boarding group #1, another family's of 6 is boarding group #2, and so forth. Or is there a set number allowed for each group so boarding group #1 could be 25 guests and then the system creates the next? Lastly, is there a max number of guests per boarding group? Thanks.
Each boarding group has a number Disney sets in it and multiple parties end up with the same group number. We are estimating based on the ride throughput that each group likely has between 75-100 people in it.

No one knows how many people are in a bg. But the general idea is 70 to 100 people per bg

I’m sorry you missed out, that really sucks. Something needs to be done to prevent people from arriving exactly when they should be, waiting all day, and still coming up empty.

I’m okay with people who don’t arrive on time missing out. I’m not okay with luck of the draw race that you have little to no control in.
If you have more people arriving on time than Disney can accommodate, then luck of the draw is the only option. The more I think about it, the more I think the current system is the best option. On less crowded days the early arrivals get the BGs, on days it’s insanely crowded and there are more early arrivals than spots available, it’s a lottery. And it’s not just a lottery in the sense of if you get a BG, but a lottery in the sense of if you get an early BG and are able to count on riding or not. If the ride breaks down and they don’t reach all the BGs, then what else can they do besides give you an FP for the following day? One thing that folks can do to give them a better chance of riding is not wait until the last day of their trip to try your luck at RotR.

I like the idea of that Python-esqe "run away!" tactic to find a non-overburdened cell phone tower after tapping in. Has the boardwalk been working well for that?
With 10 of us going this Friday, and only one day at WDW (sorry!), I was thinking that one or more of us would try this strategy BUT - what happens if those people end up not being registered as having tapped in? Can we still go to a CM (what is that, btw? a person who works there??) once they get back into the Park and tell them that they had tapped in?

Yeah - I guess it’s hard to get a sense of what’s going on from afar. They might have also had lots of recover FP returners last night coming back once the ride was back up. I guess the major takeaway is that it’s super frustrating to see them stop calling new groups 2 hours before close BUT that’s the way it has to be the best thing or they’d have to run the ride until midnight.

EDIT: although in another respect, only 3 more BGs got called after that last night which they could have potentially moved through in another 15-20 minutes so maybe they did close the ride on time and could have accommodated more by running an extra hour. 🤣 What do I know. Until I get out of my recliner and head there in 3 weeks I’m just an armchair analyst!
But once they call the last number, that BG still has 2 hours to show up. Then you have to get them through the ride. So I understand why they would cut off BGs at 8-8:30 when the park is 'closing' at 10.

But once they call the last number, that BG still has 2 hours to show up. Then you have to get them through the ride. So I understand why they would cut off BGs at 8-8:30 when the park is 'closing' at 10.
Well they don’t have to give them 2 hours to show up; but then that would create complaints of people not being at DHS and not able to get back in time OR people who waited at DHS and were never called and basically this is a no win situation 🤣

With 10 of us going this Friday, and only one day at WDW (sorry!), I was thinking that one or more of us would try this strategy BUT - what happens if those people end up not being registered as having tapped in? Can we still go to a CM (what is that, btw? a person who works there??) once they get back into the Park and tell them that they had tapped in?
CM= cast member
You would have to go to a cm and sr if they can add the rest of the party that wasn't recognized to have tapped into the park

In the parks 12/30 - 1/3 and it is crazy crowded. We got boarding group 15 on 1/1, no glitches. But, after using the App all week, Disney's IT department needs an upgrade! Has anyone tried a speed test for wifi or data service in the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter