RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

Good flipping grief...
First the negative gas-lighting... (Thanks you guys!!!! :wave:)
And now off topic post that seem to come off as bragging about upcoming travel.

This thread has REALLY gone off the rails!!!!! popcorn::

No, it was nationwide:
"The U.S. Department of Transportation's Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) reported today that U.S. airlines carried an all-time high number of passengers during 2017849.3 million systemwide, 741.6 million domestic and 107.7 millioninternational – surpassing the previous high reached in 2016 (Tables A, B, C) ...
2017 Annual and December U.S. Airline Traffic Data | Bureau of ..."

BWI, while busy, served 26,,000,000 passengers in 2017 http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/01/20/bwi-passenger-numbers/
That is incorrect. It was nationwide.

I still think it's at BWI:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/fbi-in-flight-sexual-assault-reports-increasing-at-an-alarming-rate/
The FBI doesn’t have complete confidence in the official number of midair sexual assaults, because so many cases may go unreported. But the agency believes the actual number of midair assaults is far higher than reported. The FBI opened 63 inflight assault investigations in 2017, up from 57 cases in 2016, 40 in 2015 and 38 in 2014, and there have already been 10 reports of sexual assaults on flights landing at BWI Marshall Airport since June 1. Other airports across the country have reported similar statistics.

Okay, I've been trying to follow this sexual assault number and think that you are both right (or both wrong) but talking about different things.

One of the articles from June 20th I read said that TEN sexual assaults have been reported at BWI since June 1st. That's one sexual assault every other day. I know it's a major airport and thousands of people fly into BWI every day, but still.

10 assaults (in 20 days) at one airport (BWI). I guess that it is going by a June-May fiscal year, because the actual article (not The Points Guy summary) just says 2018 (not since June 1).

Yet still, 63 in-flight assault reports in all of 2017, when 849,300,000 passengers flew. That's 0.000000074% chance of being sexually assaulted on a flight. Less than one in about 13,000,000. People are more likely to be attacked by sharks.
63 assaults (over the full 2017 year) at all US airports.

That was 63 assault reports was not nationwide. It was for ONE airport (BWI) in 2017. There have been 10 reports at BWI in June 2018 alone. The odds are not as minuscule as you make them out to be.

From the article:
The FBI opened 63 inflight assault investigations in 2017, up from 57 cases in 2016, 40 in 2015 and 38 in 2014, and there have already been 10 reports of sexual assaults on flights landing at BWI Marshall Airport since June 1. Other airports across the country have reported similar statistics.

I could see why Robin could interpret that as all numbers just being BWI. But other articles give the same previous numbers with no mention of BWI at all, so it is pretty clear that they are nationwide numbers.

An example -

FBI investigations into midair sexual assaults increased by 66% from fiscal year 2014 to 2017. The bureau said it had opened 63 investigations into sexual assault on aircraft in 2017, compared with 57 in 2016, 40 in 2015 and 38 in 2014.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/20/politics/fbi-airplane-sexual-assault/index.html

robinb said:
The FBI opened 63 inflight assault investigations in 2017, up from 57 cases in 2016, 40 in 2015 and 38 in 2014, and there have already been 10 reports of sexual assaults on flights landing at BWI Marshall Airport since June 1. "

These are two separate statements/statistics, probably less than ideally connected by a conjunction.

Good flipping grief...
First the negative gas-lighting... (Thanks you guys!!!! :wave:)
And now off topic post that seem to come off as bragging about upcoming travel.

This thread has REALLY gone off the rails!!!!! popcorn::

I don't really understand why you like to post on threads to announce when you think they're done. Most people just stop reading and responding. I mean, if it's important to you, that's cool. It just seems odd to me personally, and obviously those of us who are enjoying the back-and-forth will continue.

We always buy a seat and go on the plane at the end. Usually Westjet or Air Canada. We won't fly on Southwest. I'm not running in or playing save a seat games to get a decent seat.
For the kind of prices they charge I'd be more than happy to deal with the open seating. I wish one (or more) of the American discount carriers were able to cross the boarder.
But then should we be concerned about sitting a young female child next to your son? After all, he's a large male...
Absolutely LOVE this post!! :lovestruc

I’ll be honest, I did not even read the 53 pages of this zombie thread. But as a mom who flies with 3 kids, and as someone who would want any other parent to be as comfortable as I would want to be, the title of this post makes me sad.

We can all make the world a better place if we try to put ourselves in others’ shoes and have an ounce of compassion and kindness.

The thread has to do w people wanting to switch peak seats w crap seats. Seats that are often premium w a surcharge. Hence the nope, not gonna response.

Or I didn’t guarantee my spot but now fix it for free

Responsible parents make sure that they have made the appropriate flying arrangements to meet their family needs

I’ll be honest, I did not even read the 53 pages of this zombie thread. But as a mom who flies with 3 kids, and as someone who would want any other parent to be as comfortable as I would want to be, the title of this post makes me sad.

We can all make the world a better place if we try to put ourselves in others’ shoes and have an ounce of compassion and kindness.
Yes, it's not about mean, selfish people, it's about (cheap) people not being willing to pay for assigned seats as per the quote below.
The thread has to do w people wanting to switch peak seats w crap seats. Seats that are often premium w a surcharge. Hence the nope, not gonna response.

Or I didn’t guarantee my spot but now fix it for free

Responsible parents make sure that they have made the appropriate flying arrangements to meet their family needs
::yes::

So someone on here confirmed for fact that the mom did not have an emergency, get bumped from her original flight, or otherwise something out of her control resulted in her being placed away from her child? Someone confirmed for a fact she was cheap and trying to cheat the system?

I don’t care how well behaved my kids are, the stranger next to them is not going to instinctively protect them and take care of them in the event of an in-flight emergency.

So someone on here confirmed for fact that the mom did not have an emergency, get bumped from her original flight, or otherwise something out of her control resulted in her being placed away from her child? Someone confirmed for a fact she was cheap and trying to cheat the system?

I don’t care how well behaved my kids are, the stranger next to them is not going to instinctively protect them and take care of them in the event of an in-flight emergency.
:confused3 No way to know - the OP never came back to add anything else to the thread. The use of the word "demanded" implied something quite uncalled for though and if the situation was dire enough the in-flight crew should have brokered an arrangement for her, including refunding the displaced passenger for the extra fees paid for the seat she was taking.

It’s great though that some never miss a chance to imply that all men are predators though, isn’t it. :rolleyes:
It’s not that ppl “never miss a chance” but when you have had certain experiences,
you tend to be more cautious. I’ve seen things in my work experience that make me very cautious as a woman & extra cautious about who my child is around. It’s nice to live in a bubble where we can believe that most ppl are good, but that’s not always the case. Look at the me too movement. It’s disturbing how prolific it has been. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a child or parent of a child to feel uncomfortable with the sitting between 2 strange men. FTR, I don’t think it’s anyone else’s problem though, so plan accordingly if you want a certain seat.

That was 63 assault reports was not nationwide. It was for ONE airport (BWI) in 2017. There have been 10 reports at BWI in June 2018 alone. The odds are not as minuscule as you make them out to be.
And if you or your child is that victim, stats really don’t matter.
And if you or your child is that victim, stats don’t really matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter