Ramen noodles

Ramen noodles aren't just bad for you they are *terrible* for you.

One package has nearly 400 calories, 16 grams of fat (half of that fat being saturated), and almost *1600mg* of sodium. Calorie-count.com gives it a grade of D-. I won't dispute that they are cheap, but the stuff is poison for your body.

LOTS of foods are bad for you, in fact MOST of the foods in America are. I might eat a packet once every 4 months, but it's not a staple in our diet by any stretch.

Add those statistics to burgers, donuts, sweet coffees, alcoholic drinks, milk chocolate, french fries...lots of horrendous things we eat that are BAD for us. As long as you don't eat them regularly it's not a huge problem

I have a serious intestinal disease which is made worse by certain types of food. I avoid them 99% of the time but know the consequences if I do not. My problem is instantaneous, not down the line like some people so I have to be mindful of what I eat constantly.

I'm sure thinking adults do not eat ramen for breakfast lunch and dinner so the D- should not kill us.

I guess the next Super Size Me will be about ramen noodles!

they're a fave here in our house... although i rarely use the entire pack of seasoning, that's where all the "bad" stuff is (fat, sodium, etc)

While I am sure that the sodium comes from that little 'flavor packet'...Ummm, I always thought that all the fat came from the noodles as that they are DEEP FRIED!! :confused3

Those things are sooo bad for you. I blame Ramen and the friends I made in college (Jack Daniels, Sam Adams, Morgan, and Jose Quarvo) for my 20 lb weight gain.:scared1:

I make mine w/ a little less water and about 3/4 of the seasoning pkt. Then about 1 minute before they are done I carefully crack an egg on top of the noodles cover it and 'poach' it until all the white is done. I carefully pour it into a bowl trying to get the egg to settle on top of the noodles. Then I pop the egg and stir it all up. Learned this trick from my Japanese college roomies. Sometimes I also add an extra splash of soy sauce and a drop of sesame oil to the mix. Tastes great but I'm sure the sodium and fat are horrible.

NUTTY SALAD

Dressing:
3/4 cup salad oil
1 heaping tsp. Accent
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash
4Tbsp. Sugar
6Tbsp. Rice vinegar

Mix together all of the above in a wide mouth jar. Save time and make dressing a day before. Keep refrigerated. Shake well before using.

NEXT:
8 Tbsp. Slivered almonds(usually one small bag)
2 HEAPING Tbsp. Sesame seeds(more if you like)

Brown almonds in a pam sprayed skillet. When almost brown add sesame seeds until brown. Do not burn.

SALAD:
1 Large pkg. Cole slaw salad mix
1 pkg. Fresh spinach(baby spinach is excellent) cleaned and dry.
8 green scallions, thinly sliced(I’m not an onion person so I do not add these)

Mix together in a large bowl. Add cooled almonds and sesame seeds. Refrigerate.

Topper:
2 pkgs Top Ramen Noodle Soup(flavor packet not used). Crush up in the bag or use a storage bag.

At time of serving, add ramen noodles on top of the salad and mix. Pour dressing on and serve.

Have you ever noticed the grease that settles after you cook these, just wipe the pot out with a paper towel, ewwww. But they do taste yummy. The fat is most certainly from the noodles as my fiance' doesn't use the seasoning but you can still see the coating of oil the noodles leave.

Also anyone else realize one package is actually two servings? So double what the fat/calories are since it says it should feed two.

These were a staple for me in college, but I eat them maybe only once or twice a year now.

I used to dump a can of mushroom slices in as the noodles were boiling and then add the seasoning packet before I drained the noodles. That way, they had a little of the flavor but weren't overwhelming.

While I am sure that the sodium comes from that little 'flavor packet'...Ummm, I always thought that all the fat came from the noodles as that they are DEEP FRIED!! :confused3

Those things are sooo bad for you. I blame Ramen and the friends I made in college (Jack Daniels, Sam Adams, Morgan, and Jose Quarvo) for my 20 lb weight gain.:scared1:

That is too funny, i also currently blame my friends Red bull & Tarantula :lmao: :lmao:

Anywho my DS6 loves top ramen!! He would eat like 2 pkgs if i would let him. I guess i never realized how bad they were for you.

LOTS of foods are bad for you, in fact MOST of the foods in America are. I might eat a packet once every 4 months, but it's not a staple in our diet by any stretch.

Add those statistics to burgers, donuts, sweet coffees, alcoholic drinks, milk chocolate, french fries...lots of horrendous things we eat that are BAD for us. As long as you don't eat them regularly it's not a huge problem

I have a serious intestinal disease which is made worse by certain types of food. I avoid them 99% of the time but know the consequences if I do not. My problem is instantaneous, not down the line like some people so I have to be mindful of what I eat constantly.

I'm sure thinking adults do not eat ramen for breakfast lunch and dinner so the D- should not kill us.

I guess the next Super Size Me will be about ramen noodles!

You are absolutely correct....burgers, donuts, sweet coffees, alcohol and french fries are really bad for you. Fat free organic milk is actually good for you though....and chocolate in very small amounts has some good qualities too.

Most of the food in America is bad for us? Well, if you are talking about the highly processed, packaged crap that fills most of the aisles in our grocery stores....yes, it is. If you are talking nearly every restaurant in America....yes it is. But if you buy *real* food, like vegetables and fruits, whole grains and good protein sources and prepare them yourself, it is still possible to eat a healthy diet in this country.

During football season, DS eats Oodles of Noodles and a PB&J everyday that he has practice or a game. Carbs give him energy, Salt keeps him from dehydrating, and the PB&J provides protein to keep him going. He loves it and it's so cheap.:thumbsup2

I have a great stir fry recipe:

1 pound boneless sirloin steak about 1/2 inch thick
2 3oz packages beef flavored ramen noodles
2 c water
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 T oil
1/2 pound broccoli florets
2 thinly sliced, peeled carrots

Cut the steak into thin strips. Combine the seasoning packets, 1/2 c water and the cornstarch in a large bowl. Marinate the beef. Heat 1 T oil in a large skillet on med/high until hot. Stir fry the veggies for 1 minute. Add the broken up noodles and 1 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the noodles to a platter and keep warm. In the same skilllet heat 1 T oil again until hot. Add the beef and juice and stir fry until cooked through. Spoon the beef and juices over the noodles and serve.

We have also made it with chicken and chicken flavored noodles. The beef one is a favorite in our house. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter