question on check-in

WINTER

DIS Veteran
Going on 2nd cruise soon. I can't recall so going to ask here. 30 days prior I can check-in. Is there a box to click for check-in or is an email issued to respond to??

If you are Concierge or taking DCL transportation just know you can also just check in the morning after online check in starts because you won’t need to worry about a port arrival time. Most people are on there right at midnight because everyone else is jockeying for the earliest port arrival time.

Also, note that’s midnight local time in the Eastern time zone. Adjust accordingly for your location if necessary. We’re in the midwest (Central time), so we check in at 11 pm local time.

Our first cruise ever flying into port before sailing. What do we list at online check in time to move quickly through it at midnight?

Do I have to list air info or can I just say driving from home etc to save time?

TIA

Our first cruise ever flying into port before sailing. What do we list at online check in time to move quickly through it at midnight?

Do I have to list air info or can I just say driving from home etc to save time?

TIA

There is a good sticky thread with info on online check in. but, yes, you can skip entering the air info until later. Just say you are not flying.

MJ

Thanks. I should have clarified that this is DCL #11 but the first one that I have ever had to fly in for since they started asking for all this info at midnight. Which is why I had the air question. Ty for letting me know I can skip it for now.

Is it smart enough to know that there is no way we are driving to Puerto Rico though? That's my concern.
Why do you have to ask the question that is on my mind but I am trying to ignore the obvious since we both live in mainland 48 and there is no way drive from I-95 to Pan American Pier! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤪

I was just basking in the idea of saying driving from home and moving on but fully expecting it not to work on the back end.

Is it smart enough to know that there is no way we are driving to Puerto Rico though? That's my concern.
I doubt the questions are different based on your location — some passengers may live in Puerto Rico, and some may be spending extended time there before the cruise, so it should still accept Driving as an answer.

If you are Concierge or taking DCL transportation just know you can also just check in the morning after online check in starts because you won’t need to worry about a port arrival time. Most people are on there right at midnight because everyone else is jockeying for the earliest port arrival time.

I wanted to add my recent experience with Checking in and PAT times with using Disney Transportation. I had read here you do not have to PAT when using Disney transportation, assuming they would assign you a Boarding # automatically. This is not the case and what happened for us.

When I logged in at 800am to do my On Line check in it took me to the PAT screen and had me still have to pick a time for PAT. I thought why do I need to do this as I am taking Bus from MCO to the port and read you do not have to do this. I picked one anyway and it gave me a Boarding group # of 22, yikes never been over #10 in last 10 cruises so was a little worried about the late boarding #. Normally we do not take Disney transportation to the port.

So I called Disney to ask whats up? They told me I can arrive on any bus at anytime to the terminal but have to wait for my Boarding # to get on the ship. So even though I show up at 1100am to get in the terminal I would have to sit there (in the terminal) to wait for my boarding #.

So just wanted people to share my experience with how it works. I personally do not need to sit in the terminal for an hour or so waiting for my boarding #. I like to get on the boat as soon as I can but understanding the boarding # thing.

Also I was able to log back in a couple days later and move up in PAT time and thus get a better Boarding #, now I think we are boarding group #12, so will be getting on much sooner then #22.

So to sum up, it sounds like you still need a Boarding # when taking Disney transportation but do not need to follow the time it says to show up in the Terminal to get in (like people not taking Disney Transportation).

So to sum up, it sounds like you still need a Boarding # when taking Disney transportation but do not need to follow the time it says to show up in the Terminal to get in (like people not taking Disney Transportation).
This is my understanding from reports over the past year:

If you are taking Disney Cruise transportation from Walt Disney World, you do not need to select a port arrival time. There is only 1 time for the bus to pick you up, so DCL knows when you will arrive and will let you into the terminal at that time.

If you are taking Disney Cruise transportation from the Orlando airport, you do need to select a port arrival time. The buses run throughout the morning and afternoon, so DCL wants to know which bus you intend to take to manage capacity at the port. If you have an early morning flight but can't get an early arrival time, your choices are to hang out at the airport and take a later bus, to hang out near the cruise terminal (hoping you will be allowed in before your PAT), or to keep trying to get an earlier PAT on the DCL site.

I had read here you do not have to PAT when using Disney transportation, assuming they would assign you a Boarding # automatically. This is not the case and what happened for us.
Sorry that happened. That USED to be true, DCL transfers from MCO didn't used to need a PAT. It changed since the restart. Now guests taking DCL transfers from MCO do need to select a PAT during online check-in. Guests taking DCL transfers from WDW resorts or the MCO Hyatt Lobby do not need PAT.

Sorry that happened. That USED to be true, DCL transfers from MCO didn't used to need a PAT. It changed since the restart. Now guests taking DCL transfers from MCO do need to select a PAT during online check-in. Guests taking DCL transfers from WDW resorts or the MCO Hyatt Lobby do not need PAT.

Thanks everyone for the replies...

Just to clarify you do not need to follow a PAT to jump on the bus at the airport (this is not for WDW or Hyatt people from what others said). You can get on the 1st bus if that is your thing, Cast member said they will not turn you away.

For example if my PAT at the port is 1200-1215, I can still jump on a bus at 930am, I will get there around 1045-1100, I will be let in the Terminal since I took Disney transportation...but Then I will still need to wait for my Boarding # to be called, if your #20 that might not get called till Noon or after...So I would be sitting in the terminal (not outside) waiting for my boarding #. I asked specifically about this. Cast member said your boarding group will dictate when let on the boat (different then being let in the terminal).

My confusion was in reading here that I though the PAT and Boarding group would be assigned since I was taking Disney Bus from Airport, that was not the case.

So bottom Line is you still need a Boarding # to get on the Boat. This is different then a PAT when taking Disney Bus from MCO, that was my misunderstanding and reason for the post, as these are 2 different things.

Last edited:
So bottom Line is you still need a Boarding # to get on the Boat. This is different then a PAT when taking Disney Bus from MCO, that was my misunderstanding and reason for the post, as these are 2 different things.
You're right, PAT and Boarding Group are 2 different things. However the boarding group is tied to the PAT. You select a PAT then the boarding group is assigned. There is no ability to select a boarding group.

So ultimately one must still select a PAT when taking DCL transfers from MCO. PAT does not come into play with regards to boarding the bus, though boarding group # (which is tied to the PAT) will impact the timing of boarding the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!