Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever the mods actually get around to this thread, I ask that they lock it and don't make it "poof".

1) Locking it shows the subject has come up, degenerated, and shouldn't be brought up again. Making it disappear means someone else might start the conversation again.
2) I don't want to lose the likes I've gotten from the thread. (this is the more important reason :rotfl2: )
Oooo - Do we lose likes on poofs? :D

People who identify as LGBTQ are a vast minority of the population so it’s just interesting why they go out so much for pride month.
It's not just LGBTQ+ people that celebrate Pride Month ... those of us that love and care about people who are LGBTQ+ are excited about it too. Many of us have seen our family members or friends in the LGBTQ+ community struggle with discrimination, being told they are sinners, being accused of grooming kids, not being allowed to be who they are. So, Pride Month is such a happy thing to celebrate for us.

Yeah totally agree that wasn’t my point lol. I don‘t think you should go someplace you don’t feel comfortable. My point was that Christmas has such a big presence in the parks because it is very important (and is a huge money maker) to the vast majority of Americans. People who identify as LGBTQ are a vast minority of the population so it’s just interesting why they go out so much for pride month. I don’t care if the park sells rainbow cupcakes. I don’t buy any kind of cupcakes at Disney. I mean it’s either because Pride month upselling is a huge money generator for Disney or there’s a social agenda at play. Just wondering which one it is I guess.
I don’t care who goes where or who boycotts what. It doesn’t affect my life.
There are tons of people that don't identify as LGBTQ+ that celebrate as well (allies)

There are enough people who enjoy and embrace this celebration and get much joy from this recognition. Some loathe it and don't think it should even be a Thing.

I'm sure there are many who loathe the relentless Christmas-in-your-face season too. But I don't see a call from anyone to stop Christmas celebrations anywhere at WDW.

Yeah totally agree that wasn’t my point lol. I don‘t think you should go someplace you don’t feel comfortable. My point was that Christmas has such a big presence in the parks because it is very important (and is a huge money maker) to the vast majority of Americans. People who identify as LGBTQ are a vast minority of the population so it’s just interesting why they go out so much for pride month. I don’t care if the park sells rainbow cupcakes. I don’t buy any kind of cupcakes at Disney. I mean it’s either because Pride month upselling is a huge money generator for Disney or there’s a social agenda at play. Just wondering which one it is I guess.
I don’t care who goes where or who boycotts what. It doesn’t affect my life.
Don't get me wrong, I really have no problem with Disney (any company) decorating for Christmas. I wanted to show how ridiculous it sounds to say Disney SHOULDN'T decorate for Christmas because it offends someone. But that's exactly what people think about the Pride decorations/merch... Disney SHOULDN'T do it. I'm still not sure why, you can't get someone to say (or I'm too obtuse to get it).

A thought from the OP here....

It would be nice to keep the personal attacks from and toward posters away from the thread. Attacks like that are certainly one way to have the thread closed. Personal attacks on others are not needed here.

I started the thread to simply show how much Disney was doing at the parks for Pride Month. I thought all the stuff was pretty neat and just wanted to share it. As threads tend to do, it has evolved. That's fine, good discussions are good. Personal attacks and slams are not good. Let's all try to allow this thread a life.

Not according to my dictionary...maybe you need to look it up again.

Dictionary​

Data from Oxford Languages

Look it up

het·er·o·sex·u·al
[ˌhedərōˈsekSH(əw)əl]

ADJECTIVE
  1. sexually or romantically attracted exclusively to people of the other sex:
    "I consider myself heterosexual"
    SIMILAR:
    straight
    hetero
    het

NOUN
  1. a person who is sexually or romantically attracted exclusively to people of the other sex:
    "the court ruled same-sex couples must be given the same rights as married heterosexuals"
Again, gender and sexual preference are not the same thing! One can be heterosexual and transgender.

I didn't learn about much of this in my life so I wanted to take the opportunity to thank those of you trying to educate others about all these things. I've learned a great deal reading this thread and I appreciate the knowledge. Thanks very much.
That's the beauty of so-called critical thinking. I wasn't much aware of women's issues until college (mid-'80s), when I met people who were all too happy to enlighten me. I learned, and changed/formed my worldview. I continue to evolve.

Last edited:
A thought from the OP here....

It would be nice to keep the personal attacks from and toward posters away from the thread. Attacks like that are certainly one way to have the thread closed. Personal attacks on others are not needed here.

I started the thread to simply show how much Disney was doing at the parks for Pride Month. I thought all the stuff was pretty neat and just wanted to share it. As threads tend to do, it has evolved. That's fine, good discussions are good. Personal attacks and slams are not good. Let's all try to allow this thread a life.
Discussions are good, it’s just very frustrating that every single post I have seen online celebrating Pride Month has been invaded by haters screaming about pushing agendas down people’s throats. Even a simple post highlighting what you can do at the parks for Pride. I got into arguments with a ton of people on Instagram because they were mad about LBGTQ+ picture book recommendations for kids.

Wouldn't it be nice if people just didn't:
Read
Watch
Comment on
Buy
Participate in
Lament About
Gripe about
Have such forceful views
On all the things they just don't agree with.
It really is just that simple!
I slightly disagree. I think it's important to read/watch/comment on things you disagree with. You might learn something. BUT, I agree it is VERY easy to only read/watch/comment on things you already agree with.

Everyone should feel free to express their opinions and not be "attacked" for them. I put attack in quotes, because being challenged over your opinions is good, but some will feel they're being attacked, while others think they're being challenged. If anyone considers my comments in this thread as an "attack", I apologize. That is not my intent. I will NOT apologize for challenging your opinions and thoughts.

Am I the only one that will admit the Pride cake tastes awful? Lol
I think most store, bakery and restaurant cakes taste terrible. For me, exceptions are Pillsbury (I think that is the brand) Bundt cakes (but then those are more or less homemade) and Costco sheet cakes. And yesterday, we did have cupcakes at a graduation party. I had two, a vanilla one and a chocolate one. They were very good also.

Marie just told me they were from Sam's Club. SC cakes are pretty much like Costco and I presume the cupcakes were made with the cake batter also.

I’ve always taught my children that they don’t need to change their values or convictions. They just need to be tolerant and respectful.
All lives do matter who would have thought that was wrong.
Being tolerant and respectful includes using a person’s chosen pronouns and respecting their expressions of self, even pride. That’s just basic human kindness.

I think most store, bakery and restaurant cakes taste terrible. For me, exceptions are Pillsbury (I think that is the brand) Bundt cakes (but then those are more or less homemade) and Costco sheet cakes. And yesterday, we did have cupcakes at a graduation party. I had two, a vanilla one and a chocolate one. They were very good also.

Marie just told me they were from Sam's Club. SC cakes are pretty much like Costco and I presume the cupcakes were made with the cake batter also.
Tiny derailment - DD11 came to me this morning with a sad face and said she just learned Costco and Walmart cakes were not made with love by a bakery lady in the back. 😆

Note: I did not teach her that it was only ladies who baked. She just knows that is who she normally saw at the store. Right. Wrong. Or indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter