Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always feel that way about king cakes. They’re so colorful and sparkly. But meh. Always bad.

Don't get me wrong, I really have no problem with Disney (any company) decorating for Christmas. I wanted to show how ridiculous it sounds to say Disney SHOULDN'T decorate for Christmas because it offends someone. But that's exactly what people think about the Pride decorations/merch... Disney SHOULDN'T do it. I'm still not sure why, you can't get someone to say (or I'm too obtuse to get it).
Sometimes I think people (not necessarily you but people in general) don’t really read everything someone says. I don’t care if they have pride merchandise. I know there are allies of the LGBTQ community that like pride events. My point is why is pride month celebrated at Disney (when we can all agree the majority of the population don’t care about it) while July 4th gets 3 days and Easter gets a week (which most people do celebrate). I will admit I don’t care about pride month one way or the other. I won’t avoid Disney during that time. I also won’t buy any pride merchandise. So I’m a net neutral for the company (Disney). I’m just curious why the discrepancy for Disney. No one has answered it or disputed it so I guess they don’t know. If you know let me know because I’m curious.

Sometimes I think people (not necessarily you but people in general) don’t really read everything someone says. I don’t care if they have pride merchandise. I know there are allies of the LGBTQ community that like pride events. My point is why is pride month celebrated at Disney (when we can all agree the majority of the population don’t care about it) while July 4th gets 3 days and Easter gets a week (which most people do celebrate). I will admit I don’t care about pride month one way or the other. I won’t avoid Disney during that time. I also won’t buy any pride merchandise. So I’m a net neutral for the company (Disney). I’m just curious why the discrepancy for Disney. No one has answered it or disputed it so I guess they don’t know. If you know let me know because I’m curious.
Disney is a for profit company. If its customers wanted “Easter Month” they’d do it.

Fourth of July weekend - everywhere
easter/Holy Week - everywhere
gay pride month - everywhere

On the other hand Halloween is celebrated from August until end of October, Christmas celebrated from November til end of December. They've increased Halloween significantly due to guests signaling they want this.

Is there a discrepancy here or just a pick and choose type situation of what someone compares something to?

Well, no one here KNOWS, but we can make educated guesses...

"Pride Month", I was under the impression at least, is NOT just a "Disney Thing". It's celebrated by many people/organizations/companies. Similar to Black History Month, Women's History Month, etc. So Disney is just using the "declaration" of the entire month.

Now, as far as why they celebrate it vs ignore it (don't remember them doing merchandise and decorations for Black History Month, Women's History Month, Jewish American Month, etc), is probably a combination of two reasons...
1) Wanting to show support for their employees and customers that are LGBTQIA (and their "supporters").
2) MONEY. I think Disney (any company) has research that shows they can make more money by promoting Pride Month and letting it last all month, vs a month of celebrations for July 4th/Easter.

I think you are confusing the terms.
Hetero or **** sexuality refers to your SEXUALITY.
Cis or Trans refers to your GENDER.

As someone said before, you can be a cis heterosexual male or a trans homosexual female (or any other of the numerous combinations).

I am curious, since you brought it up, and I'll ask @White Cat the same... you're complaining that posters/people are being intolerant of you. How, exactly? Because they think your view is wrong? If that's the definition of "intolerant", then it's going to be a circle.
Interesting. The board censors the word ****.

My point is why is pride month celebrated at Disney (when we can all agree the majority of the population don’t care about it) while July 4th gets 3 days and Easter gets a week (which most people do celebrate).
I don't believe for one second that Disney really cares about the LBGT community at all. They're just going to celebrate whatever they believe will bring in millions of dollars. Who can blame them? They're a business.

As a football fan. Why do we need a full month for breast cancer awareness but nothing for prostate cancer. As Scar says life is not always fair. I have been to Disneyland many times in June. Not much different than July except for more grad nights.

On the other hand Halloween is celebrated from August until end of October, Christmas celebrated from November til end of December. They've increased Halloween significantly due to guests signaling they want this.

Is there a discrepancy here or just a pick and choose type situation of what someone compares something to?
I mentioned Christmas and Halloween in another post but felt it wasn’t apples to apples comparing pride month to those holidays. Disney goes over the top for those because they are celebrated by most Americans. And they do monster merchandising as well as special events. There is no comparison. I felt that say July 4th and Easter were comparable because those are basically special treats and maybe a little merchandise holidays at Disney. Like Pride month. The difference is that 1. Pride gets a whole month and 2. The vast majority of people in America celebrate Easter (in at least a secular sense) and July 4th which is widely celebrated by almost all Americans. So it’s just weird is all. But whatever, as some posters have said it’s most likely a money thing so I guess I’ll just go with that.

I like to read different peoples take on things. It keeps me on my toes lol. I hope no one thinks it’s wrong to ask legitimate questions or give thoughtful opinions.

Super cute ornaments!

That's adorable

As a football fan. Why do we need a full month for breast cancer awareness but nothing for prostate cancer. As Scar says life is not always fair. I have been to Disneyland many times in June. Not much different than July except for more grad nights.
Don’t get me started on that. I wish that all sports organizations would focus just on sports and stop it with every other cause. I’m not saying that breast cancer awareness is not important but so are so many other things. Just play sports for goodness sakes.

Don’t get me started on that. I wish that all sports organizations would focus just on sports and stop it with every other cause. I’m not saying that breast cancer awareness is not important but so are so many other things. Just play sports for goodness sakes.
They probably do it to get more female viewers

I don't believe for one second that Disney really cares about the LBGT community at all. They're just going to celebrate whatever they believe will bring in millions of dollars. Who can blame them? They're a business.
I wouldn’t say they don’t care, but they certainly wouldn’t be going to this extent if there wasn’t a market for it.

Honestly though I don’t think they’re doing that much for Pride. They slapped some stuff on walls and released a bunch of merchandise. The fireworks show for 4th of July is a far bigger investment than what Disney has invested for pride despite it only being a couple days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter