Possible Motion Sickness Question

CynBeth

DIS Veteran
Unless we cancel in November will be visiting Disney but spend a few days before that at Universal and are staying on property for the first time for a few days at Portofino. It has changed so much since we were last there. My DH and I are ride wimps we do not go on any roller coasters or anything with a drop but at Disney love Mission Space Green, Star Tours, Soarin’, and Flight of Passage. We know that Universal has a lot of simulator rides and are not sure if we will have any issues with motion sickness so am wondering if we should either have the patch that you would use on a cruise or buy a pill either over the counter or prescription. He has some health issues and is on some medicine so plans to check with one of his doctors but before that wanted advice from the wonderful experts on this board what you recommend and think is best for us. Thanks!

The only rides my husband has had a slight feeling of motion sickness was the Simpson Ride and Forbidden Journey. Otherwise, he's been fine. For him to feel motion sickness at all is surprising, he flies a helicopter for work and has had his share of rough flights.

I've gone on rides with a migraine and didn't get motion sickness at all...that shows how much it can vary from one person to another.

I get it. I'm a bit of ride coward too. If you can handle Star Tours and Soarin' you will probably be okay with most of the simulator rides. The only exception might be The Simpsons Ride. I'm not sure if I would count Forbidden Journey as a simulator ride, but that can be an intense ride for some people (for me, it's my limit in terms of ride intensity but one of my good friends has a higher tolerance loves the more intense thrill rides/coasters). Everyone is different.

My over the counter motion sickness medication recommendation is Bonine. It is non-drowsy and one pill lasts for 24 hours.

The Simpsons ride gave me my worst motion sickness ever. Star Tours was a close 2nd.

The Hogwarts and Gringotts rides both combine a lot of fast movement with simulation. I had to close my eyes for a bit oh the Hogwarts one, but I have to do that on FOP too.

It really depends on how susceptible you are to motion sickness. If you're about average, definitely bring some Bonine or Dramamine with you because Forbidden Journey and the Simpsons rides are pretty notorious for making people suffer. I'm really susceptible to motion sickness, so I depend on the scopolamine patch for anything that might tip me over the edge. It's the only way I can get into a boat without wanting to die.

Ginger is okay for pushing through the nausea if you don't have any medications on you, or if you forgot to take the medications in advance. The sea bands are mostly placebo effect imo.

I get motion sick and take a 24 hour Dramamine...

Even on the med, I occasionally have to sit and breathe for 10-15 minutes after Forbidden Journey (and thus, I promise my family I will only now ride it 1x/trip, which is what I did in May). Simpsons is the 2nd worst, but I do fine on it fully medicated. Every other ride, I can handle sans med unless I was riding multiple times in a row...and with the med, I can ride any time of day...

Reactions: AJA

So if we are not sure if we will get motion sick on FJ and Simpsons should we do the patch or take the Bonnie?

So if we are not sure if we will get motion sick on FJ and Simpsons should we do the patch or take the Bonnie?

If you can normally handle all the Disney rides, just take the pill...but do Forbidden Journey while your pill is most potent:)...

Has anyone tried the Relief Band? I hear it works well. I still get really queasy on FOP even on dramamine so I am worried about a lot of the rides.

Normally i don't have issues with motion sickness, but i found that after a full day of rides some got to me more than they usually would. I have no issues with actual movement, but do find the screens blah. Forbidden journey, Simpson's, and Minions made me not feel great. I only replied because no one else had mentioned Minions, so i thought i would throw it out there.

Has anyone tried the Relief Band? I hear it works well. I still get really queasy on FOP even on dramamine so I am worried about a lot of the rides.
Relief bands can work, but each person reacts differently to them. They don't do help me at all sadly.

As for Universal rides, both Simpsons and FJ caused a lot of issues for me at USH so I imagine it's the same at USO. Nothing at Disney have ever given me even any challenges but I avoid the Tea Cups as I'm sure that would go badly.

For me I think many factors play into motion sickness. Last month I rode rides back to back and no issues including simulators. I did take bonine each morning just in case. This past weekend I got crazy sick on Saturday after 3 rides in a row. Again, had taken Bonine in the morning. Yesterday no sickness after same three rides in a row. I think the day I got motion sickness I was extra tired, had caffeine prior and didn’t eat a lot beforehand. So maybe yesterday I was better hydrated and more rested. It’s a puzzle for me.

I'm a big fan of the patch and use it for any park visits and cruises.

I've tried prescription meclazine, dramamine, non-drowsy dramamine, bonnine, etc. Every one of those, even those that say non-drowsy, knock me out. I feel like a zombie and, if I sit down for more than a few minutes, I could easily go to sleep. The last time I tried one of those, we went back to the room for a mid-day break and I slept for hours. My wife said she couldn't wake me up.

I had a Relief Band, but never tried it in the parks. I did try it for a taxi ride once, and it helped, but not a lot.

I used to travel frequently for work and in my arrival city, I had to take a taxi between the airport and the city (we weren't allowed to use a ride share service). It was about a 15-30 minute drive and every time, I'd be green by the end of it and thinking if it went on for one more minute, there was going to be an issue.

I got a Relief Band and tried that for the taxi rides. I wasn't green by the end, but I certainly wasn't my normal color, either. It felt like it bought me another 10 minutes.

The patch allows me to ride anything and not really feel sick. The only ride that pushed the limits for me was the crazy side of Mission Space - but that may have also been claustrophobia related. Before that ride even started, I was looking for the 'how do I stop this thing if I need to' button.

I've only had some minor side effects from the patch (a few hours of minor blurry vision, some dizziness after taking off the last patch, and maybe some dry mouth). To help with the post-patch dizziness, I wear the last patch for a few extra days. I've convinced myself that it helps to slowly wean off of them - no idea if that has any scientific backing, but it works for me. ;)

One of my step daughters has tried the patch a few times and gets headaches from it - overall, she'd rather deal with the headache and be able to ride things than to skip the patch. She'll try to manage the headache with tylenol or whatever.

Reactions: AJA
Unless we cancel in November will be visiting Disney but spend a few days before that at Universal and are staying on property for the first time for a few days at Portofino. It has changed so much since we were last there. My DH and I are ride wimps we do not go on any roller coasters or anything with a drop but at Disney love Mission Space Green, Star Tours, Soarin’, and Flight of Passage. We know that Universal has a lot of simulator rides and are not sure if we will have any issues with motion sickness so am wondering if we should either have the patch that you would use on a cruise or buy a pill either over the counter or prescription. He has some health issues and is on some medicine so plans to check with one of his doctors but before that wanted advice from the wonderful experts on this board what you recommend and think is best for us. Thanks!
The Simpson ride put me out of commission for a day. I was so ill. I can ride any roller coaster and due to the movement very little ill feeling. Soarin and Flight of Passage............. it is all over for me!! I have to take medication to fly and sail. I give most rides one try but must admit I have closed my eyes to get through a couple. After a first try and results, I am a good "waiter" while my traveling party rides though.

I get motion sickness and I use the over the counter Patches. The patches work well for me at Universal and I still have to plan around FJ and the Simpsons.
Do not attempt either on a full stomach if you get the least bit sick on motion rides.

Everything worked out well with the patch. We loved all of the motion sims we are able to go on including Simpsons and FJ. Unfortunately did not have time to get to Kong or Spider-Man. We had an amazing time loved Portofino and now we are off to Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter