Popcorn kernel stuck in my throat! UPDATE ~ It's Gone!! p. 8

What should I do?? It's been there since Saturday evening. It happens to me ALL the time but it's usually gone by the next day. Now it's been almost 2 days and I'm starting to get nervous! I can't see it, it feels like it's really down there. I don't want it to cause an infection or anything and it's really uncomfortable! I've tried gargling, drinking soda, obviously I've eaten a lot since then....

I'm thinking about going to Urgent Care but what will they be able to do really? Should I go or give it a couple more days?
....yell at your students - that should dislodge it! [ :rotfl: ]

Great to see you again, Nikki!!

:wave2: Hey!!! I miss the DISboards so much but I just can't get back into it! I'm confused about how it looks, even though it's been changed for years. I just sign in every once in a while to check notifications on old threads. I especially miss getting to know other DISers and running into them in the parks!

I found this post and I’m currently living this nightmare. It’s been like 7 hours since I’ve gotten a popcorn husk stuck in what feels like the back of my tonsil. I feel like I’ve tried EVERYTHING and it won’t come loose. It’s driving me crazy, and it hurts worse than any sore throat I’ve ever had before. It’s like the husk is digging into my throat and holding on for dear life.

Not sure if I’m just shouting into the void by writing this, but this post is comforting. It’s nice to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I don’t know if anyone still reads this but I was hooked and had to know if Nikki got the husk out! Even 8 years later! I can’t imagine eating popcorn ever again!

I’m hoping the bread trick works tomorrow, or I might be tempted to head straight to the ER.

Wow - I can't believe I never saw this thread over the years :).

So glad it all worked out for Niki of course and what a horrible feeling to have. Funny, as soon as I saw this thread this morning, I thought - wow something similar happened to me about a month ago with watermelon. I choked on a piece of it, really choked and got stuck. I thought hubby had to try the "H" (can't spell it) maneuver. It finally came out but my throat did end up scratched and it hurt like hell for about a week. I also usually choke on popcorn and only frosted flakes cereal......I love popcorn but sort of gave up on it only because the yellow layer/skin gets caught in my gums and travels up too where I can get it out for a few days lol.

Elizabeth, I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you feel/what happens.

This thread must be the premier internet resource for popcorn kernel mishaps because it’s the third of fourth time I’ve seen it bumped by first time posters. :rotfl:

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Elizabeth.
It was actually 4th in the list when I googled it just for chuckles. It's the only one that says "It's Gone!!" though, so that must be a beacon of hope for the afflicted. :goodvibes
upload_2018-7-4_22-48-33.png

I know this thread is very old, but it was the first thing that popped up when I typed it into Google last night.
Just wanted to share my story and what helped, since others will probably be coming this way on occasion.
I had a kernel stuck in my throat all night for about 12 hours.
It hurt and was annoying, and possibly due to irritation it felt like my throat was closing up.
I tried everything and was an hour away from eating a raw egg and then last hope was to go to the urgent care.

I should point out that I'm on a very low-carb diet due to high blood pressure and I'm also allergic to dairy. But due to my desperation I ate a ton of bread and other foods such as cereal with milk and yogurt (I had read elsewhere online these things would work)

However, what finally worked for me was eating a hard biscuit/cookie/cracker type thing. Soft breads and foods weren't doing anything, I think it was the roughness of the biscuit that helped to dislodge the kernel and bring it down.

My blood pressure is currently through the roof and I've been having stomach issues due to eating foods I shouldn't, but it was worth it.
Moral of the story: I AM DONE WITH POPCORN!

Since it’s apparent millions of people will be coming here for help with this problem, I figured I better do my civic duty and share some of the remedies I found:

Natural Ways To Remove Popcorn Shell Stuck In Throat
  • The first thing that needs to be done is to drink water or something liquid. Usually when you gulp water or liquid, the stuck popcorn shell is washed down from food pipe into the stomach. If you still feel it has not done the trick, try some fizzy drink such as soda or ginger ale.The fizz of soda or any other aerated drink will facilitate the stuck kernel of popcorn to move forward into the stomach.
  • If after drinking liquid you feel the popcorn has still remained stuck in the throat, try to remove it by eating some soft food such as a slice of bread. When the munched bread makes its way through the food pipe, it takes along with it the stuck popcorn shell. The other effective food that can deal with stuck popcorn is banana or a ball of cooked rice. Banana being slippery helps to slide down the stuck popcorn. Same is with rice.
  • Alternating coughing and swallowing often helps to dislodge the stuck popcorn kernel from the throat.
  • Drinking a small amount of olive oil sometimes helps to dislodge the stuck kernel of popcorn from the throat. You can also gulp egg yolk, which is slippery to dislodge popcorn from the throat.
  • Heilmlich maneuver is proved beneficial for dislodging any food particle from the throat. This requires some expertise and help of another person. In this procedure the person has to stand behind the affected person clasping the hands around the waist of the patient. Now the clasped fist should be located in patient’s middle part of upper abdomen, above the umbilicus. The person behind the patient should grasp his fist which is in the midsection and push it upwards or give it an upward thrust. However, do not put excess pressure or else the rib may get damaged. Repeat the abdominal thrusts frequently till the popcorn kernel is expelled. This maneuver helps to expel food particle stuck in the throat as the air inside the lungs is forced out from the lungs. Sometimes it can also cause vomiting.
If all the above measure fail to give relief, it is necessary to consult an ENT surgeon. The doctor may examine the throat with special instruments. With the instruments and light focused inside the throat, he is able to visualize the stuck food particle. He may also use a scope that may reach inside deep down the throat. With the help of scope he will be able to pick the stuck popcorn kernel in throat.

Because of the risk of popcorn kernel getting stuck in throat, children should not be encouraged to eat. If the child complains of stuck popcorn, a visit to the doctor is necessary to prevent complications.

https://www.tandurust.com/alternativetherapies/popcorn-stuck-in-throat-how-to-remove.html

Good luck, fellow popcorn lovers! popcorn::

So I thought the kernel dislodged itself, but now I can feel it again! And my throat hasn’t gotten any better. Waiting to make an ENT appointment on Monday because apparently all of them are closed this weekend :/

I’ve tried all the remedies the internet has to offer, but the kernel is still there. It’s driving me crazy!

Hey my name is Nikki also. I just read through 8 pages of comments and I am living this nightmare right now! I’ve had a popcorn shell stuck in my throat for 4 days and it’s driving me insane! It’s all I can think about! I guess I’ll end up going to the doctor like the original Nikki because absolutely nothing else has worked to get it loose. Mine feels like it’s down at the bottom of my neck too, not where I can see or get to it. Once this is resolved I swear I’ll never eat popcorn again!! :worried:

Hey my name is Nikki also. I just read through 8 pages of comments and I am living this nightmare right now! I’ve had a popcorn shell stuck in my throat for 4 days and it’s driving me insane! It’s all I can think about! I guess I’ll end up going to the doctor like the original Nikki because absolutely nothing else has worked to get it loose. Mine feels like it’s down at the bottom of my neck too, not where I can see or get to it. Once this is resolved I swear I’ll never eat popcorn again!! :worried:
Hi Nikki. Please confirm my theory: Did you find the DIS CB by googling "popcorn kernel stuck in throat"? :scratchin

Just as it's coming up on the NINE year anniversary of this post being made, I'm dealing with this right now and stumbled upon this thread when searching for help. Everyone who helped out is smarter than me...it's been eight days and no luck. I've tried everything except going to a doctor. I'm going to a clinic tomorrow bc my throat started bleeding tonight and it's just so frustrating that I can't deal with it anymore. Mine's within reach at the back of my throat, but even so I can't get it out. Someone made a comment a while ago about it being stuck in the tonsillar crypts (?) and I think that's what's wrong for me. Hopefully the doctor at the clinic will help!

Just as it's coming up on the NINE year anniversary of this post being made, I'm dealing with this right now and stumbled upon this thread when searching for help. Everyone who helped out is smarter than me...it's been eight days and no luck. I've tried everything except going to a doctor. I'm going to a clinic tomorrow bc my throat started bleeding tonight and it's just so frustrating that I can't deal with it anymore. Mine's within reach at the back of my throat, but even so I can't get it out. Someone made a comment a while ago about it being stuck in the tonsillar crypts (?) and I think that's what's wrong for me. Hopefully the doctor at the clinic will help!
Welcome to The Dis. I am sorry for the way it came to be. I hope all goes well at the Dr. I can't imagine having something stuck in my throat for days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter