• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll: Should the little mermaid ride and/or actors be updated to reflect the new movie?

Poll: Should the little mermaid ride and/or actors be updated to reflect the new movie?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • No

Votes: 180 86.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I'll come back to this in 2021

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Indifferent completely

Votes: 23 11.1%

• Total voters
Wanting a storybook character to remain true to its original first visual form (or descriptive written form) it not being racist at all. People who claim it is has no concept of what racism actually IS and therefore undermine any progress being made against it.

Then I look forward to seeing the Hispanic Tiana, the white Moana, and the Asian Merida. You do support that, right?
You look forward to changing Tiana’s Story, a princess that black little girls waited over 70 years to get, because you’re mad about the Little Mermaid?

Interesting. Petty, but interesting.

The little mermaid can be easily changed up, Mermaids are fantasy.

You look forward to changing Tiana’s Story, a princess that black little girls waited over 70 years to get, because you’re mad about the Little Mermaid?

Interesting. Petty, but interesting.

The little mermaid can be easily changed up, Mermaids are fantasy.

I get it but please see my previous comment. Thanks. :thanks:

I get it but please see my previous comment. Thanks. :thanks:
You don’t get to decide the topic of conversation or how it flows. I’m pretty sure you know that, though, and it’s like you’re talking to yourself at this point.

Welcome back to the Dis, by the way! What an interesting topic to start for your first post after so many years!

You don’t get to decide the topic of conversation or how it flows. I’m pretty sure you know that, though, and it’s like you’re talking to yourself at this point.

Welcome back to the Dis, by the way! What an interesting topic to start for your first post after so many years!

Yes, I get that. A Dis moderator should help with this thread though before it gets heated and shut down. Thanks for the kind words. 😩 If the thread is not to the moderators liking, no hard feelings in closing it down.

Yes, I get that. A Dis moderator should help with this thread though before it gets heated and shut down. Thanks for the kind words. 😩 If the thread is not to the moderators liking, no hard feelings in closing it down.
I would not worry about that, the moderators always respond quickly to remove posts that do not meet their standards

No, because I want everything in the parks to stay based on the classic animation. This goes for all the live action remakes, not just LM.

I have no issues with Halle Bailey being cast as Ariel, I just hate the live action remakes in general and think they're pointless.

If I knew that, I wouldn’t have posted it, right?

I don’t pay attention to anything to do with him so I don’t know, or care, how it all played out.

After the fact, there is video evidence of Amber Heard saying he did not abuse her. There is also video evidence showing her the day after she appeared in court showcasing heavy bruising. The next 5 days after court she was caught on video with no bruises at all. She used make up to make herself appear as if he had beaten her so that she could get a restraining order against him. Dep now has a 50 mil defamation lawsuit against her.

I SO hope she gets her just desserts.

Regarding the other, and this will be my last comment on it at the OP's request, no one cares what race a character is. The complaints are that the race should remain the same throughout the characters story - regardless how that story is told. It will confuse children and take away from the immersion that is the beauty of any story. There would be just as much uproar if it were any other character whether you think so or not. People fall in love with these characters. They grow up with them, share them with their children, and make magical memories. Having to break that immersion to explain something like this to a confused child takes the magic away.

After the fact, there is video evidence of Amber Heard saying he did not abuse her. There is also video evidence showing her the day after she appeared in court showcasing heavy bruising. The next 5 days after court she was caught on video with no bruises at all. She used make up to make herself appear as if he had beaten her so that she could get a restraining order against him. Dep now has a 50 mil defamation lawsuit against her.

I SO hope she gets her just desserts.

I didn’t know any of that. That’s a pretty crappy thing to do.

I don’t want any of the rides updated to reflect the live action movies because I go to Disney to see the original characters. Plus, I think the live action movies are Disney being lazy. They should be coming up with new stories.

As for Pirates of the Caribbean, I’m fine with changing the scene that depicted women being sold into sexual slavery, but I don’t like all the Jack Sparrow add ins. I think comparing that to live action remakes is apples and oranges though. POTC was a movie based (loosely) on a ride.

I haven't seen them change any rides or characters in the park to look more like the live-action versions of animated movies yet, so I highly doubt they will change Ariel in the rides or as a character, either.

However, I think it would be very nice if they offered merchandise of Ariel from both movies. They offer multiple versions of other characters in the stores (Tsum Tsums, anyone? Different versions of Mickey & Minnie, etc.) so offering different versions of Ariel merchandise would fit right in with the precedent they have already set. :)

Kids (and adults) come to associate a certain look with a certain character. I think some kids will be confused.

I think kids (in general) are a lot more flexible with their imaginations than you give them credit for. Kids of all shapes, sizes, races, and genders dress up as Disney characters. When we go to Halloween events we see kids dressed up as characters who, in the movie, were portrayed to look different than the child wearing the costume. And the kids are fine with that. I've seen other little kids point to an "Elsa" and say "There's another Elsa!!" (Because there are always about 90 of them. ;) ) and they don't say "Oh, that girl can't be Elsa. She doesn't look like her." Nope. You put on the Elsa dress, and you're Elsa. You don't even need the wig. Lots of kids ditch the wig eventually, anyway. ;)

Same with Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny....every decoration, mall version, movie version looks different, and yet kids readily accept that all of those different Santas & Easter Bunnies as completely fine. Why? Partly because parents tell them things like: "It's just a story about Santa, or the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy, and that's how the person telling this story or drawing this story imagined Santa (etc) to look." Same with Ariel or any other character.

Take a look at how JK Rowling imagined mermaids! Now there's a version of Ariel that might freak a kid out. ;) But that's just it...we all get to imagine a mermaid however we want and we can change how we imagine them from one day to another, or multiple times within a day. If you ask a child to draw a mermaid they will. Then if you ask them to draw a mermaid again, immediately, but ask them to imagine it differently, they can do that. Kids, in general, are good at imagination. :) If a parent simply says "There's a new Little Mermaid movie and this time they used real people instead of drawings.", the kids are already expecting a change. Take one second longer to explain that they decided that Ariel would look different than she did in the last movie, and most kids will accept that just fine. :)

I think kids (in general) are a lot more flexible with their imaginations than you give them credit for. Kids of all shapes, sizes, races, and genders dress up as Disney characters. When we go to Halloween events we see kids dressed up as characters who, in the movie, were portrayed to look different than the child wearing the costume. And the kids are fine with that. I've seen other little kids point to an "Elsa" and say "There's another Elsa!!" (Because there are always about 90 of them. ;) ) and they don't say "Oh, that girl can't be Elsa. She doesn't look like her." Nope. You put on the Elsa dress, and you're Elsa. You don't even need the wig. Lots of kids ditch the wig eventually, anyway. ;)

Same with Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny....every decoration, mall version, movie version looks different, and yet kids readily accept that all of those different Santas & Easter Bunnies as completely fine. Why? Partly because parents tell them things like: "It's just a story about Santa, or the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy, and that's how the person telling this story or drawing this story imagined Santa (etc) to look." Same with Ariel or any other character.

Take a look at how JK Rowling imagined mermaids! Now there's a version of Ariel that might freak a kid out. ;) But that's just it...we all get to imagine a mermaid however we want and we can change how we imagine them from one day to another, or multiple times within a day. If you ask a child to draw a mermaid they will. Then if you ask them to draw a mermaid again, immediately, but ask them to imagine it differently, they can do that. Kids, in general, are good at imagination. :) If a parent simply says "There's a new Little Mermaid movie and this time they used real people instead of drawings.", the kids are already expecting a change. Take one second longer to explain that they decided that Ariel would look different than she did in the last movie, and most kids will accept that just fine. :)
Very, very good points and well-put!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter