Poll: Should the little mermaid ride and/or actors be updated to reflect the new movie?

Poll: Should the little mermaid ride and/or actors be updated to reflect the new movie?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • No

Votes: 180 86.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I'll come back to this in 2021

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Indifferent completely

Votes: 23 11.1%

• Total voters

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
There are no wrong answers. No political views please. I'm just curious what the feeling is out there. I'm mainly asking about the setting of the new movie being set in the Caribbean and any new costumes used in the movie. Similarly to how the Pirates of the Caribbean ride changed after the movies. The movie is also rumored to have new songs as well. One thing I thought about is a setting that blends Denmark and the Caribbean together perfectly, is the U.S. Virgin Islands. They were owned at the time (1837) by Denmark before sold to the U.S. .

The islands would have had Danish architecture but in a Caribbean setting. Just a thought.

Feel free to expand on your choice(s) below. Thanks.

I will admit, I would have expected the live-action version to be cast with people resembling the animated version, but honestly, it's only because I've got those images so imbedded in my mind. I'm fine to the point of not-caring-less how they actually cast it though.

As for the ride I'd have to go with NO. There's nothing wrong with the animated characters as they are or the attractions based on that movie.

No. The animated version is a classic. If this live action is anything like the others they've released so far, it'll be good, not great, and fade from memory rather quickly. The parks attractions should stick with the time-tested. Even POTC didn't get an update/add-on to tie in the movies until they were several movies into the franchise and the series had proved it wasn't going to be a flash in the pan.

No, leave the classics alone. In fact, Pirates of the Caribbean has become disappointing to me with the addition of Jack Depp/Johnny Sparrow and the PC “piratess”. I dislike the changes to the Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Rivers of America and Country Bears. Change ISN'T always good. I’m a firm proponent of the “If it ain’t broke “ school of thought.

BTW, was the other thread on this topic put out of its misery?

I didn't spend a single $ on Beauty and the Beast because of all the gay hoopla (I don't care if there are gay characters but I don't need it crammed down my throat - if something has to be singled out it probably means it isn't worth noticing on ones own), I will not spend a single other $ on POTC because of the removal of Johnny Depp and the replacement of a woman because "omg empower" (Im so sick of that schtick), I will not spend a single $ on The Little Mermaid because of Disney changing her race (but refused to change the race of the Aladdin characters). If Disney is truly trying to be inclusive, then lets see if ANY of the other racial characters (Moana, Pocahontas, Elaina, Esmerelda to name a few) are changed to a different race. It won't happen. The target is only aimed at one gruop.

I votes yes, have the characters of the live action resemble the animated characters. Kids (and adults) come to associate a certain look with a certain character. I think some kids will be confused. For example, Cinderella will never be a short, fat woman. Tiana will never look Scandinavian. For this reason I believe Ariel should look like she did in the animated film. Disney should be developing new characters using talent like the woman selected to portray Ariel. It sound like she has great talent but I would have preferred seeing her portray a new character than to create a visually different version of Ariel. Question is what will Disney do with portraying Ariel in the parks? Will she continue to look like the animated version or the new movie version?

No. The animated version is a classic. If this live action is anything like the others they've released so far, it'll be good, not great, and fade from memory rather quickly.
I agree but you're much more generous by calling the remakes "good." The genius of classic Disney films is the excellence in animation (and the music.) The live action remakes don't interest me, except for one thing: As a Disney shareholder I hope they sell an ocean of merchandise and the stock value goes up.😁

Highly doubtful they'd alter any existing park attractions to reflect the new film.

I'll reserve final judgement until the new movie comes out, but my gut reaction is no. First, I am not thrilled with these new live-action remakes; second, the ride is based on the cartoon movie, with cartoon elements, it would look weird if you stuck characters from the live-action movie into the existing ride (but sticking Johnny Depp into the POTC ride worked because the ride was always realistic, not cartoon). I could see Disney parks adding a couple stage shows that are based on the new live-action movies though, and I have no objections to that.

I agree but you're much more generous by calling the remakes "good." The genius of classic Disney films is the excellence in animation (and the music.) The live action remakes don't interest me, except for one thing: As a Disney shareholder I hope they sell an ocean of merchandise and the stock value goes up.😁

Highly doubtful they'd alter any existing park attractions to reflect the new film.

Well, I've only seen a couple of them so far, just Beauty and the Beast because it is my favorite Disney story and the Johnny Depp Alice in Wonderland as part of a drive-in double feature, and they were enjoyable enough. But I agree, they're not genius. Far from it. They mostly strike me as a cynical money grab - cheaper and less risky than creating original content, and with a built-in audience of people who loved the original stories so much that a remake is a must-see - so they don't often make it to the top of our must-see list.

I think it is unwise to start this poll considering the last thread was not only closed but deleted.

Also, what about Dumbo? Aladdin? Cinderella?

As I said "I'm mainly asking about the setting of the new movie being set in the Caribbean and any new costumes used in the movie. Similarly to how the Pirates of the Caribbean ride changed after the movies."

This is not a thread about the casting. This is about more updates or ideas about the ride or costumes that might be seen in the movie.

This is not a thread for negative controversy. It is meant for positive discussion.

I think it is unwise to start this poll considering the last thread was not only closed but deleted.

Also, what about Dumbo? Aladdin? Cinderella?
Dumbo was pretty much up for grabs because there were very few "human" characters in the original animated version. The live-action is practically a different story altogether with the main focus squarely on the people.

That’s probably why the stinker bombed.
:confused3 Are you talking about Dumbo? I've got no clue how it did at the box office but I really enjoyed it. I liked the characters, the "new" story and it vibed very, very Disney'esque. :dumbo:

ETA: If they do something a little different with live-action The Little Mermaid I think that would be best, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter