• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please tell me all you can about Xcaret

KarenB

<font color=green>Goes to the mall and sniffs Yank
We are heading to double digits for our cruise!! :hyper:

On our July 3, 7 night western Magic cruise, it will be DH, myself, and DSs ages 14 and 15. We plan to just walk around Key West (possibly meet up with relatives there), Captain Marvin's half day snorkleing tour at Grand Cayman (already confirmed), and undecided at Cozumel.

I was at the bookstore last night and came across just a few pictures of Xcaret. The pictures really caught my attention!!

What can you tell me about this? It will be big $$$ for the four of us!!! Is it worth it?? Our DSs really enjoy nature AND being in the water.

Please post any experiences, pictures, or links you have!!

Thanks,
Karen

Hi,
I have been to Xcaret twice when we vacationed in Cancun. It is AMAZING! It is a protected ecological park. I highly recommend swimming in the underground river. It is included in your admission. They give you a lifevest so you can float. The current of the river moves you past ancient meeting places etc. It is completely enclosed. Also, as you walk along the many paths in the park you will come across many small "pools". The water in crystal clear and some can be deep. You will see many fish. All of the "pools" are there for you to swim in. Scenes from the 2nd Blue Lagoon movie where filmed here! They also have lounge chairs and hammocks scattered around. You can also go inside a real bat cave...very scary! I did the dolphin encounter on my first trip there and would also recommend it. If you are into Aztek ruins they also have some there for you to explore and a real working Aztek (I think i t was Aztek) village! They also have shows but I haven't seen any. You can also lay at the beach which is great for little kids. The water is very calm.
Have a great time! I know you will love Xcaret! I am sailing in the Feb 26, 2005 western cruise and we would book this excursion too but since we have already been there twice we are going to book the beach excursion.

Hi we just returned from Mexico and spent the day there. It was excellent the water is gorgeous for snorkling and the under water river was really cool. if you send me your email address I will send you some photos we took quite a lot of them.

Thanks for the links!

disneediva-I just PM'ed you!

We are on the 4-24 cruise and are planning to go to X-caret on our own. There are four of us. Dad, Mom and 2 boys ages 2.5 and 4.5. The ferry is 5 blocks from the ship and is ($9 per person each way). The taxi from the ferry to X-caret is $8 for all four and the admission is $49 for the adults and all children under 5 are free. Total cost for us is $186 plus food. They have many restaurants in the park with ala carte food. Try
www.xcaret.com.

We did not feel it was worth $80 per child for food and transport to pay for the official excursion.
The ferry's run every hour on the hour except for 8pm and 10pm. We plan to take the 11am ferry over and the 7pm ferry back. That should get us to the park at Noon and we will leave by 6pm for a full 6 hours there.

I LOVE Xcaret. DH and I have been 3 times (we love Mexico.) I wonder how much time you spend there on the cruise though. You really need a day or two now-it has grown so much! There are 2 underground rivers to snorkel through, snorkeling lagoons, a beach area, 2 dolphin swim areas, butterfly pavilion, jaguar island, orchard and mushroom farms, a viewing tower like Sea World, horseback riding, small ruins, shows throughout the day, monkeys, a new bird aviary, aquarium, etc... The night show is SO awesome and starts around 8pm so you will miss that. I say go on the cruise day but also go back to the Mayan Riviera area!

My wife and I were underwhelmed when we went on our honeymoon back in Jully '01. The whole day felt very rushed (only had like 4 hrs including hiking time in the park). We walked around the animal exhibits including the butterfly area (interesting). We swam the underground river (where I got taken for extra cash for the snorkel rental, which also broke). It was nice, but not nearly as interesting as much as they hyped it. Yes it is natural (they added a new fake one with exhibits along it), but nothing that I can't enjoy more at any water park (although less jostling here). Then the remainder of our time was spent in a food line trying to turn in our meal vouchers. My wife enjoyed this much more since I set her up in a hammock overlooking the water before getting in line.

If you want to go to the park, do it on your own so you get much more time (like 3+ hrs more). And don't bother with the food, just have a big breakfast on the ship.

I also heard much better things about Tulum and the cave/beach tour. The underground river just didn't turn out to be the draw we thought it would be.

I took my family to Xcaret on a recent trip to Cancun. It was fantastic! However, you needed a full day to see everything. The highlight was the night show!

When we did the Western last month, we went to Chankanaab. If you have snorkelers in the family, I think it is a great choice. If you want a more laid-back beach experience, you might consider Mr. Sanchos.

JMHO! :)
Greg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter