Please help warm my cold feet! (PHM first-timer)

It's been quiet, how is everyone doing?

I did 6 miles Tuesday in 1:32:00
Today I did 4 miles in 57 minutes, messing with speeds and interval times.
Finally settled in with 30 second intervals at 6.2/3 mph.
I'm not a fan of the 30 seconds though, my brain couldn't keep up so I will stick with 1/1 for now, although I would really like to run more. Problem is, when I run more, I slow way down in my pacing.

Do you have any rails to trails paths or air line trails? We have a few. We also have an out and back path that's at the end of a small airport and around a reservoir.
I haven't done any of those yet though because I don't want to go alone.

I don't know what those paths are, but I don't think we have them. There are some walking/jogging trails in the parks.

Sorry, I've been quiet because I just moved and then went to New York City.

Funny thing happened in JFK - I was walking on the skybridge from the Airtrain to T5 and I was walking on the regular floor. I realized I was keeping pace with the guy next to me - and he was on the moving walkway. Then I realized - he was walking on the moving walkway! :rotfl: I thought I was running late to my flight, then got to the kiosk to see it was delayed. Turns out we left over 3 hours late. :rolleyes:

Now I'll just pretend I'm running late to a flight while I train. Which, incidentally, I've been failing miserably at following the training schedule. I did walk a lot more than normal while in NYC, so that helps some at least. I think? :confused3

Hey everyone! Just received a notice that this thread has some new activity. Yay! Glad to read everyone is well on their way with preparing for their run(s).

Things are great on my end. The first two weeks of C25K were pretty tough -- it felt like the devil was trying to get us. Between weather issues, schedule issues, food poisoning, trial and error while running with kids, Jen's sinus infection and knee injury, and me locking my keys in my trunk one morning...we're back on track and kicking butt! :goodvibes

We just finished Week 4 of C25K this morning. I had no idea just how much this would change my life -- I literally look forward to my running days (well, run/walk/run) and happily wake up at 5AM on my days off to meet Jen for our runs. :cool1:

In Week 1, we averaged a 20 minute mile. Total non-runners here... And now, we're down to 14 minutes. I'm so proud!

Oh, and we're eyeing the Orlando Color Run as our first 5K scheduled next month. That should be fun!

Hey everyone! Just received a notice that this thread has some new activity. Yay! Glad to read everyone is well on their way with preparing for their run(s).

Things are great on my end. The first two weeks of C25K were pretty tough -- it felt like the devil was trying to get us. Between weather issues, schedule issues, food poisoning, trial and error while running with kids, Jen's sinus infection and knee injury, and me locking my keys in my trunk one morning...we're back on track and kicking butt! :goodvibes

We just finished Week 4 of C25K this morning. I had no idea just how much this would change my life -- I literally look forward to my running days (well, run/walk/run) and happily wake up at 5AM on my days off to meet Jen for our runs. :cool1:

In Week 1, we averaged a 20 minute mile. Total non-runners here... And now, we're down to 14 minutes. I'm so proud!

Oh, and we're eyeing the Orlando Color Run as our first 5K scheduled next month. That should be fun!

Awesome work!! You guys are doing great!

200 days til the 5K! I'm so excited!

I did 3 miles around the campground last night, time was painfully slow though but I had DD with me for the first loop and she complained the whole way, that from the girl who insists on running the whole 5K in February.
Tonight the boys are going to join me. Maybe I can get DD to come too and the boys can help distract her.

Awesome work!! You guys are doing great!

200 days til the 5K! I'm so excited!

I did 3 miles around the campground last night, time was painfully slow though but I had DD with me for the first loop and she complained the whole way, that from the girl who insists on running the whole 5K in February.
Tonight the boys are going to join me. Maybe I can get DD to come too and the boys can help distract her.

I can empathize with you on having DD complain the whole way. LOL! I experienced that a few weeks ago. She's begging to come out with me again soon -- I'm hoping she'll cooperate this time. I did sign her up for the 200m dash so my little one does need to get some practice. ;)

I'm merrily counting down the days until February. Can you believe I'm a tad more excited for PHM weekend than I am for my 8-day cruise in November? I fully intend on keeping up with my Galloway plan whilst sailing the seas! :p

I don't know what those paths are, but I don't think we have them. There are some walking/jogging trails in the parks.
Rails to trails are paths that used to be for trolley lines. There is a big push to reclaim these paths for green space.

I'm merrily counting down the days until February. Can you believe I'm a tad more excited for PHM weekend than I am for my 8-day cruise in November? I fully intend on keeping up with my Galloway plan whilst sailing the seas! :p

I'm excited but nervous. DS17 ran an 11.6 mile race yesterday and I started second guessing myself when I saw all the runners coming in. It was not a good day but I went out and did my 3 miles anyway.

I can empathize with you on having DD complain the whole way. LOL! I experienced that a few weeks ago. She's begging to come out with me again soon -- I'm hoping she'll cooperate this time. I did sign her up for the 200m dash so my little one does need to get some practice. ;)

Just checking in! ;)

Love that you and Jen are overcoming your early frustrations. Sounds like you guys are going great!! And I totally get the excitement of PHM over your cruise. We're headed down for a wonderful eight days at BC for Food & Wine and MNSSHP, but my focus is totally on PHM. Don't get me wrong - cannot WAIT for October 23rd to get here. But there's something about setting a goal like this for yourself and the anticipation of completing it. Not to mention the great girls' weekend I'll have with one of my best friends, and all of the new friends I'll be making.

Question for you, though - how will you run on the cruise? I take it there's a track on the ship?

Rails to trails are paths that used to be for trolley lines. There is a big push to reclaim these paths for green space.

I'm excited but nervous. DS17 ran an 11.6 mile race yesterday and I started second guessing myself when I saw all the runners coming in. It was not a good day but I went out and did my 3 miles anyway.

Don't second guess yourself. I've had some rotten runs the last little while, and it started to knock my confidence, and even my commitment a little. But then after missing a few days, I made myself go and had one of my best runs. And about all of the runners you saw - one of the reasons I decided on a RunDisney race is that it's about having a good time. I'm signed up for the Color Run 5k in October, but only for fun here, too. DD7 and DS9 will be doing it with me, along with my DN11 and DN13, and two girlfriends with their DDs. We have no plans to break any records - just to be as colorful and smiley as possible by the finish line. :) My goal for PHM is to get my time down enough so that I can stop to see a few characters, slow myself and rest when needed, and just enjoy it. I think if you keep your focus on your overall enjoyment, it'll make your training that much easier.

Just checking in! ;)

Love that you and Jen are overcoming your early frustrations. Sounds like you guys are going great!! And I totally get the excitement of PHM over your cruise. We're headed down for a wonderful eight days at BC for Food & Wine and MNSSHP, but my focus is totally on PHM. Don't get me wrong - cannot WAIT for October 23rd to get here. But there's something about setting a goal like this for yourself and the anticipation of completing it. Not to mention the great girls' weekend I'll have with one of my best friends, and all of the new friends I'll be making.

Question for you, though - how will you run on the cruise? I take it there's a track on the ship?

Hey there! Thank you for the encouragement! Tomorrow is Day 1 of Week 5 (C25K) and I'm excited to get outside and conquer it. You're so right -- there is something extra special about setting this big goal and along the way, the mind, body, and soul are affected in an incredibly positive way. I was telling a co-worker today about how this has truly been life changing for me. I still get the googly-eyed-raised-eyebrow look when I talk passionately about training for the half but I don't care...this is huge for us! :) As far as running on the ship goes, there is a running track on one of the higher (or is it highest?) decks as well as a gym. I have yet to run on the treadmill because I love outdoor running so much so I think I'll hit the track unless it's too windy out. I'll definitely head out early so I don't miss out on any family time later in the day. I'm excited to stay committed despite being at sea! :thumbsup2

Just checking in! ;)

Laura,
(another Hoosier here) Are you doing the Indy Color me Rad in Oct? We did that last year (2 of my DD's live in Indy) we're planning on Color me Rad in Ft. Wayne 8/24 this year (closer to home at least for me LOL) Enjoy the race! So funny if everything works out we'll be in WDW Oct -20-26 too! Are you doing the race or just vacationing?

Oh, so rails to trails sound similar to the Highline in Manhattan, except the Highline is not intended to be a running trail. It's most definitely a park to linger and enjoy.

I am also second guessing myself. I am barely getting any training in. It's entirely too hot. I might try at something like 4 am one of these days, but I'm really not a morning person.

Oh, so rails to trails sound similar to the Highline in Manhattan, except the Highline is not intended to be a running trail. It's most definitely a park to linger and enjoy.

I am also second guessing myself. I am barely getting any training in. It's entirely too hot. I might try at something like 4 am one of these days, but I'm really not a morning person.

I'm not a morning person either, but DS has to be at cross country practice at 6am so I'm reluctantly becoming a morning person, I look at it as good mental training for the race since we have to be up ridiculously early that day.

Laura,
(another Hoosier here) Are you doing the Indy Color me Rad in Oct? We did that last year (2 of my DD's live in Indy) we're planning on Color me Rad in Ft. Wayne 8/24 this year (closer to home at least for me LOL) Enjoy the race! So funny if everything works out we'll be in WDW Oct -20-26 too! Are you doing the race or just vacationing?

Hey Indiana! ;)

No, I'm not doing the Color Me Rad in Indy, just the Color Run in South Bend (closer for me). How funny that you'll be in WDW at the same time! Even crazier is that, while on a walk a few days ago, one of my neighbors stopped me to ask if I was going to be there at that time. When I asked how he knew, he mentioned that he's on the DIS boards, too, and recognized my picture and saw I was from Granger - literally right down the street! Oh, and they're going to the same MNSSHP on the 24th, too. Such a small world! Our October trip is a total vacation for us, pure enjoyment.

Maybe we'll see you there! ;)

I'm not a morning person either, but DS has to be at cross country practice at 6am so I'm reluctantly becoming a morning person, I look at it as good mental training for the race since we have to be up ridiculously early that day.

I don't do nearly as well on my morning runs, either, but I've started giving it a shot for two reasons: 1) I'm finding less and less time in the evenings because of work responsibilities, and 2) I figure I'd better get used to it if I'm going to be ok with a 5:30am start! :rolleyes1

My times for my morning runs don't even come close to my evening runs at this point, but I'm hoping I catch up soon. Do you guys eat anything before you hit the road? I make a big protein shake for breakfast every morning, but don't really have time to do it if I'm running because I barely have enough time to get back, shower, and get to work, so I just make it when I get back. I'd love to hear what you do, though, especially if it helps to make my mornings better.

Well, I've been taking the dog for a mile walk at 5am, but that's not a training run. I haven't been eating anything before those.

When I do longer runs, I often eat a peanut butter sandwich and drink some coffee. I'd have to do my longer runs on the weekends; I teach and will need to leave for work about 6:30.

My afternoon walks with the dog have been miserable lately. Someone posted a picture of their weather app and the heat index was 114. I can barely make it around the block in those temps. It's disgusting. I'd like to go to the park once it gets dark and cools off to say, 92, but I don't want to start a 6 mile run/walk/jog at sundown - it's not safe.

Hey all! Just wanted to chime in and say morning runs DO get better with time. After a while, it becomes a routine and isn't so bad after all. Jen is usually a morning person and even she wasn't digging our 6AM start times (the alarm clock goes off at 5!) but she's adjusting now. It's the perfect time to beat the heat, start the day off with a boost of energy and a sense of accomplishment. We're located just outside of Orlando and the heat here is atrocious. I went out for a noon solo run one day and came home with symptoms of heat exhaustion. I'll never do that again!

On a random note, does anyone have advice for calf cramping? Sometimes my legs threaten to charley horse on me and I've found if I keep running (or even speed up a bit) the cramp will go away. I'm not sure if this is a good idea but it surely feels better to keep moving. :confused3 When I slow down for a short walk, they throw a fit. I've been told to make sure I'm well hydrated but I can't stand loading up on water so early in the morning. I stay well hydrated on a daily basis. Is hydration really the problem? Or should I fine tune my stretching? I rarely have any leg soreness after. Any thoughts?

I have another question but it's totally embarrassing so I might stick to Google for some feedback. LOL!

Try increasing your potassium intake for the leg cramping. I've gotten charley horses before and that's one thing I've found to help.

Try increasing your potassium intake for the leg cramping. I've gotten charley horses before and that's one thing I've found to help.

Thanks! I have a potassium and magnesium supplement on hand. I'll add that back into my vitamin regimen. I was on a banana kick for a little while there but I found they caused my sugar cravings to spiral out of control again.

I did the Sunburst half in South Bend (ended in Notre Dame Stadium) on June 1st. DD was supposed to run the half while her DH ran is first full, but she got injured and since I'd just done Princess 2013, the Indy 500 Mini in May, I ran it in her name. (she wanted to donate her medal to the children's hospital so someone had to run to get the medal.) It was great fun to run into ND stadium, even though I'm more of a Hoosier fan LOL.

Hey all! Just wanted to chime in and say morning runs DO get better with time. After a while, it becomes a routine and isn't so bad after all. Jen is usually a morning person and even she wasn't digging our 6AM start times (the alarm clock goes off at 5!) but she's adjusting now. It's the perfect time to beat the heat, start the day off with a boost of energy and a sense of accomplishment. We're located just outside of Orlando and the heat here is atrocious. I went out for a noon solo run one day and came home with symptoms of heat exhaustion. I'll never do that again!

On a random note, does anyone have advice for calf cramping? Sometimes my legs threaten to charley horse on me and I've found if I keep running (or even speed up a bit) the cramp will go away. I'm not sure if this is a good idea but it surely feels better to keep moving. :confused3 When I slow down for a short walk, they throw a fit. I've been told to make sure I'm well hydrated but I can't stand loading up on water so early in the morning. I stay well hydrated on a daily basis. Is hydration really the problem? Or should I fine tune my stretching? I rarely have any leg soreness after. Any thoughts?

I have another question but it's totally embarrassing so I might stick to Google for some feedback. LOL!
Cramps are most likely a hydration issue, but not necessarily a liquid issue, could be an electrolyte imbalance (my problem in sweaty weather is potassium) if you run with water try a sports drink or try taking a bottle of either with you if you haven't. I find on summer morning by 4 miles my hands swell if I don't have have electrolytes. It might be something to try, no guarantees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter