• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help warm my cold feet! (PHM first-timer)

Cramps are most likely a hydration issue, but not necessarily a liquid issue, could be an electrolyte imbalance (my problem in sweaty weather is potassium) if you run with water try a sports drink or try taking a bottle of either with you if you haven't. I find on summer morning by 4 miles my hands swell if I don't have have electrolytes. It might be something to try, no guarantees.

Thank you for your reply, it helped to see it in the perspective of hydration but not necessarily liquid issues. Excellent point. I went out this morning and did have some burning and threats of cramping. I'm trying the potassium supplements and will bring a sports drink in my bottle and give that a try. They're not enough to stop me but I do find I slow a lot to compensate for fear of an actual cramp.

I don't do nearly as well on my morning runs, either, but I've started giving it a shot for two reasons: 1) I'm finding less and less time in the evenings because of work responsibilities, and 2) I figure I'd better get used to it if I'm going to be ok with a 5:30am start! :rolleyes1

My times for my morning runs don't even come close to my evening runs at this point, but I'm hoping I catch up soon. Do you guys eat anything before you hit the road? I make a big protein shake for breakfast every morning, but don't really have time to do it if I'm running because I barely have enough time to get back, shower, and get to work, so I just make it when I get back. I'd love to hear what you do, though, especially if it helps to make my mornings better.

I typically eat 2 packets of raisin and spice oatmeal. It's 300 calories and just enough sugar to get me moving. It seems to be the right amount of food for me and it's not heavy on my stomach.

I did 4 miles with DS17 last night. I have reverted back to C25K from Galloway because I want to run more and walk less. I did week 1, day 2 x 2.
I was really happy with my progress, despite having tummy issues (never, ever eating almonds again). I managed a 12:15 mile the first 3 miles. I did extra walking the last mile so that brought my overall pace down to 14:11, but still 12 mm, best ever! I even felt like I could continue but DS was done with his run and it was getting dark so we headed home. I'm trying to be patient with my training so I don't get an injury but I really want to know how far I can push myself. It has been a true test of patience.

I typically eat 2 packets of raisin and spice oatmeal. It's 300 calories and just enough sugar to get me moving. It seems to be the right amount of food for me and it's not heavy on my stomach.

I did 4 miles with DS17 last night. I have reverted back to C25K from Galloway because I want to run more and walk less. I did week 1, day 2 x 2.
I was really happy with my progress, despite having tummy issues (never, ever eating almonds again). I managed a 12:15 mile the first 3 miles. I did extra walking the last mile so that brought my overall pace down to 14:11, but still 12 mm, best ever! I even felt like I could continue but DS was done with his run and it was getting dark so we headed home. I'm trying to be patient with my training so I don't get an injury but I really want to know how far I can push myself. It has been a true test of patience.

Congrats on your 12 mm! That's fantastic! :)

Just checking in to share the great news with everyone... As of two weeks ago, I've lost 18 pounds. By now I'm sure I'm down a few more but I'm working on establishing a healthy relationship with my scale. ;) Much thanks to my lifestyle change with food and my newfound love for running, I am feeling better and better with each passing day.

What prompted this post? Well, I'm currently wearing a pair of jeans I haven't worn in a long, long time and by golly they're a bit big now. Tonight, my husband and I are going out to dinner to celebrate our 5th anniversary and I wanted to dress up a bit. I feel beautiful!

Signing up for the PHM has been such a positive thing for me in more ways than one. Just wanted to share this accomplishment with you all as you've each been supportive of me from the start of this thread. :goodvibes

And on a running-relate note, Jen and I will tackle our first 20 minute run tomorrow. We've already decided we'll give it our best shot but if we need a walking break we will certainly stop and take one.

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

Congrats on your 12 mm! That's fantastic! :)

12 mm, in my dreams!! Congrats!

Thanks!! 12mm is in my dreams too! I have been stuck at 14:30 for a year.
Now I hope I can stay at 12 - 12:30.

Just checking in to share the great news with everyone... As of two weeks ago, I've lost 18 pounds. By now I'm sure I'm down a few more but I'm working on establishing a healthy relationship with my scale. ;) Much thanks to my lifestyle change with food and my newfound love for running, I am feeling better and better with each passing day.

What prompted this post? Well, I'm currently wearing a pair of jeans I haven't worn in a long, long time and by golly they're a bit big now. Tonight, my husband and I are going out to dinner to celebrate our 5th anniversary and I wanted to dress up a bit. I feel beautiful!

Signing up for the PHM has been such a positive thing for me in more ways than one. Just wanted to share this accomplishment with you all as you've each been supportive of me from the start of this thread. :goodvibes

And on a running-relate note, Jen and I will tackle our first 20 minute run tomorrow. We've already decided we'll give it our best shot but if we need a walking break we will certainly stop and take one.

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

Awesome job!!!
I too had to do some clothes shopping, my skinny jeans became my fat jeans so I had to get new. LOL

Enjoy your 20 minute run. I can tell you that that particular run is a mental game. Physically you are beyond ready, don't let your brain talk you out of it.

Thanks!! 12mm is in my dreams too! I have been stuck at 14:30 for a year.
Now I hope I can stay at 12 - 12:30.

Awesome job!!!
I too had to do some clothes shopping, my skinny jeans became my fat jeans so I had to get new. LOL

Enjoy your 20 minute run. I can tell you that that particular run is a mental game. Physically you are beyond ready, don't let your brain talk you out of it.

Thank you for the wise words. You're right, it's definitely a mental game. My mind wants to tell me I can't do it but my heart says no way, I've got it! I fully intend on reporting back tomorrow with a success story. ::yes::

Awesome job!!!

Yay for you guys! I must say I've not had the same result. Oddly enough, I've gained five pounds :scared: but I'm fitting better into the same size clothes. So I'm thinking that the five pounds is just the result of me building muscle. I'd love to drop a few pounds, but I'm so crazy busy right now - I'm afraid that if I cut calories, I won't have the energy to train, and that's just not an option. So I'm living with the extra five. For now. ;)

And GREAT job on the training! My best so far is 13:00, but I've not been able to replicate it yet. Still early, though. :goodvibes

Yay for you guys! I must say I've not had the same result. Oddly enough, I've gained five pounds :scared: but I'm fitting better into the same size clothes. So I'm thinking that the five pounds is just the result of me building muscle. I'd love to drop a few pounds, but I'm so crazy busy right now - I'm afraid that if I cut calories, I won't have the energy to train, and that's just not an option. So I'm living with the extra five. For now. ;)

And GREAT job on the training! My best so far is 13:00, but I've not been able to replicate it yet. Still early, though. :goodvibes

I have been reading that more mileage you put on, the less likely you will drop any weight, which stinks and has been proving true for me too. But my body is definitely changing, I used to have quite a gut out front but now my shape is slowly getting more hourglass. I went from an 18-20 pant to a comfortable 14 since January.

Hey all! Back in from my 20 minute run tonight and here's the update:

Let me just come right out and say it... We weren't able to run the full 20 minutes straight. But it all works out in the end! Read on...

At the 10 minute mark, we needed to stop and walk for a few minutes. Between the sun in our face (HOT, HOT, HOT) and the fact that our previous long run was an 8 minute one, I knew we had a big feat ahead tackling a straight 20 minutes non-stop. We're out to enjoy ourselves and not get hurt so ahead of time, Jen and I agreed that if we needed a break we'd take one and I'm glad we did. Wow was that hard! Despite us having to take a break, there's AWESOME news! We managed to break our personal best and averaged a 12:42 mile over the course of nearly 2 miles! :woohoo:

On another note, as far as weight loss goes, I truly pray I keep losing. I'm still a good 55-60 pounds away from my dream goal. My largest pant size was a 22 and now I fit comfortably in a 16. Between MyFitnessPal and my running, here's to hoping the pounds keep dropping whether slow or fast. ;) Congrats to you all on your accomplishments as well! To feel and see the physical changes...it's priceless.

Thanks for listening to my re-caps and for always rooting me on. It's kind of therapeutic to come here and share my ventures. I still can't believe I'm doing this!

Thanks! :)

How has your week been so far?

Not good. I have yet to get a run in because we are running around like crazy trying to get ready for school.
I hope to squeeze in a short run today after DS12 goes to the dr and then I have a running date with DS17's teammates mom tomorrow. The boys have a night run so we are going to do a run around the lake.

Checking in

I'm still plugging away. I have changed my training days to M-W-F to avoid weekend conflicts. I can run while the kids are at school and DS17 starts cross country soon and all of our meets are Tuesdays and Saturdays so we will be really busy there.
I got 5 miles in today, 2 walking, 3 intervals including a 1 mile race with a friend and we did it in 13:30 which was pretty good for us, her first ever race. We just stuck to 1/1 intervals and 1/2 intervals when she got tired.

How is everyone else doing?

Oh and I switched shoes, my minimus just aren't cutting it during road work so I switched back to my asics. I need to head up the Fleet Feet and get fitted soon though, my asics are old.

Glad your training is going well. I remember the days of XC. I was always glad that my kids were runners instead of swimmers. Much more sane practice and meet times!

I finished the 5k plan I was working on--this is all in the name of very slow recovery from injuries piled up over the last year. I did a couple of races, which went pretty well. Now I have a 5k pace to base my new 10k training plan on (that's just how my plan works) Whether I can actually run the split paces remains to be seen. Tuesday
s workout did not go well, but I'm hoping that was just post-race fatigue.

Maura

Just read everyone's updates. :thumbsup2 I'm happy to see we're all chugging along! Not much to update on my end -- Jen and I have been maintaining three runs a week with the occasional solo run if one of us has a last minute change of plans. Today will be one of those days. I'll run solo and Jen will run tomorrow (I work).

Sorry I haven't updated recently...my little one started preschool on Tuesday and I've been flying by the seat of my pants trying to establish a solid routine for our family. I've cried a lot and smiled a lot. This is a big transition for us but Madison is adjusting well.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll be back to check in later tonight some time.

I have not been training at all. It's bad. I don't know how to fit it in right now. I get up between 4:30 and 5:00 and leave for work around 6:30am. I don't get home again until 6:30-7:30pm and I am just exhausted. I am also flying by the seat of my pants and trying to get a routine going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter