PLEASE help me identify this movie!!!

DisneyDork712

DIS Veteran
I've been trying to figure out what this movie is for close to 6 years now!! I really hope someone here can help me! :confused3 I've used all the movie search databases and everything!!! Maybe I just made up the whole entire movie. :rolleyes:

You guys seem to be really smart and know a lot of stuff, so now I'm asking you! :)

Okay. I remember watching the movie when I was little, so it was for sure out in the 80's. I remember [very vaguely] a patchwork [I think] elephant, a girl maybe flying on the elephant to get somewhere that I can't remember, something about a closet. The girl had dark hair. [Maybe] I also remember there was an evil queen or witch or something who was trying to stay young/alive. I think she had to eat these peach-looking fruits from a tree to do so. At the end of the movie she is trying to get to her tree that has the aforementioned fruit on it, but a glass dome comes down over the tree as she is lying on the steps that lead up to the tree. The dome sort of shuts on her hand as she is reaching - not gory or anything; it just stops her from getting to the tree. I think she may have turned to stone at this point. Not entirely sure.

As you can see, I'm a little fuzzy on the details of the movie. I remember watching it when I was very young. I have no idea what the movie is. Or if it was a tv show or something. I just remember watching it, and would really like to know what it is!!! It's literally driving me crazy! I've asked everyone I know, but on one has any idea what I'm talking about. If any of you guys can help, I would be forever grateful!!! :goodvibes

Sounds like a Alice in Wonderland/Wizard of Oz/Narnia combo movie..lol
Can't wait to hear what it is..

Whoa, I have no idea. That sounds like a great movie though. It also sounds sort of familiar..

I don't remember the elephant, but I totally remember a queen/witch and the fruit and such that you're talking about!! Definitely from the 80s. Now it's going to drive me insane until someone remembers which movie that was in!!

I don't remember the elephant, but I totally remember a queen/witch and the fruit and such that you're talking about!! Definitely from the 80s. Now it's going to drive me insane until someone remembers which movie that was in!!

*Really loud SQUEEEEAL* Oh someone else remembers it, too! I think I'm going to cry! LOL

And I've been trying to figure out what this movie is for YEARS! Honestly. That isn't an exaggeration at all! I remember asking my mom about it in middle school. She didn't know, and that was sort of the beginning of my quest! Just recently I've been really searching for the answer. Asking everyone. But no luck so far.

*Fingers crossed*

I did a google search "patwork elephant movie" and came up with The Hugga Bunch movie.

I googled and found this, sounds similar, but I think it's animated?
The Hugga Bunch.

A typical 2-story house is shown in suburbia. 7-year-old Bridget narrates about suspecting something is going on since she and her 11-year-old brother Andrew are getting presents from their parents for no apparent reason. Bridget's present is a stuffed penguin that she immediately names Sweet William. Bridget describes her relatives: Aunt Ruth, a bossy nurse taking care of grandmother, Grams the hugging grandmother who makes dolls out of socks, and her brother Andrew, who's into electronics and is grumpy. Grams accidentally hangs up on the lieutenant-governor, which indicates she's getting in the way while living with the family. The two children eat breakfast while the adults discuss moving Grams to a retirement home. Bridget makes an awful-looking pancake sandwich containing cereal, eggs, bacon, strawberries, and syrup, as Andrew looks on incredulously. The two kids then discuss Grams, and Andrew says bluntly that Grams is being "put out to pasture." Bridget talks with Grams in the attic, has a play tea party with Sweet William in her bedroom, then a living doll unexpectedly pops out of her bedroom closet mirror.

Bridget and the living doll become acquainted. The curly-haired living female doll is named Huggins and lives in Huggaland. Bridget gives Huggins a baseball cap from Andrew's room. Huggins hides under some laundry when Bridget's mother comes by, then the mother throws the laundry into the washing machine with Huggins in it. Bridget rescues Huggins and dries her off with a hair drier. They discuss the problem with Grams getting old and having to move away, Huggins says Bridget could talk to the bookworm in Huggaland about it, since he knows everything. They step through the mirror to visit Huggaland, but one of Bridget's tennis shoes becomes lodged in the mirror.

Rather than walk around with one shoe, Bridget goes without shoes in Huggaland. They immediately meet Hugsy, a curly-haired living boy doll in Huggaland. Huggins gives Hugsy the baseball cap. They also meet Tickles, Bubbles, Impkins, and Tweaker, and all the dolls sing a song while sitting on a bridge. Hugsy takes Bridget and Huggins in his hugwagon to see the bookworm, who lives atop a stack of giant books. The bookworm consults "the old encyclopedia" and finds that old age can be cured by eating the fruit of the "youngberry tree." However, only one such tree exists, and it's in the country of Shrugs, ruled by the mad queen of quartz. The only way to travel to Shrugs is to jump down a deep hole that is located inside a nearby giant book.

Bridget and the two dolls gulp three times, jump down the hole, and tumble out. Soon they walk down a sideways sidewalk, hear the sea of glass breaking, and fall off the sidewalk when the sideways gravity ends. They encounter "the hairy behemoth," which looks like a mastodon, has four tusks, and breathes fire out its trunk. But Hugsy boldly goes over and hugs the behemoth, who thereby turns into a baby elephant whose name is Hodgepodge. Hodgepodge had been under a spell by the queen, and owes Hugsy a favor, so they all ride on Hodgepodge's back to the castle. They enter the castle, are surrounded by troll-like beings, the queen (Queen Admira) comes, and Bridget asks for a few youngberries. The queen refuses, then eats one for herself, and brags about her own youthful good looks while looking in a hand mirror. Hodgepodge faints when the queen says he should be "digested." The queen is upset when Bridget mentions that wicked witches should have warts, so the queen freezes Bridget and orders the three others to be taken to the dungeon. But the queen carelessly leaves the key to the youngberry tree's dome by the lock to the dome-lifting apparatus.

Hodgepodge wakes up in the dungeon and uses his "noodle" (trunk) to pull the jail's door down, thereby freeing himself and the two dolls with him. They find Bridget standing petrified, the dolls hug her, which causes Bridget to be revived. Before they flee, Bridget finds the left-behind key to the youngberry tree dome, lifts the dome off, and they pick some glowing youngberries and put them in a jar. The queen catches them, but the queen's arm is trapped under the descending dome while reaching for the key that Bridget left on the ground. The queen suddenly turns very old since she is deprived of the youth-giving berries, and appears to die. Soon Bridget steps back through the mirror into her bedroom but trips on the bottom of the mirror, spilling the berries onto her floor, and the berries quickly vanish into smoke, one by one. Her mother calls for her and Andrew to say goodbye to Grams, who is leaving for a retirement home. Andrew drops his usual grumpy, standoffish facade and hugs Grams, telling her he loves her and that he doesn't want her to go away. Their father is moved, and decides to keep Grams there after all, and everybody hugs and cries, including Aunt Ruthie, who had been the main person pressuring Grams to move out.

Andrew asks Bridget for his St. Louis Cardinals cap, Bridget starts to explain how she gave it to Huggins of Huggaland, but Andrew doesn't want to listen to what he believes are her fantasy stories, so he turns around to look for it in her bedroom. One of the dolls secretly hands the cap back through the mirror to Bridget, Bridget puts the cap on Andrew's head, Andrew is mystified, and leaves her bedroom without saying anything. Bridget cheerfully waves at the mirror.

Some of the OP's description reminded me of "Return To Oz" which my son used to watch endlessly. I may be way off base though.

I haven't read thru the other posts yet - but this movie I remember too and could never remember the name. And NO ONE could help me.

The part that sticks out in my mind is the tree with the glass dome on it. Every time I see one of those clocks with the glass dome over it - it brings back memories of this movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter