• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

This is definitely concerning to me. I may consider going ahead and buying a small resale contract. I do want to visit at least every other year. Maybe that's playing into their hands a bit but I don't want to get stuck paying outrageous rates for a moderate down the road.

Partially the reason we locked in with DVC. Heck if you are going that route, I'd buy a contract with enough points for your trip each year, and rent out half your points every year to pay the dues. Basically you could end up paying no dues.

Partially the reason we locked in with DVC. Heck if you are going that route, I'd buy a contract with enough points for your trip each year, and rent out half your points every year to pay the dues. Basically you could end up paying no dues.

Yeah I'm seriously considering it. Long story short, my brother and I are selling our late grandmother's home and property. I wouldn't mind using that to pay the money outright and then only owe dues each year. I'll probably post on the DVC forum for guidance once closing occurs.

You know - this may also not be particularly about raising prices. Disney may be seeing a downward trend in occupancy at CBR and Pop and AoA, and be proactively thinking "what can we do to get people to want to stay on property at THESE prices. And the gondola system might be enough for that.

I think one of the most telling parts that this WILL be DVC is that they have announced the construction of the CSR tower / amenities, but haven't said anything about CBR despite permits filed.

Yup - that and the fact that DVC and CBR has been talked about by insiders for 2.5 years. TOTS of course, but I think it's about 95% certain DVC will be coming to CBR. Cause in addition, they can use DVC to at least partially fund the gondola construction and maintenance.

Yeah I'm seriously considering it. Long story short, my brother and I are selling our late grandmother's home and property. I wouldn't mind using that to pay the money outright and then only owe dues each year. I'll probably post on the DVC forum for guidance once closing occurs.

Feel free to PM me with questions. I was very anti-DVC until I discovered resale. (There's lots of people over on the DVC portion of the site that will give good advice also.) Resale let's "the other guy" pay for up to 50% of Disney's profits on these contracts. DVC isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but if you know you are going to keep going for a long time and want to stay on site, then it's definitely something to consider. (And if you don't mind staying off-site, there's options that cost practically nothing.)

Feel free to PM me with questions. I was very anti-DVC until I discovered resale. (There's lots of people over on the DVC portion of the site that will give good advice also.) Resale let's "the other guy" pay for up to 50% of Disney's profits on these contracts. DVC isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but if you know you are going to keep going for a long time and want to stay on site, then it's definitely something to consider. (And if you don't mind staying off-site, there's options that cost practically nothing.)

Thanks yeah, it seemed like a bad deal when I heard about it the first time. But I never really expected to have a windfall either, no one does I guess. I do like staying onsite because it consolidates costs and keeps things simple. I don't begrudge people who feel the opposite, the cost for some of these rooms makes me cringe. I feel like maybe DVC could give some options to stay at different places, we're not picky, while insulating against some price increases.

You know - this may also not be particularly about raising prices. Disney may be seeing a downward trend in occupancy at CBR and Pop and AoA, and be proactively thinking "what can we do to get people to want to stay on property at THESE prices. And the gondola system might be enough for that.

I hope it's this.

But it seems like a very long way around just dropping the price. Build a gondola system/upgrade facilities or drop the price $30/night.

But perhaps if you analyze the perpetuity of the discount and do a proper analysis the gondola system/upgrade facilities and maintain current pricing is the way to go.

I hope it's this.

But it seems like a very long way around just dropping the price. Build a gondola system/upgrade facilities or drop the price $30/night.

But perhaps if you analyze the perpetuity of the discount and do a proper analysis the gondola system/upgrade facilities and maintain current pricing is the way to go.

Have to add that this might actually be an investment for other reasons over just jacking up the price as well.

You can imagine that this option is, long run, potentially a lot cheaper than running a fleet of buses (the cost of buses, fuel, drivers,) let alone the roads/infrastructure needed to support them, particularly as DHS comes online as a more primary spot, improvements to EPCOT in the pike as well. This may just be a forward looking investment in cost cutting ...

Do I think they will stop there and not increase the prices ? No, but I wont really be impacted as a DVC owner by that anyway. But, I can HOPE for others that that would be the case.

For fun:

Yacht Club Pools
Yacht Club has two pools. The largest, Stormalong Bay, sits along Crescent Lake and is arguably the best pool in all of Walt Disney World. The main feature of the pool is the large shipwreck along the outside the houses a waterslide. A must-experience feature of this pool is the sand that covers the bottom of the entire pool. There is also a hot tub, kiddie pool and water player area.
Pools and Playgrounds at Pop Century
Pop Century has 3 pools. The largest, The Hippy Dippy Pool, sits directly behind the Classic Hall lobby and food court, between the two buildings dedicated to the 1960's. The flower-shaped pool is painted in bright colors that match the surrounding buildings. Adjacent to the Hippy Dippy Pool is a water play area, where small children can play in gentle fountains of water bubbling up from the ground.

But, pricing is based only on location.....

Do you need more evidence?

One has 9 restaurants, one has 1. Can you guess which is which?

I'm only going to ask that you actually read my post on this thread before making an assumption. We are in 100% agreement, you need to convince @lockedoutlogic of your theory. CBR is a deluxe location based on it's proximity to Epcot and DHS alone. It obviously didn't have all the amenities, that is why they are upgrading the resort with better amenities like the DVC tower, the gondola / direct park access and other promised amenities like shopping and restaurants.

The point that your missing is, in today's Disney, they would never build a "value or moderate resort" in such a prime location, it's "being fixed". "Deluxe resorts" get the best locations with the best amenities. Value resorts get less valuable locations with fewer amenities. They go hand in hand. That is why it's so odd ball / ludicrous to argue CBR was "land locked" or impossible to be connected to the parks because it was supposedly proclaimed less desirable over 30 years ago. Nonsense.

The gondola being extended to Pop / AoA is only adding value to those resorts. It likely will increase their price slightly but not as much as CBR because of their location. I've been trying to tell people for weeks now that this was exactly what was happening but I was ridiculed for suggesting it. This doesn't mean the end of WDW resorts as we know them, the gondola is just another amenity that was cost effective. You have to ask yourself if people would be losing their minds if they were just adding another type of amenity to Pop and AoA like slides in the pools? Would that also signify a catastrophic change in philosophy? Of course not.

I'm only going to ask that you actually read my post on this thread before making an assumption. We are in 100% agreement, you need to convince @lockedoutlogic of your theory. CBR is a deluxe location based on it's proximity to Epcot and DHS alone. It obviously didn't have all the amenities, that is why they are upgrading the resort with better amenities like the DVC tower, the gondola / direct park access and other promised amenities like shopping and restaurants.

The point that your missing is, in today's Disney, they would never build a "value or moderate resort" in such a prime location, it's "being fixed". "Deluxe resorts" get the best locations with the best amenities. Value resorts get less valuable locations with fewer amenities. They go hand in hand. That is why it's so odd ball / ludicrous to argue CBR was "land locked" or impossible to be connected to the parks because it was supposedly proclaimed less desirable over 30 years ago. Nonsense.

The gondola being extended to Pop / AoA is only adding value to those resorts. It likely will increase their price slightly but not as much as CBR because of their location. I've been trying to tell people for weeks now that this was exactly what was happening but I was ridiculed for suggesting it. This doesn't mean the end of WDW resorts as we know them, the gondola is just another amenity that was cost effective. You have to ask yourself if people would be losing their minds if they were just adding another type of amenity to Pop and AoA like slides in the pools? Would that also signify a catastrophic change in philosophy? Of course not.

You didn't READ it at all...it's not making your location argument

Yoi...

You didn't READ it at all...it's not making your location argument

Yoi...
Yup, read it again... still says the same thing. Deluxe has the better location and best amenities; value has lessor amenities and worse location. I'm in complete agreement and it's what I've been saying all along. What are you missing?

I've been trying to tell people for weeks now that this was exactly what was happening but I was ridiculed for suggesting it.

My BS meter just went off the chart. You show me where you suggested this as an option for connecting Epcot and DHS to CBR and where we ridiculed you for it. You INSISTED water transportation was the way to go, the ONLY way to go, and how cheap and easy it would be to do it.

Thanks yeah, it seemed like a bad deal when I heard about it the first time. But I never really expected to have a windfall either, no one does I guess. I do like staying onsite because it consolidates costs and keeps things simple. I don't begrudge people who feel the opposite, the cost for some of these rooms makes me cringe. I feel like maybe DVC could give some options to stay at different places, we're not picky, while insulating against some price increases.
Apologies for the off-topic-ness of this...

Yes - the big trick is insulating against long term price increases. We only ever stayed deluxe once before buying in in 2014, we were concerted Moderate-goers, but seeing the direction of the pricing on hotels, especially the moderates...I wholy expect them to be up near $300 a night 10 years from now. We are heading for a long weekend in November that's costing us 39 points - at the cost weighted average (including buy-in across length of contract and annual dues) of about $8.40 a point, that's $327.60 for 4 nights, which averages to $81.90 per night. I've never paid that little for an on-site stay, not even at a value. Now, this is just about the lowest priced room you can possibly get with DVC, and it's a challenge to get it, but even at twice the price it sure beats $200-250 a night at a moderate. The biggest difficulty is getting over the up-front cost. If you have an unexpected windfall, that's a perfect way to take that money and make it work for your long-time enjoyment. Everytime you watch the fireworks from your balcony you can say "Thank you Grandma.."

Back on-topic...

Yup, read it again... still says the same thing. Deluxe has the better location and best amenities; value has lessor amenities and worse location. I'm in complete agreement and it's what I've been saying all along. What are you missing?

I think (but not 100%) that he is arguing the amenities are at least as important and maybe more than the location. I am with you though - the reason they put hotels there with great amenities is because of their location. As you say...Disney realizes that there's an opportunity with CBR to take advantage of it's location. It's not Port Orleans off aways from a park...it's 1000 feet from Epcot and 2500 feet from DHS.

But yes, you start getting to $300 a night based on location, people are going to also expect amenities. So that's what we'll see, improved amenities. They'll never be able to charge high end deluxe prices.

I think (but not 100%) that he is arguing the amenities are at least as important and maybe more than the location. I am with you though - the reason they put hotels there with great amenities is because of their location. As you say...Disney realizes that there's an opportunity with CBR to take advantage of it's location. It's not Port Orleans off aways from a park...it's 1000 feet from Epcot and 2500 feet from DHS.

But yes, you start getting to $300 a night based on location, people are going to also expect amenities. So that's what we'll see, improved amenities. They'll never be able to charge high end deluxe prices.

Do you realize how close POR is to MK?!

I believe it's closest to Epcot.

Yes and no.

According to Google Maps, it's 4.3 miles to MK going Vista Blvd, ~3.8 miles to Epcot.

Surprisingly, it's actually "closest" to Hollywood Studios because it's a straight shot down Bonnet Creek and onto Buena Vista Drive - 3.2 miles.

Yes and no.

According to Google Maps, it's 4.3 miles to MK going Vista Way, ~3.8 miles to Epcot.

Surprisingly, it's actually "closest" to Hollywood Studios because it's a straight shot down Bonnet Creek and onto Buena Vista Drive - 3.2 miles.
Only 4.3? It looks longer than that on google maps. Anyways I just remember staying there for marathon weekend and seeing the lights from the parking lot in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter