** Picture of the Day 3 **

Ward Kimball No.5 Arrives New Orleans Square Station
October 21, 2015

After having the good fortune to see the Hollywood Home Movies: Disneyland presented by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences last week, I’m more in tune with the Disneyland Railroad and the huge impact it had on Walt and the creation of Disneyland. Walt and Ward Kimball were good friends and in the late 40’s visited many working large scale steam locomotive train layouts. Ward had his own running steam layout on his property for many years.

John Kimball, Ward’s son was one of the guest speakers and during the showing of the films, the two men could be seen with huge smiles on their faces. Both of them joking around for the camera and enjoying their love of trains.

Ward, one of Disney’s Nine Old Men, died at the age of 88 in 2002. In 2005 the Disney Railroad named its newly acquired engine No.5 the “Ward Kimball”. Surly Walt would have wanted this more than anything for his friend.

Thankfully I’ll be in the park a couple of more times before the railroad shuts down for the rerouting in preparation for Star Wars Land. I’ll surly tip my hat as the Ward Kimball rumbles by.

22575888812_6193935310_b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter