Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

Hey Happy!
I just got the a300 too today.

I am so mad! The guy at best buy gave me the wrong memory card. He told me that the memory stick duo would fit it and I can't get it to work :headache: So not only did it take Forever to charge up the stupid battery but now I can't take any pics :headache:

That's a sad commentary on the big electronics stores - sure, they stock alot of different things and can have reasonable prices...but don't expect expertise (or even basic knowledge sometimes) from the staff in any of those areas of products they sell.

You'll have to head back to the store and pick up a "CF" or "Compact Flash" card for your A300. Likely the sales associate you dealt with had some basic knowledge of Sony's P&S line, and assumed that the Alpha line all took the same MS Duo cards. All of Sony's DSLRs take CF cards (though some like the A700 have dual slots, for CF and MS Duo).

At least they're reasonably priced - you should be able to get plenty of memory and cheaper than the Memorystick card. If you intend to shoot alot of pics in quick succession or make use of the burst mode at all, I'd recommend you shoot for one of the faster cards - Sandisk for example makes cards in II, III, and IV speed modes, each being a little more expensive than the last. A III card will do just fine in the A300 - It's what I've been using since I got my camera and I use burst mode regularly for wildlife shooting and birding.

High-Capacity Media Options
For conveniently storing and sharing your images, the α (alpha) DSLR-A300 accepts CompactFlash™ Type I/II media and Memory Stick PRO Duo™ media via an optional adapter.

I agree with zackiedawg I highly recommend Compact flash cards,

they are cheaper..

I just picked up 3 16 gig cards for under 100 bucks

That's a sad commentary on the big electronics stores - sure, they stock alot of different things and can have reasonable prices...but don't expect expertise (or even basic knowledge sometimes) from the staff in any of those areas of products they sell.

You'll have to head back to the store and pick up a "CF" or "Compact Flash" card for your A300. Likely the sales associate you dealt with had some basic knowledge of Sony's P&S line, and assumed that the Alpha line all took the same MS Duo cards. All of Sony's DSLRs take CF cards (though some like the A700 have dual slots, for CF and MS Duo).

At least they're reasonably priced - you should be able to get plenty of memory and cheaper than the Memorystick card. If you intend to shoot alot of pics in quick succession or make use of the burst mode at all, I'd recommend you shoot for one of the faster cards - Sandisk for example makes cards in II, III, and IV speed modes, each being a little more expensive than the last. A III card will do just fine in the A300 - It's what I've been using since I got my camera and I use burst mode regularly for wildlife shooting and birding.

Thanks for the help! I plan on going back as soon as they open.

Just wanting an opinion.....My Circuit City has a ton of Sony 75-300 lenses still available. At 30% off, they are $137 right now at their going out of business sale. Is this lens worth getting, or shouldn't I bother? I still have an old Minolta one, but it's so heavy, I thought at this price, it might be a good alternative, but don't know if it's comperable.

Just wanting an opinion.....My Circuit City has a ton of Sony 75-300 lenses still available. At 30% off, they are $137 right now at their going out of business sale. Is this lens worth getting, or shouldn't I bother? I still have an old Minolta one, but it's so heavy, I thought at this price, it might be a good alternative, but don't know if it's comperable.

What Minolta lens is it you'd be replacing?

I would tend to say don't bother, if you've already got a Minolta lens with that same general range. The newer lens won't get you much different, sometimes the older ones can have better IQ, it won't be too much lighter either...and it isn't a very fast lens.

If you're going to look for new lenses other than the kit, or your older Minolta lenses, the only one I'd really highly recommend in the cheaper range would be the 18-250, in either Sony guise or Tamron guise (Tamron makes the lens for Sony, so optically they're the same). Its extraordinary range for a compact lens make it a wonderful walkaround companion, and it can be left on the camera for almost any type of shooting. It can go decenty wide (27mm equiv at the wide end), and also pretty amazing telephoto (375mm equivalent), so it has great versatility...and focus is fast and accurate, colors are great, and it can be used in a pinch for everything from action to slow-shutter night shots.

I'd consider it a 'must have' for most Alpha users, along with the mighty Minolta 50mm F1.7 for low light needs (these can be picked up used for between $100-200 generally...though get it quick if you see it because the market has gone up for these on the used market...I bought mine a year ago in mint condition for $65, and that's now an unheard of price).

Look for a used 18-250 if you want to save a little - they're not inexpensive, but for the range they give you they're a bargain.

If you're going to look for new lenses other than the kit, or your older Minolta lenses, the only one I'd really highly recommend in the cheaper range would be the 18-250, in either Sony guise or Tamron guise (Tamron makes the lens for Sony, so optically they're the same). Its extraordinary range for a compact lens make it a wonderful walkaround companion, and it can be left on the camera for almost any type of shooting. It can go decenty wide (27mm equiv at the wide end), and also pretty amazing telephoto (375mm equivalent), so it has great versatility...and focus is fast and accurate, colors are great, and it can be used in a pinch for everything from action to slow-shutter night shots.

It's a great lens, but it's a ~$500 lens when they were asking about a $140 lens ;)

A better alternative to the Sony 75-300mm would be the Tamron 70-300mm which is currently $150 at B&H.

Ok so I don't know how to do everything with this camera but here are my first pics
Tell me your honest comments!
NewFeb909004.jpg

NewFeb909005.jpg

NewFeb909009.jpg

Nice shots. Looks like you're playing with the extremely shallow depth of field - wide open apertures will make the focus point very very narrow, a cool effect when you learn to use it.

Also, your cat looks an awful lot like mine, but with different color eyes:

104772190.jpg

:)

Pete Werner, owner of this site, recently sent a cease and desist notice to the owners of the website d i s l i v e . c o m demanding that they stop using their site because the name is too similar to his. To avoid an expensive legal battle, they changed the name of their site. He has now sent a letter demanding they turn over the domain name to him or face a lawsuit. Not offering to pay for it, but simply demanding it be turned over. He apparently thinks he has absolute rights to the letters dis. Gosh, Pete, going after Disney next?

Just wanted to let you know a little about the “ethics” of the board owner.

I just started playing around with the camera. I am waiting for my son to tell me to stop taking photos of him!
I got my a300 at circuit city's going out of business sale. Brand new in box too! They also had the 18-200 for $140. I am considering that.
I did tell my co-workers that I got the camera and it takes Minolta lenses. One of them says she may have some Minolta lenses left in her house by her ex-husband and I can have them. (at least her ex is good for something!:rotfl2: ).

Will all the Minolta lenses fit on the a300? I gather these are older ones, probably from the x-700slr.
I sure hope they do!

I just started playing around with the camera. I am waiting for my son to tell me to stop taking photos of him!
I got my a300 at circuit city's going out of business sale. Brand new in box too! They also had the 18-200 for $140. I am considering that.
I did tell my co-workers that I got the camera and it takes Minolta lenses. One of them says she may have some Minolta lenses left in her house by her ex-husband and I can have them. (at least her ex is good for something!:rotfl2: ).

Will all the Minolta lenses fit on the a300? I gather these are older ones, probably from the x-700slr.
I sure hope they do!

Only auto-focus Minolta lenses will work, X-anything is a different mount and they are MF only anyway. Sorry :(

Only auto-focus Minolta lenses will work, X-anything is a different mount and they are MF only anyway. Sorry :(

I should have known it was too good to be true! :sad2: I guess I will get the lens at circuit city if it's still there.

I should have known it was too good to be true! :sad2: I guess I will get the lens at circuit city if it's still there.

That is an insanely good price for the 18-200mm.. the 18-250mm gets better reviews, but at that price you definitely wouldn't be going wrong.

Just make sure you open the box at the register in front of the cashier, there have been some reports of people buying CC closeouts that opened the box when they got home to find the wrong lens. (though it only seems to have been with the 16-105mm)

That is an insanely good price for the 18-200mm.. the 18-250mm gets better reviews, but at that price you definitely wouldn't be going wrong.

Just make sure you open the box at the register in front of the cashier, there have been some reports of people buying CC closeouts that opened the box when they got home to find the wrong lens. (though it only seems to have been with the 16-105mm)

This is the floor model so what you see is what you get. They don't have the box either. It didn't have a lens cap on it, so I am wondering if I should take the chance and get it or get a NIB one.

Hi YodasMom! The Corgis and a Sony! :thumbsup2 At our local Circuit City the lenses were marked down again from 30 to 40%. The clerks didn't seem to realize it and if you didn't have them re-scan then maybe it's even less now than you think. Which Minolta are you looking at replacing? If you could use the zoom and are leaving the Minolta at home b/c it's too heavy then it may well be worth it.

Hi YodasMom! The Corgis and a Sony! :thumbsup2 At our local Circuit City the lenses were marked down again from 30 to 40%. The clerks didn't seem to realize it and if you didn't have them re-scan then maybe it's even less now than you think. Which Minolta are you looking at replacing? If you could use the zoom and are leaving the Minolta at home b/c it's too heavy then it may well be worth it.

Just checked the lens I'm thinking about replacing. It's a Tamron (Minolta mount) AF Aspherical. It's actually 28-200mm / 1:3.8-5.6. But, the only ones my Circuit City has are 75 to 300 and they had a lot of them Friday. I can also check other Circuit City's later in the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter