Passes ( 2 Different Resorts)

Boardwalk III

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I will be staying on DVC points at 2 different resorts this October (3 nights at WLV and 7 nights at BWV Grand Villa). I want to buy the passes for my stay (formerly length-of stay) as my boys will visit Disney Quest at least twice.

Here is my question:

Can I buy the passes for my whole stay? It would cost me a lot more if I have to buy them in 2 separate transactions (one at each hotel) Has anyone had experience with this? I appreciate your advice and suggestions!

I don't believe you can get UMP passes allowing you to switch resorts in the middle.

Since you are staying 10 nights, and if you plan on visiting the parks most of the time, you may want to consider annual passes.

The problem is that the "regular" APs do not include DQ, you would have to go with PAPs, and you DO pay a premium.

I'd still work the math, figuring in the 15% AP discount on individual DQ tickets.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response - I was afraid that's what I'd hear. I actually was going to drop the 1st and last day, only needing an 8-day UMP which was the best solution for me. I wish DVC would come up with a solution to this one!

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please feel free to jump in!

I have done this before. Actually it was at the Beach Club for 3 days and the Contemporary for 4 days. The checkout day at the beach club was our checkin day at the Cont. So the passes were not activated until we checked in at the Contemporary. So the nice people at the front desk at the Cont. let me go over there the night before and precheck in and had our passes delivered to the BC first thing the next morning so we could go early entry into the park that day. Otherwise our entire party would have had to go over to the Contemporary early in the morning to check in and get the passes. It worked out great and the Contemporary was so wonderful in understanding our situation. They said it happens all the time. You can eliminate either the check in day or check out day of the LOS. We have done it several times. Good luck.

Are you sure AP's aren't to your advantage?

A better question might be what are you getting with the UMP that you are using that you wouldn't get with an AP or 7 day hopper. The hopper includes 4 days that can be used at waterparks or pleasure island.

As for Disney Quest...I think you can get an AP specifically for Disney Quest for a very small price.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS - I'm sure I'll figure it all out with some more pricing analysis!

SHELL - Did you have UMP's at both resorts or just at the 2nd one? I was actually wondering if they would ever let you pre-check in the night before so glad to hear they allowed it!

Yes they both were UMP. If you didn't eliminate a day at one resort the price was much higher for two separate passes for 7 days vs one for the 7 days. So by eliminating one day it brought the cost within line. The Cont. was extremely understand of our situation, I am sure the BWV and theGF will be as well. Just explain your situation to them!!!

I'd consider other options. You could to UMP for one stay or both and drop at least the overlap day and likely more if needed. Also consider other passes ands just paying for DQ. The plus passes (which do not expire) will let you into DQ with the plus options I'm told.

I have a similar situation as my family is staying at the BWV and then switching for the last few nights to the VWL; we were planning on the length of stay passes too. Your question about the effect of switching resorts on the length of stay passes drove me to call the front desk at the BWV and ask.

I was told that you may only purchase a length of stay pass for the length of your stay at that particular resort. You would then have to purchase a new pass for your length of stay at the second resort.

Well, when I recalculated the cost of purchasing length of stay passes at two separate resorts, I found that the price increase was ridiculous. It would be cheaper ticket wise to stay ot one resort.

Not wanting to bother the BWV front desk again, I called the VWL front desk and asked the same question. The young woman there told me that I could purchase a length of stay pass for my entire stay, even if switching resorts.

So now I am seeking a third party that I can ask, in hopes of verifying the VWL front desk's answer.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Since you'd need 8 day UMPs anyway, is there any chance you'd return to WDW within a year (maybe schedule next years vacation a week earlier)? If so, I'd go with APs or PAPs.

ANother vote for APs. We have found that tactic to be so much more economical.

Thanks everyone for your interest in this - it really seems crazy that DVC can't make this simpler for us. Please let me know if you get that third opinion!

I have considered Annual Passes but the lack of Disney Quest as an option on the regular AP's (don't want to pay for premium) has steered me away. Besides, we probably won't be back in less than a year.

I also love to have my room key and pass all in one - just a silly preference of mine, but not worth it if I have to pay a premium for it!

Boardwalk III,
My husband also loves to go to Disney Quest several times on our WDW trips. As for me, I love the lazy rivers at the Water Parks, and we always hit the Comedy Club and Adventurers' club at Pleasure Island frequently, so the Length of Stay or Ultimate park Hopper pass (whatever they are calling it now) seems to best fit my family's likes. We too are not planning to return to WDW until 2004/2005, so the premium annual pass is not cost effective for us.

I e-mailed the WDW resort through their website to ask about the switching resorts/ passes issue. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Over Thanksgiving we stayed at both BW (4 days) and WL (3 days) . We purchased an UMP pass for the entire stay, dropping both the first and last days, so it was only a 5 day pass. When we moved to WL they gave us new cards with the remainder of our pass, which we had purchased at check-in at BW.

ahoff
That is so good to hear. Thank you for your posting. I still have yet to hear back from Disney about this, but it helps to know that it has been done before. It will save us approx. $150.00 (for my husband and me) if we can avoid having to purchase UPH passes twice on our trip.

akghutton -Thanks so much for following up on this with WDW! Please do keep me posted as it does look like some people have been able to do this, and it is certainly my first preference!

ahoff - thanks for sharing your expeirence. I have 8 people involved so the price difference would be huge for us!

Ok, this is the e-mail that I received from WDW today regarding UMPs and switching resorts. I am now very confused, considering that people have posted that they have been able to buy one pass to cover their entire trip, even when switching hotels. It doesn't seem as though there is one policy that is followed by all of the resorts. How can that be?

This is the e-mail response:

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Passes may only be purchased for the number of nights listed on one reservation
at one resort and may not be purchased for visits of greater or lesser duration.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

They sure aren't making things easy, are they? At least for DVC members there should be an easier policy if we'd like to split resorts during our stay. I may end up buying a 4-day hopper, use two days, save two days for future use, and then buy the rest of my stay (at BWV) on a UMP for the other 6 days - this is really a pain though!

I don't really want to risk getting down there and have them say no to a single UMP, but who knows whht I'll end up doing!

Thanks for trying everyone!

BoardwalkIII
I e-mailed back the Disney info asking about the conflicting information. I am waiting for a reply.

My husband and I also looked into getting UPH for our 8-days at the BWV and 4-day park hoppers for our stay at VWL. Granted, if we do not use days on the park hoppers, we can use them on subsequent trips. However, the price difference for two adult is absurd. A 11 day UPH would cost us $791.86 with the DVC discount. An 8 day UPH and 4 day park hopper pass for 2 adults is $1308.96 with the DVC and DC discounts!!!

If we have to I think that we will end up paying the extra $150.00 for an 8 day UPH at BWV and 4 day park hopper at VWL.

I just don't understand if a person is staying on Disney property, why one can't purchase an UPH for his/her entire stay, regardless of whether or not he/she is switching resorts. It is not as though you get any extra perks/services if you buy an an 8 day pass plus a 4 day pass as opposed to an 11 day pass; it is just a price difference and doesn't seem fair.

I will let you know what I find out.

Boardwalk III
GOOD NEWS FROM DVC MEMBER SERVICES!!!!

I e-mailed them about the resort switching/UPH situation and this was their response:

You can receive an Ultimate Park Hopper for the entire length of stay and simply
get a new card at the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. This privilege has
been extended to Members only who stay at our resorts.

The regular ticket people would not know this since it is only for members. The
front desk should be able to explain this to you when you check into the Disney
BoardWalk Villas. Just show them your confirmation for the Villas at Disney's
Wilderness Lodge and ask for an Ultimate Park Hopper for your length of stay.

I printed out their reply to take with me. I am glad to finally have some resolution to this problem. Yea for the DVC!!!!

:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter