Party for the Senses 10/20/07 - Join Us!!!

Well tell your Mom she has done a great job! It's not an easy job with all kids, some really get set in eating & drinking the same darn thing day in & out! Beer was easy for me, lots of beer drinkers in our family! And even though my favorite wines are now strong bold reds, it took years before I even liked red wine.

Dominican Republic we'll be a new one for us too! We have a pretty large hispanic population here in New Orleans, mostly Cuban, Mexican and Central American. One of our fav local places is Salvadoran, delicious Pupusas! So food samples at the culinary demo would be nice!;) We've stopped in Jamaica on a cruise, but I don't think eating at Margaritaville can qualify as a true Caribbean culinary experience! :laughing:
Well I know my mom will love to hear that! I was that child that you would ask what she wanted to eat and I would spout off "Red Lobster, Dalts (a fine american cuisine restaurant that closed years ago), Outback..." never McDonald's or BK. lol, or I would rather eat at home and have a nice homecooked meal. Fast food has only been something I eat now, and the horrifying love I have for Taco Bell (or taco Hell as my mom calls it) is disgusting :lmao:
I love the Nicaraguan food places, they call them fritanga here, so good!!! I can eat Cuban food at home, and it's awesome so I can't really eat it out because it doesn't compare to my mom's food.

Hrm.....is it me, or is it shockingly similar to last year? Maybe it's just that the main things that stuck out at me were all the same.

No Creme Brulee? I might have to die :scared1:
Very similar but as long as they don't take the mexican stuff away I will be happy. I am disappointed about the creme brulee. That chocolate one was sooooo delicious.:love:

popping in quickly while I should be working... there do seem to be a lot of repeats from last year. I've noticed that a lot over the last five years or so... the food booth choices really don't change as much as I thought they would.

But it does sound like there will still be some yummy snackables.

I'm with Erica... Hey France, what happened to the creme brulee? If you're looking for a constant menu item to offer F&W patrons from year-to-year I'd suggest that as opposed to snails bathing in butter sauce or wrapped in a pastry blankie. ;)

Brenda, you're alive! :woohoo: ;)

According to my husband, who has been to a few more of these things than I have, most of the menu does stay the same from year to year. I guess I've just always been too tipsy and full to notice? :rolleyes1

Anyone else cut and paste the menu to word, so that you can highlight? Or was it just me.....

Great Beers of the World
Food Offerings: Pretzel and Pita Chips
Beverage Offerings: Hoegaarden®, Stella Artois, Leffe
Blonde, Bass Ale, Boddingtons Ale

Tom the beer man here...this is definitely an upgrade - Hoegaarden and Leffe Blond are much better choices than they previously offered. These will likely be the beers the free tasting at the R&C too. Far more drinkable than the usual Epcot stuff.

Anyone else cut and paste the menu to word, so that you can highlight? Or was it just me.....

I did that! And reformatted it too so that it looked a lot nicer.

So much I want to try!

popping in quickly while I should be working... there do seem to be a lot of repeats from last year. I've noticed that a lot over the last five years or so... the food booth choices really don't change as much as I thought they would.

But it does sound like there will still be some yummy snackables.

I'm with Erica... Hey France, what happened to the creme brulee? If you're looking for a constant menu item to offer F&W patrons from year-to-year I'd suggest that as opposed to snails bathing in butter sauce or wrapped in a pastry blankie. ;)

Brenda, Wondering where you'd been! I'm glad to see you around too! I agree they should have kept the creme brulee & done away with the chewy snails! I'm happy they kept that goat cheese pastry though, yummy!

In 2009 they will have a paper plate with a truffle printed on it.

Sorry, I invade all the food and wine threads.

:rotfl:

Well I know my mom will love to hear that! I was that child that you would ask what she wanted to eat and I would spout off "Red Lobster, Dalts (a fine american cuisine restaurant that closed years ago), Outback..." never McDonald's or BK. lol, or I would rather eat at home and have a nice homecooked meal. Fast food has only been something I eat now, and the horrifying love I have for Taco Bell (or taco Hell as my mom calls it) is disgusting :lmao:
I love the Nicaraguan food places, they call them fritanga here, so good!!! I can eat Cuban food at home, and it's awesome so I can't really eat it out because it doesn't compare to my mom's food.

Very similar but as long as they don't take the mexican stuff away I will be happy. I am disappointed about the creme brulee. That chocolate one was sooooo delicious.:love:

I hope you're learning how to cook all of your Mom's dishes! I think I've finally mastered ropa vieja but I've bombed big time on the rice & beans! :confused3(The recipe I had called for cooking the beans & rice together, uck! Came out as a thick gloppy mess! I'll have to websurf for another recipe & try that again.)

Great Beers of the World
Food Offerings: Pretzel and Pita Chips
Beverage Offerings: Hoegaarden®, Stella Artois, Leffe
Blonde, Bass Ale, Boddingtons Ale

Tom the beer man here...this is definitely an upgrade - Hoegaarden and Leffe Blond are much better choices than they previously offered. These will likely be the beers the free tasting at the R&C too. Far more drinkable than the usual Epcot stuff.

Beer Man, those sound interesting. Don't think we've ever tried either one of those or any type of White Ale! We'll definitely have to make a couple of stops there. Thanks!

I did that! And reformatted it too so that it looked a lot nicer.

So much I want to try!

Good idea! :thumbsup2 I'll have to go reformat it now!

Oklahoma - Route 66
Pecan Pie
Native Peach Buckle

Oklahoma - Native American
Three Sister Soup
Seared Buffalo with Scalloped Wild Onions

I just saw those listed on Allears!
I haven't had buffalo in forever, I'm excited about that!

I hope you're learning how to cook all of your Mom's dishes! I think I've finally mastered ropa vieja but I've bombed big time on the rice & beans! :confused3(The recipe I had called for cooking the beans & rice together, uck! Came out as a thick gloppy mess! I'll have to websurf for another recipe & try that again.)
Yeah, I'm definitely learning how to cook it all!! Ropa Vieja is my absolute favorite meal!! I have to beg Mom to make that because she hates pounding the meat out lol!!
The rice & beans recipe was probably for Con Gris (red beans and rice mixed and cooked together) Moro is black beans and rice cooked together (Con Gris literally means With Grey and Moro, I have no idea what that means, lol). I hate con gris and moro, but I love black beans and white rice.

I'll give you a secret to AWESOME black beans... start from the can!! Buy the can of "ready to Eat" goya or Kirby beans and then you add stuff to make the magic!! For a large can we use one palmful of dried oregano (crush it in your hands), 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/3 cup of any kind of cooking wine (I know, not good stuff but for beans its a must!!), fill up a 1/3 of the bean can with water and put that in too, half a palmful of black pepper and finally, the secret ingredient... half a red bell pepper, seeded but put in whole. It's for flavor and you pull it out after the beans are done. Cook the beans for 20-30 minutes on medium until they are thick to your liking and the oregano is soft. You salt the beans to taste towards the end of the cooking. Also, if you have some chicken smaltz or rendered pork fat (NOT BACON!!) add a heaping tablespoon when you add the olive oil. it will give them a depth of flavor that makes it taste you were cooking them all day!! And then that's it! Make your white rice however you make it and sppon the beans over the rice and enjoy!:thumbsup2

Oklahoma - Route 66
Pecan Pie
Native Peach Buckle

Three Sister Soup

Mmmmm, I've only had buffalo once and was not too keen on it but I will definitely try it again! I wonder what's Three Sister Soup?

Oklahoma - Route 66
Pecan Pie
Native Peach Buckle

Three Sister Soup

Mmmm sounds yummy! I did notice that Allears has the prices at $2 - $6, that's pretty much the same prices we saw last year.

Yeah, I'm definitely learning how to cook it all!! Ropa Vieja is my absolute favorite meal!! I have to beg Mom to make that because she hates pounding the meat out lol!!
The rice & beans recipe was probably for Con Gris (red beans and rice mixed and cooked together) Moro is black beans and rice cooked together (Con Gris literally means With Grey and Moro, I have no idea what that means, lol). I hate con gris and moro, but I love black beans and white rice.

I'll give you a secret to AWESOME black beans... start from the can!! Buy the can of "ready to Eat" goya or Kirby beans and then you add stuff to make the magic!! For a large can we use one palmful of dried oregano (crush it in your hands), 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/3 cup of any kind of cooking wine (I know, not good stuff but for beans its a must!!), fill up a 1/3 of the bean can with water and put that in too, half a palmful of black pepper and finally, the secret ingredient... half a red bell pepper, seeded but put in whole. It's for flavor and you pull it out after the beans are done. Cook the beans for 20-30 minutes on medium until they are thick to your liking and the oregano is soft. You salt the beans to taste towards the end of the cooking. Also, if you have some chicken smaltz or rendered pork fat (NOT BACON!!) add a heaping tablespoon when you add the olive oil. it will give them a depth of flavor that makes it taste you were cooking them all day!! And then that's it! Make your white rice however you make it and sppon the beans over the rice and enjoy!:thumbsup2

Mmmmm, I've only had buffalo once and was not too keen on it but I will definitely try it again! I wonder what's Three Sister Soup?

Thanks Jennifer!!! I'm going to put that in my recipe file right now! Glad to hear I can start with the canned beans, who would have known! Really cooking wine? I don't usually keep it in the house, do I need to buy one for the beans or could I use a cheapie regular wine. ( I usually keep a large bottle of inexpensive but half decent red & white for cooking.)

Wow, your black bean recipe sounds yummy. I'm going to keep this one!!

Thanks Jennifer!!! I'm going to put that in my recipe file right now! Glad to hear I can start with the canned beans, who would have known! Really cooking wine? I don't usually keep it in the house, do I need to buy one for the beans or could I use a cheapie regular wine. ( I usually keep a large bottle of inexpensive but half decent red & white for cooking.)
I think the cooking wine is a must but that's only because we always have it in my house, I wouldn't go out and buy a bottle if you normally don't buy it so cheapie white wine instead would be fine! I love this recipe, I could eat black beans all the time and the can makes them so easy. But it HAS TO BE the "Ready to Eat" ones, the other kind are super bland.
Also if you make a batch with 2 of the large cans you can freeze half and it's perfect for a quick meal one day down the road. I think I have beans in the freezer right now that are at least 3 months old.

And now you can say that you have authentic Cuban black beans!:banana: :banana:

Wow, your black bean recipe sounds yummy. I'm going to keep this one!!
Good!! I'm so glad! And starting from the can really makes them so easy to make on a whim. And it is super yummy, especially when you add the smaltz or rendered pork fat! They taste like you have been slaving away at the stove all day!!

Seems to be a soup made of corn, squash and beans which should be interesting.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Three-Sisters-Soup/Detail.aspx
Hmm, very interesting. I really don't like corn in my soups but I'll try anything.:cool1:

OH!! ANd I forgot one thing for the bean recipe... a quarter of a palmful of cumin! That really makes them taste authentic.

I'm almost ready to sign up now that I see Keegan Gerhard is there on the 20th.

I saw the info that Keegan would be at the F&W Fest on 10/18 and 10/20, but it didn't give the info on WHERE he would be. Will he be at PFTS? I love him, especially after experiencing him (not him, that is obscene, but his presentation) last last year at Sweet Sundays. He is my big celebrity crush!!!!

I saw the info that Keegan would be at the F&W Fest on 10/18 and 10/20, but it didn't give the info on WHERE he would be. Will he be at PFTS? I love him, especially after experiencing him (not him, that is obscene, but his presentation) last last year at Sweet Sundays. He is my big celebrity crush!!!!

well, it doesn't say he will be at P4TS but he's scheduled for October 18 and 20 and he isn't doing any other events. Most likely he'll do a free demo but I'd bet he's going to do something else, the party is a good bet.

Mr. Gerhard was the highlight of the first food and wine festival I went to in 2000, they had an event in the Odyssey called the Grand Tasting (like P4TS but much much smaller) and he made some sort of mango ravioli in a martini glass, and I had so many of them that when he saw me walk by his table he'd just hold out a glass for me.

Keegan Gerhard! :love: I will be on the look-out for him.

I loved his wedding special on the Food Network. Last year, at the Sweet Sundays I attended, he had his then-fiance with him. Adorable!

Keegan Gerhard! :love: I will be on the look-out for him.

I loved his wedding special on the Food Network. Last year, at the Sweet Sundays I attended, he had his then-fiance with him. Adorable!

Which session were you at last year?
My mother and I were at the afternoon session - she had too much fun that day trying to get me drunk.

I love Keegan too!!!

Keegan is adorable. My mom will be so excited to see him! His wedding special was really interesting with all those cakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter