Part 2 of 3: Our Disneyland experience:

Dodie

<font color=green>Survived the big crash<br><font
Part 2 of 3: Our Disneyland experience:

As I mentioned in my first post, we spent two half days and one full day at Disneyland.

We had been “warned” by several people that we would be disappointed in Disneyland because we had been to WDW so many times. “It’s so small…The castle is tiny…It’s older…” That was TOTALLY NOT THE CASE!!!! We LOVED everything about it!

The difference in the details is amazing. Little things like more details in the graveyard scene in the Haunted Mansion, more “critters” on Big Thunder Mountain, and the amazing architectural details on Main Street really jumped out at us. The landscaping is so lush, the trees that form the berm around the park are so large and beautiful, the pathways (although narrow in places) are so charming… I could go on and on!

We did the “Walk in Walt’s Footsteps Tour,” which I would recommend if you are a first-timer. This was one of the options with our Disney Travel Co. package. DH and I are both 40 years old, so we grew up watching Walt talk about Disneyland on TV, but the tour was a great introduction. The only comment I would make is that it is advertised as a two-hour tour, but the guide told us up front that it would be 3 to 3 ½ hours – and it was. That was fine, but may be more of a time commitment than some people are willing to make. We really enjoyed it though!

Although the park seemed pretty crowded, we did almost everything at Disneyland during our stay. We made good use of Fast Pass, so our longest wait was one trip on Thunder Mountain after dark (without Fast Pass) that took about 25 minutes in line. Park hours were extended to 10:00 p.m. on two nights when we were there – I think that’s because there were a lot of college-aged kids in the park (spring break?), which really added to the crowds.

We were amazed that we actually enjoyed every ride we went on that we had been on in Florida better at Disneyland. Thunder Mountain was longer – with more dark parts and detail. The Haunted Mansion had more details and the audio was much better. Space Mountain was darker and (although a little rougher) more fun. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Disneyland is beautiful at night. The walkways seem darker than at WDW, and the landscaping and lighting is just wonderful. It was very romantic.

We ate at the Carnation Café on Main Street twice. The chicken caesar salad is wonderful, and enough to share. We also had pasta and pizza at Redd Rocket’s (sp?) in Tomorrowland. That was shareable and very good too.

We didn’t watch the parade, although it was running twice daily during our visit. We used that time to get on some of the larger rides.

DH was very disappointed that Pirates was down, although I had warned him in advance. (I guess that will be our excuse to return someday!)

One final thing: We have tried for years to get in the front car on the monorail at WDW, but they always pick families with young children – and not us. We got to ride in the front on a trip from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney. It was great fun! The “kids” who were driving the monorail (I’m 40 – they were 20 = “kids”) were great. They showed us how the computerized system worked and everything. There was a brake fault that kept us in the station for about 10 minutes, while they powered down and back up a couple of times to correct it, so we had a lot of time to chat. It was great!

I’ll add more about Disneyland if I think of it. If not, watch for my third (final) installment about DCA, coming soon…

<font size=4 face="Comic Sans MS" color = blue>D°o°die</font>
<font size=1 color = blue>March 2001 - Our first trip to Disneyland!! (Grand Californian)
March 2001 - WDW Surprise!! (Disney Institute & Dixie Landings)
March 2000 - WDW (All Star Music)
May 1998 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
March 1997 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
May 1996 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
March 1995 - WDW (Dixie Landings)
March 1994 - WDW (Honeymoon! Dixie Landings)</

[This message was edited by Dodie on 04-09-01 at 01:23 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dodie on 04-09-01 at 03:48 PM.]

Again, I like the way you write...it is easy to read. :) Thanks again...heading over to your 3rd report now. :)

<font color=red size=4>HAVE A DISNEY DAY</font>

<font color=navy size=3>M-I-C...see you at The DIS Convention, K-E-Y...why? Because we LOVE Disney, M-O-U-S-Eeee...</font>

I find myself comparing the two parks also. I always feel like I'm coming home with I walk into Disneyland. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!