Parents of the Class of 2019

Gosh, the summer is flying by, and my little one is entering 10th grade. She's only going to be 15 in a few weeks, so she's jealous of the friends who are turning 16, and are starting to drive. My DS is 18, and still on his permit, and let me tell ya, parallel parking is a bugger with him. I'm ready to pay someone to teach him. When little one starts to drive, my gray hair will turn white. Already demanding type of car.

And us too, first time little one has not done school sports. She wants to focus on keeping her almost perfect grade average, and now has all honors, so only sticking with local sport club. Little one also moves to our senior high, as we do 7, 8, 9 for our junior high, then 10,11, 12 for the senior. There's school tour later this month. Little one said, she's going, but with her friends, and after all, I don't need to be there. Okay then. Gosh growing up faster than her DB.

I will say, I really like this summer. It's the first time I have both kids working, and no camp bill. That's a wahoo for me.

oh, and our school doesn't start up until after Labor Day.

Has anyone done Little Shop of Horrors for a musical in school? Last spring the teacher said the musical would be Music Man this fall. We were concerned about not having enough boys but did kind of warm up to the idea. Then last week he decides we don't have enough boys and we would do Little Shop of Horrors or The Sound of Music. I think most of the kids just thought Little Shop of Horrors sounded cool and voted for it so that's what he ordered. From what I gather, this takes a real small cast, so most kids are not going to get a role (we have 13 boys and 55 girls). My girls are disappointed in the choice. They are much more into Sound of Music, happy Disney stuff, not edgy or "horror" stuff but they would like to participate in the musical. For DD17 this is her last chance and DD15 is a theater kid. Has your school done it and was it fun for the kids?

School started last Tuesday and DD turned 15 on Friday. She had several friends out Friday night. The popular weekend activity lately is going to people's houses for a "bonfire" (read: fire pit). DH started a fire but it was drippy out so they partied in our garage. The nice thing is my girls' friend groups are getting a lot of overlap, so the seniors will drive the sophomores out to our house and take them home again. First week of school went alright.

Has anyone done Little Shop of Horrors for a musical in school? Last spring the teacher said the musical would be Music Man this fall. We were concerned about not having enough boys but did kind of warm up to the idea. Then last week he decides we don't have enough boys and we would do Little Shop of Horrors or The Sound of Music. I think most of the kids just thought Little Shop of Horrors sounded cool and voted for it so that's what he ordered. From what I gather, this takes a real small cast, so most kids are not going to get a role (we have 13 boys and 55 girls). My girls are disappointed in the choice. They are much more into Sound of Music, happy Disney stuff, not edgy or "horror" stuff but they would like to participate in the musical. For DD17 this is her last chance and DD15 is a theater kid. Has your school done it and was it fun for the kids?

School started last Tuesday and DD turned 15 on Friday. She had several friends out Friday night. The popular weekend activity lately is going to people's houses for a "bonfire" (read: fire pit). DH started a fire but it was drippy out so they partied in our garage. The nice thing is my girls' friend groups are getting a lot of overlap, so the seniors will drive the sophomores out to our house and take them home again. First week of school went alright.

Little Shop Of Horrors is really more campy than actually scary. There's a pretty funny movie out with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin if you're interested.

Little Shop Of Horrors is really more campy than actually scary. There's a pretty funny movie out with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin if you're interested.

Thanks, I kind of realize that. My school did it my freshman year but I wasn't in it and don't remember much. DD17 tried watching some of that movie and was turned off by the plant sucking blood out of his finger :P. I reminded them that they didn't think last year's play was going to be very good at first, judging by the title, but it was. We'll see if they even get parts anyway.

The popular weekend activity lately is going to people's houses for a "bonfire" (read: fire pit). DH started a fire but it was drippy out so they partied in our garage. The nice thing is my girls' friend groups are getting a lot of overlap, so the seniors will drive the sophomores out to our house and take them home again.

Nice not to have to drive them all home anymore! DS's friends hang out here quite a bit, and I do love the times when someone's mom picks them up and offers to drop others off on her way!

We don't start back until the Tuesday after Labor Day here, so this is DS's last week of freedom.

Nice not to have to drive them all home anymore! DS's friends hang out here quite a bit, and I do love the times when someone's mom picks them up and offers to drop others off on her way!

No joke, it's a large school district (in miles, not population), and we actually live just outside of it. So some kids (including DD17's BFF) are 25 miles from our house.

Gosh, the summer is flying by, and my little one is entering 10th grade. She's only going to be 15 in a few weeks, so she's jealous of the friends who are turning 16, and are starting to drive. My DS is 18, and still on his permit, and let me tell ya, parallel parking is a bugger with him. I'm ready to pay someone to teach him. When little one starts to drive, my gray hair will turn white. Already demanding type of car.

I think DD15 can parallel park better than me (which is not hard to accomplish! I pretty much avoid all parallel parking). Her drivers ed this summer at a different school was tougher than the one her friends took at our school, but it was good for her. Same teacher, coincidentally, but one was through the school and one through a driving school so his program is different depending on who he's working for. BUT, last night she forgot to put her Jeep in park before turning off the key, so we've got more practicing to do. She already has a vehicle, sort of. DD17's pickup is terrible for winter driving, so last winter we got something with 4WD and said it was DD15's. But DD17 drove it last winter as needed.

We've got an extra vehicle (2001 Ford Explorer) that DD will be using. I won't care if it gets dinged, and it runs really well in the winter!

Our school did it s few years ago - it was great, so funny! Dd20 and ds18 were in it.

So DD15 got the female lead (Audrey) in Little Shop of Horrors! The more she has watched online, she's liked it better, and of course now she's thrilled to have a lead part since she's a theater kid. We saw the accent Audrey does in most productions and she did her audition like that, which no one else did. I'm excited for her.

Is anyone's sophomore taking the PSATs next month? We got a notice that they can take it along with the junior for practice. I'm wondering if it would be an advantage to have the experience, or scare him because there's so much curriculum he hasn't seen yet?

Is anyone's sophomore taking the PSATs next month? We got a notice that they can take it along with the junior for practice. I'm wondering if it would be an advantage to have the experience, or scare him because there's so much curriculum he hasn't seen yet?
Dd took it last year, when she had algebra 2, and actually did pretty well. She did no prep. I think you can look at the breakdown of the scores, to see what areas are weak. Dd will be at an overseas dance competition that week, if I had realized she was missing the PSAT's, I might not have signed her up. Our school is suggesting the 8th graders take them this year.

My one and only is a senior. Our district has sophomores take it along with juniors. Dd's sophomore year score breakdown really helped her SAT tutor zero in on where dd needed help.

It worked since dd got an amazing score on her SAT and PSAT last fall as a junior. I'd really encourage to take advantage of this opportunity.

DD is taking the PSAT in October, too. I don't think she's going to study this time, just go in and see what it's like. This year is insane for her between classes and band. She has a football game the night before the PSAT and an out of town competition right after it. She went from little to no homework her freshman year to nightly work that often takes her 4-5 hours (to be fair she does have ADD, which doesn't help her speed through it).

Dropped DD at the community college for some kind of journalism thing. I think she's the only one from her HS there, most of the rest from the next town over. Hope she's having fun :)

so my daughter has a year sub in Algebra who just graduated college this year so it's his first teaching job. He is not explaining things well so this is frustrating daughter. Then he only has 15 minutes for extra help after school.

Her Chemistry teacher says there's a new method where the kids teach themselves huh? How can they learn something they know nothing about?

so my daughter has a year sub in Algebra who just graduated college this year so it's his first teaching job. He is not explaining things well so this is frustrating daughter. Then he only has 15 minutes for extra help after school.

Her Chemistry teacher says there's a new method where the kids teach themselves huh? How can they learn something they know nothing about?

My dad basically taught my algebra class when I was in school. I would take it home, he would show me how to do it, and I would go back to class and show everyone on the board. The wrestling coach teacher didn't know how to do it.

I've had to help my girls with their math quite a bit. Thank goodness for the internet because the textbooks are basically all problems, no explanation.

DD17 just told me her new art teacher doesn't have a degree in teaching or art. :scratchin Kind of frustrating out of 3 art teachers in 4 years, none have been real helpful to her in developing her skill. Last year's was better.

Took DD15 to get her hair done professionally for the first time for homecoming today. She came home in tears because she didn't like it and she wouldn't say anything to the stylist. Mom to the rescue, I took it down and made some more loose curls in it and she's happy. To be fair I didn't think the picture she showed the stylist was a very good one to use for inspiration.

We picked up the boutonierre for her date and we're very pleased with it. They only knew she had a lavender dress but we see they used silver glitter leaves (like her shoes) and iridescent rhinestones (like her necklace) so her matching corsage should be perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter