Parents of the Class of 2019

Well, we finished the swim season, DD had a great time, they have a really good coach who makes it a great season. She also finally got through her driver's ed course and got her permit on Friday. This will be interesting! She wanted to try diving after the swim season, so she's in her 6th week with DS's team, having fun so far, maybe she'll do both swimming and diving next year, I know she want's to go back and swim again. She also was entered into the district art show by her 1st semester teacher. We didn't know for sure if she would be in, but found out she got 3rd in sculpture for the district! It was pretty cool, and a great surprise. Now to get through the end of the year!

The drivers ed saga continues, I finally heard back and the nearby school is also doing it in June so it won't work. The schools doing it end of June or July when I need it are 35 miles away. So we'll have to make a choice of either DD17 driving her that far and waiting for her, or DD14 missing out on something really important to her (Family Camp or the musical). Bummer.

Meanwhile, soccer is going alright, there are a lot of nights JV doesn't play so she's only had a couple of games. At least tonight they get to stay home from the Varsity game. Got her first real sports injury when her foot got stomped by someone's cleat so there's a little bump and bruise.

She took the ACT because her TAG teacher wanted to know how she would do. She had no preparation because we rescheduled it once and thought we'd have to cancel again but it turned out we could go so she just glanced at the book on the drive there. She got the same score as her sister (a junior) but it was mainly from a good English score. Science and math were not great, but as a freshman she hasn't encountered many of the topics yet.

The girls are counting the days till school is done! We get out 5/27.

We weren't able to get into Driver's Ed & DD could really use it :(

We weren't able to get into Driver's Ed & DD could really use it :(

That's tough! We don't have driver's ed through schools here, it's all private, so DD could go to any company and they hold classes all the time and even do on-line, which she did, and it was boring!

DS has absolutely no interest in learning how to drive. Driving him to school this AM, he said, why do I need to drive? My reply was well, I could actually get to work by 7:30 if you took your sister to school and be home with you guys in the afternoons. He said, nah, I'm good. So I don't want to force him to learn. Guess when he is ready, he will tell us.

On the plus side, we managed to get him signed up for summer school. He is going to take Health in Summer Session 1 this year and Speech in Summer Session 1 next year. His Senior year, he will have one free class period. Which he hates me right now, but he will thank me later.

My gosh, in three quick, short years, we'll be prepping for college. Where oh where did my baby boy go??

DS has absolutely no interest in learning how to drive. Driving him to school this AM, he said, why do I need to drive? My reply was well, I could actually get to work by 7:30 if you took your sister to school and be home with you guys in the afternoons. He said, nah, I'm good. So I don't want to force him to learn. Guess when he is ready, he will tell us.

On the plus side, we managed to get him signed up for summer school. He is going to take Health in Summer Session 1 this year and Speech in Summer Session 1 next year. His Senior year, he will have one free class period. Which he hates me right now, but he will thank me later.

My gosh, in three quick, short years, we'll be prepping for college. Where oh where did my baby boy go??

Yeah, that "3 years until college" is starting to sink in. This one's the baby, so a whole different ballgame. :sad:

On the driving..... thankfully this one is all over it, complete with countdown app on her phone ticking off the number of days until her birthday when she can take the test. :faint:

Our oldest delayed and delayed. I told myself I didn't want a hesitant driver on the road, so didn't push him. He ended up choosing a University he could commute from home to, but it was in the city, and not an easy drive. He got his full license 2 days before school started. SO stressful.

Driving is a life skill, one that's always better with more practice. So I hope everyone learns from my mistake and nudges them along faster when possible.

I was one of those reluctant ones. I just was not ready to drive at 16. I did learn in college and did fine, but it was years before I really enjoyed it.

DS, on use other hand, is in the counting-down camp!! I'm definitely looking forward to the flexibility it will give us.

I wouldn't push him if he didn't want to, though. I have a niece who learned, then had a minor accident (nobody was hurt) and stopped driving all together. I think she might have been better off learning later.

Last edited:
My DS won't be old enough to take driver ed until Christmas. He wants to drive now so it can't come quick enough for him. He won't be eligible to get his license until next August (2017).

He still has 6 weeks of school left. Last day is June 22. I'm hoping he can get a job this summer but it will be hard being only 15 and not able to drive.

My daughter is down to 7 days of class left. This is the earliest she has ever gotten out for the summer!

...I'm hoping he can get a job this summer but it will be hard being only 15 and not able to drive.

My DS is in the same boat. I'm debating encouraging him to apply now, before everyone is looking, but I hate to make his schedule even busier right before finals.

We get out 5/27. Less than three weeks left. She won't have time for a job this summer even if she was able to get herself to one. She has choir trip 6/4-6/9, Disney 6/11-6/17, Driver's Ed 6/20-?, Family Camp 8/7-13.

She would like to make money, but I don't think it will work out this summer. A lot of 14 year olds here detassel corn for a summer job since it only lasts 2-3 weeks and they'll hire kids that age. I think it's miserable work though. DD17 was considering it but she got another offer that's much better. DD14 hasn't mentioned wanting to do it. It could conflict with Drivers Ed- we don't know the schedule yet.

Our last day is the 20th. Seniors are finished this afternoon.

Edit: we did have 3 snow days, but they've all been made up, so no extension to the school year.

Our last day is the 26th. She took her first final yesterday (AP Human Geography) said she wasn't sure how she did. They'll take the AP test for this one next week, and have the rest of the finals next week as well. Then playing until the 26th.

Her driving is going well, she doesn't think she's a very good driver, but she really is. The only place she hasn't driven is downtown, I'm reserving that for a weekend day over the summer before I force her to do it. She's driven highways, during rush hour, pretty much everywhere. She even drove back to Denver from the Air Force Academy a few weeks ago, and did great!

She's talked about maybe looking for some sort of a job this summer, but we've also got a few trips planned as well so she doesn't have a ton of free time.

Our last day is the 20th. Seniors are finished this afternoon.

Edit: we did have 3 snow days, but they've all been made up, so no extension to the school year.

I almost forgot. We were supposed to get out on the 17th but do have to make up the World Series day. Everyone agrees it was worth it though. :)

Our last day is the 26th. She took her first final yesterday (AP Human Geography) said she wasn't sure how she did. They'll take the AP test for this one next week, and have the rest of the finals next week as well. Then playing until the 26th.

Her driving is going well, she doesn't think she's a very good driver, but she really is. The only place she hasn't driven is downtown, I'm reserving that for a weekend day over the summer before I force her to do it. She's driven highways, during rush hour, pretty much everywhere. She even drove back to Denver from the Air Force Academy a few weeks ago, and did great!

She's talked about maybe looking for some sort of a job this summer, but we've also got a few trips planned as well so she doesn't have a ton of free time.

Coming to the lake this year?

Coming to the lake this year?

Yep, I'm actually headed out in 2 weeks to wake up the condo, the boat, and the waverunner (OK, I probably won't actually go out on the waverunner, too cold!!!!!)

Then we'll be back down the last week of July and first week of August with a large gaggle of kids, 3 of Jillian's friends and 3 or 4 of Ryan's friends. That condo is going to get mighty small!!!!!!!! How about you guys? Planning on spending much of the summer on the water?

Yep, I'm actually headed out in 2 weeks to wake up the condo, the boat, and the waverunner (OK, I probably won't actually go out on the waverunner, too cold!!!!!)

Then we'll be back down the last week of July and first week of August with a large gaggle of kids, 3 of Jillian's friends and 3 or 4 of Ryan's friends. That condo is going to get mighty small!!!!!!!! How about you guys? Planning on spending much of the summer on the water?

Don't be surprised if you take it out. Boating season is WAY early this year! We've had a bunch of 80+ degree days so far & Winter was very mild. So, water temps are going to be nice a lot earlier than normal.

We don't have any specific dates planned yet. We're going to H Toads for a band June 4th, but don't plan to bring the boat. We were going to go the last weekend in July and stick around a couple days, but DW has to go back to work on the 1st (wasn't supposed to be until the 4th) :(. Just picked up a 4-person tube the other day though. Anxious to try it out!!

Don't be surprised if you take it out. Boating season is WAY early this year! We've had a bunch of 80+ degree days so far & Winter was very mild. So, water temps are going to be nice a lot earlier than normal.

We don't have any specific dates planned yet. We're going to H Toads for a band June 4th, but don't plan to bring the boat. We were going to go the last weekend in July and stick around a couple days, but DW has to go back to work on the 1st (wasn't supposed to be until the 4th) :(. Just picked up a 4-person tube the other day though. Anxious to try it out!!

We love our 4 person tube! We're looking to pick up a decent water mat for less than the $500 they seem to want for them. When we take the labrador swimming off the boat it would be much easier to just have the mat at the bottom of the swim platform and he can crawl up on the mat, then into the boat.

Enjoy Toad Cove (can't use that first word here), we'll be in DC at a bar mitzvah for a cousin, not looking forward to the humidity!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter