Parents of HS class of 2020

My son just got his first response and acceptance to UT Austin Cockrell School of Engineering. He's excited, but geographically, it is the furthest school from were we live (NYC).

My son just got his first response and acceptance to UT Austin Cockrell School of Engineering. He's excited, but geographically, it is the furthest school from were we live (NYC).
How did you find out about UT Austin so soon? My daughter applied there and when we went on the tour they said since they were comprehensive admittance that there was no early admission and no acceptances would be sent out until after the 1st of the year. Did we miss something?

On another note my daughter got her second acceptance to her #2 choice Loyola Chicago. Still waiting on the other 3 she applied to to respond. She is excited about Loyola though!

How did you find out about UT Austin so soon? My daughter applied there and when we went on the tour they said since they were comprehensive admittance that there was no early admission and no acceptances would be sent out until after the 1st of the year. Did we miss something?

On another note my daughter got her second acceptance to her #2 choice Loyola Chicago. Still waiting on the other 3 she applied to to respond. She is excited about Loyola though!

Congratulations to your daughter!

My son applied for Early acceptance to the engineering school and wasn't expecting to hear so soon, but he received an email yesterday to check his portal. He knows of a few friends who applied EA and haven't heard yet. I think it is more random and according to which major/school you applied to. He is waiting to hear from his ED school.

Congratulations to your daughter!

My son applied for Early acceptance to the engineering school and wasn't expecting to hear so soon, but he received an email yesterday to check his portal. He knows of a few friends who applied EA and haven't heard yet. I think it is more random and according to which major/school you applied to. He is waiting to hear from his ED school.
Ok, looks like they don't have early action or decision for the School of Communications where she is applying. Congrats to him on getting in. It is my daughter's #1 choice of school but is a reach school for her due to her lower GPA. Hopefully she get in too and they can meet!

My daughter received her acceptance and scholarship letters from her first choice on November 22nd. It was a big day for her. It was opening night for her school play and she was Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. She had stayed after school to prepare for the show so we didn’t even see her until after the show that night. She received a packet in the mail and we had to wait until after the show for her to open it. It was nearly midnight and I was anxious all day to see if that’s what it was. They sent a scroll that you open sideways and it reads: Marietta Bound Class of 2024. She burst into tears when she saw it. It was one heck of a great night for her! Now she’s just waiting to see what scholarship offers she might get from two of the other schools she applied to. She decided to not bother applying to a few of the others once she knew she got into her first choice since they were much further down on her list.
Good luck to everyone’s kids!!!

My daughter received her acceptance and scholarship letters from her first choice on November 22nd. It was a big day for her. It was opening night for her school play and she was Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. She had stayed after school to prepare for the show so we didn’t even see her until after the show that night. She received a packet in the mail and we had to wait until after the show for her to open it. It was nearly midnight and I was anxious all day to see if that’s what it was. They sent a scroll that you open sideways and it reads: Marietta Bound Class of 2024. She burst into tears when she saw it. It was one heck of a great night for her! Now she’s just waiting to see what scholarship offers she might get from two of the other schools she applied to. She decided to not bother applying to a few of the others once she knew she got into her first choice since they were much further down on her list.
Good luck to everyone’s kids!!!

That really sounds like it was an incredible night for your daughter. Congratulations on her acceptance and the play!

That really sounds like it was an incredible night for your daughter. Congratulations on her acceptance and the play!
Thank you. She got some more good news today. She was accepted into the Leadership Program which includes some sort of scholarship. I don’t think it’s too much, but every little bit helps! She’ll have to report to school August 9th, a week before classes start for the Leadership conference week. It’ll give her a chance to get to know even more kids before school starts.

Thank you. She got some more good news today. She was accepted into the Leadership Program which includes some sort of scholarship. I don’t think it’s too much, but every little bit helps! She’ll have to report to school August 9th, a week before classes start for the Leadership conference week. It’ll give her a chance to get to know even more kids before school starts.
That's fantastic! Congrats to her for her hard work! (and the supportive parents behind her :))

My DD applied to 10 schools.She wanted options Lol. We heard back from 5 all accepted with merit money. She really likes a school in Florida and one in NY. One is 17 hours away one is less than 2. She is still waiting on her original top choice too. It is an exciting time but making a decision is tough.Hope all our seniors have magical acceptances!

As of 9:30p tonight my Daughter has officially one 1 school left to apply to which is an extremely Reach school due in January. Trying to weave scholarship applications in between all the applications, her school work, volunteer work and now her new job has been hard but I will be happy to finally shift gears to that next. So far all her responses have been yes most with scholarships she's waiting on 2 schools that were in her top choices for a response. She did get accepted to one of her top choices and we are waiting to see if she got into the Honors college for the university in our town that's accepted her suprisingly with the most money out of all the schools so far. She's really happy at this point with her acceptances so there's that. Counting down to March when we get to enjoy our next trip to Disney to relax and celebrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlk
So far my DD has only applied to one college- and it's her safety school and the only one that does not require a portfolio. Another 4 schools have a Jan 15 deadline and she plans on submitting to those over Christmas break. Two more are due in mid-March. Lots of artwork being done right now to make sure her portfolio is the best it can be. I just want this whole process to be done and over with- its' extremely stressful!!

DD applied to 4 schools and hasn’t heard back yet on any. She’s getting stressed because all her friends seem to be getting in to schools but they have applied to many and still haven’t heard from quite a few. Trying to get her to apply to a few more over break so she can have more options but she says she’d only go to these 4.

DD applied to 4 schools and hasn’t heard back yet on any. She’s getting stressed because all her friends seem to be getting in to schools but they have applied to many and still haven’t heard from quite a few. Trying to get her to apply to a few more over break so she can have more options but she says she’d only go to these 4.
My daughter applied to a lot and haven't heard from more then half of them. I went on their website and looked up when decisions are sent some don't start sending anything till January or even as late as March even for Early action!

Last edited:

When you are waiting to hear from schools that don't release their decisions early, it can make you anxious when other people are posting about all the early acceptances. It sounds like your daughter is confident in her choices and will be hearing about her acceptances very soon. Good luck!

Well kiddo got into one of her top schools at University of Minnesota. Acceptance rate ~53%. Now to see if money follows :rolleyes1
That’s almost harder- when they get into their dream school on early admission but having to wait months for the financial aid info to see if they can actually attend their dream school.

Dd officially committed to Marietta College. The lacrosse coach was ecstatic and immediately sent texts out to the team. Dd started getting messages from her new teammates within minutes. Such a great group of kids. We’ll be visiting the school next weekend so she can audition for a talent scholarship that is open to non performance majors. If you’ve got a little extra, please send some pixie dust her way.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter