Parents of HS class of 2020

College application list was finalized last night. :yay: Fasfa has been started DD and her dad will finalize. Majority of my DDs applications are due November 1st since she's doing Early Action and scholorship applications. Plus now that she's changed her major to nursing apparently it's highly competitive so she has to apply early. Lots of late nights so far but good progress.

She's decided she doesn't want to go any farther then 4 hours away so she can come home on weekends according to her to keep me company :D. She was shocked that it meant most of the college were in NJ 😂😂. She's been very vocal about going out of state for college.

College application list was finalized last night. :yay: Fasfa has been started DD and her dad will finalize. Majority of my DDs applications are due November 1st since she's doing Early Action and scholorship applications. Plus now that she's changed her major to nursing apparently it's highly competitive so she has to apply early. Lots of late nights so far but good progress.

She's decided she doesn't want to go any farther then 4 hours away so she can come home on weekends according to her to keep me company :D. She was shocked that it meant most of the college were in NJ 😂😂. She's been very vocal about going out of state for college.
My daughter(class of 2018) is a sophomore nursing student. Originally she wanted to go out of state as well, but ended up staying in NJ, 1/2 an hour from home. Great nursing program, very high NCLEX pass rate, she lives at school and absolutely loves it. Comes home way less than one would think, busy at school, but can pop in whenever, which is nice.

As for my senior son...still waiting in him to decide where he wants to apply. Lol. At least he has his essay written...

My daughter(class of 2018) is a sophomore nursing student. Originally she wanted to go out of state as well, but ended up staying in NJ, 1/2 an hour from home. Great nursing program, very high NCLEX pass rate, she lives at school and absolutely loves it. Comes home way less than one would think, busy at school, but can pop in whenever, which is nice.

As for my senior son...still waiting in him to decide where he wants to apply. Lol. At least he has his essay written...

Oh cool can you tell me which program (PM Me if you want). Her thing is she wants to go away and she feels like if does stay in NJ she might as well stay home and commute and save the money. Especially since the closest university and community college have amazing nursing programs. She's basically applying to NJ schools as back up in case the money doesn't come through to go out of state.

Looks like I'm joining this group! DD is only a junior, but has applied for early graduation next spring. We don't have confirmation in writing yet, but the super's office told her counselor yesterday that it was approved. So I guess she is now a "graduating junior". She already knows where she wants to go to college next fall, just have to finish filling out and submitting the application. She has a late summer birthday, so will actually be starting college at 16. Eeek!

Looks like I'm joining this group! DD is only a junior, but has applied for early graduation next spring. We don't have confirmation in writing yet, but the super's office told her counselor yesterday that it was approved. So I guess she is now a "graduating junior". She already knows where she wants to go to college next fall, just have to finish filling out and submitting the application. She has a late summer birthday, so will actually be starting college at 16. Eeek!
That's awesome my daughter technically had enough to graduate last year but They are required to do physical education every year.

Wow! Good for her! Congratulations!
My dd has narrowed her list of schools down to five. After visiting a few more schools, her #1 is Marietta in Ohio. 9 hours away!:worried:

Oh cool can you tell me which program (PM Me if you want). Her thing is she wants to go away and she feels like if does stay in NJ she might as well stay home and commute and save the money. Especially since the closest university and community college have amazing nursing programs. She's basically applying to NJ schools as back up in case the money doesn't come through to go out of state.
She goes to Ramapo. She got a merit scholarship that pays almost all her tuition, so she pays room and board. She could have commuted, and a lot of people do, but she really wanted to live on campus.

She goes to Ramapo. She got a merit scholarship that pays almost all her tuition, so she pays room and board. She could have commuted, and a lot of people do, but she really wanted to live on campus.
Awesome Ramapo is about 20 minutes from us and on her apply list. Definitely let her know this information. I know a few people who go to Ramapo but they have all commuted and no one is in the nursing programs.

Thanks so much!

That's awesome my daughter technically had enough to graduate last year but They are required to do physical education every year.

Wow, that's a lot of PE. Our district requires 3 semesters, plus one semester of health. She actually only took 2 semesters of PE, but was given independent study credit for the third semester based on some extracurriculars she had done. I would never have thought to ask for that, but it was offered by her school counselor, so we certainly weren't going to turn it down!

Wow! Good for her! Congratulations!
My dd has narrowed her list of schools down to five. After visiting a few more schools, her #1 is Marietta in Ohio. 9 hours away!:worried:

9 hours is getting up there, but it would be a great experience I'm sure! I think Marietta was at a college fair we went to recently, but we didn't stop by their booth because it had a long line. She is pretty set on going to Johnson & Wales in Denver. We only live about 30 minutes away, but she'll still live on campus. She did look at some farther away - mostly Alaska and Canada! But JWU is such a good fit for her that nothing seemed worth the distance.

Wow, that's a lot of PE. Our district requires 3 semesters, plus one semester of health. She actually only took 2 semesters of PE, but was given independent study credit for the third semester based on some extracurriculars she had done. I would never have thought to ask for that, but it was offered by her school counselor, so we certainly weren't going to turn it down!

9 hours is getting up there, but it would be a great experience I'm sure! I think Marietta was at a college fair we went to recently, but we didn't stop by their booth because it had a long line. She is pretty set on going to Johnson & Wales in Denver. We only live about 30 minutes away, but she'll still live on campus. She did look at some farther away - mostly Alaska and Canada! But JWU is such a good fit for her that nothing seemed worth the distance.

I know everyone hates it. It's a lot. We also do 3 years of health and 1 year drivers ed that replaces 1 semester of PE. And I think she had 1 year of English (language arts) left too. She doubled up on math freshmen year so she had her 4 years done. She wanted to do a independent study in Japanese this year but after her counselor gave her some pushback she decided to just take a study hall and study Japanese as a minor in colleges so she can study abroad. They make it really difficult sometimes if you want to go off the normal path where we are.

DD worked on submissions this past weekend. She has a few more to do which will be finished up this coming weekend...all that is left is a few supplemental questions. How many is everyone applying to? We're almost to the waiting phase as well.

So DD submitted all applications over the last week, including essays and other supplements. Now all we can do is wait.
DD worked on submissions this past weekend. She has a few more to do which will be finished up this coming weekend...all that is left is a few supplemental questions. How many is everyone applying to? We're almost to the waiting phase as well.

DD submitted hers last week as well. A total of 5 I think, but only one that she actually cares about. The admissions officer there assured her at our tour that she would get in, but it will feel better to have that in writing, lol! They start sending out acceptance notifications 11/15, so it's gonna be a long few weeks...

My daughter has completed 2 applications, still working on 4 more.....but has been accepted into Ball State already (the ONLY in state school she applied to). Her first choice college is UT Austin, and even after she applies she won't know until late winter/early spring if she was accepted or not. It's gonna be a lonnnnnnnngggggg winter, but it feels good to know she at least has one acceptance and will be going somewhere next fall!

My daughter is applying to a lot of college. She knows what she wants to do but not where she has some target schools based on her visits but it will come down to financial aid.

Update 1st of application went out in the 1st and the 5th. My daughter already got accepted to a college with a scholarship so that's good. 2nd set got out next week. Hopefully not too many more sleepless nights left lol

Yeah apps out and she got her first acceptance (well technically I guess it is her 2nd as she has been doing dual credit at local state university for 2 years) last week. She just released her transcripts and ACT scores to schools so hoping we also start getting some scholarship information.

Update here. DD got 3 acceptances so far, but a lot of the schools we won't hear until Jan/Feb which is tough! Did already get scholarships for 2 of the 3 as well, so those are looking good right now. Good luck to everyone!

Hello all,

I have twin daughters graduating in May 2020. We did the preliminary college tours during Spring and Summer Breaks. They each applied to 9 colleges (some same, some different.) DD1 got accepted to all 9. DD2 got accepted to 8 and is waiting to hear back on one more.

We will be revisiting the colleges during Admitted Student days. We will also be scrutinizing our Financial Aid packets when they start coming in. Each of them have received invitations for additional scholarship competitions from some of the colleges so we will be attending those.

Fortunately, all but one college are within a 2 hour drive from home. The farthest college is under 4 hours away so revisits will be doable.

Good Luck to all!!

Jody

Joining in....my dd, my youngest, is the class of 2020. She just got her drivers license last month. But things are moving fast, she applied to and was accepted to the one college she was interested in and we did a dance audition so she could be a dance minor and got accepted for that as well. Can't believe senior is actually here for her. We are going to WDW for her graduation, she chose not to walk and will meet Mickey instead!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!