Paradise Cove Luau

mecanterbruy

Mouseketeer
My DW and I are planning a trip to Aulani and would like to do a traditional Luau (if it really even still exists! Would still attend anyway!). I have seen Paradise Cove referenced in several posts, but nothing or really reporting on the Luau (sorry if I missed it, the search function didn't show). Can anyone help? We looked at their website and there are three different types, Escalating in price for each one. Info Please???

My wife and I attended a luau at Paradise Cove in 2004. Don't remember the pricing structure, but I'm sure we just did the basic meal and show with access to the village and pre-show.

We enjoyed the little village area near the stage and cooking the pig demostration. The food and show are typical of what you would expect with a large crowd. I've also been to the luau at the Polnesian Resort at WDW recently and the performances/food were comparable.

At the time, the Paradise Cove luau was highly rated on Trip Advisor and was worth the expense, especially if you haven't been to one before.

Having been to all the major luaus on Oahu, Paradise Cove is the ONLY one worth going to! We had the deluxe package because we got a really great deal on it (military) & because we wanted the photo & free drinks. It was unlimited drinks when we were there, although we each only had 2 I think. The table service was nice because you didn't have to fight the crowds & they brought you more of whatever you wanted. Also, you are on a platform level with the performers so you have an unobstructed view. However, you are also behind all the tables of people and therefore quite a ways from the stage. I would recommend either the orchid or deluxe package because you don't want to be stuck on the sides of the stage.
Oh, and Paradise Cove is just down the street from Au'lani.

Have not been to Paradise Cove, but wish I had done that rather than the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center. That was the worse thing anyone can even imagine.
If you go to the Cultural Center I would suggest you do things ala carte...go visit the villaiges and take in the activities, do see the Ha Breath of Life show but SKIP THE LUAU!

It looks like the difference in the levels is where you sit. Also, the top teir is table service versus a buffet. We chose the lowest level. We're going early June. There is a coupon in the entertainment book.

I just went last month -- we had the lowest tier package. (I would have gotten highest but my friends didn't want to). There are approximately 1,000 people at each luau.

We were on one of the side "wings" but had a pretty good view anyway. The food was ok, but not spectacular. Kahlua pork, fried chicken, some type of baked fish, rice, salads, some fruit. Three or four different dessert options (none of which I cared for). The drink coupons were for pretty basic stuff--we paid extra $ to upgrade them to Mai Tai's.

The pre-dinner/show events were fun--some arts and crafts, a guy climbing a coconut tree, the hauling in of the nets, bringing up the roasted pig from the underground oven, etc. You are packed in the tables pretty tight and the buffet is not exactly close to where you are seated.

The show was pretty much what you would expect--dances and songs from the various cultures. Very pretty. The setting is lovely. Having not been to one of the other luaus on the island don't know if it's better or worse than the others--I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't overwhelmed either. I also think I would have had a better time if I had been with people who were more "in" to the whole experience.

I did wish the crowd was smaller--it's hard to get an intimate laua experience with 1,000 other people! I also thought their service people were a bit overwhelmed --- we were told we could order drinks from the table but could never find a server!

Again--I would have paid the extra $$ to either be in the front or on the raised platform at the back and get served. It would have been worth it to me.

My DW and I are planning a trip to Aulani and would like to do a traditional Luau (if it really even still exists! Would still attend anyway!). I have seen Paradise Cove referenced in several posts, but nothing or really reporting on the Luau (sorry if I missed it, the search function didn't show). Can anyone help? We looked at their website and there are three different types, Escalating in price for each one. Info Please???
We haven't done PC but have Germaine's. Looking at reviews it looks like Germaines is generally preferred but neither that well thought off. I know you said you were looking at a traditional Luau but I'll give you another option. The Polynesian Cult Center does a traditional luau meal and a great but separate show. The entertainment book should have 25% off for each Luau and a buy one get one for the regular admission part for the PCC which they'll apply toward the cost of a package.

My wife and I did the Paradise Luau this past February during a visit to Aulani. If you've never done one before and this is your only opportunity during the trip, then I would try it.

Our experience was a little disapointing compared to other Luau's we've done in the past. The food was just ok and the drinks were overpriced (even for Hawaii).

If you do have plans to go to Maui, I would highly recommend doing the Old Lahaina Luau instead. We attended this one 2-3 years ago and it was much better all around... Food, Show and Drinks.

I did Paradise cove on my very first trip to Hawaii about 25 years ago. Went again this past February. It's still my favorite (done one on the Big Island and one on Maui).
I got the top tier package and used the entertainment book coupono to save 25%. There were three in our party, so we saved almost $75 total. We got three drink tickets (love my mai tai's :)) plus the souvenir photo (which I think is about $13 if you have to buy it). We sat at the first tables by the stage and had table service. Food is okay (love the pig).
The activities beforehand are fun (although I'm a terrible spear thrower and lei maker).

I don't go to the luau every trip, usually if I'm there with someone who's never been before. Plus, if staying at Aulani, you can walk to and from Paradise Cove (I think I liked that the best. I always hated the bus ride back to Waikiki after the luau).

Terri

My DH and I went to Paradise Cove about five years ago. We did the most expensive package and had a good view of the show/stage. A woman working at the "lei" table made me a beautiful (and fragrant) crown lei for my hair and we had fun walking around through the various craft areas. At one area a gorgeous bird flew over and landed on my husbands wrist LOL! The location is beautiful:love:, and the show was very entertaining:thumbsup2 but the food was pretty bland:sad2:. The portions were also very small. The drinks were great though LOL and I had my first Pina Colava there!

Did you book your tickets ahead of time or just a few days before? If it rains, is the dining and stage covered so there would still be a show?

And by the way, the Entertaiment books are half off with free shipping today. I just ordered one.

Another option for a luau is the Fia FIa show at Marriott's Ko Olina TS, practically next door to Aulani.

It's much smaller...200 people, not 1000...better food and a fabulous show. The lead performer is awesome, I hear.

The downside is it is only held one night a week, but it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. We will be checking it out when we go in June.

Originally we had tickets for Germaine's luau but decided to switch to Paradise Cove after taking a drive to see what Germaine's looked like. We just didn't like the area surrounding Germaine's...it was kind of industrial looking. We checked with the concierge at J.W. Marriott at Ko Olina (where we were staying) and purchased our tickets the afternoon before our show. It was nice because the luau was within walking distance of J.W. Marriott.

We haven't done PC but have Germaine's. Looking at reviews it looks like Germaines is generally preferred but neither that well thought off. I know you said you were looking at a traditional Luau but I'll give you another option. The Polynesian Cult Center does a traditional luau meal and a great but separate show. The entertainment book should have 25% off for each Luau and a buy one get one for the regular admission part for the PCC which they'll apply toward the cost of a package.

Based on research we went to Germaine's too on our just completed trip. Currently, DVC members can get a deal with kids going free with each paid adult. We picked up the tickets at the travel desk (Holoholo Tours) in Aulani.

The food was just ok (except the Kalua Pig which was pretty good) and the show was ok to good too. Aulani's show is much much better. Germaine's did not come close to the magnificant Luau we went to on Maui (Old Lahaina Luau).

Based on research we went to Germaine's too on our just completed trip. Currently, DVC members can get a deal with kids going free with each paid adult. We picked up the tickets at the travel desk (Holoholo Tours) in Aulani.

The food was just ok (except the Kalua Pig which was pretty good) and the show was ok to good too. Aulani's show is much much better. Germaine's did not come close to the magnificant Luau we went to on Maui (Old Lahaina Luau).
Old Lahaina is the gold standard and I don't think I've ever seen it discounted other than maybe to locals and military. MOST of the Luau shows are actually done by the same theatrical company so there often isn't much difference in the shows themselves. In general I think the Luaus on Oahu are subpar compared to the rest though hard to say much about the newer ones in the Ko'Olina area. I remain convinced that the best option for most people is the PCC combo. Better show, better food and better view. No alcohol and it's not the typical luau experience that you see on TV though. Another to consider on Maui is the Feast at Lele, also not typical but very good from what I'm told. On a side note, for anyone going to Maui, the Warren and Annabelle's show is not to be missed. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen, esp if you can get Warren himself.

For those that like acoustical music in the style of JT, Fogelberg or Gordon Lightfoot; I have a friend (more of an acquaintance) who plays a few nights at week at Hy's steakhouse. He's really very talented and has a fair amount of his own work as well. It's a very expensive place (great though) so sometimes we just get something light in the bar which is good because that's where he's stationed. They do have regular tables in that area as well for those interested in both.

We did the Feast at Lele, and really enjoyed that (the classic Lahaina Luau was soldout). It was expensive, but a wonderful experience. Maui is amazing.

We also did the luau at the PCC -- poi was there and some traditional pickled fish (like cerviche). The dancing felt long -- we come from the East Coast and weren't completely on Hawaiian time. I strongly recommend the PCC, especially with coupons from the Entertainment book.

We're at Aulani ATM, and have just walked in the door from a full "tourist" day.

If anyone purchases the 3, 5, or 7 day Go Oahu card, then I highly, highly recommend doing Kualoa Ranch Sunset experience instead of one of the luaus mentioned. It was a fabulous experience today, and definitely value for money. Authentic Hawaiian interactive show, with traditional hula, story-telling, and instruments.

We also did the movie tour, and the jungle tour - a wonderful afternoon / evening, and so much more intimate.

Also a big thumbs up for Disney's Starlit Hui. Between the two shows, we feel like we've had the best of modern and traditional.

Cheers,
Sally :)

We purchased the Entertainment book for the "Paradise Cove" and did the highest package. The package comes with in seat wait service (don't forget to tip), 2 deluxe drink coupons and 2 regular. Our seat was too close, the first seat to the side of the stage.

We just took a short stroll from Aulani instead of taking the car.

Another option for a luau is the Fia FIa show at Marriott's Ko Olina TS, practically next door to Aulani.

It's much smaller...200 people, not 1000...better food and a fabulous show. The lead performer is awesome, I hear.

The downside is it is only held one night a week, but it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. We will be checking it out when we go in June.

The Fia Fia performers are starting a show at Sea life park. It was on living social for $50 for premiem package. They have a show twice a week.

We went to Fia Fia at the marriott just down from Aulani
It is a smaller crowd and an excellent show

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter