Pandora opening- what are they working on?

Not I but I don't think the upcoming sequels will have much impact on the immediate success of Pandora.
i think Pandora might create a renewed interest in the original movie which will help with the sequels.

Avatar's success was realized in its groundbreaking cinematography/GG/3D. It's commonplace now so the sequels have quite large shoes to fill. Although nostalgia (on a smaller scale than SW) will also drive people to see the movies.

I think after Pandora opens, there'll be an increase in Avatar BD/DVD sales in prep for the sequels.

A small sample, but many people here at work have heard of Pandora via the recent uptick in advertisement. But not many know of 4 sequels being produced.

I still don't see it as a 'destination', an entire reason to visit WDW, unlike say Wizarding World of Harry Potter, as I don't think Avatar has such a cult following.
Although the 2 lands are similar in execution. i,e taking an existing story/movie/book (ala Harry Potter) and movie (Avatar) and replicating it in real life.
The one difference is Pandora is set after the movies, so WDW has more freedom in portrayal and story. Cost-wise, WDW invested almost 3 times as much in Pandora than Universal did for WWHP, for a much smaller franchise.

I hope it works out for them. It looks pretty cool, but is that enough to draw sustaining crowds until SWL is finished?
this is what i like about this land, they had a little bit of creative freedom to branch off so to speak, same with Star Wars land

and to be honest the comparisons to HP are getting old to me. it doesnt have to be HP to be a very successful land. Im thinking it will equal or surpass Carsland in terms of raw attendance. If this land gives DAk a 15-20% bump in attendance i would consider that a success

I find that a bit harsh. I don't see how this doesn't make it a full day park. Personally I felt even before Pandora I could spend a full day there.

Allow me to explain myself: Animal Kingdom is in essence a big zoo with rides. I live near Memphis and we have one of the best zoos in the world here, and we are members. We go all the time. There is nothing at AK that I can't see presented better in Memphis. (I suppose the only exception is the elephant enclosure; and that's the next project at the Memphis Zoo.) So, when I'm at AK, we look at the animals some, but of course the attractions are #1 - then it's on to things that we can't do at home. So, we can knock out Everest, the Safari, Dino-land and Tough to be a Bug pretty quickly. I'm glad they've added Pandora and the nighttime show (especially the show). Hopefully it will bring a little more creativity and imagination to a park that has been lacking that. My only regret is that the new land should have been themed around Tarzan or Indiana Jones or some other IP. Avatar just has no attraction to me. Zero.

Allow me to explain myself: Animal Kingdom is in essence a big zoo with rides. I live near Memphis and we have one of the best zoos in the world here, and we are members. We go all the time. There is nothing at AK that I can't see presented better in Memphis. (I suppose the only exception is the elephant enclosure; and that's the next project at the Memphis Zoo.) So, when I'm at AK, we look at the animals some, but of course the attractions are #1 - then it's on to things that we can't do at home. So, we can knock out Everest, the Safari, Dino-land and Tough to be a Bug pretty quickly. I'm glad they've added Pandora and the nighttime show (especially the show). Hopefully it will bring a little more creativity and imagination to a park that has been lacking that. My only regret is that the new land should have been themed around Tarzan or Indiana Jones or some other IP. Avatar just has no attraction to me. Zero.
Understandable but I don't think you need to like the movie to like a themed land. The land takes place long after the movie. I'm under the assumption that if the attractions are good it doesn't matter so much what the movie is.

Understandable but I don't think you need to like the movie to like a themed land. The land takes place long after the movie. I'm under the assumption that if the attractions are good it doesn't matter so much what the movie is.

I agree 100% that you need not like a movie to like a ride or land based on a movie. However, I see two reasons for this investment. 1) Something fresh for regular vistors 2) and more importantly make someone plan a trip who otherwise would not. Make them say WOW I want to see that? I saw one commercial on TV and it was pretty cool looking.

Star wars will make people plan a trip who otherwise wouldn't I have no doubt in that. Will Avatar? If Avatar does not do well what does that do to the budgets of other projects? Or if I am wrong (I hope I am) if it does do well what does that do to the budgets of other projects?

I agree 100% that you need not like a movie to like a ride or land based on a movie. However, I see two reasons for this investment. 1) Something fresh for regular vistors 2) and more importantly make someone plan a trip who otherwise would not. Make them say WOW I want to see that? I saw one commercial on TV and it was pretty cool looking.

Star wars will make people plan a trip who otherwise wouldn't I have no doubt in that. Will Avatar? If Avatar does not do well what does that do to the budgets of other projects? Or if I am wrong (I hope I am) if it does do well what does that do to the budgets of other projects?
what if we brought Mysterious Island to DAK do you think it would ve been successful?

What do you mean?

Here's to hoping for a soft opening! We will be in WDW 5-9/5-16.
we usually visit AK, a few times for half days/evenings. So perhaps we will stumble upon a little something!

what if we brought Mysterious Island to DAK do you think it would ve been successful?

I doubt it. But I was having a conversation with two others a couple weeks ago. When I mentioned avatar land they said almost simultaneously "but that's so old". No one says that about star wars or toy story or Cinderella or Mozart. Why? because they have staying power. I was not a fan of the movie, but I am looking forward to seeing this land. But does the movie have a draw to people to make them plan a trip they otherwise wouldn't.

I offer the forest moon of Endor or Australia as alternates that would have staying power and be things you could advertise the heck out of.

Overhead pictures don't really allow a good sense of scale. At first look, it looks like the pathways are fairly small. It could just be perspective. I suspect it will be quite crowded on initial opening.

I doubt it. But I was having a conversation with two others a couple weeks ago. When I mentioned avatar land they said almost simultaneously "but that's so old". No one says that about star wars or toy story or Cinderella or Mozart. Why? because they have staying power. I was not a fan of the movie, but I am looking forward to seeing this land. But does the movie have a draw to people to make them plan a trip they otherwise wouldn't.

I offer the forest moon of Endor or Australia as alternates that would have staying power and be things you could advertise the heck out of.
endor has nothing to do with DAK
this is a much better fit
4 movies coming out
top grossing film of all time so someone liked it
Toy Story land sucks in every park across the world thats its in
i underlined the most important part, the answer is no, quality always wins out, if its good people will show up in droves

EDIT: reason why i picked MI is because this land is widely considered the best land WDI has made yet is loosley based off a terrible IP

Last edited:

I've never been to the Memphis zoo so I can't comment on that but have been to a number of top zoos and Animal Kingdom just seems so different than a zoo to me. I could spend hours just wandering around and taking in the details in the architecture and the tree of life. Our last trip one of my favorite things was getting an adult beverage and wandering and enjoying the street performers and stuff like that. In a lot of ways I think AK has the most "creativity and imagination" of any of the Disney parks so I guess I just find it interesting that you see the park so differently than I do

I think I could not do any attractions there and still spend an entire day there. And you didn't mention either of the regular shows and I think Festival of the Lion King is the best show on property.

Guess it just goes to show there are lots of ways to enjoy Disney

I think perspective changes whether you are touring with Children or not.

My wife and I fantasize about touring AK, and World Showcase and the boardwalk, with no cares, taking in all the details.....reality thus far is that with our young son, we tend to do more commando touring, maximizing in attractions(or their lines).
I love animal kingdom, but have yet to give it the time it deserves.

I think perspective changes whether you are touring with Children or not.

My wife and I fantasize about touring AK, and World Showcase and the boardwalk, with no cares, taking in all the details.....reality thus far is that with our young son, we tend to do more commando touring, maximizing in attractions(or their lines).
I love animal kingdom, but have yet to give it the time it deserves.

Very well said. Now the kids are older and we (and they) can do exactly that.

There is so much more to WDW.

Same thing will happen at Pandora for example. Great exploring and detail with FP+ for when/if we want to try the new rides. Looks like some interesting food and drinks there as well.

Having FP+ waiting for a few favorites as well with no worries-wonderful touring.

Very well said. Now the kids are older and we (and they) can do exactly that.

There is so much more to WDW.

Same thing will happen at Pandora for example. Great exploring and detail with FP+ for when/if we want to try the new rides. Looks like some interesting food and drinks there as well.

Having FP+ waiting for a few favorites as well with no worries-wonderful touring.
So at watch age did the kids get to, where you were able to slow down and enjoy the detail?
Wife and I have contemplated a trip without our son,....but find it hard to justify, and he'd probably be heart broken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter