• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pandora opening- what are they working on?

I've never been to the Memphis zoo so I can't comment on that but have been to a number of top zoos and Animal Kingdom just seems so different than a zoo to me. I could spend hours just wandering around and taking in the details in the architecture and the tree of life. Our last trip one of my favorite things was getting an adult beverage and wandering and enjoying the street performers and stuff like that. In a lot of ways I think AK has the most "creativity and imagination" of any of the Disney parks so I guess I just find it interesting that you see the park so differently than I do

I think I could not do any attractions there and still spend an entire day there. And you didn't mention either of the regular shows and I think Festival of the Lion King is the best show on property.

Guess it just goes to show there are lots of ways to enjoy Disney

Yes - the design of the parks is the best thing about Disney. I could spend hours walking up and down Main Street, checking out the little details and people watching. That's true in most of the parks, and also at Animal Kingdom (although I'd say it's the least of the four at WDW in that regard). I agree with that absolutely. The Memphis Zoo is a city zoo. It doesn't have near the footprint of a place like Animal Kingdom or the North Carolina Zoo - but everything there is top notch. Several of the exhibits (Northwest Passage, Zambezi River Hippo Camp, China & Once Upon a Farm) are on Disney's level of quality, albeit much smaller.

I'm not a big frequenter of the shows at any of the parks, other than the dinner theatre situations. I've seen FotLK, and didn't much care for it. I understand that lots of folks enjoy it, however. My MiL thinks it's great.

I think perspective changes whether you are touring with Children or not.

My wife and I fantasize about touring AK, and World Showcase and the boardwalk, with no cares, taking in all the details.....reality thus far is that with our young son, we tend to do more commando touring, maximizing in attractions(or their lines).
I love animal kingdom, but have yet to give it the time it deserves.

+1. This is truly what sets WDW apart.

Coming from Northeast just love the raw beauty, wildlife, plants, entertainment, etc so can't agree AK is a zoo like any other. Think Pandora is perfect for AK and for those who haven't seen movie, I'm sure they will. I think will be our fav park. The movie has underlying message of respecting and caring for our planet, what could be more perfect. Excited for this new land. Didn't know anything about Pandora until just recently so praying for soft opening when are there end April! :sunny:

Not sure why I was thinking about this (maybe with the hurricane and closures last year), but anyway...

After watching the TV specials on Pandora (The View, etc) I was thinking that while it looked really cool, the land seems delicate. I wonder how strong a storm it can withstand before major repairs would be needed.

Not sure why I was thinking about this (maybe with the hurricane and closures last year), but anyway...

After watching the TV specials on Pandora (The View, etc) I was thinking that while it looked really cool, the land seems delicate. I wonder how strong a storm it can withstand before major repairs would be needed.
Ooh that's a really good question actually. I wondered that with potter actually

So at watch age did the kids get to, where you were able to slow down and enjoy the detail?
Wife and I have contemplated a trip without our son,....but find it hard to justify, and he'd probably be heart broken.

What we did was as soon as the kids are old enough to navigate the disney bubble on their own, let them bring a friend, and we are free to go. Your decision on the age.

I am possibly asking one of those "you should know this" questions, but...

We have a vacation planned 8-14 May. Is there any hope that there would be "soft" opening possiblities for Pandora attractions?

Universal does this some, does WDW??

Signed,
Wishful thinking... lol

We have a vacation planned 8-14 May. Is there any hope that there would be "soft" opening possiblities for Pandora attractions?

Signed,
Wishful thinking... lol
There will be CM previews during that time and the start of AP/DVC previews. So there is a chance but it might be slim.

will be I AK on May 17 any suggestions on how we might be 'invited to a soft opening' ? appreciate ANY feedback

will be I AK on May 17 any suggestions on how we might be 'invited to a soft opening' ? appreciate ANY feedback
General guest soft openings are generally random and luck. So you don't really get invited unless you are DVC or AP.

Long shot, but probably the best way to find out is through social media. I'm not sure who you would want to follow, but I would guess any hint of a possible soft preview would spread quickly.

endor has nothing to do with DAK
this is a much better fit
4 movies coming out
top grossing film of all time so someone liked it
Toy Story land sucks in every park across the world thats its in
i underlined the most important part, the answer is no, quality always wins out, if its good people will show up in droves

EDIT: reason why i picked MI is because this land is widely considered the best land WDI has made yet is loosley based off a terrible IP

Just saw this response sorry.

How is a mythical planet better than a mythical moon? Plus Star wars has a following, probably at the Garteful Dead level. Does avatar?
We'll see when they come out.
10 Years ago people liked it, people don't talk about it too much these days. Was it the story line or the special effects that drew the crowds for Avatar? I don't know.
Never been don't know
Quality does not always win out in our Wal mart culture.

I am looking forward to seeing the new land, I'm just scared it will not produce the expected bump in attendance and doom all future projects.

How is a mythical planet better than a mythical moon? Plus Star wars has a following, probably at the Garteful Dead level. Does avatar?
10 Years ago people liked it, people don't talk about it too much these days. Was it the story line or the special effects that drew the crowds for Avatar? I don't know.
Never been don't know

I am looking forward to seeing the new land, I'm just scared it will not produce the expected bump in attendance and doom all future projects.
thanks for the response
but allow me to reply
Avatar doesnt have to be star wars to be successful
Avatar themes in conservation and living in nature are core principles of DAK
if you build a theme park with just star wars and i build a theme park with star wars, avatar, frozen, and marvel i will draw more people (diversity in property is a good thing) we already have essentially a Star wars park
the movie came out 7 years ago not 10
if only the effects were the cause for its success why is it the top grossing blue ray of all time (beating Force Awakens)
Quality wins out in theme parks (TOT, Splash Mountain, JTTCOTE are considered weak IPs but are considered some of Disneys best work and most popular lands/attractions meanwhile Star Tours is the 4th best ride per TPI in DHS)
Star Wars is the ultimate IP glad they are finally building it but lets keep it at DHS

Never been don't know

I'm hoping it doesn't so we can see it without crowds.

thanks for the response
but allow me to reply
Avatar doesnt have to be star wars to be successful
Avatar themes in conservation and living in nature are core principles of DAK
if you build a theme park with just star wars and i build a theme park with star wars, avatar, frozen, and marvel i will draw more people (diversity in property is a good thing) we already have essentially a Star wars park
the movie came out 7 years ago not 10
if only the effects were the cause for its success why is it the top grossing blue ray of all time (beating Force Awakens)
Quality wins out in theme parks (TOT, Splash Mountain, JTTCOTE are considered weak IPs but are considered some of Disneys best work and most popular lands/attractions meanwhile Star Tours is the 4th best ride per TPI in DHS)
Star Wars is the ultimate IP glad they are finally building it but lets keep it at DHS

A lot of people may like avatar, hence driving sales of the blue ray, but what level of passion is there for it? I truly believe they are expecting avatar to increase attendance at WDW (not just AK) I don't believe Avatar has the passionate following to make anyone plan a trip that wouldn't be otherwise. Will it increase AK turnstile clicks probably, I think those will be people not visiting other themeparks who are already planning on being there. At best it may make someone forgo a day trip to universal.

A lot of people may like avatar, hence driving sales of the blue ray, but what level of passion is there for it? I truly believe they are expecting avatar to increase attendance at WDW (not just AK) I don't believe Avatar has the passionate following to make anyone plan a trip that wouldn't be otherwise. Will it increase AK turnstile clicks probably, I think those will be people not visiting other themeparks who are already planning on being there. At best it may make someone forgo a day trip to universal.

OldsDr completely disagree. I think Avatar is a movie with a very deep message that many people are wanting right now, for this world and for their kids. It was a beautiful movie visually also. I think it was rumored to be the biggest movie of all time and more sequels are coming out. It's absolutely perfect for AK.

Last edited:
Completely disagree. I think Avatar is a movie with a very deep message that many people are wanting right now, for this world and for their kids. It was a beautiful movie visually also. I think it was rumored to be the biggest movie of all time and more sequels are coming out. It's message is absolutely perfect for AK.
no rumor to it
highest grossing film of all time and its not even close
also the highest grossing Blur Ray of all time
Avatar 2 set to begin film in the fall with a total of 4 sequels
perfect message for DAK

Signed,
Wishful thinking... lol

DVC previews start May 13. SO there is a chance.

We booked our trip to coincide with the opening of Pandora soon after they announced the opening dates. We had said in 2013 that we wouldn't be back until it opened. Yet we didn't know anything about the movie or see it until just a couple of weeks ago.

My thought is that people will book vacations regardless because it's something new. The bigger impact beyond the specific attractions is that Pandora is part of a package of improvements that turns Animal Kingdom into more of a full day park. That never could have happened as effectively without Pandora, and Disney will reap plenty of rewards there regardless of how much people think about Avatar in 2017 and how well the sequels do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter