Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just being realistic. They lost close to a billion dollars (so far.) I see most of the free perks that we have previously enjoyed; going away for at least a long while.
But Disney has never benevolently dispensed “free perks” out of the goodness of its heart, based upon its massive profits. Like all corporations it constantly attempts to maximize profits for its shareholders. Against what they would gain for charging for FP, they have to weigh the huge negative publicity hit of “greedy Disney” charging for something that has always been “free”, as well as the foregone income from paid tours and after-hours events.

I would also add that they've never actually been free. We've always paid for them. FP and FP+ were always a part of that admission price.

I would also add that they've never actually been free. We've always paid for them. FP and FP+ were always a part of that admission price.
Ok. So now they are going to make it "not part of the admission price." It was a great perk, that I would hope would return; but we will see. People still went to Disney with masks, plexiglass, no fireworks, less food, ect. They will still come if they charge for fastpass.
All I'm saying is that they aren't going to stop making money. Now they have to make more money; at least for a while.

This is the same poster who back in February was confidently and cryptically predicting the imminent switchover of Fastpass to a maxpass style system. A prediction that he started tossing around years ago. His predictions on this topic should be taken with a barrel of salt.

Yep. And when his predictions don’t pan out, it’s always because ”things got changed”, not because he was just wrong to begin with.

Yep. And when his predictions don’t pan out, it’s always because ”things got changed”, not because he was just wrong to begin with.
As was also posted in this thread, his recent big claim to fame was apparently predicting that the Disney parks would not be reopening in May of 2020 which, ok, that’s great. I predict the sun will rise tomorrow. Let’s see how that prediction turns out.

Fast passes are mentioned in the U.K. 50 th anniversary package released today for 2022, so that at least means that they are coming back in some form. Also mentions ADR window at 60 days, which may indicate that we won’t see 180 days booking window again.

Hopefully there's at least a day or 2 difference between the FP+ window and ADR window opening up. Having both at 60 days would be quite the juggling act.

Disney needs to keep people in the bubble. They need to keep the hotel rooms booked and the restaurants hopping with guests. I don't see Disney removing free FP perks entirely as they need to keep it as a perk for staying on site. As many have mentioned already, without FP perks, what is left to keep one staying onsite? Transportation around property and some time savings? That will only go so far if inflation kicks in and more and more park goers start weighing their dollars spent more miserly and giving those dollars to off property hotels and restaurants or other vacation options entirely.

I suspect there will be paid options to purchase additional FPs for prebooking as was offered to CL guests pre-covid but will now be offered to all on-site guests with a tiered system based on accommodation level.

Disney needs to keep people in the bubble. They need to keep the hotel rooms booked and the restaurants hopping with guests. I don't see Disney removing free FP perks entirely as they need to keep it as a perk for staying on site. As many have mentioned already, without FP perks, what is left to keep one staying onsite? Transportation around property and some time savings? That will only go so far if inflation kicks in and more and more park goers start weighing their dollars spent more miserly and giving those dollars to off property hotels and restaurants or other vacation options entirely.

I suspect there will be paid options to purchase additional FPs for prebooking as was offered to CL guests pre-covid but will now be offered to all on-site guests with a tiered system based on accommodation level.
One way to do it is close the refresh loophole. Those on site get 3 free a day. If you want more you pay for it.

One way to do it is close the refresh loophole. Those on site get 3 free a day. If you want more you pay for it.
I mean, they also could close the refresh loophole by putting a 5 minute timer on refreshes....
Very few people know about the refresh trick, and even fewer actually use it. It's a dynamic system that constantly changes with availability. It makes sense and works as is in my opinion. Then again, I'm biased as a huge fan of FP+.

Very few people know about the refresh trick, and even fewer actually use it. It's a dynamic system that constantly changes with availability. It makes sense and works as is in my opinion. Then again, I'm biased as a huge fan of FP+.
I personally hate it. It's mainly due to the scheduling thing. I prefer what Universal uses as I can ride what I want when I want.

I think Disney should be wary of implementing anything more complicated than the FP+ system that already existed. They are already working hard to make people understand the system for Rise of the Resistance and that's one attraction that has its own way of doing things out of an entire resort.

I keep hearing the same things from people visiting during this post-lockdown time---that despite everything they don't like----masks & temp. checks; reduced resort & dining options; lack of shows, character meet & greets, etc., etc., etc., the one thing people seem to like is that visiting is simpler. Riding rides is simpler. You want to ride something---you have 2 choices---get in line now with the current wait time, or come back later when it hopefully has a bit shorter wait time.
People seem to be embracing the old way of doing WDW--where you go with the flow a bit more.

So if Disney wants to change up FP---I hope they'll go for something that doesn't require any more time & planning than FP+ already does.

I think Disney should be wary of implementing anything more complicated than the FP+ system that already existed. They are already working hard to make people understand the system for Rise of the Resistance and that's one attraction that has its own way of doing things out of an entire resort.

I keep hearing the same things from people visiting during this post-lockdown time---that despite everything they don't like----masks & temp. checks; reduced resort & dining options; lack of shows, character meet & greets, etc., etc., etc., the one thing people seem to like is that visiting is simpler. Riding rides is simpler. You want to ride something---you have 2 choices---get in line now with the current wait time, or come back later when it hopefully has a bit shorter wait time.
People seem to be embracing the old way of doing WDW--where you go with the flow a bit more.

So if Disney wants to change up FP---I hope they'll go for something that doesn't require any more time & planning than FP+ already does.

I certainly didn't miss FP on my recent trip. It's the one thing they can keep gone as far as I'm concerned.

I keep hearing this without the caveat that it's not at full capacity. Are they even at 50% yet?

I don't know, but keep in mind they don't hit 100% every day. It's not 35% of the normal crowds for that day, it's of the max. I would imagine that WDW in early May is not normally getting close to the max capacity. I was there and honestly crowds felt pretty close to normal. It was probably reduced somewhat, but with capacity also reduced somewhat, I am not sure it made a big difference. I really don't know for sure, but I can only say how it "felt" if you know what I mean.

Martin isn't the only insider who has talked about the new FP system. Len Testa has said it was ready and being tested before Covid hit.

I keep hearing this without the caveat that it's not at full capacity. Are they even at 50% yet?
Definitely true. However, some rides and attractions are running at lower capacity, too. That's why suddenly the line for Peter pan is shorter than it normally is while the lines for Philharmagic or Small World are longer than people would expect them to be. And some dining locations, activities, entertainment, and attractions aren't there anymore or there at the moment, so that makes a difference too. I imagine crowds won't come back at normal capacity until they can once again open all of the current attractions and at normal capacity as well. Then you'll be back to having things such as parades and meet and greets eating up crowds instead of just rides like it has been until recently when some shows started allowing small numbers of people in.

I don't know, but keep in mind they don't hit 100% every day. It's not 35% of the normal crowds for that day, it's of the max. I would imagine that WDW in early May is not normally getting close to the max capacity. I was there and honestly crowds felt pretty close to normal. It was probably reduced somewhat, but with capacity also reduced somewhat, I am not sure it made a big difference. I really don't know for sure, but I can only say how it "felt" if you know what I mean.
100% this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter