Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very thrifty in many ways. But there are some things that I don't mind paying extra for if I can afford it. As I've alluded to here and posted in other places in the past, we used to scrimp and save to go to WDW "on the cheap" years ago. In more recent years, I've been able to stay onsite (even bought DVC a few years ago), eat at nicer restaurants, etc.

Even though we could "get by" with a standard view studio, I'm willing to splurge on a 1BR with a better view (we have plans to stay in GVs, cabins, and maybe even a bungalow at some point) because, to me, those things are worth the extra cost.

I don't know if Disney will end up charging for FPs or not, but a small part of me hopes they do. :duck:

I know, sacrilege, right?

I was one of those legacy FP "uber-users" (or "abusers" for those of you who are veterans of the great DIS FP War of 2012) and I adapted quickly to FP+. Because we were now regularly staying onsite (paying more came with the perk of getting MUCH better FP availability at 60 days out), and I knew how to maximize the system on the day of, we got to experience most attractions with minimal waits.

I would also agree that knowledge of the system is really important. As others pointed out, SO many WDW guests who COULD make better use of FPs, don't (largely because they're just not knowledgeable enough about how it really works). But even with all of those advantages, there are still times when it would be nice to have the option of paying more for what would be essentially Universal's Express Pass (Gasp... more sacrilege, I know).

The trick is price point. It has to be high enough to deter the "masses" from buying it, but still be in a price range that I'm willing to pay! :rotfl2:

But I would only be onboard with a paid option if it truly makes our park experience better. If there's enough "value" (that elusive, subjective word gets debated here a lot) offered for the cost, it wouldn't automatically be a net negative if there's a charge for it.

My concern would be that Disney charges for what is essentially the same (or maybe not even as good) product that was free in the past.

Last edited:
WDW is a different animal than Land. Max works out there but may not be as realistic here at WDW with 4 parks and dozens of hotels, where FP+ was used as a marketing tool to get people to stay on property and knowing which attractions people will be at and when. Unless it is used as an exclusive perk for staying on property now instead of an extended window with off-site and day guests having to pay for it (which may be how it is leaning, but who knows?).

They have to be careful with this one to avoid pissing people off, which is why Disney has been playing it closely to the vest still. Nobody truly knows anything yet; just some very educated guesses.

I will repeat what I stated in my last post on this thread. They have the code and ability to bring back FP+ as it was if they choose to. It did not suddenly disappear with park reservations. If that guy said otherwise, he is wrong on that at least.

I'm very thrifty in many ways. But there are some things that I don't mind paying extra for if I can afford it. As I've alluded to here and posted in other places in the past, we used to scrimp and save to go to WDW "on the cheap" years ago. In more recent years, I've been able to stay onsite (even bought DVC a few years ago), eat at nicer restaurants, etc.

Even though we could "get by" with a standard view studio, I'm willing to splurge on a 1BR with a better view (we have plans to stay in GVs, cabins, and maybe even a bungalow at some point) because, to me, those things are worth the extra cost.

I don't know if Disney will end up charging for FPs or not, but a small part of me hopes they do. :duck:

I know, sacrilege, right?

I was one of those legacy FP "uber-users" (or "abusers" for those of you who are veterans of the great DIS FP War of 2012) and I adapted quickly to FP+. Because we were now regularly staying onsite (paying more came with the perk of getting MUCH better FP availability at 60 days out), and I knew how to maximize the system on the day of, we got to experience most attractions with minimal waits.

I would also agree that knowledge of the system is really important. As others pointed out, SO many WDW guests who COULD make better use of FPs, don't (largely because they're just not knowledgeable enough about how it really works). But even with all of those advantages, there are still times when it would be nice to have the option of paying more for what would be essentially Universal's Express Pass (Gasp... more sacrilege, I know).

The trick is price point. It has to be high enough to deter the "masses" from buying it, but still be in a price range that I'm willing to pay! :rotfl2:

But I would only be onboard with a paid option if it truly makes our park experience better. If there's enough "value" (that elusive, subjective word gets debated here a lot) offered for the cost, it wouldn't automatically be a net negative if there's a charge for it.

My concern would be that Disney charges for what is essentially the same (or maybe not even as good) product that was free in the past.
I also hope they do… would definitely pay more to get on better rides for shorter waits.

When the Express Pass First began at Universal, I don’t remember a general population option to buy one existed. It was ONLY for their hotels which at that time was only 3 hotels. Later they introduced the Express Pass that could be purchased for 1 ride each and then added an unlimited version.

When the Express Pass First began at Universal, I don’t remember a general population option to buy one existed. It was ONLY for their hotels which at that time was only 3 hotels. Later they introduced the Express Pass that could be purchased for 1 ride each and then added an unlimited version.
I remember when Universal only had 2 hotels and promoted it as front of the line access. You walked through an empty queue. There was, at most, one or two groups ahead of you. Universal started offering express passes to guests who booked timeshare tours from participating vendors. My memory is express were given as a perk for applying for a Universal branded credit card.

Express pass now gives you a wait that's about half the regular ride. An hour wait becomes 30 minutes.

I remember when Universal only had 2 hotels and promoted it as front of the line access. You walked through an empty queue. There was, at most, one or two groups ahead of you. Universal started offering express passes to guests who booked timeshare tours from participating vendors. My memory is express were given as a perk for applying for a Universal branded credit card.

Express pass now gives you a wait that's about half the regular ride. An hour wait becomes 30 minutes.
The best thing about Express pass and what I hate about FP is the scheduling part. Being able to ride what you want when you want is a big plus.

I also hope they do… would definitely pay more to get on better rides for shorter waits.

Yes, please. I would also gladly upgrade my hotel stays if it was included based on tier (ala premier category at Universal) if you are out there listening, Disney. No more moderates for us.

If it were to be a paid system, they could add it as a benefit for deluxe resort guests and top tier passholders. Depending on how they redo the ap system and tiers

Maybe you just mean DME, but the transportation system within the World still remains pretty top-notch. (Yes even with the bus delays).

I have many people ask me if Disney provides transportation to and from the parks and they definitely feel like it's a perk. I do as well. We drive to Disney, park the car and never get back in it until it is time to leave two weeks later.

Maybe you just mean DME, but the transportation system within the World still remains pretty top-notch. (Yes even with the bus delays).

I will say that on my trip last week, the buses were pretty on point. Even with the limited capacity there was always a bus coming, sometimes waiting three deep to get people back to POP. It went faster than usual. That might be because some properties are still not operating, but still, I was quite pleased.

Add me to the list of people who would pay for FP (or book deluxe more often to get it). I'm at a point in my life where I feel like my time is more valuable than money, so I'm willing to spend a little extra to avoid waiting in line. Also, it'd probably let me spend more time at the resort I'm staying at.

Every park I can think of, except WDW, offers some kind of guest paid shorter line feature.

Does anyone think WDW is going to leave $$$ on the floor?

Yeah, every amusement park does this (maybe except Hersheypark, I don't remember a paid option there). Ironically, though, WDW is the only park I'd pay for this, and they're the only ones that don't offer it (yet)!

I'm actually at a point where I kind of want to see them keep going without Fastpass for awhile and see if people adapt better to standby only now that we can easily check wait times at any attraction across the park. If a line is super long, you just come back to it, kwim? I know most people would think that's a crazy idea, though, LOL! 🤪

I think FP+ for onsite guests and paid for everyone else. If it is just a paid service for everyone, then I will stop staying onsite as often. FP+ 60 day booking is one of the main reasons I stay onsite every trip.
Exactly. Especially for those in value resorts. Those resorts aren't close to parks like the deluxes. The perks for values were always airport transfers (DME) and early access to FP+. Without some sort of perk for staying at a value, is it really worth staying on property for a hotel that costs more than a comparable off-site hotel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter