Overhyped Disney Restaurant Tour Live From Kidani Village 8/29-9/7

Wow, that makes me want to eat there and say I'm vegan- just to get that special food.:cloud9:

And here is the cumulative scoring:

Tangierine Café: 1 Lisa
Wolfgang Puck Café: 1 Ned
Belle Vue Lounge: 1 Lisa
Flying Fish: 3 Burns
La Cava del Tequila: 6 Lisas, 5 Burns
Brown Derby: 5 Lisas
Sanaa: 5 Burns, 2 Lisas
Coral Reef: 1 Lisa, 1 Burns
California Grill: 3 Burns
Le Cellier: 2 Lisas, 1 Burns
Jiko: 17 Burns, 3 Lisas (Dinner Series except for 1 Burns)
Mythos: 3 Lisas, 2 Release the Hounds
Tchoup Chop: 16 Burns
Contempo Café: 1 Lisa, 1 Ned
Epcot Wine Walk: 1 Lisa
Ohana: 5 Lisas, 2 Burns, 1 Ned (regular menu. vegan menu not rated)

Most Burns: Jiko
Best Overall: Tchoup Chop
Most Lisas: La Cava del Tequila
Release the Hounds Award: Mythos

Total Burns Awarded: 48
Total Lisas Awarded: 31
Total Neds Awarded: 3
Total Hound Releases: 2

The vegan meal at 'Ohana looked amazingly creative. How lucky Chef TJ is so willing to work with guests!

I would say you did pretty well on this trip, Catherine. You had a lot of decent food and not many dogs!

You ate really well this week! I really enjoyed your reviews. I do have one question though. I do prefer sweeter fruitier margaritas, which one(s) would you recommend, there are a couple that caught my eye, but if you had to rank them how would you rank these three, passion fruit, blood orange, and peach.

LOVED the 'Ohana review! I'm a vegetarian so I'm hoping for some good food. Does anyone know if Chef TJ works on Tuesdays?

Alas, I have come to bury Caesar, not to praise it.

But first -- the soup!

CIMG0709.jpg

I've had the tortilla soup before it was just as good as before. The soup tasted fresh, had just enough spice to give the sour cream garnish something to cool, and had the rim of the bowl liberally dusted with cumin, which I pushed into the soup to give it extra cuminy goodness.

I give the soup a Lisa.
simpsonsratinggood.jpg

And now the salad.

CIMG0710.jpg

Caesar salads appear on the menu of nearly every restaurant in the US. With something that ubiquitous, it's amazing how broadly inconsistent its recipe can be. I opted to add on the shrimp to my salad. They tasted fine and were cooked perfectly, although I don't think they were quite worth the surcharge that amounted to nearly $2 per shrimp. The prize was at the bottom of the bowl -- wood grilled pitas that had been brushed with olive oil. They were smoky and delicious.

Unfortunately, those tasty pita wedges were buried in the blandest caesar salad I've ever tasted. I suspect no anchovies or garlic had been harmed in the making of the dressing. The shredded cheese on top did nothing to enhance the flavor either and in hindsight I suspect it may have even been a parmesan imposter (maybe mozzarella?). Perhaps TDCNala's fifty cents was enough to bribe the Kraft grated parmesan off my salad and onto her fries.
I hate to rob pitas to rate all but I'm sending the whole dish to the hounds.

releasethehounds.jpg

It really didn't help that service was also painfully sloooooow. Perhaps we've gotten too acclimated to the expedited service in the table service of the Disney parks.

If I return to Mythos in the future, I'll spare Caesar and beware the sides of starch.

I'm not sure if I should say "great review" or not :confused3 Let's go with "love the writing, sorry the food sucked" :goodvibes

Catharine, I hope you enjoyed your birthday trip as much as I did reading about it. All in all, the food & experiences sounded fantastic (minus a few) :thumbsup2

Ooh, Sanaa is looking better and better. I probably won't eat there in October, but December might be a possibility. Maybe their menu will have the shrimp and scallops added by then.

And 'Ohana. Wow! I think the vegan meal is the way to go. Everything looked beautiful!

Oh, and the Margarita Angel. I liked that li'l cherub. He was awesome. I might want to have the peach margarita after I try the avocado one. :)

I'm sad - the pictures are saying Photobucket band width exceeded. I want to see the rest of the review!

Anyways, thanks again for posting. I would never consider booking at Tchoup Chop if you hadn't.

This was such a fantastic thread! I loved every one of your entries, TDCNala (and the guest-posting, ImprovGal).

I think my salivary glands are working over time looking a posts like this. I hope I don't run out of drool before Oct. 14!

thanks for this review, esp all of the Tequila Ditch info, I'm a racecar in the red in anticipation of this place. Love their take on the Shrimp cocktail! 3 more weeks to go..... :cool1:

You ate really well this week! I really enjoyed your reviews. I do have one question though. I do prefer sweeter fruitier margaritas, which one(s) would you recommend, there are a couple that caught my eye, but if you had to rank them how would you rank these three, passion fruit, blood orange, and peach.

In order of sweetness:
1) Peach
2) Passion fruit
3) Blood orange

I'm Cravin' the Cave after this intensive post. Thanks for the effort and the delectable food fotos TDCNala!

and I quote ...
Third-degree Burns for this baby.
burns.jpg

burns.jpg

burns.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter