Our Surprise Adventure of a Lifetime. Lots of Pics Along the Way!

I believe anticipation is part of the fun. And, I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube of kids who didn't react the way their parents wanted them to. I can understand not telling kids if it's like a year out, but I think they could handle a few months.
PS: I loved your dinner and will definitely try to duplicate it in the upcoming weeks. I need help with a banner. Did you have a program or something?

Thanks for the input. Really, I don't want to tell them because if something happens and we end up not being able to take them on vacation, that would be devastating ya know? As for the banner, sorry, it was just a lot of trial and error on word. But I know that MS word does have templates for banners. Just go to the help menu and type in banner. A bunch of them will come up. Good Luck!!

I wouldn't surprise toddlers but I think pre-teens will love that you are doing this for them. I actually took my 5 year old daughter on a surprise trip. We did tell her we were going somewhere fabulous. When she asked if we were going to Egypt I said "no, not that fabulous". But close!

Haha, not many kids think of Egypt when you say fabulous vacation. That's so cute. I'm really excited to surprise them even if they don't freak out like I think they will.

Until next time, sending a little magic your way! :wizard:

I wish 2009 rates would come out already! I want to get a definite price on our reservation. Plus, I hear it has been rumored that the deluxe DDP will go up something ridiculous like 20 extra per person per day. EEK! :scared1: And as you can see from my earlier posts, we NEED the deluxe plan because we LOVE to eat. I think we decided on a week to go. May 13-21. Flying out and in in the middle of the week=lower airfare. ;) Anyway, more later! Until then, sending a little magic your way. :wizard:

I know, I know, I'm chart crazy! The thing is, I had this data scattered all over the place so I decided to put it all on one colorful chart.

6962da74.jpg

As you can see, in the middle is a thermometer kind of thing to show our total savings. I also have mini charts for extra money we save on top of the 8,400, vacation related expenses (reservation, plane tickets, rental car, etc...), non-vacation related expenses that we need to dip into our Disney fund for (emergencies only), and for extra hours I work to put extra money towards the trip. The premise is that each square is worth a different amount/time on each chart and we fill in the squares as we complete or contribute to that perspective category. There is also an envelope with a little little ledger on it above vacation expenses so we can keep track of what we bought, when, and for how much. (I made the envelope from a piece of paper with no pattern! I was so proud of myself!) Inside the envelope is where we will put our receipts for the things we buy for vaca. Just thought I would share! Until next time, sending a little magic your way!:wizard:

I love this report!!!!

Give me some of your ways of saving money. What you've cut out and such. I love the glass bottle idea.

My son is only 2 and we want to wait until he is at least 4. So I have 2 years to plan and save. Saving is the hardest part for me.

I love the movie nights. As for having your sisters save money why not start a savings account for them. Tell them to put in a little bit here and there and they will have fun watching it grow!

Can't wait to see more of the PTR!

I just have to wow - what a cool sis to come up with this surprise :thumbsup2

I'm gonna be following this report, can't wait to hear how the surprise goes and if you manage to save enough, looks like you're doing really well :cool1:

I love your charts, you have such great hand writing. It's a great way to see how well you're getting on and really encourages you to save - good luck;)

I hope you find a way of doing something for the teenagers, it's a shame you think they wouldn't like WDW but not worth the money incase they don't enjoy it.

Also I love your idea of putting in day to day reports. I like Mika, his music is so happy :lovestruc

Can't wait to hear more popcorn::

MusiqChic99: Thank you so much for joining in and I'm glad you are enjoying so far. I just literally laughed out loud when I read your post because I didn't think I would LIVE to see the day someone asked ME for savings advice! I guess when you have something you really, really want, saving money becomes easier. My DH and I are lucky in the fact that we don't have a mortgage or any kids so it is easier for us to cut back than it is for others.

Here are my saving tips thus far:

1. Cut back on unnecessary expenses (I know it sounds simple but hey, is ANYTHING that sounds simple ever really simple?)
For us, the unnecessary expense we cut out was eating at restaurants. We used to go out to eat twice a day pretty much every day (I know.. gross!) We would never go to the grocery store. We were able to cut back A LOT by setting a "once a week" rule... which is a fantastic cut back if you ask me (almost like quitting smoking cold turkey). I am cooking a lot more which is good because I absolutely love to cook.

2. Treat the money you are saving as if you never had it to begin with.
It's mostly a mental game you play with yourself. For instance, instead of expecting 500 dollars on my pay, I would only expect 300.

3. Write it down!
It also helps so much to WRITE YOUR GOALS DOWN. I can't stress that enough. If you don't write it down in some form (charts for me), it is just a fleeting thought.

4. Reward yourself for sticking to your plan
As you start seeing progress in accomplishing your goal, create a reward for yourself. For us, it is buying something we need for vacation every thousand dollars. If you have ever heard of the Body for Life diet, he tells you to stick to your diet 6 days a week. Your 7th day is FREE! You can eat whatever you want. If you tell yourself you will NEVER eat/buy something again (or for the next however long), there is no way you will be able to follow through with that. If you are looking forward to a reward of some kind though, you will be more likely to stick to your plan.

5. Involve someone else in the planning process.
For me, this includes writing my PTR, talking to my DH about how excited we are and the progress we are making, and keeping a personal trip journal. By doing this, you are almost making an obligation to them to keep them up to date on your progress.

6. Keep reminders of your goal all around you.
As people at work and home can tell you, I have Disney on the brain! My desktop background on my computer is a picture of Disney World, I wear Disney shirts, I drink from a Disney mug, I mean, I'm Disney crazy while I am planning! (Not to mention all of my crazy charts.) I find that if I have reminders like this, it keeps me from becoming impatient and hopeless and helps me become more dedicated and excited. My Disney movie nights are also a great help in this area.

7. Make the trip about someone else.
My DH and I have wanted to go back to WDW for the last couple of years but it wasn't until we decided to surprise my 2DSis that we got our tails in gear and really strapped down. Just the thought of them experiencing Disney for the first time is enough to keep me at work that extra hour, or not get that ice cream cone I have been craving all day.

8. Remember every little bit helps.
This one is pretty self explanatory but it's so true. If you have an extra dollar laying around, put it in your savings! You will be surprised at how fast that pot grows.

9. Put your money somewhere that you can't get to it.
Our solution to this was to put our money in the glass bottle. We can see our money growing but couldn't get it out even if we tried (unless we broke it of course).

10. Save your change.
I never thought this worked but, DH and I have been putting our change in a big water jug for a few years, cashing it in whenever we really need it. Last time we cashed it in, we had over 1,000 dollars in it. How is that for a big payoff for such a small daily sacrifice?

11. Resist the urge to buy that cheeseburger and save the money instead!
This sort of goes along with the "every little bit helps" concept. The premise here being: if you absolutely know that you would otherwise would be spending that money on something unnecessary, put it away instead. The other day, I was craving a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy's ALL DAY. I knew that under normal circumstances, I would be in that drive through quicker than you can say "heart attack". That money would be gone either way. I made what I consider to be a good decision, and put that 3 dollars into our bottle instead. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying completely deprive yourself of every little luxury, but if you can do without, do without! You will be surprised at how good you will feel about saving the money instead. I know for me, the feeling of watching my savings grow wins over laying in bed with a belly full of grease any day.

12. Stop driving so much!
With gas prices skyrocketing, we have all felt the crunch. Do you really need to go to Wawa or 7-11 to get that candy bar? Is it really necessary to drive over to your girlfriend's house to tell her about the ridiculous day you had today? Call her instead, pick up extra candy when you are at the grocery store or on your way home from work to keep your cravings at bay. CARPOOL! We have all heard way too much about this gas crisis so I won't go too into detail but you catch my drift... the less you spend on gas, the more you can save for Disney.

13. Set a plan you can follow.
Don't fool yourself into thinking you can save 1,000 dollars a month if you know, realistically, you can only put away 500. You will only set yourself up for disappointment.

14. Suck it up and work!
If you have a job that pays hourly, work a few extra hours every pay to ensure you will have enough money. Maybe you could get a second part-time job to fund the trip. I have been working a lot of extra hours since we started saving. My eyes are perpetually bloodshot and I am ready for bed at around 9:00 but I know it's all worth it!

Are you ready for the DEFINITIVE tip of this collection? Here it comes...

15. Don't be discouraged if you get off track.
You will never follow every rule you set for yourself. You will never save as much money as you wanted to. You will never have a year that doesn't necessitate taking money out of your vacation fund for an emergency. I was so excited to start saving and, don't you know it, the first pay we were supposed to save with, we could only put 60 dollars away instead of 200. Now, I said to myself: "I KNEW it wouldn't go to plan and we might slip up.. but on our FIRST deposit?!" I was really disappointed but decided to just go forward. We have already put an extra 100 away and know we will be able to make it up. Don't fall off the wagon! Get back on the horse.. you know... all those corny encouraging cliches everyone throws around. The only way to accomplish these kinds of goals is to be flexible and don't get down on yourself if you mess up.

Well, I'm all out for now and I'm sure you are tired of reading but that's the best advice I can give you. Good Luck everyone! Don't be afraid to set lofty goals because the loftiest goals have the highest payoffs.

Becx N Gav: Thank you for your support! As you can see, everyone's support really helps me. I think DH and I have figured out something for the teens. We are going to take them on a 4 day snowboarding trip this winter. It is relatively cheap and they will love to go. As for my handwriting, I suppose it comes from the ridiculous amounts of scrapbooking and random crafts I have done. Two years ago, I made a separate 25 layout scrapbook for each of my 4 siblings. (I know, I'm crazy) I agree that Mika's music is very happy.. that's one of the reasons I love it. P.S. did you know that he is terribly dyslexic and can't even READ music? That's why he learned to write music for himself. Thanks for joining in!

Until next time, sending a little magic your way! :wizard:

Great report! I love your charts. It's a great way to keep track of Disney savings.

Thanks! I agree it really does help but will I ever stop making them? I guess that is a question that can only be answered in time. Stay tuned to find out!

I posted a chart here yesterday. I made a different chart to replace that one and replaced the picture on my post. Check it out... I think I can FINALLY stop making them. Thanks for reading!

I did the Italian dinner night. What a wonderful idea!!!!!
I hope you do another one and share. When you finally tell the girls, will you come up with another spectacular night? Let us know your initial thoughts and we can fine-tune w/ many details. :goodvibes

I did the Italian dinner night. What a wonderful idea!!!!!
I hope you do another one and share. When you finally tell the girls, will you come up with another spectacular night? Let us know your initial thoughts and we can fine-tune w/ many details. :goodvibes

I'm so glad your dinner went well! It's like bringing a little bit of the Disney magic to your own house. We will be doing a different dinner every other week so there will be plenty for you to read. Next week is Beauty and the Beast.

As for surprising the girls with the trip, I started these dinners without an idea in mind but once I thought of this, I knew it would be perfect. We take turns choosing the movie so that there is no fighting. The last week we do it, which will be the night before we leave, I will make sure it is my turn to pick the movie. It will be Peter Pan night. I will make turkey legs (one of my WDW favorites) for dinner and then create a treasure hunt. Now, I have always known that I am putting together bags for each of them to surprise them (messenger bags with a beach towel, waterproof disposable camera, crocs, Disney shirts, etc...). What I am going to do is put their bags in a big plastic container and actually bury it on the beach (we live about 3 blocks away from the beach). I will create a treasure map that will end there with them actually digging for their buried treasure. Hopefully it will be as great as I think it will be.

I love doing these movie nights because not only will it get us into the spirit, but it is a fun way to bond. I hope your dinners continue to be a success and I will definitely keep you up to date on what we are doing. Until next time, sending a little magic your way! :wizard:

Well, I was thinking of going along with the "Be Our Guest" theme and making a fancy dinner. I was thinking filet mignon and fingerling potatoes. I may still do this but Hannah (the youngest) is really picky and I don't know if she will eat steak. If I find out she won't, I will make roasted chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and some kind of fancy dessert... maybe creme brulee. I will also break out the tea set DH and I got for our wedding 2 years ago and still haven't used (you know, because of Mrs. Pots and Chip). French food would be a good option because it takes place in France but I know 2DSis won't eat that! There will be a single red rose and tapered candles on the table with a tablecloth and our fancy china. Hope this helps!

Don't worry about the filet mignon - we eat (mostly) vegetarian at our house but DD5 LOVES her Daddy's filet mignon.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the great ideas. I am going to try one of these dinners tonight!

Don't worry about the filet mignon - we eat (mostly) vegetarian at our house but DD5 LOVES her Daddy's filet mignon.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the great ideas. I am going to try one of these dinners tonight!

Awesome! You will definitely have to let me know how it goes.

Good morning everyone! Reporting in this Monday morning to tell you all about our latest Disney Movie Night. This past Saturday, it was Courtney's turn to pick a movie and she said she wanted to watch Beauty and the Beast. So, that day, I got everything ready. Early in the afternoon I dropped off invitations to Courtney and Hannah that said:

You are cordially invited to a dinner party and the residence of Heather and Mike this evening at 7:30 PM. After dinner entertainment and "tea" will be part of our celebration. Please wear formal attire. Your driver will arrive at 7:00.

I set up a table outside on our little porch with a candle in the middle and our fancy china.

IMGP2110.jpg

I didn't take a pciture before we served the food but here is what it looked like after.

IMGP2111.jpg

On the menu for tonight...

IMGP2119.jpg

After I got everything set up, I got dressed up and then left to pick up the movie at the video store and the girls. When I got to Hollywood Video, I was informed they didn't have Beauty and the Beast! OH NO!!! So, I drove to Blockbuster to check but they didn't have it either! I called Courtney and asked her to ask her friends if they had it but they didn't. So, I went back to Hollywood Video and tried to find a movie that would fit our theme. I decided on Ratatouille since we were dressing up in nice clothes and treating the dinner like dinner at a restaurant. I went to pick up the girls and then brought them back to my house. When we walked in, DH was dressed up in a jacket and had a cloth over his shoulder. He spoke with the worst French accent I have ever heard and greeted us and sat us at our table. We had dinner (which everyone loved)...

IMGP2117.jpg

IMGP2116.jpg

IMGP2118.jpg

and then tea (aka hot chocolate) , dessert, and our movie.

IMGP2122.jpg

IMGP2126.jpg

It was great, as I expect all of them will be... even though we couldn't watch the movie we originally wanted to... it all worked out. Until next time, sending a little magic your way! :wizard:

Wow! Lovely ideas. You did great, girl! What's the next movie???????? I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow your dinner looked like so much fun :cool1:

Do you have room for another one? I'll do the washing up :laughing:

Wow! I just wanted to tell you I love everything you have done. What a great sister.

I was thinking too...what about letting them in on the suprise little by little? Like once a month give them a clue, or figure out a way to get them to save up without giving it away.

And they may want to help plan? Either way it's a great suprise!

I'm just joining in and OMG I soooo want to be one of your sisters!!!!

By the way, your Philly trip pix were awsome, too! You should like MY kind of people!

having fun reading your PTR...!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter