OT: Front load washers and HE detergent

At any rate, it has been several. When I bought it, HE detergent was very hard to find, and when you could find it, it was Tide. I have to use no fragrance, hypoallergenic detergents, and don't particularly care for Tide anyway. I have nearly always used regular detergent, but about 1/4 as much as before. No problems whatsoever from my washer.

I LOVE the front loader. Our clothes seem cleaner and are definitely softer than with any washer I have ever had. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of film/residue was left on our clothes all of those years. Yuck.

This is avery timely discussion for me. I have to use detergents with no scent, etc (free) because of two of my children's skin conditions. At first, I found ALL Free and Clear for HE and then it was gone. Now I went to Target today and they didn't have the Tide FREE for HE. This is killing me. If I can't find it tomorrow, I guess I will just try the old stuff and use less.

thanks.

I have a Kemore HE3 and I use regular detergent. I cannot use Tide as it is too harsh and my kids have sensitive skin. I have had this washer for a few years and have had no problems. princess:

lastminutemom said:
This is avery timely discussion for me. I have to use detergents with no scent, etc (free) because of two of my children's skin conditions. At first, I found ALL Free and Clear for HE and then it was gone. Now I went to Target today and they didn't have the Tide FREE for HE. This is killing me. If I can't find it tomorrow, I guess I will just try the old stuff and use less.

thanks.

I've had a front loader for 2 years and use ALL free and clear small and mighty (small bottle) - non-He. I fill up the cap maybe 1/2 way and it's been fine. You can use the regular ALL free and clear (don't need He). I currently have Wisk small and mighty He because I had a coupon, but will go back to the ALL after it's done because I don't like the scent and color in the Wisk. I've always used a non-He detergent (up until this bottle of Wisk) and have never had any problems. I have the Kenmore Elite He3 set.

lastminutemom said:

thanks.
There is some All F/C at my local market, and I think Method also has one...you can find that at Target.

Every manufacturer has different specs, but ours said you could use either. I use regular and just use 1/2-1/3 of the normal amount. We'd have our current household set for over 6 years with no issues at all.

Wow, this is just on time for me. I just bought a Whirlpool Front Load machine yesterday and it will be installed tomorrow. I have the book and saw the info on HE and had NEVER heard of it before! I took a stroll down the laundry aisle today in my neighborhood Kroger and was surprised at the MANY choices!

I purchased a small generic bottle to try out. I'll see how it works!

Hi,
Congrats on your new washer (maybe one day...), BJ's also has HE detergent (Berkley and Jensen) 200 onz for 9.99. I don't have a high efficiency washer, but bought the detergent by mistake, but it turn out ok, give it a try.

:)

Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can use the OxyActive (All) powder stain remover in a front loading washing machine? I used to use this in my other washer just to whiten the whites, but don't know if or how to use it in a front loader. I read the instruction manual and there is nothing in there about this. I don't even know what compartment it would go into. Any help will be appreciated as I have two tubs of this downstairs collecting dust.

Jenny

I've had my Whirlpool Duet for over 4 years now and have NEVER used HE detergent. HE is a marketing tool to get you people to buy regular watered down detergent at a higher price. Its the same stuff JUST watered down. I use All and only use 1/2 the amount required in a regular machine. My machine is just fine.

I have had my front loader (Kenmore) for 5 years now and I don't use HE detergent. I use regular Wisk and everything is just fine. We did just spend $140 bucks repairing it tho. The dials that use turn to select a cycle broke and it wouldn't complete the last cycle therefore leaving the load full of water. Hopefully it is fixed now - hubby did it on Saturday and all seems fine. I do love that it leaves your clothes with much less water therefore making drying time less! My clothes also seen cleaner with it!

I have a Maytag Neptune, and was part of the class action lawsuit over the mold issues. I haven't had mechanical problems with it though, and I've always used regular detergent, just less of it. I've had it for almost 6 years.

I also have they Maytag Neptune set and have had them for about 4.5 years. I have always used regular detergent, just use half. At first, I would accidentally use the full amount of detergent, but never noticed suds in the washer or clothes. I haven't had a single issue using non HE detergent.

I had a full bottle of Tide Coldwater and brought it to the market and they let me trade it for an HE. Although, like one person said, "it seems to be detergent that is watered down." In fact, the woman that sold the machine to me said it just had to do with concentrate.

Anyway, I'm wondering if maybe I overloaded it. I use to put a pull basket in my old washer - full to the top. I put a little over that in the new machine and all the clothes were wrapped around each other, tangled and it took me just as long to dry (although there were more clothes). They didn't seem to be exceptinally rung out when they came out of the washer - no more than with my other washer.

Any suggestions??!!

Okay, so I've had my washer machine (Whirlpool Duet) for almost a week. I am just surprised that, (a) it takes 1 hr. to wash laundry and my old machine took 35 minutes; (b) it takes just as long to dry clothes in my dryer (same dryer); (c) clothes are more wrinkled. I've been putting the same amount of clothes I put in my old washer. The new washer is 3.8 which is pretty big.

I didn't know if I was doing anything wrong (although how can you mess up doing a load of laundry!). I use regular cycle with cold/hot and high spin.

Thanks - Lori

"Okay, so I've had my washer machine (Whirlpool Duet) for almost a week. I am just surprised that, (a) it takes 1 hr. to wash laundry and my old machine took 35 minutes; (b) it takes just as long to dry clothes in my dryer (same dryer); (c) clothes are more wrinkled. I've been putting the same amount of clothes I put in my old washer. The new washer is 3.8 which is pretty big.

I didn't know if I was doing anything wrong (although how can you mess up doing a load of laundry!). I use regular cycle with cold/hot and high spin.

Thanks - Lori
10-30-2006 09:28 PM"

I think it has to do with whatever cycle you are using. Our regular cycle doesn't take that long ..... :confused3
Sorry that you haven't had much luck with it

I also have a Maytag Neptune. I don't remember reading anything about using HE detergent. I guess I will have to take a closer look at the owners manual. I have been using regular detergent and not a reduced amount either - I have been using powder. And I don't recall seeing anything with excess suds either.

Glad I came across this thread as my washer is only about 3 weeks old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter