Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

I think the DH and I have pretty much committed to this one. I just wish that RunDisney would release the registration costs already. I like to plan ahead and know how much it's going to cost, especially since both of us are planning to run!

28 days until registration.......information about the race would be helpful!!! :confused3

Since the TOT race is at night, can you check in at the Expo on the morning of the race? Or do you still have to check in the day before?

I'm a lurker coming out of the shadows to join this thread. My DH and I plan to do this run. We did the HM during Marathon weekend which was our first HM, and I'm hooked on runDisney now! DH is just happy this is shorter than the half :rotfl2:

We are definitely both novices at running since we just started C25K over the summer and then trained for the half. Look forward to following this thread and getting great advice from you more experienced runners.

Since the TOT race is at night, can you check in at the Expo on the morning of the race? Or do you still have to check in the day before?

I'm guessing that they'll have the Expo the day before and the morning of the race. That's how they've done it for Expedition Everest.

I looked up the event information for the old race in 2009 and they had packet pick up on Friday from 3-8pm and Saturday (race day) from 10am - 4pm. Hope they do something similar this time around too.

It looks like I may be able to do this race! :banana: I was hoping for either W&D or this and I love MNSSHP so I think I'll choose this one. Not 100% sure I can go but it's looking good!

Amanda

I am in!! I have already started training for this race, and it will be my first Disney race. I am so excited!

I have a question for the vets, though- I know it might be different with this race, but what is typically included in the registration fee for the races? What should I expect? If I am planning my vacation around the race, is it better to run the race then park it up, or the other way around? Any help would be super appreciated :)

Can't wait!!

Does anyone have an idea of when they will announce the route or sponsor hotels? Very excited to do this race!

I am in!! I have already started training for this race, and it will be my first Disney race. I am so excited!

I have a question for the vets, though- I know it might be different with this race, but what is typically included in the registration fee for the races? What should I expect? If I am planning my vacation around the race, is it better to run the race then park it up, or the other way around? Any help would be super appreciated :)

Can't wait!!

Yay for your doing your first Disney race! Have you done other races before? Sorry if I'm getting into too many specifics, but here's what I'd say is likely to be included with registration: participant shirt, medal, ticket to the "after party", custom race bib with your name if you sign up before a certain date, chip timing, water stops during the race, maybe a Clif Shot during the race (not sure on this since it's only 10 miles and not a half), post-race water and sports drink, and post-race food (something like fruit and Clif Bars - don't expect anything fancy). And if you're staying at a host resort transportation to and from the expo and race.

But most importantly you get the fun and magic of running through Disney. :yay:

Personally I like to plan the race for the middle of my vacation. I like to have a couple days to get used to the weather and rest a bit before the race. I don't know about you, but I don't get a lot of the sleep the few days before I leave for vacation because there are so many last minute things to do and wrap up before leaving. So for me it's nice to unwind a bit before getting amped up again for the race. Then after the race I like to have at least a full day if not more to enjoy the parks now that main event is over and I can pig out on all the yummy treats found around WDW. Hope that helps!

Does anyone have experience running a night race? How do you prepare that is different from a morning race?

Thanks!

Does anyone have experience running a night race? How do you prepare that is different from a morning race?

Thanks!

It is kind of an experiment until you know what your body will react to but I would do some longer training runs at night and track how you ate that day and how you feel. For my race I had a muffin and parfait for breakfast and had lunch around noon but really it depends on the person.

I do think it is a mistake to make the race your first actual night run.

I may do this race, I'm probably at about 25%. I do want to get down for the F&W festival and will be doing a full in mid October so this race would fit but I'm waiting to see what the cost will be and what the after party will have. I loved having the F&W booths at the after party for F&W and I'm not sure if DHS will have enough for me to think it is worth the ridiculous price I'm sure it will be.

I want to do this race soooooooooooooooooooo bad. I have my hotel booked (DVC members) now I just have to pray DH is better by then (battling BOOP lung disease after a bone marrow transplant). Of course, it's ironic how things happen, one year ago on February 14th (registration day) we found out DH had ALL and CML (Leukemia) and he had a bone marrow transplant May 13th (yes, that was a friday the 13th). Well the one thing that is keeping DH's spirits up right now is this trip we have planned for Sept/Oct. We'll do MNSSHP & F&W and I'll do the 10 mi TOT run with hopefully DH and our kids at the finish line waiting for me. I did the 1/2 marathon last year and LOVED IT!!! Can't wait for this TOT run. I'm going to start running at night now so I have plenty of time to get used to it. When I was training for the 1/2 I ran early in the morning so I'd be used to running early and I ran the whole 13 miles in 3 hrs. Hopefully this strategy will hold true for the TOT 10 mi and I'll run a little faster.

Trying to speculate on host hotels. Does anyone know what the host hotels were for the last ToT race?

I'm in. Night races are cool because they are just so different from Day / Morning races. I just hope that if we run through AK, that it could be a little bit lighted better. The wine & dine race had some dark spots that made it tough trying to pass people without worrying about your footing.

Hi everyone!:wave2:
I'm putting us on the list! DH ran the half last month. It was our first trip to a Disney race. After seeing how far he's come, and seeing the great atmosphere of the shared experience at the Disney race for everyone, I have become motivated myself. DH just started running 18 months ago, and so far he's lost 50 pounds, feels better than ever, and has run in five half marathons. He even started in the A corral for the Disney half- I'm very proud of him!

I used to run when I was younger. I haven't run in many years though (both DH and I are in our mid-40's). But, I have faith that I can get there! I'm using this Tower of Terror 10-miler as my goal. To get myself started back up again, I've been doing the Cool Running C25K program. I'm in the middle of week 3 and loving it so far. I've even run in rain and snow. ::yes:: DH is being very supportive and motivational, and says he will gladly run the race with me if I stick with it. When I saw this race, I knew that this was the carrot I needed! I love Hollywood Studios, ToT is my favorite ride in the parks, and I am a night owl (most definitely NOT a morning person!!!). Don't even talk to me until I've had my :coffee: . If we go (and it's all up to me sticking with my program), then we will make it an adults-only trip- our first trip without the kids! They have no idea we are even thinking of doing this. :rolleyes1: So, I think that is plenty of motivation! It will also be our 15th wedding anniversary that month. Plenty of excuses to go on that trip now! :thumbsup2

Joining in and saying hello...99.9% sure the BF and I will register for this race the day it opens!

Trying to speculate on host hotels. Does anyone know what the host hotels were for the last ToT race?

I found this info on an old Fb site for the 2009 race: All-Star Sports, Caribbean Beach, BoardWalk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter