Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Is anyone else stalking the Run Disney page for more info. on this race? I wish they would release more information than just the date! I would like to see a cost and host hotels so I can plan!

I agree. It's very frustrating. Do they usually wait until the day of registration to release all of the details? I'm beginning to think that is what they are doing in this case. I've decided I'm doing this as well. I'm still not completely over my disappointment that they moved the Wine and Dine, but I love the Tower of Terror, and the opportunity to participate in an inaugural event is appealing. I just starting trying to do this back in October. Currently, I've worked up to 20/40 intervals and a few 30/30 intervals mixed in. My pace is right at 16 min/mile. Some days over, some days under. I have my longest run so far coming up this weekend of 4 miles. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I'm pleased with my progress. I feel like I'll be ready.

Any guesses how quickly the race will fill up? I think I have both DH plus a pal on board for ToT, but we have a lot of logistical details to get sorted.

Also, I know this race is technically new, but do you think it will boost park attendance significantly in the week before? I'd been eyeing late September for a trip anyway before finding out about ToT, but low crowds were the main incentive for that...

Yay! I've done several 10k, but this would be a big step up!

Any guesses how quickly the race will fill up? I think I have both DH plus a pal on board for ToT, but we have a lot of logistical details to get sorted.

Also, I know this race is technically new, but do you think it will boost park attendance significantly in the week before? I'd been eyeing late September for a trip anyway before finding out about ToT, but low crowds were the main incentive for that...

Yay! I've done several 10k, but this would be a big step up!

I don't think the race will significantly change the crowd levels the week leading up to the race or even that weekend. Epcot will be busy because the first weekend of Food & Wine always brings out the locals but I don't think the rest of the parks will see much of a spike.

I'm also waiting for the ToT registrations to open. We are forming a team from Studios Central, a site dedicated to all things DHS, and raising money for Give Kids the World. If anyone is interested here are the details.
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/teamstudioscentral/teamstudioscentral
As to the question of how fast it will fill, I'm not sure. I know that there are still spots available for the Princess Half-Marathon this month. Now as it being an inaugural race maybe more people will want to take advantage of that.

I agree. It's very frustrating. Do they usually wait until the day of registration to release all of the details? I'm beginning to think that is what they are doing in this case. I've decided I'm doing this as well. I'm still not completely over my disappointment that they moved the Wine and Dine, but I love the Tower of Terror, and the opportunity to participate in an inaugural event is appealing.
I find it frustrating too! I guess in 10 days they will have to announce some details!

I just starting trying to do this back in October. Currently, I've worked up to 20/40 intervals and a few 30/30 intervals mixed in. My pace is right at 16 min/mile. Some days over, some days under. I have my longest run so far coming up this weekend of 4 miles. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I'm pleased with my progress. I feel like I'll be ready.
It's all about going at your own pace! A year ago I couldn't run a mile, and ended up doing 3 5Ks over the summer. I've gotten lazy, but ready to get back in action for this one!

I will confess I have also been stalking the website waiting for more details.
Also will add in we booked hotel already, just hoping that it will be one of the host hotels, and the CM said are you sure there is a running event, all we have listed is one at Disneyland. Guess they haven't even shared info with the CM yet:confused3

Well I'm looking forward to a new course and new experience from Run Disney. The running bug has since bitten one of my sons and I hope to encourage him to run the ToT as his first race with me. Then on to the full in January!

Add me to the list of those who've been stalking the RunDisney site. I understand them not releasing the course just yet, but they could at least let us know how much registration is going to cost.

Yes, I'm also checking the runDisney site every few days!

10 more days! I understand registration opens on Feb 14! :yay:
I've already paid for a Toronto Half Marathon 2wks later.

After a nasty Wednesday hill training run in slushy greasy snow, I'm so looking forward to icefree & snowfree running! Come on late May!:woohoo:

We are eagerly awaiting the info too! Really looking forward to getting the details and I'm already starting to plan my outfit.

I think I've been talked into do this one. The twisting of my arm was very difficult.:goodvibes

Right now there will be three of us.

Three of us will be coming over from TX for this race. We're all excited as it'll be the first Disney race for each of us.

One question: if you aren't staying at a host hotel (but are staying at another WDW resort) can you still get transportation to packet pickup and back to your resort after the race/after party?

Three of us will be coming over from TX for this race. We're all excited as it'll be the first Disney race for each of us.

One question: if you aren't staying at a host hotel (but are staying at another WDW resort) can you still get transportation to packet pickup and back to your resort after the race/after party?

We stayed at a non-host resort for Wine & Dine and this is how we did it...saturday morning for packet pick up and the expo we just took a cab to WWoS. This seemed so much easier and less time consuming than trying to figure out how many busses we would need to take to where to get to a host hotel and then take another bus from there to the expo. As for getting to the start area of the race, it was a little easier since it was a night race and normal park busses were running. Busses were picking up runners that drove their own vehicles in one of the Epcot parking lots, so we just took our normal resort bus to Epcot, walked over to the parking area where the race busses were and hopped on one to the race starting area. It was simple and we had no issues whatsoever. I later read that traffic got to be pretty terrible and others that did this barely made it in time or arrived late. I leave myself PLENTY of time for stuff like this and am normally earlier than I need to be...but also normally miss out on the anxiety and stress of being late, missing the start and having to run to my corral. After the race, we hung around the after party for a bit but when we were ready to leave we asked a CM to point us in the direction of a cab line and took that route back to our hotel...there werwe plenty of cabs waiting there for runners and we got right into one.

There's finally more info posted for the ToT 10 miler on the runDisney site!

It looks like no running thru Animal Kingdom :( Oh well, glad we have some more information before the registration opens.

In case you don't want to go all the way over to the Run Disney site, here are the Host Resorts:

Disney Value Resorts
Packages start as low as $214 per person for a two night stay.*
* Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
* Disney's All-Star Music Resort
* Disney's All-Star Sports Resort

Disney Moderate Resorts
Packages start as low as $259 per person for a two night stay.*
* Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
* Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

Disney Deluxe Resorts
Packages start as low as $458 per person for a two night stay*
* Disney's Beach Club Resort
* Disney's BoardWalk Resort​

Not the resorts I was hoping for. Are these rates really that much cheaper?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter