Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am back to doing cakes at the Contemporary!! Wasn't going to tell everyone yet but I have been reassigned back to the cake department so keep the custom cakes coming our way! Excited to be making magic again for my guest in this special way!

Awesome! I will be calling sometime next week :)

I am back to doing cakes at the Contemporary!! Wasn't going to tell everyone yet but I have been reassigned back to the cake department so keep the custom cakes coming our way! Excited to be making magic again for my guest in this special way!

I might just have to switch up some of our dining plans. This is wonderful news. :yay:

I ordered a wedding cake for our wedding next month (May 30th)
I've sent emails back and forth at the beginning of April about it, and lastly an email to finalize everything (GF Bakery). I had some specific questions and wanted a confirmation. She told me she needed to have everything finalized by April 15th. I haven't heard back from her since April 8th. Is this normal? I've even sent her a follow up email and nothing?

You still have some time, but if it's making you feel anxious, definitely call the number in Post #2 of this thread. :thumbsup2

So I sent an email to the Contemporary on Friday with what I was looking for, along with pictures and a possible budget, and I received a reply from Chef Brian on Sunday. I had known the prices would be a little higher than what I would normally find at home, so I over-budgeted, hoping his quote would come in lower, but it didn't.

I requested a 6", 1-tier round vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream, and buttercream frosting instead of fondant. My daughter loves Frozen, and what I was sort of looking for were the sides of the cake to be decorated with snowflakes, as well as a picture of Anna & Elsa on there with some frosting detail around them. Then on the top of the cake, have a few 3D snowflakes and the birthday message on top.

He quoted me $90.00, which was only $10 over the budget I had given him, but I was hoping it would actually be a little lower since I nixed the fondant and stuck with simple flavors. It's no biggie if this is what I have to pay for the cake since my daughter only turns 5 years old once, but would it be rude of me to email him back and ask how much the cake would cost without the 3D snowflakes on top? Or would it even make that much of a pricing difference?

What do you mean by they cannot do 2 themes? I was thinking of ordering a 4th of July/fireworks inspired cake but I was hoping they could "sneak" in everyone's favorite character somewhere on the cake. Timothy Mouse for DH, Stitch for DS, Olaf for DD and a simple Mickey head for me. Is that considered different themes and therefore not possible?

It's no biggie if this is what I have to pay for the cake since my daughter only turns 5 years old once, but would it be rude of me to email him back and ask how much the cake would cost without the 3D snowflakes on top? Or would it even make that much of a pricing difference?

It's not rude to ask for more information. He can tell you what in your list of requirements is driving the price up and what would help lower it. :thumbsup2

What do you mean by they cannot do 2 themes? I was thinking of ordering a 4th of July/fireworks inspired cake but I was hoping they could "sneak" in everyone's favorite character somewhere on the cake. Timothy Mouse for DH, Stitch for DS, Olaf for DD and a simple Mickey head for me. Is that considered different themes and therefore not possible?

Disney has complicated sets of rules surrounding which characters can be seen together and in what environments, but the enforcement of these rules seems to vary by cast member. So your best bet is to ask at the place where you want your cake to see what they'd be willing to do.

It's not rude to ask for more information. He can tell you what in your list of requirements is driving the price up and what would help lower it. :thumbsup2

Thanks. I just know they go out of their way to do these cakes, and I didn't want to come off as a pain in the butt. I'll go ahead and see what he says.

Disney has complicated sets of rules surrounding which characters can be seen together and in what environments, but the enforcement of these rules seems to vary by cast member. So your best bet is to ask at the place where you want your cake to see what they'd be willing to do.

That is good to know. We want the cake at Narcoossee's dinner on 7/3 so I will be dealing with the GF Bakery. I need to get that call made and see what they can do. Never thought there would be a problem with mixing characters.

I have never ordered a cake before and want to do something special for the kids on arrival day this trip. I have been lurking through these threads for quite some time and am about 40 days out from our trip. I called yesterday and spoke with Maria at the Y/BC. I'm looking for a single layer (6" or 8") mad hatter style fondant, but not mad hatter style cake (hope that makes sense). I want the colors to be traditional Mickey and Minnie, red, black, white, and yellow. Then I wanted four of the little mousekeeter hats on the top, one for each of my children. She said she didn't think they did the little hats at that bakery. Does anyone have any insight on this, or ideas for a different decoration on top. It's just a welcome to the world cake, no real celebrations. Also, she asked about my budget and I said I would like to stay around $150. Am I being realistic or should I increase my budget.

Since you're not asking for a Mad Hatter shaped cake, I think $150 is plenty for an 8-inch cake and super-generous for a 6-inch one. I don't think I've ever seen the mouse ear toppers on a BoardWalk Bakery cake, but I'll be interested to hear whether they can get them for you.

Hi,all! So I just placed my order with Poly cake line, for my Katie's 14th birthday cake. We loved Meag's cake in March (stitch cake), but Katie insists on the custard with strawberries, so we were required to stick with someplace served by GF. I was told they will do in 8 inch cake with the custard filling, though I believe page 1 here says 10 inch or larger. She wants a chocolate cake with the custard and fruit, whipped cream frosting (no fondant, she loves the look but HATES the stuff and thinks it is pointless to peel it off). She wanted Frozen themed, which I was told costs $15 extra, and I was completely fine with! I didn't give any extra detail, as I am fine with them using their discretion, but realized after I phoned that I didn't mention that it was for a teen. Should I call them back and advise of that or do you think it will be "grownup" enough anyway? She's really only into Frozen and Peter Pan right now of everything Disney (well, and Spiderman who is Marvel so technically Disney).

Another quick ?...when I spoke with Maria two days ago she said they would e-mail me ideas and gave me their e-mail address so that I could send photos of the mousketeer hats I wanted. When exactly should I e-mail them, or should I wait for them to contact me first?

Cool I hope you'll still be there in October cause we're doing dinner at the Contemporary for our 10th anniversary and I have some ideas for a cake. :)

How have cakes from Contemporary been lately now that Chef Bryan isn't there?

He did our amazing Mary Poppins cake 2 years ago and then I got a cake last summer done by contemporary. It was simple, but I honestly wasn't all that impressed. so... I'm just wondering where to order the cake this year lol.

I just ordered my DD18's graduation cake from Pat at GF a few days ago. We'll be dining at Narcoosee's for our last meal before we hit the road driving back home that night. I ordered her a Frozen theme as well that will have Congratulations, Class of 2014 with her name. It's a 10 inch chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling (adding fresh raspberries into the mousse was an extra $30 :eek:) and fondant icing. Since I haven't seen many designs for the Frozen theme yet, Pat said it would come with snowflakes, the characters and the castle on top for $129. (even though I'm considering changing the fondant to butter cream icing but not sure yet) We ordered a cake for 1900 Park Faire during our 2008 trip and it was great. Our last cake during our 2012 trip was from Chef Brian when we dined at CG and she wanted a Princess Tiana cake with New Orleans theme and it too was pretty fabulous. I'm hoping that this one turns out as great as the others we've had.

Just in case this info is helpful to anyone, I am in the process of ordering a cake for a dinner in a few weeks at Liberty Tree Tavern in MK. I don't think I'm going with a mini cake, but I received this email about them this morning. I had asked for red velvet. I'll update later to share what I end up ordering!

"This is available in chocolate or vanilla and usually serves just 1-2 people. We can decorate this with either Mickey Ears, Princess Minnie Ears or flowers in the color of your choice and it can be personalized with up to 4 words. The cost is $35.00 plus tax and gratuity. Please see attached pictures for examples. If you’d like this cake, we need the following information:

Your confirmation number

What flavor cake you’d like (chocolate or vanilla), however we can do red velvet for you for an additional $5.00

What kind of icing you’d like (chocolate buttercream or vanilla buttercream)

What kind of filling you’d like (chocolate buttercream, vanilla buttercream, dark chocolate mousse or white chocolate mousse)

What style you’d like (Mickey Ears, Princess Minnie Ears or flowers)

Any color(s) you would like us to incorporate

How you would like the platter personalized (up to 4 words)"

And these pictures were attached:

MickeyEars.jpg

PrincessMinnie.jpg

Flowers.jpg

Just in case this info is helpful to anyone, I am in the process of ordering a cake for a dinner in a few weeks at Liberty Tree Tavern in MK. I don't think I'm going with a mini cake, but I received this email about them this morning. I had asked for red velvet. I'll update later to share what I end up ordering!

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I had a Belle-themed mini wedding cake last Fall delivered to BOG and I had to go back and forth a few times via email to get it squared away. A standard initial email like this to get the ball rolling would have been very helpful.

Love the princess Minnie ears!!! Is it wrong to order my own birthday cake and let my DH "surprise" me with it?

Thanks again!

Another quick ?...when I spoke with Maria two days ago she said they would e-mail me ideas and gave me their e-mail address so that I could send photos of the mousketeer hats I wanted. When exactly should I e-mail them, or should I wait for them to contact me first?

I'd email them the photos and follow up with a call if you don't hear back.

How have cakes from Contemporary been lately now that Chef Bryan isn't there?

He is back. :thumbsup2

(even though I'm considering changing the fondant to butter cream icing but not sure yet) .

Just wanted to be sure you knew that there is buttercream under the fondant, so if it's just a taste thing, there's no reason not to get fondant. If you prefer the look or lower price of buttercream, that's a different story. :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to see they've expanded the minicake designs and flavors at the Magic Kingdom and have updated Post #2 accordingly.

"This is available in chocolate or vanilla and usually serves just 1-2 people. We can decorate this with either Mickey Ears, Princess Minnie Ears or flowers in the color of your choice and it can be personalized with up to 4 words. The cost is $35.00 plus tax and gratuity. Please see attached pictures for examples. If you’d like this cake, we need the following information:

Your confirmation number

What flavor cake you’d like (chocolate or vanilla), however we can do red velvet for you for an additional $5.00

What kind of icing you’d like (chocolate buttercream or vanilla buttercream)

What kind of filling you’d like (chocolate buttercream, vanilla buttercream, dark chocolate mousse or white chocolate mousse)

What style you’d like (Mickey Ears, Princess Minnie Ears or flowers)

Any color(s) you would like us to incorporate

How you would like the platter personalized (up to 4 words)"

Thanks for the info. Do you know who I would email about these cakes?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter