Official Breast Feeding Support Thread for WDW Parks

So I tried nursing in my Ergo today for the first time and it was VERY awkward. I couldn't seem to get the hang of it. Hopefully it just takes practice? My DS is so used to laying his head to the side to nurse, so that was what he kept trying to do.
Hmm... Maybe if the hood was on and it was a bit looser? Would that cradle his noggin enough to let him hold it to the side? But I second practicing:goodvibes

I think a ring sling is always going to be your best best bed for carrying on your hip.
I am looking into the Sakura Bloom RS & the Ergo Sport now. I am worried about the SB RS. I am not sure about the single vs double linen. I have a 20 lb babe so....? By July he could be 25lb. THought the Ergo Sport would be great for the hot july days. I do love the look of the Chicken Sratch RS. I like that they come in different sizes.

Have you seen these? http://www.moboleez.com/ This might solve your nursing in the summer dilemma. Plus keep you baby's head/face out of the sun.[/QUOTE]
I LOVE these! I am ordering 2! THey will be great around the pool this summer at swim meets & soccer games. I love that it is also keeping the sun off the baby without making them too hot under a blanket!! Thanks!

Hmm... Maybe if the hood was on and it was a bit looser? Would that cradle his noggin enough to let him hold it to the side? But I second practicing:goodvibes

I had it pretty loose and maybe that was the problem. I really had to hold him in a very uncomfortable position. I would have been more comfortable to walk and hold him cradle style. But practice is the name of the game and I have 3 months to figure it out.

I am looking into the Sakura Bloom RS & the Ergo Sport now. I am worried about the SB RS. I am not sure about the single vs double linen. I have a 20 lb babe so....? By July he could be 25lb. THought the Ergo Sport would be great for the hot july days. I do love the look of the Chicken Sratch RS. I like that they come in different sizes.

We looked at all of the Ergos and found that the Organic one actually was the more lightweight one and seemed as though it would breathe better than the Sport.

I could never get the hang of nursing in any sort of sling/carrier (and I bought a lot of different ones). Every time DD would scream bloody murder.

also, i had to loosen up the ergo a bit so he'd sit a little lower down - his head would then be a little more level to the b*0b. took a bit of practice. keep trying! makes it very easy when you're online or if baby is very cranky in an enclosed space!!

I think a ring sling is always going to be your best best bed for carrying on your hip.

I was just about to send you over to thebabywearer.com but when I pulled up the forum for ring slings I see you already posted about the SB! LOL!

I have a psling, which I am totally in LOVE with! I got it on that websites FSOT board. I carry my 19lb baby in it all the time. I didn't love the SB shoulder(gathered) it's too wide on my narrow body and I felt I had NO range of motion.

Just got back. I nursed 15 mo old DS on a bench across from Tiana's Garden Glen, on Maelstrom and PoTC, on the monorail, on a Disney bus, and numerous other places around The World.

I only have one picture, but I need to edit it. No, not because it's revealing. It's just shot at an extremely unflattering angle (by my DH who was sitting on the ground) so that my legs are in the foreground and look HUGE, LOL!

I saw at least two other moms BFing. One was on a bench at the top of the escalator above Sunshine Seasons, near the Garden Grill. Another was in the Pinocchio Village Haus, trying to nurse a very tiny baby under one of those fabric drapes.

Well that moboleez is the cutest thing. I love it.

For all posters.............I will be taking a 6 week old to Disney in Dec and I hope to be breast feeding. What would be the best way to breast feed the little one without really being noticed. I would like to just be able to breast feed where ever with out having to stop really. What type of sling would be best for this? Any help is much appreciated. I am not a baby wearing person..........did not with my other 2. But then again we never went on any vacations when they were that small. TIA

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my baby K'tan (http://www.babyktan.com/), so does my DH actually :)

Ordered my Ergo this morning. Here's hoping it arrives before we leave Wednesday afternoon. :scared1:

I almost went with the beco because it's prettier and less bulky, but I was afraid that since it has partial paneling that goes between baby and me it would be more tricky to BF in.

I got it from a website that offers a 90 day money back guarantee so if I don't like it I can get my money back! :thumbsup2

One week left before our trip. :banana::banana::banana:

I have never really breastfed with any sort of sling or coverup. I don't think we've ever been a spectacle! Sometimes I will use a blanket if I sense the people I'm with are uncomfortable, but I wouldn't do that to the discomfort of my child. In Florida? Not if it's hot.

I have 3 girls, all have been breastfed at WDW. My youngest is 3 and so my bf days are behind me. But I just thought I'd share a photo since I didn't see a lot.

This is me & my second girl in the judges tent back when there was no tink to pull away the lines so this was the longest line we were in that day. I wanted her to be in a great mood to meet Mickey so my family (there were a lot of us) kinda shielded the area & I ducked in this little corner. Quite private & lovely.

The great part though was our Mickey told us with hand gestures that s/he had a baby girl a similar age & held her even though Mickey's handlers didn't really like the idea. It is one of my very favorite WDW memories ever. I swear inside Mickey was crying a bit. Thank you to all the special Mickey Mouses! :love::love:

Also, I have an Ergo that I adore. We still use it from time to time. I had had a Baby Bjorn old style I loved with my first two but with the third we got an Ergo & hiked all over Yellowstone. I was a convert & remain one.

Anyway, thanks for letting me pop on here & share good memories!
I've now moved on to seeing how many times I can ride Everest with the 9 year old! Far cry from my bf days but just as fun ;)

It has been a while for me since I last breastfed at WDW. My youngest will be 7 soon! But I loved the babycare centers and the quiet rides! On the Liberty Belle, I nursed in the Captains Room, but it was hot in there (I like hot, so it didn't bug me!)

Well, I am now pregnant with baby #3 (I know, huge age difference) but DH really wanted one more:goodvibes. So our new baby will go on our January trip and he should be about 4 months old! I am so glad that the babycare centers are still around!

Not so huge-ds12 will be 13 in July:scared1:, and I have dd10. Katie just turned 1 last week. My dh had been begging for one more for 9 yrs, and I decided to give it a try before I got too old.

I nursed ds12 for 18 mos, and dd10 for 4 days (due to some serious health problems, I had to go on meds and wean her). I have so much enjoyed nursing a new little one, with no complications!

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I nursed DS#1 on his first trip at 9 months. We nursed in all the parks, the BCC, the bus stop areas, the Grand Floridian right outside the elevators on the 2nd floor (we weren't staying there), and wherever else the mood struck him. We even nursed while we were in line for the Nemo ride. That is a great place because the line area is actually dark and cool and the ride was really easy to board even with him nursing!

My favorite 2 nursing stories of the moment:

1. We had just left AK and I sat on a bench to nurse DS as he was getting tired and cranky. No sooner had he really settled into nursing than we see our bus approaching. I didn't want to have to wait for another bus (and thankfully it was not crowded), so I threw my RS across the important areas and we boarded the bus while nursing. I don't think anyone ever noticed.

2. We were on our flight to Orlando. DS was sharing a seat with me and I was worried about the pressure on his ears since this was his first flight. So, as soon as possible after take off I let him start nursing. He pretty much nursed himself to sleep, but everytime I tried to take him off he'd start to stir and try to latch back on. It was so easy to just hold him and let him doze off that I left him that way....from DFW to MCO!

We usually had a very light weight blanket to throw over my shoulder while I nursed. Just made me more comfortable and didn't bother either of my DSs. I never noticed anybody looking at me one way or the other, but I wasn't ever worried about what others were thinking anyway.

I would have nursed DS#2 at WDW on our trip when he was 5 months, but he got sick and he and I had to stay behind while DS#1 and DH went on to meet up with the rest of the family.

And finally...(this thread has made me have all sorts of thoughts that I'm now cramming into one post, so forgive the rambling)...I think it's funny that some of you are worried about showing your tummy while nursing. I have seen people intentionally showing their tummy walking around the parks that's way worse than a BFing mom! ;)

I always make eye contact with a nursing mom and smile and on occasion I have told her what a great job she is doing. We all need support and encouragement and despite all of the research that concludes b/f is best for baby and mom, there is still a lack of education and support, even within the medical community.:)

Not a mother yet, but I think this thread is great! I work for a Breast Oncology program at a major research university, and it's been shown that breastfeeding can reduce the incidence of breast cancer(especially in women under 30)...so tell that to the next person who shoots you a mean look.

2. We were on our flight to Orlando. DS was sharing a seat with me and I was worried about the pressure on his ears since this was his first flight. So, as soon as possible after take off I let him start nursing. He pretty much nursed himself to sleep, but everytime I tried to take him off he'd start to stir and try to latch back on. It was so easy to just hold him and let him doze off that I left him that way....from DFW to MCO!

I did this w/ our DD when she was 11months old on a trip to Mexico. it really does help w/ the ear pressure as they are constantly swallowing. She had no problems w/ her ears at all during landing or takeoff.

Mommypoppins, I hope you enjoy your new Ergo when it comes. We are loving ours!

I think it's funny that some of you are worried about showing your tummy while nursing. I have seen people intentionally showing their tummy walking around the parks that's way worse than a BFing mom! ;)

I have carried six, 8-9+lb babies to term and beyond in my little 5'3" frame in the last 9 years. My belly has no business showing. LOL! I wish I didn't even have to look at it. :sick:

I have a funny breast milk story from WDW. On our first trip we had 3 kids. Our youngest was 5 months. brought my pump with me so I could pump in the morning and bring a couple bottles for emergency situations. I wasn't as comfortable nursing anywhere back then. Well one day on the way back from a park we loaded a bus and in doing so a bottle was folded up in the bottom of the stroller. Well the only thing worse than being uncomfortable about nursing in public is your breast milk spilling all over a crowded bus! :rotfl: Of course no one else knew it was breast milk, but imagine if they did? lol!

If I may make a suggestion to nursing moms while at the parks...IMO this is something you might NOT want to do. I was at the Magic Kingdom the other day and went in to Mickey's Philharmagic. I sat next to a mother who was holding her little baby. No problem. Once the lights dimmed for the show, she began nursing her baby right there. I have no objection to nursing, or nursing in public. But, I have never been in a situation of having to be right next to a mom nursing and listening to the loud sucking and wet gurgling sounds of the baby nursing...the entire time the show was playing.

I hope I'm not being shallow. I know babies need to nurse and when there's outdoor, or public place noises, you never actually hear the sounds of the baby nursing. There were so many empty rows in the theater. She could have picked a secluded spot, or waited until most of the guests sat in their seats and chose a seat then..half the theater was empty. I know it's normal sounds of nursing, but when you're sort of stuck in your seat until the end of the show, you can't just not hear what's going on a foot away from you. So, my suggestion would be to nurse away in public places moms...just not in Mickey's Philharmagic...unless you have a few seat buffer zone.:thumbsup2

And what's so different between the sucking and swallowing of a breastfeeding infant and one that's drinking out of a bottle. No difference at all! I actually LOVE the sound of a baby nursing. You know all that "liquid gold" is going into them helping them grow and grow! Really, you ought to know better than to post that on a breastfeeding post!

I was nursing my son, who was 9 months old, our last trip and I simply nursed him while wearing him in the Ergo carrier. I never covered with a blanket because the way he was positioned in the Ergo, it just looked like he was sleeping. Loved it!!!

I nursed my 10 month old last week all over the world and had no problems. ONly thing is she is a very distractable baby at the moment, so we had the best luck in dark shows, rides, etc.

I don't, however, recommend the Monsters Inc show as a place to nurse. that darn spotlight.

I nursed on the people mover, haunted mansion, nemo ride at epcot, little mermaid, living with the land, etc. no probs at all.

Baby care centers are nice, too, esp for a break, but they weren't all that convenient for us location-wise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter