Official Breast Feeding Support Thread for WDW Parks

Except for the laptop, LOL!

I was just in a, erm..., discussion with a lady on another message board who thought that all nursing mothers should nurse in the back pew or a private room in church because heaven forbid she have to sit behind that. :confused: I don't know about you ladies, but you'd never know I was nursing my child if you were sitting behind me. You'd probably have to look pretty closely if you were facing me. The conversation was... surreal.

I am like you - I can nurse very discretely. Of course that came with a lot of practice. :)
I always nursed in church and I can't even count the number of times people would come to me wanting to hold the "sleeping" baby - they had NO idea I was nursing. I would never want to do anything to distract form a church service, wouldn't it be more distracting to get up and leave in the middle of the service? :confused:

I nurse DD in church almost every Sunday even though she's just nursed before we left the house. But like a pp said, DD knows I'm trapped when I sit down and it's really the only way to keep her quiet during the service. I can guarantee no body has a clue that that's what we're doing.

I had no support from my in-laws and they were so annoying with their comments that it just made me want to nurse more and longer. I'm striving to "normalize" breastfeeding and make it that much easier for when my daughter grows up and decides to bf her children!!

Anyone else toddler nursing?

We are at 21 months and going strong! Though just this week we have started saving "noolkie" for rest. So naps, bedtime and very mellow snuggle moments. Frankly it is getting HOT down here in south TX and being uncomfortable was making it hard for me to love every nurse

If you are ever flying with your baby and you don't want anyone sitting next to you on the flight - just breast feed with out a cover up while everyone is boarding! :)
Our DD has something like 35 flights under her belt and is a GREAT flier. But on Southwest I either nurse or let her stir herself up for those boarding moments. No one ever chooses to sit next to us, go figure! The second we taxi she nurses and clonks out or spends the trip sweetly chatting up the stewards over our empty row

OMG-single digits! My trip is in 9 days!

I don't know if I posted this, but I'm more concerned about my sister than nursing in the parks. She (and the rest of my family-not dh though!) are very anti-nursing. None of them ever did it, and they just don't seem to understand! She and I are very different all the way around-my kids have all slept with me, pretty much make their own schedules, and we love our nursing time! She put her only son in his crib to cry it out from the first night home from the hospital. And she has always had him on a strict schedule. I've told her that in WDW, we are going to loosen up a bit!

She doesn't understand why I would still be nursing now that Katie is 1. And since we'll be in the same room, she is just going to have to get used to it!

I nurse DD in church almost every Sunday even though she's just nursed before we left the house. But like a pp said, DD knows I'm trapped when I sit down and it's really the only way to keep her quiet during the service. I can guarantee no body has a clue that that's what we're doing.

I had no support from my in-laws and they were so annoying with their comments that it just made me want to nurse more and longer. I'm striving to "normalize" breastfeeding and make it that much easier for when my daughter grows up and decides to bf her children!!

This is me! But it isn't just my in-laws, it is my family, too. I don't know whay I wanted to nurse ds12, at 24 and with no family members who nursed. But I wanted to try, even though they kept telling me it wouldn't work, I would hate it, etc. My grandmother kept him the first 10 mos of his life while I worked, and she would throw out my milk and give him formula! I didn't know that until towards the end. I think the attitude from them is a big part of why I nursed 18 mos.

I intended to do the same with dd10, but almost died when she was 4 days old. I spent several days in ICU while my mil had my kids. And I had to go on powerful meds for several months. I had no choice but to wean her.:guilty:

Part of the reason that I let dh talk me into another baby at my age (35 when pregnant, 36 when I had her) was that I wanted another chance to nurse a baby. And she loves it! (Yes, she is nursing now:rotfl:). I plan to make it to 18 mos with her as well. She has never had formula, and started refusing bottles at 10 mos. She gets milk in a sippy cup at daycare. After this week, I'm off for 9 wks (teacher) so she's going to get all the nursing time she wants!

I'm raising kids who think nursing is a normal healthy act. I don't hide when I nurse at home. And I've had students (high school) ask me about it. They all were curious earlier in the year about the bag that I carried to the bathroom twice a day! I matter of factly told them it was my pump, and honestly answered any questions they asked. I have 2 current students who are expecting this summer, and they have come to me with questions as well. I don't cross any lines with my info, but I also want everyone to know how wonderful it can be!

Anyone else toddler nursing? I am so over this, 26 mo old now. I'm not uncomfortable about it, I'm just soooo ready to be finished (and obviously she's not) and I've tried and tried and trieeeeeed to wean her. DS was so easy, he self-weaned at 15 mo with no effort at all.
Nursing a 2 and a half year old and a 9 month old. It has been the best experience of my life. They are SO close and he(my toddler) is SO sweet to her. But I too am ready for him to be done. I enjoy nursing him, but I only have DH's support and he is pressured by the world and so I am losing his support. :sad2: But my toddler only nursing 1-2 times a day, even though he asks for it more like 6-8 times a day. :rotfl:

I've got some slow weaning tips though, if you're interested.

Yes please!

I'm raising kids who think nursing is a normal healthy act. I don't hide when I nurse at home. And I've had students (high school) ask me about it. They all were curious earlier in the year about the bag that I carried to the bathroom twice a day! I matter of factly told them it was my pump, and honestly answered any questions they asked. I have 2 current students who are expecting this summer, and they have come to me with questions as well. I don't cross any lines with my info, but I also want everyone to know how wonderful it can be!

Yep, my boys think nursing is what everyone should do. One of them in particular is very sensitive to the things I do differently(cloth diaper, baby wearing, natural cleaning products) I hope he marries a sweet woman who has been raised similarly because if she tries to feed his baby "poison" (formula) he isn't gonna stand for that. lol.

My Ergo came yesterday. :cool1: How in the world it came so quick, I do not know. lol. I have to say it's much more comfy than my mei tai(though I still prefer the mei tai for back carrys, which I don't do because I find it uncomfortable) but it's SOOOOOOOO huge and bulky. I might be too small for it. So I'm going to give it a try and use it on our trip and see if I love it, if not I'm returning it and getting a beco. But it was super simple to nurse in. LOVED it! The only thing visible was a little white and only if you were trying to look into the side of the hood. And Ellie loved it, especially nursing in it. She was peaking out the side of the hood watching everything go by while getting her milk on. :lmao:

I say good for you ladies!!!!! I only wish I could have breast fed my daughter longer than I did. I loved everything about it but for several different reasons we had to stop when she was just 4MONTHS old....I missed it so much for a long time. It is the most beautiful bonding experience in the world.

And for those against it.....HELLO, that's what they are there for!!!!!

My nursing days are long past me - my oldest is 8 next month, and my youngest is 5 - but I nursed my first to 18 months, and my second to almost 30 months - and we nursed through many WDW holidays. I nursed through the parks, and yes, I did notice more "anti-nursing" looks and comments in the US than here in Canada, but not as bad as other areas in the US.

The more ppl who NIP, the more it becomes common place, and not "weird" or "wrong".

Keep it up ladies!

My grandmother kept him the first 10 mos of his life while I worked, and she would throw out my milk and give him formula! I didn't know that until towards the end.

Oh dear. ((hugs)) It's so hard to do all of that pumping. I would have been furious.

Oh dear. ((hugs)) It's so hard to do all of that pumping. I would have been furious.

I was, but at that point there wasn't much I could do. She said she smelled it and tasted it and thought it was ruined. Ummmmm.....it wasn't meant for you!:scared1:

Nursing a 2 and a half year old and a 9 month old. It has been the best experience of my life. They are SO close and he(my toddler) is SO sweet to her. But I too am ready for him to be done. I enjoy nursing him, but I only have DH's support and he is pressured by the world and so I am losing his support. :sad2: But my toddler only nursing 1-2 times a day, even though he asks for it more like 6-8 times a day. :rotfl:

Yes please!

Yep, my boys think nursing is what everyone should do. One of them in particular is very sensitive to the things I do differently(cloth diaper, baby wearing, natural cleaning products) I hope he marries a sweet woman who has been raised similarly because if she tries to feed his baby "poison" (formula) he isn't gonna stand for that. lol.

My Ergo came yesterday. :cool1: How in the world it came so quick, I do not know. lol. I have to say it's much more comfy than my mei tai(though I still prefer the mei tai for back carrys, which I don't do because I find it uncomfortable) but it's SOOOOOOOO huge and bulky. I might be too small for it. So I'm going to give it a try and use it on our trip and see if I love it, if not I'm returning it and getting a beco. But it was super simple to nurse in. LOVED it! The only thing visible was a little white and only if you were trying to look into the side of the hood. And Ellie loved it, especially nursing in it. She was peaking out the side of the hood watching everything go by while getting her milk on. :lmao:

I'm 5'2" and about 125lbs and the Ergo fits great on me. Did you get organic? I bought mine used and it was nice and broken in. Once you get a few miles on it, it should soften up and seem less bulky!! I hope it works out for you. We love the Ergo. In fact DD was trying to do back flips out of it tonight while we were in Target. We were doing the back carry and she was shopping on the clearance rack behind me! :rotfl:

Oh and december, I'd have killed somebody if they dumped out all of my liquid gold. Sadly though it DOES sound like something my in-laws would do. I can just imagine them saying "It didn't look right, there was creamy stuff on the top and looked like water on the bottom" um it's called separation of the milk fat...shake it and it's all good.

Hello All!

What a great thread - hoping I can join you?

We are travelling to WDW from England in Sept for first family holiday and DS will be 13 months and probably still be bfing.

I wasn't too sure whether it was 'allowed' or not - I didn't want to make a cultural **** (pun intended :rotfl:) and offend anyone so it's good to know there are other nursing mamas out there :goodvibes

Can I just ask if it's OK to bf at a sitdown restaurant. We will be on DDP so have several table meals planned - chances are we won't need to but would be glad to hear anyone's experiences popcorn::

I totally agree with the need to 'normalize' bfing. I was lucky when DD was born as both my elder sisters had nursed 3 children so it was very normal and natural. We women definitely need to learn how to support each other and make it the 'normal' choice.

Byee!!

By FL law you have the right to breastfeed your baby anywhere! Be discrete, but don't let anyone make you feel bad about feeding your baby.

The laws are pro-breastfeeding in MS, too. Dh is parks director, and before this baseball season started ds12 asked me not to nurse the baby at his games. I told him that if she was hungry she would have to eat. Dh made a crack about calling the cops on his own wife. I had to inform my own husband that he would be embarrassed if he did so, because I had the legal right to feed her anywhere! He had no idea. I guess it is better that I told him, and he didn't find out from a less friendly mama!:rotfl:

Hello All!

Can I just ask if it's OK to bf at a sitdown restaurant. We will be on DDP so have several table meals planned - chances are we won't need to but would be glad to hear anyone's experiences popcorn::

Byee!!

I do. If a baby can have a bottle at a restaurant, than a baby can breastfeed. :thumbsup2

I fed Everett at sit-down restaurants at WDW, and I didn't get any weird looks or comments. I think most people would rather have a baby breastfeeding than screaming at the table.

The only problem is that I have to have DH cut up my food! ;)

Has anyone ever tried using these baby bonds (formerly known as slurp and burp) http://babybondnursing.com/main/ I'm thinking of getting one because DS is getting to the age where the nursing cover is more interesting than the nursing itself. I'm still not the best at discrete public nursing, so I'd like some sort of help, but its getting so darn hot and with DS pulling on the cover, I'm ready to try something new.

Thanks for the replies - good to know!

Also - thanks for those who've posted pics on the thread - such gorgeous babies (and mums!).

CandleontheWater - the pic of your babe in sling with Mickey ears is the cutest thing I've seen in ages :goodvibes

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I definitely wouldn't recommend cold-turkey. It's hard on both baby and mama. For you, it would increase your chances of getting mastitis, and can really throw off your hormones, if you're sensitive to hormone fluctuation (I'm PCOS, so I am!). I've got some slow weaning tips though, if you're interested.

Yes, I was joking - I would welcome some weaning suggestions gladly!!

Hello All!

What a great thread - hoping I can join you?

We are travelling to WDW from England in Sept for first family holiday and DS will be 13 months and probably still be bfing.

I wasn't too sure whether it was 'allowed' or not - I didn't want to make a cultural **** (pun intended :rotfl:) and offend anyone so it's good to know there are other nursing mamas out there :goodvibes

I totally agree with the need to 'normalize' bfing. I was lucky when DD was born as both my elder sisters had nursed 3 children so it was very normal and natural. We women definitely need to learn how to support each other and make it the 'normal' choice.

Byee!!

I nursed at a couple of sitdowns and it was fine as far as looks, etc. Didn't really work out so well at the character meals, though, because dd was so distracted by the characters.

Some restaurants seemed pretty crowded to me, so it was harder to nurse there just due to the lack of space.

Talk about 'normalize' bfing - One of my favorite Bfing memories is when I would bf the baby, my oldest daughter (3 yrs old at the time) sitting next to me bfing her baby doll! :)

Thanks for the replies - good to know!

Also - thanks for those who've posted pics on the thread - such gorgeous babies (and mums!).

CandleontheWater - the pic of your babe in sling with Mickey ears is the cutest thing I've seen in ages :goodvibes

Thanks Eeyore! I've always thought he was super cute, but I might be a little biased ;)

Talk about 'normalize' bfing - One of my favorite Bfing memories is when I would bf the baby, my oldest daughter (3 yrs old at the time) sitting next to me bfing her baby doll! :)

rose- thats awesome! She is starting off on the right track! I wonder if there are any statistics about how many breastfed daughters grow up to breastfeed their babies. My mother breastfed all her children, so growing up it seemed like the most normal thing in the world, and when I had my own child, I never considered doing anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter