Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

Oh boy you guys have been busy. Trying to catch up.
Beast pacing??? Thinking Pixie pacing would be better for the races don't you think???

:tinker: It's Fairy Friday! :tinker:

In which I blatantly steal the "Sundays Are For Disney"/"QOTD" ideas from other threads here in the runDisney section! :teeth:

We are 9 Fridays away from Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend, so to keep us chatting/sharing ideas, I thought I'd post a question each Friday that we can discuss! Questions are about Disneyland Resort and/or the Tinker Bell Races!

9 weeks to go, Pixies...Happy Fairy Friday! :tinker:

Question of the Week: ADR day is this coming week for most (all?) of us! What ADRs are you making, if any? What other planning items do you need to check off of your list? For first-timers that have only been to WDW, keep in mind that Disneyland ADRs work differently: they are 60 days out, and you can only do one day at a time, not your entire stay like you can at WDW. I also highly recommend at least making ADRs for Sunday of that weekend, if you want them, since that is Mother’s Day - the biggest eating out day of the year!

----------------------------------------------------

My answer: Okay, so - definitely doing a post-race brunch at both Steakhouse 55 and Carnation Cafe. I freaking love brunch. :yay: Also going to give Carthay Circle another shot for dinner one night (I tried it last December and liked it, but remember thinking the portion sizes were small. But I LOVE the atmosphere of that place). The one new-to-me meal will be dinner at Steakhouse 55 - again, love the atmosphere here. Really looking forward to that! I think that's it for ADRs for me...not 100% sure yet.

Other trip items - um, basically everything. :faint: I need to pay off my room (it's like 75% paid for at this point), buy park tickets (may just wait until I get to DL to buy them) and figure out my transportation from the airport to DLR...either SuperShuttle or Uber or something else. The only things I have completely done are race registrations and flights! :eek: Eek!!

Last edited:

Fairy Friday!!! YAY!!!

So, ADR plans are for a dinner at Blue Bayou. I've read it's probably overpriced for the food you get, but I just really want to try eating inside PoTC, but also thinking of doing this for a lunch instead. Dinner at Steakhouse 55 another night. Breakfast at Carnation Cafe after running the 10K. I haven't made a final decision about dinner plans on Mother's Day. Thinking about Napa Rose, but we are already going to be spending a TON of money on other ADRs, so the other possibility I'm thinking of is Carthay Circle. Writing that out, maybe I should try to switch up Steakhouse 55 and Carthay Circle. Ugh. I just don't know for sure. I'm planning to hit up @Chris-Mo this weekend to finalize so I'm ready to make the reservations on the designated day.

As for other plans, I need to order our park tickets from the local military base and get our shuttle rides scheduled from the airport. I'm debating about splurging for a private car so that we don't have the delays of a shared ride. Our flight arrives at 8:30 and I want to get to the hotel quickly and drop off bags and head into the park, so I want as much time as possible in the park.

FAIRY FRIDAY! Ok, this topic is completely perfect. I put my Unofficial guide to DL in my purse this morning thinking at lunch I'd write up an email to my Sis to finalize our game plan so that I could start doing the ADRs next week. Awesome timing!

The one for-sure that we want to do is Blue Bayou on Sunday at a lunch type time.

Has anyone had dinner at Wine Country Trattoria in DCA? Wondering if that will be a nice adult-ish place to go on Friday evening? I'd love to do Cove Bar but I don't want to wait in that long line people talk about. The other thought was doing someplace in DL hotel post-expo going that evening. Hrrmmmmmmm???
And I was thinking maybe Riverbelle Terrace on Saturday for dinner to get some chicken prior to my half the next day? Anyone have good pre-big race, easy on the stomach, protein filled places in DL?

I'm also going to eat my weight in corndogs, but those don't need an ADR :)

I'm really enjoying the Fairy Friday countdown! The only ADR I'm planning is Blue Bayou on Mother's Day (a request from mom). She hasn't been there since 1986.
It looks like this will be a good place to get ideas for other restaurants.

I wasn't going to do any ADRs, but now that my mom is traveling to spectate the races while I run, I'll probably try to get us into Napa Rose for a dinner, the place in DL with the amazing Monte Cristo sandwiches for a lunch, and may shoot for a World of Color dessert party one evening. It's only been about a year since I've been to DL, but mom has only been once and that was probably a decade ago.

Question of the Week: ADR day is this coming week for most (all?) of us! What ADRs are you making, if any? What other planning items do you need to check off of your list? For first-timers that have only been to WDW, keep in mind that Disneyland ADRs work differently: they are 60 days out, and you can only do one day at a time, not your entire stay like you can at WDW. I also highly recommend at least making ADRs for Sunday of that weekend, if you want them, since that is Mother’s Day - the biggest eating out day of the year!

The only ADR I want is the Grand Californian Buffet Breakfast post half marathon. I am so excited to earn my half medal and two C2C.... with hopefully a PR :)

Has anyone had dinner at Wine Country Trattoria in DCA?
I'm a Disneyland local and can answer any food questions you have. Wine Country is a great place for adults and isn't terribly priced for what you get. Good amounts of food portions, food is fresh and the wine is nicely priced for Disney. I find the food quality to be better at California Adventure than Disneyland and the hotels are phenomenal.

Please note: Food menus may be slightly different than what is posted online due to Race Weekend. Steakhouse 55 and others are notorious for changing the menu for runners -- and it's less portions for more price :(

@HockeyMomNH @bananabean Thank you for your input on adding pockets; I really appreciate it!

ADRs: Since DH is not a huge Disney person (he affectionately refers to me as his Disney Dork), we are only doing one day in the parks - probably on Friday after the 5k to give us the most park time and not wear out my legs between the 10k and half.
I've been told if I can only choose one, do Blue Bayou. Unless others have a different opinion if you can only pick one place?

Other plans: buy park tickets, book sitter for the furbabies, & costumes... I think that's it? :scratchin

What time would be good for an ADR in DL after the 10k? Could we make a 10 am? Staying at Best Western Park Place.
Also debating whether it would be better to get park hoppers or to spring for a 3rd park day. On our third day our flight out of SNA is at 2:30 (I assume we'd have to leave by 1?)

What time would be good for an ADR in DL after the 10k? Could we make a 10 am? Staying at Best Western Park Place.
Also debating whether it would be better to get park hoppers or to spring for a 3rd park day. On our third day our flight out of SNA is at 2:30 (I assume we'd have to leave by 1?)

The 10K starts at 530, with the last corral starting at around 615. Figure at least 2 hours, so you'd be fine post-race at around 830. :)

What day are you looking for a park day? Will this impact your half marathon???

As for the flight, what day are you leaving? If your flight is at 2:30 you'll be boarding at 2pm. I would definitely leave no later than 1130-12pm. It can be about 20-30 mins to SNA, plus security.

The half would be on our Day 2, so not worried about that too much.
Our flight out is on Monday.

Yea..... Fairy Friday !!!!

Our plans so far....After the expo head over to Marri's Italian Rest. off property and love the food. Need ADR for Carnation Café for Sat. and Blue Bayou for dinner on Sunday, celebrating Mother's Day and the 1/2. And I WILL be getting dessert after all those miles.

Special after race treat will be one of those Mickey Mouse specialty caramel apples.

Happy Fairy Friday! We have reservations (along with CaliforniaGirl09 and her family) for a post-race Mother's Day brunch at Catal in Downtown Disney. They aren't on the ADR system, so I made a reservation on OpenTable weeks ago. My family did this after last year's Tink, and they do a really nice Mother's Day brunch. For ADRs, I want to do the Blue Bayou dining package for the Main Street Electrical Parade for my family on Fri. night. Not sure if this is going to open up at 60 days because it will depend on whether the show schedules have also been released. We are possibly going to do the Princess lunch at Ariel's on Saturday with CaliforniaGirl09 and family, so will need an ADR for that. And we plan to do our pre-race dinner at Tortilla Jo's in Downtown Disney, so that is on the ADR list as well. Other than that, our plans are all taken care of, including flights, hotel ressies and park tix. I'm also waiting for my costume to arrive.....

I'm hoping for a MSEP Blue Bayou ADR on Sunday. I don't usually splurge on such things except for special occasions, but I'm trying to convince my mom it's a good idea for a combo Mother's Day/Birthday Weekend dinner. Plus I have such strong memories from 1996 seeing MSEP with my mom when I was 11. I would like to have a good viewing spot to see it with her.

I might maybe do a Plaza Inn for Saturday morning. Possibly. My stomach may not be okay with it, though. Or I've never done Goofy's. That might be fun post race instead of MSEP package (my stomach will rebel if I try to do two big meals in one day).

Also considering a Cafe Orleans for Sunday if I don't do the MSEP Blue Bayou.

Basically I still have a lot to consider, haha!

Has anyone had dinner at Wine Country Trattoria in DCA? Wondering if that will be a nice adult-ish place to go on Friday evening? I'd love to do Cove Bar but I don't want to wait in that long line people talk about. The other thought was doing someplace in DL hotel post-expo going that evening. Hrrmmmmmmm???
And I was thinking maybe Riverbelle Terrace on Saturday for dinner to get some chicken prior to my half the next day? Anyone have good pre-big race, easy on the stomach, protein filled places in DL?
Mr. Ariel484 and I ate there in December...I don't remember much about it except that it was great for people-watching and like @courtneybeth said, the prices weren't too bad. I'm glad you brought this one up because I want to try it again! Going on my list.

I don't have a good answer for you for the second question. :(
The only ADR I want is the Grand Californian Buffet Breakfast post half marathon. I am so excited to earn my half medal and two C2C.... with hopefully a PR :)
UM WHAT. I need to look into this!! :hyper:
I've been told if I can only choose one, do Blue Bayou. Unless others have a different opinion if you can only pick one place?
Blue Bayou is definitely good to do at least once! I liked my food there and obviously the atmosphere was pretty cool. :)
I agree that you'll be fine with a 10AM brunch, or maybe earlier!

Personally, I would want to be AT the airport by 1 at the latest...but travel days sort of freak me out so I'd rather be way earlier. :confused3

@Ariel484 - it's the critter breakfast character dining option at storytellers. Best selection of food and it's super fresh. We've never had a bad experience there!!

(Goofys kitchen made me want to barf. Steakhouse 55 will change their menu. So best option by far!)

@Ariel484 - it's the critter breakfast character dining option at storytellers. Best selection of food and it's super fresh. We've never had a bad experience there!!

(Goofys kitchen made me want to barf. Steakhouse 55 will change their menu. So best option by far!)
Ohhhhh. Hmm, I have never tried that one! May need to add it to the list! :scratchin Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter