Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

Honestly, I don't see why what I suggested wouldn't work. MANY races out there offer an option to upgrade a cotton shirt to tech shirt for an added cost. If they just had an option when registering for the Dark Side Half to select a KR t-shirt for added cost that would work. And no merch left over.

Personally, I've never seen that option, but I definitely believe that it exists. You're right, it could work, especially if they thought people were willing to buy the shirts sight unseen. They could do that with other things that sell out quickly too. It just doesn't seem like a path they're likely to take.
And a lot of people don't like to add "extras" when registering because they'd rather spread out the cost. So they would need something available for sale at the expo.

Personally, I've never seen that option, but I definitely believe that it exists. You're right, it could work, especially if they thought people were willing to buy the shirts sight unseen. They could do that with other things that sell out quickly too. It just doesn't seem like a path they're likely to take.
And a lot of people don't like to add "extras" when registering because they'd rather spread out the cost. So they would need something available for sale at the expo.
I don't disagree about having some stuff at the expo. But unless they require proof that you're registered for the race for which you're buying merchandise, that still doesn't help those ACTUALLY RUNNING to get it! And even there, they have to deal with excess merch if they order more than what demand ends up being.

Seems like A LOT of people buy merch for these races sight unseen. I have every time, and the lines to retrieve it are pretty long. :)

I don't disagree about having some stuff at the expo. But unless they require proof that you're registered for the race for which you're buying merchandise, that still doesn't help those ACTUALLY RUNNING to get it! And even there, they have to deal with excess merch if they order more than what demand ends up being.

Seems like A LOT of people buy merch for these races sight unseen. I have every time, and the lines to retrieve it are pretty long. :)

Both excellent points.
I think we can all agree that there are some serious changes that need to be made here so that runners can give their money to runDisney!

I was pretty upset that I couldn't get a Kessel Run pin or a car Magnet. Then my son was cleaning his room and all the pins he collected through the years are just sitting in a pile. That kind of made me realized that this is all just 'stuff' so I am feeling better :-)

I was pretty upset that I couldn't get a Kessel Run pin or a car Magnet. Then my son was cleaning his room and all the pins he collected through the years are just sitting in a pile. That kind of made me realized that this is all just 'stuff' so I am feeling better :-)

Couldn't agree more! The achievement itself, not the stuff, defines the event and the memory of it.

Woowooo just made my 2017 dvc reservation for BWV for next years dark side run!!! Hubby is going to do the challenge and I am going to stick with just the half marathon we have decided. Now to just wait for the early dvc registration day beginning of August !!

Has anyone noticed that runDisney has not updated their website to include next year's Dark Side dates as yet. I only mention because the Tinkerbell link has been. What's up with that?

Yes I noticed that too but feel good that the April 23rd date is correct and August 9 date as the general sign up date because Disney vacation club member site gives those dates in its information for the early sign up perk.

Whew! Thanks, I also called runDisney to see what they said, and they gave me the same date as you and the open registration date of Aug. 9 as well. Wonder why they are taking so long? DS and his DGF are trying to plan on running next year with me and as we're all in different states I just wanted some assurance and confirmation. Thanks so much for responding!

Yes I noticed that too but feel good that the April 23rd date is correct and August 9 date as the general sign up date because Disney vacation club member site gives those dates in its information for the early sign up perk.

Whew! Thanks, I also called runDisney to see what they said, and they gave me the same date as you and the open registration date of Aug. 9 as well. Wonder why they are taking so long? DS and his DGF are trying to plan on running next year with me and as we're all in different states I just wanted some assurance and confirmation. Thanks so much for responding!

RunDisney 2016-2017.jpg

I had come across the runDisney event calendar as well, but when the runDisney website didn't update and skipped on to Tink in 2017, I got a little nervous. As I mentioned since DS, his DGF, and I are all in different states - Florida, New York, & New Jersey respectively, we look forward to doing runs together. As DS and I just did 5 & 10K's during PHM weekend, we decided to up the ante, and figured on next year's Dark Side as that would be the first one we could catch the open registration on for WDW as he lives in Florida and would be the easiest to coordinate schedules with.

Has anyone noticed that runDisney has not updated their website to include next year's Dark Side dates as yet. I only mention because the Tinkerbell link has been. What's up with that?
I noticed it, and I think it's weird and am not convinced the dates are set in stone. Yes, I know the calendar that @opusone posted lists those dates, and it may be what runDisney is saying now, but look what happened with Wine and Dine. The day before early registration was set to open, after details about the 5K were still missing from the website and the half was still being listed as a night race like normal, they delay registration. And a few days later announce the changes to the weekend. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if something's going on behind the scenes and the dates change, especially since we're getting further into April (meaning warmer temperatures) and these dates fall during the week after Easter (meaning schools on Spring Break - including my sister and myself who are teachers). The fact that they skipped over it and have already updated Tink is the biggest red flag to me.

I noticed it, and I think it's weird and am not convinced the dates are set in stone. Yes, I know the calendar that @opusone posted lists those dates, and it may be what runDisney is saying now, but look what happened with Wine and Dine. The day before early registration was set to open, after details about the 5K were still missing from the website and the half was still being listed as a night race like normal, they delay registration. And a few days later announce the changes to the weekend. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if something's going on behind the scenes and the dates change, especially since we're getting further into April (meaning warmer temperatures) and these dates fall during the week after Easter (meaning schools on Spring Break - including my sister and myself who are teachers). The fact that they skipped over it and have already updated Tink is the biggest red flag to me.

I don't disagree that there may be something going on. It could mean some changes are coming, or it could simply be a Disneyland/WDW issue also. Do they use the same race company to manage the races on both coasts? If they use different race management companies, then it could just be that the Disneyland folks are more on the ball, I guess. Only time will tell.

Also, although they did change the W&D event significantly, they still keep it on the same weekend as was planned (just added days to it).

The date given out for next year's Dark Side has already taken Easter into consideration, and PHM Weekend is also adjusted to be held a week later than this past February. I was convinced it was just a glitch until @opusone mentioned the craziness before W&D, now I'm just going to cross my fingers and keep watch.

Agreed. I have a strong suspicion they're mulling this over and considering whether or not to make it a yearly event, what form to take if it continues, how/if the fails can be better managed, etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see changes on this one. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's just a typo and they haven't gotten around to sprucing things up yet. ;)

Agreed. I have a strong suspicion they're mulling this over and considering whether or not to make it a yearly event, what form to take if it continues, how/if the fails can be better managed, etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see changes on this one. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's just a typo and they haven't gotten around to sprucing things up yet. ;)
I agree with this as well. I was shocked when registration opened and everything didn't sell out immediately - weren't they still doing registrations for this one at Princess?

It just seems like they don't need two Star Wars runDisney events...??

Of course, as you have pointed out, they aren't always the best at updating the website in a timely manner...;)

I agree with this as well. I was shocked when registration opened and everything didn't sell out immediately - weren't they still doing registrations for this one at Princess?

It just seems like they don't need two Star Wars runDisney events...??

Of course, as you have pointed out, they aren't always the best at updating the website in a timely manner...;)
The events that sold out were reopened at Princess. They said they changed the course to allow for more runners. But it did eventually sell out. Advengers and Tink both did not sell out and atleast Advengers is back for another year, I think there are rumors Tink might be rethemed. Also they announced the race late (compared to others) I wasn't going to do it at first because I had just signed up for Tink and didn't have the money at the time to shell out for Darkside too. So I think it will do better now that people know about it in advance and it seems a lot of people want that Kessell run medal. Maybe, like others have mentioned before, they don't have the dates locked in since Easter is always on a different date. But I really hope they don't do away with it, I was looking forward to being a legacy runner!

The events that sold out were reopened at Princess. They said they changed the course to allow for more runners. But it did eventually sell out. Advengers and Tink both did not sell out and atleast Advengers is back for another year, I think there are rumors Tink might be rethemed. Also they announced the race late (compared to others) I wasn't going to do it at first because I had just signed up for Tink and didn't have the money at the time to shell out for Darkside too. So I think it will do better now that people know about it in advance and it seems a lot of people want that Kessell run medal. Maybe, like others have mentioned before, they don't have the dates locked in since Easter is always on a different date. But I really hope they don't do away with it, I was looking forward to being a legacy runner!
THIS is a good point! Dark Side was announced LATE!! We're such big SW fans, and were already going Light Side, so we booked a short trip for Dark Side. I could see plenty of people saying "maybe next time" given how late they found out about it.

it seems a lot of people want that Kessell run medal. Maybe, like others have mentioned before, they don't have the dates locked in since Easter is always on a different date. But I really hope they don't do away with it, I was looking forward to being a legacy runner!
+1 on all of this! I was going to go for Kessel Run next year and will be irritated if they don't figure it out by June 7 (Light Side registration for AP/DVC). If no Dark Side, no Kessel Run, no point in going all the way to CA for Light Side (I can only swing 1 CA trip per year).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter