Not Worth Purchasing Resale

Wow, I’ve never heard of this before! How does this work and how can I take advantage of this? I have a March use year.
You buy in the last week of Feb 2022 and you will get 2021 points that can be courtesy banked into your March UY 22. It’s too late to get the extra 2020 points for “free”.

I agree... we were looking for another 150 points ... but AK/Saratoga for $130+? That’s crazy and for not much more I can buy direct which is way simpler and not restricted.

Wow, I’ve never heard of this before! How does this work and how can I take advantage of this? I have a March use year.
It happened to me last year when I bought on the last day of Aug 2020 and asked for a Sept UY. I got double points and paid prorated dues for Sept - Dec. It was a nice pixie dusting. I didn't even know about it until it happened. If I had waited one more day to make the phone call, I would've been out of luck.

Well, real estate prices Are at an all time high with little inventory and bidding wars. While I would not group timeshares in that same real estate category, they are following the same inflated pricing along with little resale inventory. I just read on these boards today resale prices are now selling over asking prices in some situations. Who would have ever thought this would happen post pandemic?

it’s called inflation. $6 trillion of free money dumped into an economy will do that.

I watched BLT go from 128-132 around October-January, and my dumb self said, Nah. Then I stayed at BLT and loved it. After realizing that I can only use the Top of the World Lounge if I'm DVC and on points, I finally found that MARCH UY for too much. Paid 161. Can't believe it got that high. Still, It's better than $245. It's a significant difference. Wonder when my feelings will get hurt if (when) they say I must be on direct points and not resale points for use. My first contract was a 70 pt OKW. Knew nothing about DVC at all. Paid 107 and thought I was the cat's meow for such a deal- the average then was 95 back in June/July. LOL. But, I'm still happy with it. Made sure to also buy direct for blue card at OKW, so that 107 didn't feel so bad. More years direct, but I'm old already. I'm in it for now! Tomorrow is not guaranteed. If it's a few grand, I'm willing to wait and use what I have. Shoots, I'll need that savings for my next set of tickets since I'm that Annual Pass used to be that they don't want because I expired in December 2019. What if I EXPIRE before annual passes return? Well, I hope someone puts one in my coffin. I promise to try to use in as often as I'm allowed to get out.

I don't recall resale advertisement of 40% off? That did used to be DVC's marketing of savings vs cash hotel rooms though wasn't it?

I think it still depends on the resort and it's just a moment in time. It was only 5 months ago that a VGF resale could be gotten for $100 less per point vs direct. It seems like DVC is following right around into the recent real estate frenzy going on all over.

And it will vary by number of points too. Even 50 VGF points could be a $2500 difference vs direct. Make it 250 and I'd think you could get it for $190 or less and that is now $15K +/- savings. So I'd say that yes, resale still can make a lot of sense. Since direct is fixed with no negotiating it makes it pretty easy to compare too and see the difference.
I kept thinking that I remember reading sample % offs somewhere. By accident, I came across it again just now when I went to look for HH direct pricing to compare with that 119 50pt that's been up a while. Maybe the OP was thinking about this.

Attachments

• 1620355474138.png
    1620355474138.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 67

I kept thinking that I remember reading sample % offs somewhere. By accident, I came across it again just now when I went to look for HH direct pricing to compare with that 119 50pt that's been up a while. Maybe the OP was thinking about this.

Oh yes, I've seen that on one of the resale websites.

Thank you for all the info. I will wait until Feb
to add on. These forums are the best source of DVC info!
Be on the lookout for price increases before feb 2022 if you’re planning on this approach. I was “forced” to buy my BLT points earlier than I had planned because I didn’t want to pay another $10 extra per point. 😅

Would love to know from long time watchers what generally happens when there are overall price increases. These now weren't gradual. They jumped in a matter of one to two months.
Here is some data from last few years, big jump in 2018 too, we've not seen a big fall since 2008/09. Small drop last year when no contracts ROFR'd for 3 months.
Prices have gone from rebounding to exploding and this data for 2021 is already very conservative
https://www.disboards.com/threads/purchasing-dvc-analysis.3828292/#post-62745591

I'm glad I've "discovered" DVC in 2012 (yes, discovered, at the time it was Disney's best kept secret :) ). I don't think I would buy right now.

Resale prices have really increased and at what point does it not make sense to purchase resale? Recently I purchased VGF direct because I could not find a contract under 100 points for less than $190-$200/ pt. depending the number of points. I finally purchased at $255/pt. The resale prices have jumped so high I fail to see any savings at this time. The advertising of ” save up to 40% purchasing resale” is simply not true.

With that said, when might direct prices increase?
It all depends on the value you place on the "extras" associated with buying direct. For example, when we bought resale we saved $20k vs buying direct. Even if those savings were now cut down to $15k, or even $10k, would the extras be worth that money? For us, no. We live in NY and visit once a year, so we aren't really candidates for AP. We would never be able to break even from the other extras like discounts on dining and merchandise. The only perk that would give me pause is the ability to stay at future resorts, but the price would have to get closer (like within $5k). Every person is in a different situation and places different value on the extras, so it really comes down to that IMO.

Last edited:
It all depends on the value you place on the "extras" associated with buying direct. For example, when we bought resale we saved $20k vs buying direct. Even if that those savings were now cut down to $15k, or even $10k, would the extras be worth that money? For us, no. We live in NY and visit once a year, so we aren't really candidates for AP. We would never be able to break even from the other extras like discounts on dining and merchandise. The only perk that would give me pause is the ability to stay at future resorts, but the price would have to get closer (like within $5k). Every person is in a different situation and places different value on the extras, so it really comes down to that IMO.
I'm the same as you. We purchased last spring as things were taking forever to pass and nothing was ROFR'd. I got in on Poly at $120pp which was a $30k savings over direct at the time. Now that's shrunk a bit but not by much with the price hike to $250 direct. No amount of dining perks or merch perks would make it worthwhile. And I don't feel like having the stress of trying to time my trips so that I do a trip 11 months apart just so I can take advantage of AP. If we lived closer as opposed to WNY, maybe I'd pay direct for an add-on but only a very small contract at a cheaper resort.

Hell, I think a lot of people on these forums thought they might be able to prey on some hard luck situations of others the past year, only to find that the exact opposite happened in the resale market over time.

I bought both VGF and DIS stock over the summer at market value prices, which I guess you call "preying" on hard luck. I'm happy with both buys.

Prices are so crazy inflated now, I think the DL tower pricing is going to make everyone spit their coffee out.

That's still $60/point, or $6,000 on a 100 point contract. Grand Floridian is also in huge demand. I've seen Aulani contracts for $120/point when direct is $201. I still don't think the direct benefits are worth that much.

I bought both VGF and DIS stock over the summer at market value prices, which I guess you call "preying" on hard luck. I'm happy with both buys.

Prices are so crazy inflated now, I think the DL tower pricing is going to make everyone spit their coffee out.
No, you are not preying on hard luck as you have no idea why the seller is selling! Perhaps the seller was able to pay the mortgage because you bought the contract...who are any of us to judge why someone is selling?

Be on the lookout for price increases before feb 2022 if you’re planning on this approach. I was “forced” to buy my BLT points earlier than I had planned because I didn’t want to pay another $10 extra per point. 😅
How do you know before direct prices increase? Do they send out one of those “buy before May 12th for current pricing“ emails?

Yea my wife and I have been talking about adding another 100 pts at Saratoga Springs for a while now... We waited too long to pull the trigger, now it may make sense just to buy direct (we currently dont have any direct points)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter