Not Worth Purchasing Resale

This thread is too long for me to read all the way through, but if resale ever becomes "not worth it" we all (DVC owners) lose.

The ease of resale and relatively strong resale values (relative to traditional timeshares) make DVC more attractive and valuable. This is a long-term commitment, and life is seldom easy to forecast decades into the future. Unexpected family issues, health issues, education costs, changes in jobs/location/lifestyles/travel interests -- all these and more can affect families' DVC plans.

A viable resale market has always been there in the past. It was even pitched as a major selling point by DVC when we first bought! I would hate to see that change in the future. And many others would too, even if they don't necessarily realize it now.

It sure seems like you could put a pin in any moment in time over the past 20 years and some variation of this topic was probably being discussed.

The prices have gone way up.. the perks have gone down..is it still worth it??

Reminds me of how pundits have called the stock market overvalued going on close to a decade now.

With the benefit of hindsight, there has pretty much never been a bad time to buy. Everyone has pretty much come up roses when you consider this is a timeshare purchase we're talking about. My prediction is that hotel prices continue to rise and that a WDW vacation continuous to be desirable to a great many people, which means that purchasing a DVC contract* is still worth it in the long term

*purchasing at the resort you want to stay at will become increasingly important here

It sure seems like you could put a pin in any moment in time over the past 20 years and some variation of this topic was probably being discussed.

The prices have gone way up.. the perks have gone down..is it still worth it??

Reminds me of how pundits have called the stock market overvalued going on close to a decade now.

With the benefit of hindsight, there has pretty much never been a bad time to buy. Everyone has pretty much come up roses when you consider this is a timeshare purchase we're talking about. My prediction is that hotel prices continue to rise and that a WDW vacation continuous to be desirable to a great many people, which means that purchasing a DVC contract* is still worth it in the long term

*purchasing at the resort you want to stay at will become increasingly important here
In spite of buying direct points every once in a while, I think you’re right. I don’t think the post 2042 contracts will lose their value anytime soon, or even in decades for that matter. But I also agree that you need to buy where you want to stay. Buying cheap points for a seven month window isn’t a good long term strategy.

I think the reason resale has gone up significantly in the past year is pretty obvious. I was going to do exact math but the generalized version gets the idea across just as well.

What did millions of WDW lovers (who already likely have significant disposable income) spend their millions of saved vacation dollars (from 2020 & 2021) on if they didn't spend it at WDW? How many people that rented decided controlling their own reservation was better after they lost out?

Resale can be worth it but not always. I think there are many contracts out there that still make it worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter