Not Worth Purchasing Resale

I own GCV and am going through process on an SSR purchase to primarily use at Aulani.

Did your 100 point SSR have any bonus points, 2021 points, or was it stripped?

Good price no matter what!
Full 2021 and beyond points + 31 banked points from 2020, it is definitely a rare deal these days and chances are it will be taken up at ROFR but still worth trying

I agree 100%, I was thinking the same thing. I rather have some residual value, and if happens to be nada in resale value in the future, so be it, but I don't think that will be the case. But it's okay, everybody can decide what's best for themselves, if happy to have have 22 years left of use only, that's all that matters, it's money well spent to them!

Back on topic, I can't fathom Aulani and SSR resales prices going up that much currently, quite a bit shocked actually, especially for Aulani.

Great3

SSR has proven to be a good buy if you bought it 5 years ago- one of the best percentage growth. It’s getting much more popular post refurb and with DS developing to what it has.

This year I rented points due to covid and I offered my renters choices to switch at 7 months- Boardwalk, Beach Club etc. Go back 5 years and nearly everyone would have said move me. Not now, people were wanting SSR- a very marked difference I found. It’s a great value, even now, resale.

IMHO, taking a quick look at resales for SSR, this is still a decent resale price with 150 banked points from a major broker.
Saratoga Springs150$120Jun300 points coming Jun 1, 2021 (150 + 150 banked) + 150 points for 2022$18,000

I saw an AKV contract this morning listed for over $160/point! Granted, it's a relatively small contract (80 points), but still... Yikes. I'm glad I added on when I did and got a pretty good deal.

If resale prices are almost as much as direct, 125 direct points that we can use at Riviera and future resorts looks a lot more palatable. That's worth a little extra cost and even if we don't ever buy APs, shopping discounts alone could hit a break even point after a few years if the price difference continues to narrow.

I saw an AKV contract this morning listed for over $160/point! Granted, it's a relatively small contract (80 points), but still... Yikes. I'm glad I added on when I did and got a pretty good deal.

If resale prices are almost as much as direct, 125 direct points that we can use at Riviera and future resorts looks a lot more palatable. That's worth a little extra cost and even if we don't ever buy APs, shopping discounts alone could hit a break even point after a few years if the price difference continues to narrow.

On my current resale SSR purchase, despite the narrowing gap with direct it was definitely worth it:

The cost savings equaled about 88 extra points being able to purchase which is 3-4 extra studio nights per year should we choose...or we can rent those extra points out.

I would rather have extra points than the ability to use additional future resorts or extra savings in the park.

Just a different way to look at it.

I only bought resale because Disney would not sell me less than 125 points.
It also saved me money, but I am having to wait 3+ months before I can use them for 2022.
50 points @ 140 pt at HHI= 7000 (Direct)
50 points @ 75 pt at HHI= 3750 (Resale)
47% savings before closing costs (650 for SC)

The resale restrictions along with high prices made direct add on a no brainer for me. We are west coast and planned Hawaii visit as soon as we were fully vaccinated at the beginning of the year. Oahu had the least Covid hoops to jump through but at the time not many resorts open. Aulani was open but expensive! They were offering every 5th night free on points. The cash rates for Aulani were also discounted but not nearly as much as points stay.

I added on a fixed week at Rivera, used the 2020 “free” points to take advantage of the 5th night free on points, and that alone made a huge dent in the Rivera contract savings. We also purchased at the $195 price. After dvc incentives, the initial outlay was not much more than the cash rate for our Aulani stay (which I would have paid regardless). It was nice to stay at the resort with 30% occupancy. I normally would never have paid the cash rates for Aulani but given how few hotels were open at the time and how desperate we were to get away once vaccinated, we were going to pay the going rates no matter what they cost.

Im not using the fixed week this year but have a very nice stay scheduled with my 2021 points that had prorated mf’s. I’m actually fine calling initial cash outlay a wash after my 2022 use year points are used.
I was previously pretty anti Rivera. I have subsidized Aulani points purchased without restrictions and had intended to add on resale but I’m not willing to add on any further resale points given the restrictions. Given how cheap and easy it was to add on direct Rivera, I’m now a big fan.

This has been my point. Resale prices are so ridiculously high that its not worth the hassle of the resales process nor forfeiting the blue card benefits.

This has been my point. Resale prices are so ridiculously high that its not worth the hassle of the resales process nor forfeiting the blue card benefits.

To me, it's definitely worth the "hassle" to save a few grand for benefits I don't want and a product I plan to sell anyway.

I think we can expect to see boosts in at least VGF and SSR direct pricing. The spread is too small, and Disney doesn't leave money on the table.

To me, it's definitely worth the "hassle" to save a few grand for benefits I don't want and a product I plan to sell anyway.

I think we can expect to see boosts in at least VGF and SSR direct pricing. The spread is too small, and Disney doesn't leave money on the table.

i agree and not everyone wants/needs to quickly close and pay for the contract.

There is a big reason direct is so fast: Disney gets their money quickly.

Fine for those who need the points right away, but if you don’t, I like securing today’s resale price and having it locked in for 3 months for a minimal deposit.

So resale saves meaningful dollars, can pay for it later, and you lock in today’s price...a great all around deal to me.

i agree and not everyone wants/needs to quickly close and pay for the contract.

There is a big reason direct is so fast: Disney gets their money quickly.

Fine for those who need the points right away, but if you don’t, I like securing today’s resale price and having it locked in for 3 months for a minimal deposit.

So resale saves meaningful dollars, can pay for it later, and you lock in today’s price...a great all around deal to me.

This all applies to me for sure. That's why I went with a 200 point contract at HH, February UY. Being a West Coaster (former DL cast member and life-long Orange County resident), almost all of the Direct "perks" are of zero benefit to me. Here's my thought process:

Disney Collection: not interested, and paying cash makes more sense anyway.
Disney Cruise: terrible use of points, terrible conversion rate
Adventures by Disney: another horrible use of points, terrible conversion rate (rent points and pay cash difference if you must)
Concierge Collection: joined DVC for Disney. I have other hotel memberships I can use (Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy) and I do rack up points on business travel.
Annual Pass: California resident. While I travel to FL on business regularly, the rest of the family doesn't. Buying AP's doesn't make sense for one trip.
Member Cruises: again, terrible use of points.
Member Events: With only one family trip per year, the likelihood of hitting a Moonlight Magic or other event is almost zero. It would be one at most (if lucky).
Dining Discounts: this one is valid. Without a DW AP, we'd have to pay full price on food and merch. *
Shopping Discounts: see above
Recreation Discounts: we have miniature golf and water parks at home, plus we travel across the country for the theme parks.
Riviera: missing 1 out of 15 isn't a deal breaker.

* although not a given, I mentioned being a former cast member because we're a huge Disney family (three generations of cast members) and I still have several family members who are current cast members and we usually have one along on every trip. May not last forever, but for now it works well for us.

Also, having HH as my home resort isn't a deal breaker because we tend to travel to Florida from late winter to mid-spring (very flexible) and our preference is one or two bedrooms. Studios are just too small. Having the luxury of 200 points to use on one 5 or 6 night trip per year in the off-season really leaves a lot of options open. I don't really need a DW home resort. Yes, those maintenance fees are a bear, but they amount to about $300 more per year than our second choice, OKW. I can swing the extra $28 bucks a month.

Oh, and those 200 points I paid $78 each for, spend just the same as the guy who bought his GCV points direct from Disney for $300 each. We're both sitting in the same 7-month window boat.

Last edited:
This all applies to me for sure. That's why I went with a 200 point contract at HH, February UY. Being a West Coaster (former DL cast member and life-long Orange County resident), almost all of the Direct "perks" are of zero benefit to me. Here's my thought process:

Disney Collection: Not interested.
Disney Cruise: terrible use of points.
Adventures by Disney: another horrible use of points.
Concierge Collection: joined DVC for Disney. I have other hotel memberships I can use (Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy) and I do rack up points on business travel.
Annual Pass: California resident. While I travel to FL on business regularly, the rest of the family doesn't. Buying AP's doesn't make sense for one trip.
Member Events: With only one family trip per year, the likelihood of hitting a Moonlight Magic or other event is almost zero. It would be one at most (if lucky).
Dining Discounts: this one is valid. Without a DW AP, we'd have to pay full price on food and merch. *
Recreation Discounts: we have miniature golf and water parks at home, plus we travel across the country for the theme parks.

* although not a given, I mentioned being a former cast member because we're a huge Disney family (three generations of cast members) and I still have several family members who are current cast members and we usually have one along on every trip. May not last forever, but for now it works well for us.

Also, having HH as my home resort isn't a deal breaker because we tend to travel to Florida from late winter to mid-spring (very flexible) and our preference is one or two bedrooms. Studios are just too small. Having the luxury of 200 points to use on one 5 or 6 night trip per year in the off-season really leaves a lot of options open. I don't really need a DW home resort. Yes, those maintenance fees are a bear, but they amount to about $300 more per year than our second choice, OKW. I can swing the extra $28 bucks a month.

Oh, and those 200 points I paid $78 each for, spend just the same as the guy who bought his GCV points direct from Disney for $300 each. We're both sitting in the same 7-month window boat.
I don’t think comparing HH points resale is a fair comparison to WDW property resale. Not apples to apples. Good luck to you using them at 7 mos. There is a reason they were priced at $78/pt.

I don’t think comparing HH points resale is a fair comparison to WDW property resale. Not apples to apples. Good luck to you using them at 7 mos. There is a reason they were priced at $78/pt.
So you think there will be few to no one or two bedroom villas available at any resort during early January through mid-March?

In the past, Jan is very easy except president day/marathon weekends. I’ve usually never had an issue at 7 months for ssr or okw. If it’s not a peak week, I can usually also get akv. If you’re open to a split stay then chances are very good for other resorts as well. Imho hh and vero are cheaper due to higher annual fees and not being onsite with the wdw draw.
We had akv and swapped 50% at 7 months for okw for years. Lots here bought ssr or akv to swap at 7 months. There are scores of posts about buying “sleep around points.” The difference is you don’t have an 11 mth guaranteed place unlike if you had ssr akv etc to then swap.
But if you have some flex with dates, I’d bet you could get into at least 1 resort right at 7 months when others are canceling and swapping. I’d be interested in a poll of who has been shut out at 7 months for all resorts at not holiday/super peak times.

Last edited:
I’ve usually never had an issue at 7 months for ssr or okw. If it’s not a peak week, I can usually also get akv. If you’re open to a split stay then chances are very good for other resorts as well. Imho hh and vero are cheaper due to higher annual fees and not being onsite with the wdw draw.
That was the conclusion I had reached. I've read through dozens of threads, watched a multitude of videos, and read a ton of articles, and it would "appear" that a combination of a desire for shorter stays (4-5 nights) in larger units, versus stretching out stays in studios, combined with off-season travel and an almost complete flexibility regarding travel dates, presents ample opportunity to secure reservations even at the 7-month window.

Now I will fully admit that I don't have the practical experience of actually putting any of this to the test, but that seems to be the "consensus". If you end up at SSR, aka the "resort of last resort", is that any different than having SSR as your home resort (absent the extra $40 per point in cost)? Sure you can book it 11 months out, but you're in the same 7-month boat everywhere else. Oh, and I LOVE OKW.

Disney Collection: not interested, and paying cash makes more sense anyway.
Disney Cruise: terrible use of points, terrible conversion rate
Adventures by Disney: another horrible use of points, terrible conversion rate (rent points and pay cash difference if you must)

We are West Coasters as well and have GCV as our home resort but just purchased 250 SSR points to primarily use at Aulani.

Liked the price and MF of SSR and the 2054 expiration date gives us plenty of time to sell later and still have value left in our contract.

I think you made a good purchase and with your flexibility should find options within 7 months that you are happy with. And you saved a lot over other resorts, and certainly by not going direct!

We are West Coasters as well and have GCV as our home resort but just purchased 250 SSR points to primarily use at Aulani.

Liked the price and MF of SSR and the 2054 expiration date gives us plenty of time to sell later and still have value left in our contract.

I think you made a good purchase and with your flexibility should find options within 7 months that you are happy with. And you saved a lot over other resorts, and certainly by not going direct!
That's kinda how I saw it too. By the way, it was really nice seeing guests entering into GC through the DTD gate this afternoon. Went to Naples for lunch and was pleasantly surprised to see the gate open.

While I feel like I'm buying on the high side for resale and certain brokers (wont name names) are helping to drive higher prices, resale will save me money:
55 points @ 183 pt at PVB= $10065 (Resale)
55 points @ 250 pt at PVB = $13750 (Direct)
$3685 in savings!!!! (Assuming I make ROFR)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter