Not Worth Purchasing Resale

Will edit that the blue card is kind of a big deal to me because I have been alble to use it at Moonlight Magic events and have used my points to stay at the Riviera Resort which I thought was pretty spectacal resort. We have the Florida resident pass so no savings there. Have another Riviera stay for 7 nights in September.

Right now the DVC Blue card is giving 20% discount at resort gift shops.
I think when we were there in July we bought a bunch of stuff at the gift store and they asked me if I was DVC and didn't ask to see the card but when my wife went there they asked her for the card which she forgot to bring, so She wasn't too happy.

Just my opinion. Resale will always be worth it over direct. I would only buy resale though to get the most bang for my buck. Current prices aren’t sparking that interest. So much debate over “2042”. That’s two decades!! Two decades folks!! Why so much worry and trying to predict what is going to happen? Live for the now and enjoy life. Let the future happen naturally and adapt. Having a 2042 resort that is so awesome and you love staying there is all that should matter. If you want a Blue Card then get it. I’d however only pay the cheapest amount to get that. (I wanted one so I bought OKW which happens to be a favorite nostalgic place to me). I love the Beach Club and saved over $100 per point!! I don’t give a hoot about 2042.
Well but you can always stay at a resort you like by renting points. When you buy, though, nice to know have the ability to sell down the road if life changes and dvc is no longer working for you, which is potentially an issue for the 2042 resorts. What you say about 2042 is a good point if you are certain you won’t sell, but a lot of new DVC owners aren’t sure if that will be the case.

Agree with this. As an aside you may already know about mouseperks.com, but I find it very helpful. It shows the discounts for various places for AP, DVC, Visa and TIW (should it ever come back).
I didn’t know, so that is super helpful, thanks!

Your point about not wanted to get locked into a 50 year commitment is a great one. We bought into BCV in February 2020 (just before COVID...yikes) and one of the things that we actually liked was the 2042 expiration year. I know may sound crazy to all those people who are looking to get into the properties with the longest expiration possible, but we will be 67 years old in 2042. That is the perfect age, IMO, to have a contract expire. We didn't want to be locked into a contract until we were 98 years old. 22 years of DVC is the perfect amount of time to enjoy everything DVC has to offer, and then if we really wanted to keep it going we could buy back in at that time. No one knows what the future brings and in 22 years we may have had our fill of DVC...who knows (although we love Disney so hopefully that doesn't happen). The point is that we will at least have the option to get out of DVC via natural contract expiration at a young enough age to enjoy other travel options.

This makes little sense to me because you are never locked in, can always sell easily.

Eventually those early expiring contracts will lose their value.

Surely a good tactic is to buy a contract with a good number of years left at anticipated end of use, and sell it on for good money, which you then use for other things?

I just rescinded an offer on a contract for my use year at SSR for $145/point for 26 points. It did include 2020 points but after I researched and thought about it, and realized I could just buy direct without the hassle of resale for $165, I decided to rescind my offer.

I can’t move past the idea that SSR would fetch $145 a point.
Surely the market has gone past rationale.

This makes little sense to me because you are never locked in, can always sell easily.

Eventually those early expiring contracts will lose their value.

Surely a good tactic is to buy a contract with a good number of years left at anticipated end of use, and sell it on for good money, which you then use for other things?
Well, we don't plan on selling. For us, 22 years was the perfect amount of time. Bought DVC in our mid 40s, out in our late 60s. Perfect.

And there is no guarantee that later we can "sell it on for good money" and "can always sell easily", as you said. With the restrictions DVC is putting into place there is no telling what the resale market will look like in 20 years. Which is why we bought with the intention of not selling. For us, the 22 years was perfect. We didn't want to be owning DVC in our 90s.

Last edited:
Well, we don't plan on selling. For us, 22 years was the perfect amount of time. Bought DVC in mid 40s, out in mid 60s. Perfect.

And there is no guarantee that later we can "sell it on for good money", as you said. With the restrictions DVC is putting into place there is no telling what the resale market will look like in 20 years. Which is why we bought with the intention of not selling. For us, the 22 years was perfect. We didn't want to be owning DVC in our 90s.
I understand your position. However the likelihood that you will sell is very real. Not sure what the current numbers are but it used to be 10-15 years the average contract sells. I would like to at least sell for what I paid for my contracts whenever that time may be. At current trends, I see nothing but profits until around the 10 yr. mark on 2042 contracts. Then all bets are off.

I understand your position. However the likelihood that you will sell is very real. Not sure what the current numbers are but it used to be 10-15 years the average contract sells. I would like to at least sell for what I paid for my contracts whenever that time may be. At current trends, I see nothing but profits until around the 10 yr. mark on 2042 contracts. Then all bets are off.
"At current trends"? What, like the last several months? Remember when just last summer the resale market was in the tank and the threads on here were speculating if it will come back up? Timeshares aren't an investment. IMO (and my financial advisor's opinion), buying into DVC with the expectation of selling down the line for a profit is a mistake. Especially with the recent restrictions placed on resale. There is no way...zero...to know what the resale market will look like 10-15 years down the road.

So I (not you, which is fine) bought DVC with the plan to own until my contract expires 22 years from when I bought it. I highly doubt I will want to sell before it expires (22 years isn't near as daunting as 50 years). If you are correct and I suddenly want to get out of DVC 15 years from now I will just rent my points for the remaining 5 years. Again, that's just me...you obviously feel differently and that's totally cool (I see you own CCV and VGF so you obviously don't see things the same way). I am just saying what attracted me and my wife to the 2042 expiration date. :)

Well, we don't plan on selling. For us, 22 years was the perfect amount of time. Bought DVC in our mid 40s, out in our late 60s. Perfect.

Exactly Right!!! We bought in our mid 50’s, will adjust to “downsizing” in our mid 70’s in 2042 to finish up in our…yikes…I’ll be 90 by 2057. My investment days are behind me. Not selling but will continue to live like I am in my 20’s!!! Perfect.

Sure you can sell, at resale prices. Maybe you didn’t pay resale prices. That’s the whole point of this thread. Why would you pay the premium to buy direct or take the restrictions of RIV? Depends on your exit strategy.

And there is no guarantee that later we can "sell it on for good money" and "can always sell easily", as you said. With the restrictions DVC is putting into place there is no telling what the resale market will look like in 20 years. Which is why we bought with the intention of not selling. For us, the 22 years was perfect. We didn't want to be owning DVC in our 90s.

The contracts will always have value and be easy to sell. The value will at least be equivalent to what the points could be rented for, less investor discount. Or be equivalent to a discount on hotel rooms.

I already know what my SSR restrictions will be when I come to sell, because they can’t be taken away. That is to stop in SSR and the other resorts still to expire beyond SSR up to Riviera. That’s a great base value left.

I plan to sell when SSR has maybe 10 years left, take the cash. Whereas if I bought a resort expiring at that time I intend to exit, I’ll have nada. Even if you couldn’t sell you could just sit back and rent the points.

I can see why you bought BWV as it’s a nice resort but don’t get the logic it’s a good idea because it ends about when you want to exit, when if you bought another resort you will very likely have achieved quite a bit of value with a fairly easy sale.

The contracts will always have value and be easy to sell. The value will at least be equivalent to what the points could be rented for, less investor discount. Or be equivalent to a discount on hotel rooms.

I already know what my SSR restrictions will be when I come to sell, because they can’t be taken away. That is to stop in SSR and the other resorts still to expire beyond SSR up to Riviera. That’s a great base value left.

I plan to sell when SSR has maybe 10 years left, take the cash. Whereas if I bought a resort expiring at that time I intend to exit, I’ll have nada. Even if you couldn’t sell you could just sit back and rent the points.

I can see why you bought BWV as it’s a nice resort but don’t get the logic it’s a good idea because it ends about when you want to exit, when if you bought another resort you will very likely have achieved quite a bit of value with a fairly easy sale.

I agree 100%, I was thinking the same thing. I rather have some residual value, and if happens to be nada in resale value in the future, so be it, but I don't think that will be the case. But it's okay, everybody can decide what's best for themselves, if happy to have have 22 years left of use only, that's all that matters, it's money well spent to them!

Back on topic, I can't fathom Aulani and SSR resales prices going up that much currently, quite a bit shocked actually, especially for Aulani.

Great3

I say make offers on contracts that align with your needs and see what happens, I thought I would end up having to add SSR direct but got an offer accepted at $100 p/p for a 100-pt contract 2 days ago, you just never know.
yup, second this! I got 200-pt at $104 last month. I think some places are listing way higher than expected sale price hoping to catch uninformed buyers. :/

Last edited:
I say make offers on contracts that align with your needs and see what happens, I thought I would end up having to add SSR direct but got an offer accepted at $100 p/p for a 100-pt contract 2 days ago, you just never know.

I own GCV and am going through process on an SSR purchase to primarily use at Aulani.

Did your 100 point SSR have any bonus points, 2021 points, or was it stripped?

Good price no matter what!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter