Not a fan of the automatic tip charging.

trimix,

I hope you don't get flamed, because what you said was what I was thinking.
Making work for yourself about something that might not even require visiting GS anyway?

I guess some people are a posed to change, or just prefer to think of the Gratuity as that when it IS expected of a Guest and being able to tip in cash straight away or waste time queuing up at the end of the cruise to just put the suggested amount on their account anyway somehow makes them feel better about it? :confused3

Makes no sense to me. Pre pay, have it auto added, have some extra cash to add to the envelop if I wanted to it would be my choice.
Any reason to NOT have to visit GS would be preferable IMO!
But if and only if the need arises, then queue up at GS or call them and change down.
If they ask why, just say I don't wish to discuss it if that is how you feel, or tell them why the service was sub par.

You can always walk away or hang up the phone if you feel the CM is putting pressure on you to say why you want to decrease your suggested amount.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and own feelings on the matter.
Those that feel strongly against it should write or call DCL to express it though.

Ex Techie :)

I am not a huge fan of the restaurants so IDK if I will even use them much for our 14 night trip coming up. I loved our room steward (is that what they are called?) anyways gave him a big tip. I just dont want to tip on something I dont use.

This type is exactly why they need to automatically include the tips :rolleyes2

We've been on many cruises and I'm fine with automatic tipping. It makes my life easier and I know the staff (dining room, quick service, staterooms, all of them!) are working exceptionally hard to make sure my cruise is enjoyable - they have some of the hardest jobs around. I can't fathom what it must feel like when they realize someone didn't do right by them.

There would have to be a seriously egregious problem that wasn't resolved when I reported it to management or guest services for me to even consider adjusting a tip. It seems to me that in many of these cases where people try to justify removing/reducing their tip, they didn't try very hard (or at all) to get the problem resolved, which leads me to wonder if they went into it looking for any infraction as justification for removing a tip that they simply didn't want to pay.

Disneyhenry,

Since you only used the MDR's for one night on your last cruise, I hope you give them another chance on your 14 night cruise.
One night on one ship isn't really enough of a reason to discount them on your future cruise IMO! The Serving CM's didn't really have a chance to redeam themselves, but I hope you told the Head Server or GS why you wouldn't be returning so they could correct what went wrong for you and your family.

I hope it works out for you this time and you like them rather than just Room Service or the quick service outlets! :thumbsup2
They can be a fantastic experience!

I have been on quite a few cruises (not with Disney) but have always done the envelope thing with cash. (My last cruise was in 2006, so obviously things have changed!) I stated how I feel, and do not feel the need to justify myself. In the end... unless the service was absolutely horrible... my servers/team will get at least the recommended amount (quite possibly more thanks to great service and my young kids) as your team will. Your way/my way... truly doesn't matter. I prefer cash in envelopes (partly because it is cheaper due to the higher exchange rate on my Canadian credit cards). I will not need to go to guest services twice. I will simply go on the first day, remove my tips, and hopefully book tea with the princesses. :)

Thanks Techie! The girls are so excited :) Perhaps I am just a little on edge due to the responses given (My goodness- not once did I say I planned on not tipping. In fact, I felt I made it obvious that we usually tip above due to my girls being so young and a bit more work to clean up after)... but am I missing something? We plan on becoming regular cruisers with Disney and already have our 2nd cruise booked. I should be able to just go to guest services once, right? I felt this was quite easy, but with the responses I am really starting to doubt myself!

It is not a hassle to change. I just did changes on the Wonder and it took about 10 minutes. You do NOT have to do it at embarkation. You can do it at any time during the cruise. And yes if you choose to, you can remove the charge entirely and pay no tips, or pay them all yourself in cash, so there really isn't anything all that different going on here.

Even if you do not use the main dining rooms for dinner, the same servers work the buffets and counter services. It is NOT just a tip for dining room service.

We've been on many cruises and I'm fine with automatic tipping. It makes my life easier and I know the staff (dining room, quick service, staterooms, all of them!) are working exceptionally hard to make sure my cruise is enjoyable - they have some of the hardest jobs around. I can't fathom what it must feel like when they realize someone didn't do right by them.

There would have to be a seriously egregious problem that wasn't resolved when I reported it to management or guest services for me to even consider adjusting a tip. It seems to me that in many of these cases where people try to justify removing/reducing their tip, they didn't try very hard (or at all) to get the problem resolved, which leads me to wonder if they went into it looking for any infraction as justification for removing a tip that they simply didn't want to pay.

Oh believe me we talked to management, out entire table did. It was when I talked to the manager of guest services that I was told not to tip if I didnt use them due to poor service.

Disneyhenry,

Since you only used the MDR's for one night on your last cruise, I hope you give them another chance on your 14 night cruise.
One night on one ship isn't really enough of a reason to discount them on your future cruise IMO! The Serving CM's didn't really have a chance to redeam themselves, but I hope you told the Head Server or GS why you wouldn't be returning so they could correct what went wrong for you and your family.

I hope it works out for you this time and you like them rather than just Room Service or the quick service outlets! :thumbsup2
They can be a fantastic experience!

We will give it another try for sure, we also requested a small table, that may help. I really hope it works, 14 days of fast food, yeah that is not gonna work LOL - thanks :thumbsup2

Right, but what's an appropriate tip for handing you a burger at one of the fast food counters? They're not performing MDR service, why should a customer be expected to tip as such?

ON a cruise the tip to food service workers is per cruise for ALL the services they perform. Not just sit down dining room service. You're not selecting a restaurant on land. That's why the tipping situation is different. If you get lousy service, then you can reduce the tips, at least on DCL, but if you're getting decent service even at fast food joints onboard it is STILL customary to tip servers.

Makes no sense to me. Pre pay, have it auto added, have some extra cash to add to the envelop if I wanted to it would be my choice.
Any reason to NOT have to visit GS would be preferable IMO!
But if and only if the need arises, then queue up at GS or call them and change down.
If they ask why, just say I don't wish to discuss it if that is how you feel, or tell them why the service was sub par.

You can always walk away or hang up the phone if you feel the CM is putting pressure on you to say why you want to decrease your suggested amount.

:thumbsup2 My thought, exactly.

Spent way too much time at GS last time arranging meets, last thing I needed to do was fuss about tips.

Oh, okay. In this case I would say it is absolutly necessary to do the tipping automatically. The CM's need to get their money, right? And I know the other cruise lines do it this way too. I know it is not the right thread, but is it nice to travel with Europeans?

Even though we are all lousy tippers I am sure that we will be on our best behaviour!

Seriously, a quick google search (can't verify the stats at great speed) says there are 738 million people who live in Europe. In the USA there are apparently 311 million people. Your question is a bit broad don't you think? I have travelled with some amazingly lovely Americans, and also encountered a fair few who I wished were not stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean with me! I would hazard a guess that there are lots of Europeans who you would enjoy travelling with and some who you would not.

To answer your question in what I hope is the spirit it was meant I am going to say that it can be great to travel with people from any different culture. As a native English speaker I am almost ALWAYS put to shame by the superior language skills of my European friends where learning second and third languages to a very competant level is quite common. That being said it is equally impressive to me that in the kids clubs on the Med cruises kids from all nationalities seem to have an amazing time with each other sometimes with no language in common at all. Some things are culturally different and tipping is one of them. Here in the UK wait staff are paid at least the minimum wage (a little under $10 an hour for over 21's and around $7.50 for 18-21's) and tipping varies wildly. In general 10% is considered a decent tip. However we go with the "When in Rome" adage so when we go to the US we adjust and use 20% as our baseline and add more for really good service - being aware of what is customary elsewhere makes you a better traveller and while I am sure some Med cruisers stiffed the servers either because they didn't know better or didn't want to tip, equally there are plenty of US travellers who argue why they shouldn't bother tipping too.

Anyway, auto charge or not I am very much looking forward to meeting my fellow travellers and relaxing on the Magic for my next two vacations!

Mel
x

Honestly, just tipping less and not addressing the problem is the worst thing you can do. Bringing up an issue does not automatically get someone in trouble. It will probably get them re-training. Most people need that now and then no matter what you do for a living. Bringing up small things before they become big problems is good for everyone especially the CM you are, for lack of a better word, reporting.

This is very true. If I am not doing something at my own job, I feel I have a right to know so I can adjust fire. The same holds true for anyone who values their job and the CM go through a lengthy process to even be hired with DCL.

With that said, I love the idea DCL took the 'work' out of tipping and I don't have to keep notes of what is recommended written down to help me remember on the lastnight. There is no guess work involved.

Many of the CM are from other countries where this kind of money to them is a gem. They work hard and I have never had a bad experience in all my cruising with DCL...not even a complaint.

I think so many people are quick to complain than to compliment. Of course, we work hard for our money and choose to spend it on our vacations and DCL, but remember those that serve you are working hard too and the suggested tip should be the minimum you give and if there is a problem. Say something. It can't be rectified if you don't.

Example: going out to eat is a luxury at our house, so when I don't feel I get the service I at least deserve or my food isn't what I asked for (i.e. well done), then I ask the server to fix it. Usually the manager comes over and tries to offer free dessert, a discount on our meal or free altogether. THIS irritates me. Don't offer me free stuff or discounts, just fix the error and move on. Lesson learned. I still tip the same. It's a learning lesson.

As for those that talked about other cruise lines, we have sailed with another and it's not even comparable. Nothing like getting to your stateroom to see the bed wrinkle like someone sat and watched TV for a minute, the room smelled musty and there were 'nasty' things in the bathroom trash can, leftover food in the fridge, and someone's shirt in one of the drawers!!! I asked them to disinfect and re-clean the room. Did the stateroom host get his tip??? Yes, because he followed through with what I asked which I didn't feel was out of place to do so. I'm not staying in a room that was visibly not cleaned or taking the chance it wasn't.

Just my two cents. The experience is what you make it. Relax. Enjoy yourself and have fun!!! That's what is most important!!!:yay:

I have been on quite a few cruises (not with Disney) but have always done the envelope thing with cash. (My last cruise was in 2006, so obviously things have changed!) I stated how I feel, and do not feel the need to justify myself. In the end... unless the service was absolutely horrible... my servers/team will get at least the recommended amount (quite possibly more thanks to great service and my young kids) as your team will. Your way/my way... truly doesn't matter. I prefer cash in envelopes (partly because it is cheaper due to the higher exchange rate on my Canadian credit cards). I will not need to go to guest services twice. I will simply go on the first day, remove my tips, and hopefully book tea with the princesses. :)

I don't think anyone implied that you didn't tip only that it seemed like a huge hassle to visit GS twice for tips. You have clarified that indeed you don't plan to visit GS twice, but that you plan to tip in cash on your upcoming cruise whether it's Disney or elsewhere as they all do it the same now. As I said in my original post, if everyone was as thoughtful as you are with respect to tipping, this wouldn't be an issue at all. Unfortunately, there are those that are not so Disney finally succumbed to the now industry norm of automatic tipping.

Enjoy your cruise!

Their prices are all over the map, though. For 3 adults on the Fantasy next summer with a 10% off rebooking discount, we were quoted over $5K in the lowest category verandah stateroom. For the same room on RCCL out of Cape Canaveral for the same time, it was half the cost without a discount. A lot of people use the Oasis/Allure as a comparison to the Dream/Fantasy. They are much bigger ships with a much larger staff and a lot more to manage; it does not surprise me that the prices would be similar or more. What difference does it make to anyone if you are already being asked to pay X amount of money in addition to what you are already paying per day? To get the savings you're talking about, then you'd be declining to pay a tip at all--which is considered bad courtesy and what DCL (and other lines) are trying to avoid. Cruise fares, even Disney, fluctuate dramatically over the course of a year. I don't understand the argument of what it would do to fares if tips were included--when they already are. You're paying the money either up front or later.

It is perfectly acceptable for some people to be displeased with this change. If you are happy with it and think it makes sense, that's wonderful

I think you misunderstood my point. No where did I say that the consumer doesn't have to tip nor gets "savings" by excluding tips from the advertised prices. I was simply stating that no mainstream cruise line is going to include tips in their advertised fares when none of the other lines include it in their advertised fares. That creates inconsistencies when trying to compare costs among cruiselines. Differences would just get exaggerated. It's just like the cruise lines don't include taxes or port fees in their advertised prices, but everyone knows they have to pay taxes and fees. I just don't think it will work for the mainstream cruiselines until they all do it and even then it may not work.

I realize that with any change, some will be unhappy. However, I disagree with the oft-repeated argument that Disney (or RCCL, CCL, Princess, etc.) should simply include tips in the cost of the fare. Only a select few "high-end" cruiselines include tips in the cost of the fare. If the mainstream cruiselines did it, I think that it could adversely affect service. Even with the industry standard policy of "automatic" tips, you can still reduce or remove the tips for poor service. YMMV

Me either. Like I said, I was just playing devil's advocate. If someone doesn't use the dining rooms, I don't think they should be expected to tip.

I have always used them, though, and have tipped accordingly.

You don't specifically tip the fast food counters for that service, but you should be absolutely expected to tip even if you don't use the dining rooms for every meal. Just like the taxicab example.

Or they just didn't want to pay the gratuity since it was not a mandatory charge. I'm surprised that people have posted that aren't fans of the MDR's. So since you can't eat in Palo or Remy each evening, you'd rather eat fast food or at the buffet? For me part of the experience of the cruise is eating dinner in the MDR.

Seriously, a quick google search (can't verify the stats at great speed) says there are 738 million people who live in Europe. In the USA there are apparently 311 million people. Your question is a bit broad don't you think? I have travelled with some amazingly lovely Americans, and also encountered a fair few who I wished were not stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean with me! I would hazard a guess that there are lots of Europeans who you would enjoy travelling with and some who you would not.

I apologize if I've offended someone, that was not my intention. But I have heard from friends that the visitors to Disneyland Paris are so different from the visitors to Disney World. They are impatient in the queues. They like to push their way in front and are rude towards other visitors. They told me this about people from France, Italy and Spain. Have you never experienced such behavior? I would be glad to hear so, because I am really interested in going on a vacation to Europe.

From our experience, I was unsure about the automatic tipping especially for the kids..really what were they getting out of it. So I have to eat crow because not only did the server/asst server get their due, they received more and I was also unsure about the head server but he (Fitz) was super fantastic!!!

I think the encounter with the European culture is what is normal in Europe. From our travels ( not being stereotypical just trying to be honest) we have noticed that the nice line North Americans are used to standing in at a buffet or such is not what is the Norm in Europe. People are constantly "budding" in our eyes but really, that is normal for them. We have taken enough trips to realize we are the ones with the problem, once we figured that out, what came off as rude became accepted and normal for us too!!

Remember, relax you are actually on vacation...worry about your own family and how you are going to approach things and do not worry about what is normal in Europe/South America or wherever...worry about how you raise your own children and your own behaviour...it is way easier!!!

Cheers!!

I apologize if I've offended someone, that was not my intention. But I have heard from friends that the visitors to Disneyland Paris are so different from the visitors to Disney World. They are impatient in the queues. They like to push their way in front and are rude towards other visitors. They told me this about people from France, Italy and Spain. Have you never experienced such behavior? I would be glad to hear so, because I am really interested in going on a vacation to Europe.

(Sorry, venturing off-topic for a moment just in reply to The Rainbow's post ...)

I can't speak for my millions of fellow Europeans (;)), but I certainly wasn't offended by your post! It did come across as a bit of a generalization that made me chuckle (thus my own reply to your post, about a page back), but I don't feel like you actually tread on any toes, so don't worry!

About your plans for a vacation in Europe: I would go ahead and do it, and I am sure you will have lots of fun. That said, I would indeed advise any American to expect less of the behavour that is considered polite where you come from, and not to be offended easily when encountering behaviour that you consider as rude - it is often just in the culture, and not meant to be rude at all!

Take the standing in line - you are completely correct, many mainland Europeans are no good at it, and I fear that we Germans (often to my shame) are the worst of them. It is honestly not meant to be rude - it is just that nobody ever actually expects anybody else to form a line, so everybody is trying to find a place near the front. I don't particularly like it myself, but there you go. A good way to go would be to not expect anybody else to line up, and just expect a general rush to the front. Just move forward firmly but without hurting anybody, and you will be fine :thumbsup2.

(And once you've had enough of that kind of behavour, be sure to pop over to Great Britain - finally some people who know how to stand in line! :rotfl:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!