Noooooo!!!!!!!

madmumof2

DIS Veteran
Please please please someone give me some hope!!

Cameron has been sent home from school today with chicken pox!! We fly in 10 days.

Please tell me he'll be over it by then?????

We've been waiting for this for sooo long and this has to happen now!

Apparently you're contagious 1-2 days before the spots and you have chicken pox for 2-3 weeks before the spots, so hopefully, if Alyssa was going to get them it would have been 1-2 days ago and shouldn't get the spots for a couple of weeks.

I really need some hope right now and some reassurance I won't have to cancel this holiday! Everything seems to have gone wrong regarding this trip. :(

Absolutely gutted. :(

I'm so sorry, I'm afraid the incubation period for Chicken Pox can be up to 3 weeks and you are infectious for a day or two before the spots appear, so it's still very likely your daughter will get it.

It is highly contagious and dangerous to anyone who has a lowered immunity, so your airline will not allow you to travel if either child has any spots not yet completely crusted over - as until then the child will still be infectious.

Good luck.

the spots should be well crusted over by the time you go in 10 days so your son should be fine to travel. its probably worth getting a doctors note to say he is no longer contagious if he has a lot of spots lingering.

In terms of your daughter... you may be lucky with her. My experience is its usually two weeks before the spots appear if she has caught it from him. Its amazing how many siblings dont catch it though!

My son had a birthday party the day after he got chicken pox and we had 30 children there.. not one of them got it!

The problem you will have if she does get it whilst youre away is that the Americans are much more nervous about it than we are in the UK... and they will recommend you keep her away from anyone at all.
As Gilld said... there is no chance you will be allowed to fly if they suspect either child is contagious :(

Dont panic though.. there is nothing you can do... and she may be fine :) fingers crossed for you... (the good thing is that is they do get it, you dont have to worry about it in future!)

I'm so sorry :love:
- you should remain in "isolation" until the spots scab over. Just think of how crabby children can be when they are ill, 10 days is a long time so wait, but if you are insured at least you can make a claim and rebook - but I hope it doesn't come to that.:hug:

OH NO! I cannot believe this. I hope that everything turns out ok for you Gemma.

:hug:

i... (the good thing is that is they do get it, you dont have to worry about it in future!)

Not true I'm afraid. Although unusual to get it again, it can and does happen. I've had Chicken Pox THREE times - and Shingles!!!

I hope he is over it by the time you go and your daughter doesn't catch it, got everything crossed for you! :wizard::wizard::wizard:

Got everything crossed for you :wizard:

My son got it when he was 2 but DD, then 5, still hasn't had it at 25 :confused3

It often occurs to me how lucky we've been never to have had any of our trips disrupted by something like this. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your daughter doesn't succumb, but maybe it would be better if she caught it before you go. At least then you could try to re-book for a later date. If she gets it whilst you're away, you could spend the entire time nursing her through it. When I had it as a child, I had spots everywhere - up my nose, under my eyelids, in my ears - and was quite poorly. My brother caught it from me and had about 10 spots. You wouldn't really have known he was ill. Not really what you want to hear, I'm sure. :blush:

Needless to say, keep your daughter away from your son and don't let them share anything at all. Is it the spots themselves which are contagious does anyone know? Or is it airborne? This might sound a bit crazy, but it may be worth investing in a surgical mask for your son.

Not a nice position to be in at all. :hug:

Another thought occurs to me. Have you phoned NHS Direct? They may be able to offer advice. It might not even be too late for your daughter to benefit from a vaccination.

From what I've been reading, it's sneezing, coughing, laughing, sharing etc that spreads it, as well as touching obviously. I'm trying to keep them away from each other but obviously that's quite hard to do lol And he would ahve been contagious for the last couple of days so if she's going to get it she would have already been exposed to it anyway. :(

I think Cameron should be ok by the time we go, 10 days should do it? I just really hope Alyssa doesn't get it now. :( I'm going to book a doctors appointment the day before we leave so if he has the scabs I can get a doctors note saying he's not contagious any more.

I can't believe this. First credit card fraud taking half my spending money, now chicken pox and the real possibility that we won't be able to go!

I've rang the travel agents and they've said I'm covered and will get all my money back, BUT, I bagged a bargain. I doubt very much I'll be able to get a holiday anywhere near as good as the one we've got for the same amount of money. :(

I've bought the insurance with ATD too, anyone know if this covers anything like this? Would I be able to get my tickets swapped for 2010 ones for eg even though the prices have shot up since I bought them?

This happened to us, albeit 13yrs ago. DD caught them two days before we should have flown. We had no time to wait and see so had to ring the carrier straight away who advised us to cancel and re-book for a later date.

We were insured but had to make a claim and re-booked with a different company.

A week into the holidays DH caught them, he had never had them, and they were really bad. He didn't leave the room for 4 days and then only went out at night. He had no trouble flying home but we had a letter off the Dr just in case.

Could you not try ringing your carrier to see what they advise? Maybe they can tell you how long after the spots have come out they will allow you to still fly. In the end we could have gone on the original date as DD only got a few and none were visible.

Fingers crossed for you and your children.pixiedust:

I've just been checking again... any chance these are flea bites??

Reason I ask is I have cats and kittens. 2 were re homed yesterday and they were both inside the house for an hour or so (they normally live outside in their own little shed). Cameron also put his uniform on the floor this morning before putting it on for school. I didn't notice any spots this morning (although I wasn't really looking for spots lol).

Am I just seeing a coincidence here for some hope or could these be bites??

He has 15 spots all in the same area (bottom right of his belly).

I'll post a picture in a second lol.

Covered in camoline lotion lol. This is the only area the spots are in. I've looked at pictures of chicken pox and pictures of flea bites and these look a lot more like flea bites. Any hope?? lol

CP.jpg

Hard to say... I had chicken pox a few years ago and all the spots were on my face and chest (I looked like I had really bad acne for ages :rolleyes:) and I had shingles earlier this year which was just a small rash on my back so could well just be CP concentrated on that one area. If this is the case then I hope they go away soon, your DD doesn't get it and you all get to go :flower3:

Awww Im so sorry to hear this Gemma!

I have no idea im sorry whether they look like chicken pox or flea bites, Iv personally never seen as many flea bites in one area like that!

I honestly think that if the spots have started to come out now and you keep them absolutely caked in that lotion, they will dry up! Even if they are still there but dried up, he will defo be ok to fly!

Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you x

Have you tried giving him a hot bath to see if it brings out any more? My mum swore by hot baths to bring the spots out.

I personally would take him to the Drs if you have any doubt.

I did take him doctors, he said he thought it was chicken pox until I mentioned we had cats in the house yesterday. He said he thought they were chicken pox but they could be bites as well. Told me to count the spots and if any more appear we know for sure it's chicken pox. If not we may have gotten lucky!

I'll try the hot bath tomorrow! In the morning since he isn't going to school. :(

I've just caked on loads more lol. I don't think it's harmful is it? I'm going to keep topping it up every half hour if not! lol

Anyone know if it will stop the spots from developing if I put it in areas that haven't got spots? lol I could just bathe him in the stuff! lol

I'd get to the doctor today if possible to have him/her check the spots and advise you on the travel.
Ooops! We posted at the same time. Glad that you consulted the doctor.

I remember taking warm oatmeal baths when I was little and had chicken pox - they may help your DS.

One thing that you may want to think about is how much time is your DS going to miss from school due to being sick? Are the kids going to miss school for your vacation, or are you doing a Columbus Day weekend? If he misses a big chunk of time due to being sick, and you have insurance, then you may not want him to miss more time for vacation. Just a thought, not a criticism.

It is terrible when the kids are sick and it must be even worse with all the other stresses you are under - sorry that you have to go through this. Good luck - sending positive thoughts your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter