Non-accessible resort busses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, about 5 minutes ago at MK, a CM blocked us from waiting in the regular line and insisted on walking us around. Now it was pouring rain and lightning, so I don't know if that made a difference, but it was interesting, he wouldn't let us wait in line and this was at Magic Kingdom. The bottom line is we just follow directions, if a CM gives directions that are different than what is posted, we follow the CMs direction, as there may be circumstances we are unaware of and they are there to keep everyone safe. If no CM directions are given, we go with what is posted.

But at the end of the day, we just go with the flow, we are all on vacation and you just do as instructed, if not instructed, be nice to others and they will generally be nice to you. At Disney Springs earlier, a person told us he was grateful we were being loaded, as he saw us and he knew he had enough time to catch the bus. So ECVs being loaded first can work to others advantage as well. All we can all do is our best.
No, you could have said you would NOT be forced to cut in line. No one can force you to cut the line. We are all responsible for our choices. Some choose to do the right thing, and wait their, some don't

Additionally, you have less chance of an issue with a mobility device bumping into a previously loaded passenger - and they are literally following the same protocol that airlines do (load disabled/needs extra time first, and then they get off last if they have to wait for equipment to show up at the aircraft door).
When was the last time loading disabled or the young first on a plane caused others to miss the flight they were on time for? Not at all the same situation. The airline isnt going to bump a ticketed passenger from the flight because a disabled person shows up.at the gate wanting to board

We are here now and if you have a mobility device, you do not wait behind others, except in very rare circumstances at Magic Kingdom.....everywhere else we have been directed by signage and/or cast members to go straight to the designated spot and wait. And they always are loading mobility devices on first. We have even had some bus drivers empty the front half of the bus in order for us to get on when buses stop at multiple stops and then allow them to reboard. We never asked for, but several have done this.

Of course we haven't seen a single long line for the buses yet. But even so, simply reading signs and going by directions given you don't wait in the regular line.
That is just insane. People already on the bus have to get off because a person with a scooter wants to get on at a second stop?

They changed this years ago and unless they have changed back to no waiting in line since February you are not paying attention to what is happening, you are just seeking to blame disabled people because you have to wait your turn. Chairs go through the regular line. Right before the last loop of the line there is a gate with a picture of a wheelchair on the gate. Chairs go through that gate so they are lined up with the back of the bus. It is this way at every park and at Disney Springs and at any resort that has lines rather than a free for all.
Wait? I'm.blaming disabled people because I don't want to wait my turn?? No, you misunderstand. I think everyone should wait their turn. That isnt happening. Bus drivers are afraid of angry guests, a few pixie dust, let me get you to the front moments have turned into an expectation of being allowed to board and bumping other people who were already waiting.

I am not getting worked up, if it came across that way, sorry. I am trying to point out what's happening now l, as it's contrary to what others have been saying are the rules or how things are working, so even if others want to follow the rules, it may be hard when they aren't clear to those that don't go as frequently as those of us here or the rules seemingly change from day to day, for example, our first day there was no standing allowed, the next, up to 15 people standing was allowed. But I said said the CMs are there to keep everyone safe, I didn't say they were there to keep things fair and there is a difference there.

As for the larger family with Grandma, the bus drivers have been mostly strictly enforcing no more than two additional people with the person with a mobility device. The exception is if there are Children in the group and only two adults total. Any extra in the group have to go through the line. There person in the mobility device and two additional people are given them choice of boarding that busy or waiting for them rest of their party to get to the front. This is consistent with them written posted rules, with reasonable exceptional made when children are involved. It isn't perfect, but it helps in the situation you described and we have seen that happen more than once this trip where the buses driver enforced the rule.

The bottom line is life isn't always fair and ask we can do is try to do what is right as far as we know it and that may not always be perfect, but all we can do is try out best.

Everything that you are saying is the "perfect scenario", where everyone goes through the line and waits their turn, only 2 other people board with ECV, etc. But let's be realistic, that hardly ever happens. I can't tell you how many times I have ridden the bus over the last 25+ years of staying on property, these scenarios are the exception, not the rule. Again, the way it is now is fine with me, but we all know how things really happen. No need to try to convince everyone of something we all know is not true.

Swan and Dolphin used to use regular WDW buses with stops at the WDW bus stop areas at parks, but since last fall (maybe when WDW re-opened last summer) they no longer do. The buses are all coach-style and use the offsite bus stops at parks. Someone did report they are using accessible buses, though I haven't seen a lot of reports about it.
Kelly Mack did a great report on her stay, Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort Accessibility Review

Wait? I'm.blaming disabled people because I don't want to wait my turn?? No, you misunderstand. I think everyone should wait their turn. That isnt happening. Bus drivers are afraid of angry guests, a few pixie dust, let me get you to the front moments have turned into an expectation of being allowed to board and bumping other people who were already waiting.

How about this, then: We'll trade. You can ride my wheelchair and I can have a body that functions "normally" enough to walk around at Disney. And then I can use the regular lines instead of having to get return times and limp my way to the ride vehicles because they assume everyone can walk unless proven otherwise. And I can ride Pirates without having to worry about my partner needing to push me in a manual chair for no valid reason. And I don't need to flag down an attendant at random rides because they don't see people at the exit. And I can get food at any QS place without having to deal with stantions that are too narrow to fit a chair in even though the ADA was passed 30 years ago and they've updated the restaurant several times since then. And I can be the first person off the bus instead of the very last. And I can board any bus that shows up without worrying if it has a ramp or if the ramp is working or if someone else with mobility needs has boarded that bus already at a previous stop.

And in exchange, you get my chair and the awesome benefit of...1 time in 100 getting on a bus earlier than you otherwise might have.

So how about it? We have a deal?

Not to mention how many times the wheelchair or scooter user isn’t first in line and then the driver says, “sorry, there are people in the way, you’ll have to wait for the next bus.” That gets really tiresome when there are multiple bus stops and you, the wheelchair user, didn’t board at the beginning of the run. It’s especially bad where buses have multiple stops in the morning, either within a single resort such as CSR, or where resorts share buses. There have been a number of times Ive waited an hour for a bus with space to board me, but the ambulatory people waiting at the same stop were allowed to board.

That is just insane. People already on the bus have to get off because a person with a scooter wants to get on at a second stop?

Did you miss the part where they get back on? It’s like on a city bus or elevator where sometimes you step outside to left people out (and then get back on). This is just stepping out to let others in (and, again, you get back on).

Everything that you are saying is the "perfect scenario", where everyone goes through the line and waits their turn, only 2 other people board with ECV, etc. But let's be realistic, that hardly ever happens. I can't tell you how many times I have ridden the bus over the last 25+ years of staying on property, these scenarios are the exception, not the rule. Again, the way it is now is fine with me, but we all know how things really happen. No need to try to convince everyone of something we all know is not true.
No, I think you are misreading, I am saying what IS happening right now, actively, feet on the ground so to speak. As I mentioned, in general wheelchairs are being loaded first and are not waiting behind others in line, only at MK have we had to wait in the line behind others and only once. Last night the CM wouldn't let us do that even though there was a line at MK and directed us around the line. I am pointing out that way some of the other posters have said that people in wheelchairs/ECVs are waiting behind others is not accurate. In other words I am generally agreeing with you, with the exception of the only two with mobility devices. The bus drivers are very strictly enforcing only two with the mobility device, again, actively seeing it right now, I have not seen that happen on previous trips. Like I said, the exception is if children are involved and there are only two adults. And this is definitely new to see happening.

Not to mention how many times the wheelchair or scooter user isn’t first in line and then the driver says, “sorry, there are people in the way, you’ll have to wait for the next bus.” That gets really tiresome when there are multiple bus stops and you, the wheelchair user, didn’t board at the beginning of the run. It’s especially bad where buses have multiple stops in the morning, either within a single resort such as CSR, or where resorts share buses. There have been a number of times Ive waited an hour for a bus with space to board me, but the ambulatory people waiting at the same stop were allowed to board.
This trip, the bus drivers at OKW have been much, much better with this than even pre COVID. DH heard one tell someone in the wheelchair seat to move or they would be removed from the bus, even if he had to call for security. They also have generally asked people to either move to in front of the yellow line on the bus or to get off and they could get back on after we boarded, it just depends on the driver and how they prefer to do it, but either way it has made getting on and off the bus super easy. We did have once where when we got there the bus had just been loaded and was completely full. Obviously, we said we understood that and waited. But the driver called for another bus, which came in under 10 minutes, which worked well, because even though no one else was left at the stop when we arrived, the second bus was almost full as well. Now this was at the park, not the resort, but interesting to note. And I am not saying all of the drivers will do either of these things, but all of the ones we have had so far have when necessary.

So this part is improving at least.

You missed the point, they get off so their toes don't get run over, then they get right back on to the same exact seats they had before and before anyone else at that stop gets back on. Please read the entire post before making assumptions because you saw one part.

This thread has degraded into arguing. Everyone has different experiences depending on several factors: which resort, which park, what time of day, which CMs, etc. Just because 1 person experienced something different than you doesn't make them wrong and you right.

I believe OP's original message was intended to share the fact that there are several non-accessible buses in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter