Nightmare experience on Skyliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the possibility of other lines being built in the future is now gone because of all the problems.

Is WDW "one and done" as it pertains to the Skyliner business?
I’m wondering if they just made a mistake with trying for the ADA boarding in all cases. I’m not trying to be mean here because I travel with family that require assistance and I get it that it’s not easy, however, maybe it is just too much? Is it required to make it accessible if you have good alternate transportation (boat, busses)? I would love for it to smooth out and be fully ADA accessible but if that is really the issue then perhaps it requires better tech to do this. Could some lines, sadly, be not accessible to all? Like the RIV line?

ETA- do we know for sure that is the reason and source of the issues? Perhaps Disney and gondola co. will work it out though with time.

They had no choice in making it ADA compliant. By regulation "new builds" have to have resemble accommodations for people with disabilities.

If you compare problems with the boats, buses and monorail compared to problems with the Skyliner, then I have a feeling that the Skyliner may not look too bad. I realize that it has had its problems, especially with some very long stops, but for the amount of people it can move with very little to no problems, it looks pretty good. I do think that more care must be taken to iron out these problems and get things fixed properly, though.

I think that Disney needs to do everything it can to make all of these modes of transportation ADA accessible.

I agree that Disney is having growing pains with the Skyliner. When first opened, Test Track had issues for months and months not due to ADA, just operational issues. Sklyliner is having operational issues
No. I disagree. Disabled people shouldn't be allowed on the skyliner. If you can't stand and walk you need to stay off the skyliner. It's for everyone's safety.

ADA regulations says otherwise.

Well said. ADA has gone too far. This is complete nonsense making the skyliner ADA. My advice stay off.

Again regulations that have been affect for decades says otherwise.

Note: I am not disabled, just understand the situation.

I have been stuck on the resort monorail multiple times for over 15 minutes on the same "run", mostly when they are were running the maximum number of trains on the beam. We did get updates that we were in a "hold" pattern.

For the Skyliner, they should do the same. The "emergency button" issue needs to be resolved.

Having said the above, in December I was planning on doing the Skyliner just for the experience. Hopefully bringing my wife. However she is afraid of heights, so I won't try to convince to go on it. I will just take my chances and do it on my own. Once Disney gets the operational issues resolved, I will try to get her to try it out.

One thing that might alleviate some of the stress on the skyliner is more lighting at night. I took it last night to HS and I was surprised that there was no lights on the poles or more lighting on the ground. It is extremely dark.

They had no choice in making it ADA compliant. By regulation "new builds" have to have resemble accommodations for people with disabilities.

I agree that Disney is having growing pains with the Skyliner. When first opened, Test Track had issues for months and months not due to ADA, just operational issues. Sklyliner is having operational issues

ADA regulations says otherwise.

Again regulations that have been affect for decades says otherwise.

Note: I am not disabled, just understand the situation.

I have been stuck on the resort monorail multiple times for over 15 minutes on the same "run", mostly when they are were running the maximum number of trains on the beam. We did get updates that we were in a "hold" pattern.

For the Skyliner, they should do the same. The "emergency button" issue needs to be resolved.

Having said the above, in December I was planning on doing the Skyliner just for the experience. Hopefully bringing my wife. However she is afraid of heights, so I won't try to convince to go on it. I will just take my chances and do it on my own. Once Disney gets the operational issues resolved, I will try to get her to try it out.
Rules and regulations and govt interference has gone too far. Something s just aren't meant for all.

Rules and regulations and govt interference has gone too far. Something s just aren't meant for all.

I agree. I think that people who worry that the Skyliner is unsafe if people with disabilities are allowed to ride should definitely avoid riding. It doesn't make sense for Disney to exclude whole groups of people from a significant mode of transportation to accommodate the fears of a few.

I wouldn’t personally have anxiety from a 30 minute stop, but of course every person is different. I will say after just riding the Skyliner a few times this week we were “stopped”/“stuck” twice, once for 10 minutes and once for 5 or so. I noticed it stopped several times while I was near it but not riding it. Something is definitely not 100% with the Skyliner yet. I think the short pauses are just ADA loads, but the longer pauses have me concerned. Airflow varies based on height and location, so the stop can range from miserable to comfortable depending on air flow.
I might not have anxiety from a 30 minute stop, but I'd sure as hell be angry. Folks aren't paying Disney $$$$ to get stuck on a gondola (or a ride).

I might not have anxiety from a 30 minute stop, but I'd sure as hell be angry. Folks aren't paying Disney $$$$ to get stuck on a gondola (or a ride).
Not only would I be upset, I would bill Disney for my time . When I retired 10 years ago I made $60.00 an hour and today it's worth $120.00 an hour at a minimum of 4 hours. This is what Disney should pay in compensation to dis placed guest.

One thing that might alleviate some of the stress on the skyliner is more lighting at night. I took it last night to HS and I was surprised that there was no lights on the poles or more lighting on the ground. It is extremely dark.

I'm not afraid of heights, but that would completely freak me out. I like to have some idea where I'm going. A little light goes a long way!

Yeah, not a fan, wasn’t when Disney announced they were building them, and definitely still not a fan. I think the money could’ve been better spent elsewhere.

I had originally booked at CBR in Dec just to try the Skyliner but switched to BC recently --- not because I'm nervous about heights or would be worried about safety ... but just due to the nature of how you need to book meals, rides, events, etc... so far in advance now and I plan to park hop. I want to see the Skyliner work consistently without these issues (and there have been quite a few) for a period of time before I think I'll trust it to be reliable. When I'm at WDW for 1 week and have things planned and paid for I want to make sure that I have reliable and quick transport (walking, buses, boats, Uber, Minnie Vans, etc...). For me it seems like it may be too early to rely on the Skyliner for reliable transport (as always YMMV.)

I'm a little bit worried about crowds at the IG at Epcot but that I've sort of accounted for in my plans.

Last edited:
I’m definitely a fan of the gondola. I’m also a fan of making them ADA compliant. I only think that it may not work in stations that don’t have a separate loop where it can be brought to a stop.

Is it required that all stations have to be accommodating? It would surely be a pain if you had to go to Caribbean if staying at Riv. Or if they build future stops it could be a consideration which is why I brought it up in the first place.

I’m definitely a fan of the gondola. I’m also a fan of making them ADA compliant. I only think that it may not work in stations that don’t have a separate loop where it can be brought to a stop.

Is it required that all stations have to be accommodating? It would surely be a pain if you had to go to Caribbean if staying at Riv. Or if they build future stops it could be a consideration which is why I brought it up in the first place.
No. Not at all. ADA is a failure when it comes to this. Not everything bis meant for everyone. What's next making the cockpit of a Boeing 737 max be ADA compliant. Please when is this stuff going to stop.

The best way to treat anxiety-fear-phobia is exposure. Avoiding the fear-inducing event-experience only strengths the fear through the principle of negative reinforcement (remove something noxious --> decrease anxiety --> strengthens avoidance response). I say kudos to those who face their fears-anxieties-phobias and ride the skyliner - it's the best way to cause the fear to become extinct.

But people need to be able to evaluate risk and benefits -- Being at Disney, it's reasonable to assume that the risk of riding the skyliner (or any other mode of transportation) is negligible. If Disney isn't keeping people properly informed before the experience and during any problems, then they're making it impossible for people to rationally evaluate the risks and their own safety.

What a sterile and boring world it would be if no one ever had the courage to try something new and set the irrational fears-anxieties to rest.

Last edited:

Have you noticed all the other Gondola lines opening w/o the same type of system?? Disney's design was not the minimum needed for ADA compliance. They did it because they know they have so many ECVs and wouldn't want to deal with them on the main load/unload so much.

I worry about evacuations of guests with disabilities. This could be a life or death problem.

I took care of a girl that had a spinal fusion from her neck down to her tailbone. She did not bend.
Her elbows were dislocated. Her hips, knees and feet were in a very fixed position.
Her wheelchair was incredibly customized, and it was where she was the most safe. We only removed her for changing her diaper and light stretches.
I cannot even imagine how she'd be evacuated.

Another scenario, we had a boy at school that had his ventilator attached to his wheelchair. And that wheelchair was heavy! Even when moving the boy, his chair had to be right next to him, so the hoses of his ventilator wouldn't disconnect.

The best way to treat anxiety-fear-phobia is exposure. Avoiding the fear-inducing event-experience only strengths the fear through the principle of negative reinforcement (remove something noxious --> decrease anxiety --> strengthens avoidance response). I say kudos to those who face their fears-anxieties-phobias and ride the skyliner - it's the best way to cause the fear to become extinct.

But people need to be able to evaluate risk and benefits -- Being at Disney, it's reasonable to assume that the risk of riding the skyliner (or any other mode of transportation) is negligible. If Disney isn't keeping people properly informed before the experience and during any problems, then they're making it impossible for people to rationally evaluate the risks and their own safety.

What sterile and boring world it would be if no one ever had the courage to try something new and set the irrational fears-anxieties to rest.

Vacation isn't the time or place most people will, or should, chose to battle their inner demons.

We are planning on staying at POP on our next visit, but I am not getting on a Skyliner. I'll stick to the buses instead. The fact that you tried many times to press the emergency button and you got nothing in response is totally unacceptable. What if it had been an emergency where you needed medical attention? What if you hadn't had a cell phone with you? Forget it, I'm not riding in one of those. And if I was in a wheelchair or an ECV, no way in heck would I get on a gondola.

We spent a day about 3 weeks ago riding most of the Disney transportation. The gondola was my 4 year olds favorite part of the day. We ended up doing all of the routes. A few people we were riding with gave me the impression they were hoping it would break down so they could get the PH/FP that some got with the initial big shut down. Because we weren't going anywhere on a schedule, it was a lot of fun just to check it out (they do need some lights out there in the middle of nowhere though, its eerie). On our last leg, from Epcot to CBR, it stopped for a few minutes. At that point my kids were ready to be headed to bed and we were all pretty grouchy. If we were less rational people, I could see it going downhill quickly.
A few thoughts though. If we were trying to use the skyliner to get to an ADR, FP or flight, I could see how things could escalate quickly. Being stuck on something that should be more reliable is not a good feeling. Also, say someone gets stopped on it after a long day at the parks. Your cell phone has died from refreshing for FP. Someone has a medical emergency. Without a working phone, does anyone have proof that the button in the gondola is going to do anything? I'm not saying an estimate on when you will be moving again, I'm talking emergency personnel. And lastly, I wonder if people calling 911 might be what is needed to get a fix from Disney (even if the fix is shutting down the skyliner until they get the kinks worked out). I understand you should only call 911 in an emergency but really, if you are pushing the button and assuming you will get any answer other then 'technical difficulties, we will resume shortly', that apparently constitutes an emergency to you. I wonder at what point Disney would have to answer to 911. I think until Disney gets everything running more consistently smoothly, they need bigger signs pointing out the fact that you will be in a small space dangling high above the ground potentially with strangers with the possibility that there may be stops in the voyage. I know Disney is all about being magical but maybe they need to lean a little more scare factor for this one for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter