Nightmare experience on Skyliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purposefully booked CBR for Skyliner use with a stroller. It's a single stroller and falls within the Disney stroller requirements. Maybe the people that folded their stroller up did so because they were used to doing it on the Disney buses.

We purposefully booked CBR for Skyliner use with a stroller. It's a single stroller and falls within the Disney stroller requirements. Maybe the people that folded their stroller up did so because they were used to doing it on the Disney buses.

You can get a pretty big single stroller in there by just rolling it on. You have to think an entire ECV can roll in there.

I trust Busch Gardens to have Falcons Fury work, but you won't catch me on it because I don't like heights.

But if you did get on would you find it acceptable for the ride to break down, and then they leave you on it with no communication at all?

I will avoid the Skyliner because I hate the feeling of dangling in the air. But at the very least the people on it should have a way to communicate with someone if there is a need to. Totally unacceptable.

FWIW, DH and Dd12 took the skyliner from EP to DHS. DD16 and I took the boat. DH arrived about 5 minutes before me. I’m fine with a longer commute to avoid any skyliner issues.

They ride because they trust Disney to have a system that works. Even if you take away the cars stopping, why is the intercom system not functioning? What if someone in one of those cars had a medical emergency? Is Disney relying on you to dial 911? Seems crazy. And that is assuming every person has a cell phone. Many people don't carry them, as hard as it may be to believe. Being trapped in a tram in the sky with no way to get help seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Why do they trust them? We’ve seen numerous reports of unexpected stoppages. We know that they are having a lot of issues with the ADA cars and frequent stoppages. So again, why the trust that your ride won’t have any issues? Also, I don’t need to “trust a company” to assuage my fears or phobias. Trusting and avoiding potentially anxiety causing experiences don’t go hand in hand. If you know you have a condition, and you know these things are still stopping pretty regularly which makes you uncomfortable, then why ride them? Why not tell yourself this form of transportation may not be for you?

I think some people don’t realize they have a true fear or think about the potential for extended periods of stopping. It’s not like bungee jumping or skydiving, it’s a form of Disney transportation. It’s encouraged. I think the bus monitors wait times indicate service is available by gondola at the skyliner resorts, even though bus service is still running, so it’s pushed.

They should have signs warning people with certain fears not to ride the skyliner. Maybe they do.

We have seen numerous people state they had trepidation about riding the gondolas before they ever got on them because of various conditions. So I ask again, why would you ride something that would cause anxiety before you ever step foot on it. I wouldn’t. I’d take the bus. I certainly wouldn’t ride a particular form of transportation if just thinking about it causes anxiety when another option is available.

Why would someone with a fear of heights, anxiety, and/or claustrophobia ride the Skyliner? It seems like you’re playing with fire because unless everything goes 100% smoothly, you will have issues. I have no desire to ever go skydiving or bungee jumping because that scares me. I’m not going to sign up to do it and hope everything goes well, and I get over my fear. It scares me, so it’s out. Maybe I’m missing out on an amazing experience, and I would be completely fine, but I’ll never know. We’ve just seen so many reports of people with these fears and anxieties, and when something isn’t working properly, they have a freak out or go into hysterics. Why why why would you ride something that may cause a meltdown?!? No Disney transportation is worth that to me, but maybe that’s just me.

OP, I am sorry you got stuck for 45 minutes. I would be very annoyed and angry about it especially with no communication. However, you said you did call CBR, and the hotel told you what was going on and they were trying to get it back up and running. I’m not excusing the lack of the announcement, but what else did you need? No one else can be told we will resume in “x” minutes because Disney can’t estimate the startup down to the minute. Their goal is always to get it back up and running as quickly as possible ensuring everyone’s safety. It sounds like they run the generic, “Your ride will resume shortly” on a loop. Shortly could be 5 minutes or 50 minutes. As others have said though, I won’t be taking the Skyliner if I know their stoppage would make me miss a flight because they don’t have it figured out yet. I do think they’ll get there, but it’s still not there yet.
I think the big difference between bungy jumping and riding a gondola at WDW is that it. is. at. WDW!! When you go to WDW you get on all the attractions with a certain measure of trust that the ride is safe for all. There is an assumption that it is Disney safe, and all will be well; afterall it is a magical vacation destination, not a jump off the bridge tied to a rope.
I think there needs to be a lot of warnings on the gondola loading site, if there are not already.
I have a fear of heights, and made the choice that even though it's disney transportation, it was probably not for me. I still had the urge to try it after the kinks were worked out, however.
I feel the other poster had it right in that disney gondolas load people who are slower, whether from disability, managing strollers or children, or ECV's. It is a theme park for all people, not being used at a ski park.
Don't know what the answer is, but it seems to still be a problem.

If you compare problems with the boats, buses and monorail compared to problems with the Skyliner, then I have a feeling that the Skyliner may not look too bad. I realize that it has had its problems, especially with some very long stops, but for the amount of people it can move with very little to no problems, it looks pretty good. I do think that more care must be taken to iron out these problems and get things fixed properly, though.

I think that Disney needs to do everything it can to make all of these modes of transportation ADA accessible.
No. I disagree. Disabled people shouldn't be allowed on the skyliner. If you can't stand and walk you need to stay off the skyliner. It's for everyone's safety.

The idea the because you are at WDW that you should discount your fear of heights and ride anyway is laughable. They are a company, not God. Maybe they should just remove everything I enjoy because it might upset you? Perhaps they should shut down all the rides because they might stop and you will get stuck? Any transportation can get stuck - if you know you would be frightened, just take the bus! Not so hard folks.

I do fault WDW for not having better communication. I would think they could put something in the App where you could text or communicate with Skyliner personnel or get updates.

I am also going to say that maybe making this ADA accessible was a bad idea. The buses are a better choice for this type of transportation.

We have seen numerous people state they had trepidation about riding the gondolas before they ever got on them because of various conditions. Some ride them and everything goes great. So I ask again, why would you ride something that would cause anxiety before you ever step foot on it. I wouldn’t. I’d take the bus. I certainly wouldn’t ride a particular form of transportation if just thinking about it causes anxiety when another option is available.

Well, I’m claustrophobic, so the gondola is not for me. If I choose to risk it and I end up having a panic attack, that’s on me. But claustrophobia is pretty cut and dry. I’m not sure anyone with claustrophobia would try the gondola.

The problem is there are lots of people out there with varying degrees of anxieties for a multitude of reasons. As an example, I know people who get anxious when they’re late. Does that mean they shouldn’t ride the gondola? No. But if they get stranded for an extended period of time and they need to get to an ADR, their anxiety can be triggered.

Sometimes you don’t know what might bother you until you try it. And if you’ve never been in a gondola, you may not realize if you’re bothered by the temperatures when it’s stopped, or by an extended stop.

I think the big difference between bungy jumping and riding a gondola at WDW is that it. is. at. WDW!! When you go to WDW you get on all the attractions with a certain measure of trust that the ride is safe for all. There is an assumption that it is Disney safe, and all will be well; afterall it is a magical vacation destination, not a jump off the bridge tied to a rope.
I think there needs to be a lot of warnings on the gondola loading site, if there are not already.
I have a fear of heights, and made the choice that even though it's disney transportation, it was probably not for me. I still had the urge to try it after the kinks were worked out, however.
I feel the other poster had it right in that disney gondolas load people who are slower, whether from disability, managing strollers or children, or ECV's. It is a theme park for all people, not being used at a ski park.
Don't know what the answer is, but it seems to still be a problem.

I must’ve missed where someone was seriously injured on the Skyliner since you’re referencing safety. Oh wait. No injuries have occurred. Someone was hospitalized for chest pain and released the next day. The Skyliner didn’t cause the person’s condition. I don’t know of anything at Disney which guarantees your safety taking into account any and all conditions a person may have. Oh wait again. They don’t. They specifically disclaim that you ride everything at your own risk assuming liability in the event that you have some condition. Bottom line, if you have any pre-existing condition and ride the Skyliner or anything else for that matter, you do so at your own risk. They cannot be held liable for something triggering your condition, whatever that may.

This is so ridiculous. I’m sorry. If you have a fear of heights, claustrophobia, severe anxiety, etc. then take responsibility for yourself and keep yourself comfortable and safe. Disney isn’t your personal caregiver. They aren’t looking out for you. It’s a business trying to make money. Assuming it is anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Providing another transportation option was simply to move more people more efficiently and potentially save them money with the goal being to reduce bus service (there’s debate on whether or not that will happen). It wasn’t put into place to help people overcome their fears and anxieties.

The idea the because you are at WDW that you should discount your fear of heights and ride anyway is laughable. They are a company, not God. Maybe they should just remove everything I enjoy because it might upset you? Perhaps they should shut down all the rides because they might stop and you will get stuck? Any transportation can get stuck - if you know you would be frightened, just take the bus! Not so hard folks.

I do fault WDW for not having better communication. I would think they could put something in the App where you could text or communicate with Skyliner personnel or get updates.

I am also going to say that maybe making this ADA accessible was a bad idea. The buses are a better choice for this type of transportation.
Well said. ADA has gone too far. This is complete nonsense making the skyliner ADA. My advice stay off.

I must’ve missed where someone was seriously injured on the Skyliner since you’re referencing safety. Oh wait. No injuries have occurred. Someone was hospitalized for chest pain and released the next day. The Skyliner didn’t cause the person’s condition. I don’t know of anything at Disney which guarantees your safety taking into account any and all conditions a person may have. Oh wait again. They don’t. They specifically disclaim that you ride everything at your own risk assuming liability in the event that you have some condition. Bottom line, if you have any pre-existing condition and ride the Skyliner or anything else for that matter, you do so at your own risk. They cannot be held liable for something triggering your condition, whatever that may.

This is so ridiculous. I’m sorry. If you have a fear of heights, claustrophobia, severe anxiety, etc. then take responsibility for yourself and keep yourself comfortable and safe. Disney isn’t your personal caregiver. They aren’t looking out for you. It’s a business trying to make money. Assuming it is anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Providing another transportation option was simply to move more people more efficiently and potentially save them money with the goal being to reduce bus service (there’s debate on whether or not that will happen). It wasn’t put into place to help people overcome their fears and anxieties.
Why are you being so snarky and confrontational over someone elses opinion on the subject???? even if it is different from your own? Time to chill and find another hobby. Have a magical day:)

As someone with anxiety, it is not the world’s responsibility to manage it for me, it is MY responsibility. If I know a situation is going to make me highly anxious, I either make an alternative plan, or rely on a coping mechanism. I DON’T expect to control every external situation. Drops make me anxious, so I stay off of Tower of Terror.

Why are you being so snarky and confrontational over someone elses opinion on the subject???? even if it is different from your own? Time to chill and find another hobby. Have a magical day:)

I would say the same to you when you start calling someone a name and being confrontational yourself when you are presented with data which doesn’t support your narrative. I feel we have nothing left to say to one another. I will refrain from responding to your comments on this subject going forward and hope you can do the same.

But if you did get on would you find it acceptable for the ride to break down, and then they leave you on it with no communication at all?

I will avoid the Skyliner because I hate the feeling of dangling in the air. But at the very least the people on it should have a way to communicate with someone if there is a need to. Totally unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Skyliner is a disaster. Thought it was a bad idea from the get go. And I don't blame the OP for being furious. Just doesn't surprise me anymore. Disney customer service is awful now.

I'm wondering why 911 wasn't called. I know if I think it's emergency enough to hit the emergency button repeatedly and I'm not getting a response then I definitely would he calling 911 since they are for emergencies

But the fact is that people with anxiety and phobias don't have a letter stamped on their forehead so Disney can prevent them from riding. As long as you are relying on the public to self police, people will make the wrong decision. And everybody else will suffer while the line is stopped and dealing with the problem.

Additionally some people will ride without knowing they have an issue with anxiety or panic attacks. There's a first for everything.

I've felt the system was a terrible idea all along because of the sheer quantity of guests at Disney that have disabilities, anxiety issues, strollers, etc. All of these things tend to impact how smoothly the system will run. I can't even imagine what it will be like when Riviera opens and ECVs are loaded on without a separate loop. That's going to ramp up the number of stops.

So many of these systems are put in areas where people tend to be more fit. It shouldn't be a shock that Disney having a different clientele has had a big impact on how smoothly this has rolled out.

They need to find a way to make this work better ASAP though. I can't imagine what it's done to Riviera sales.

No. I disagree. Disabled people shouldn't be allowed on the skyliner. If you can't stand and walk you need to stay off the skyliner. It's for everyone's safety.
I'm afraid that's probably how it needs to go. But I don't see them ever making that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter