News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah,I don't get the outrage here, with maybe the fountain of nations, but even that, we knew they were completely imagining the spine for about two years, and clearly most everything from that area was going to go. I agree the fiber optics in the ground would be missed, but even so there is nothing here that is essential to epcot, and future world is in desperate need of an overhaul. I remember when we used to spend an entire day in future world, and now it's a quick pass to hit Soarin and test track and SSE and we're out. Sure we spend a lot of time in Epcot during food and wine, and again not in future world. I personally can't wait for all this and I hope they do something with imagination as well. I am very excited to see the announcements out of D23.

The worst part of this is it seems like the entrance to Epcot will be a mess for at least a year.

sort of always the bind Disney is in .. .people get upset if they don't update thing, and then when they do people get upset about that

I think with EPCOT it isn't just the specific things being removed more the worry/concern people have with the general direction of EPCOT and moving away from what they loved about the park in general, and these are physical representations of that - and this announcement makes that change feel more "real"

sort of always the bind Disney is in .. .people get upset if they don't update thing, and then when they do people get upset about that

I think with EPCOT it isn't just the specific things being removed more the worry/concern people have with the general direction of EPCOT and moving away from what they loved about the park in general, and these are physical representations of that - and this announcement makes that change feel more "real"
You also have the fact that a ton of stuff is being removed, without any announcements of what is replacing it. Maybe whatever will replace the fountain will be amazing, but right now there is no information except for a rumor I personally find off-putting.

That's where I am. There isn't anything I love going away, but having what's replacing everything unknown is disconcerting. Plus it'll be a wasteland when we go at the end of September with so much closed.

I think Epcot will be spectacular when all of this is done, but it will be painful getting there. Once our passes expire this time around we will not be back to WDW until the work in Epcot is complete. It used to be my favorite park, but it just feels so dead and stale to me lately. I am really looking forward to the future.

You also have the fact that a ton of stuff is being removed, without any announcements of what is replacing it. Maybe whatever will replace the fountain will be amazing, but right now there is no information except for a rumor I personally find off-putting.

yeah, a "replacement" for the fountain is one big thing missing/unknown. And obviously the rumored plans I htink have some good and some not the best, but at least would bring more greenery and activity to that area

I’m not sad to see the fountain go. DH and I aren’t big photo op people, and the fountain photo folks create a traffic jam in that area every time we’re there. I hope whatever replaces it takes traffic flow into account, and loosens up that area’s bottleneck.

The worst closure/change, IMO, is Club Cool. You know the free soda will be gone and replaced by a Coke store like the one in DS. It’ll be called Club Cool, but it won’t *be* Club Cool by any stretch of the imagination. Glad I’m there once more before it’s gone for good.

That's where I am. There isn't anything I love going away, but having what's replacing everything unknown is disconcerting. Plus it'll be a wasteland when we go at the end of September with so much closed.
I think Epcot will be spectacular when all of this is done, but it will be painful getting there. Once our passes expire this time around we will not be back to WDW until the work in Epcot is complete. It used to be my favorite park, but it just feels so dead and stale to me lately. I am really looking forward to the future.

I do have to say, I am feeling better and better about our switch from Yacht Club to Gran Destino. Between the price difference (oh my god, Yacht is so expensive, we just couldn't swing it this time), the new pictures coming out of Gran Destino (amazing - looks nicer than some of the other deluxes) and the fact Future World is going to bum me out while we are there - we would not be spending as much time at Epcot as normal - I'm feeling pretty great about our decision.

Things have a funny way of working out, don't they? :) We can always save up for Yacht Club when Epcot is brand, spanking new!

I wonder how and if any of this construction will effect the Monorail, i mean they are going to be demoing a large portion of the part of the park the Monorail goes through. They just added that extra buss entrance, I wonder if this is going to necessitate closures of the monorails and need for extra buses from the transportation center.

I’m not sad to see the fountain go. DH and I aren’t big photo op people, and the fountain photo folks create a traffic jam in that area every time we’re there. I hope whatever replaces it takes traffic flow into account, and loosens up that area’s bottleneck.

The worst closure/change, IMO, is Club Cool. You know the free soda will be gone and replaced by a Coke store like the one in DS. It’ll be called Club Cool, but it won’t *be* Club Cool by any stretch of the imagination. Glad I’m there once more before it’s gone for good.

sort of funny how people can enjoy such different aspects - I am the exact opposite of you ... mostly upset about the Fountain and couldn't care less about Club Cool (we don't drink soda so never even been in it)

The important thing is that Disney is upsetting people equally, just in all different ways

I too have always loved the fiber optics in the sidewalk near the fountain. Little is said about them, it's good to hear support from GrandAdmiralStrife, MissGina5 and skier_pete. This is the kind of detail that makes magic, who knows if the project managers have it on their radar.

Like many of you I also love the fountain, and have sat with a coffee by it's side. I do think the blue sky art shows a fountain a little to the south, so maybe there will be a new one.

And also like many of you, I think maybe the end result of this construction will be positive. Here's hoping. Considering an unplanned August trip to say goodbye.

My husband and I were discussing this last night - I could almost see them just rerouting the entrance backstage somehow to come out around The Seas. Otherwise, you'll be walking through construction fences all the way to the bridge to World Showcase. I hate that the one place you can see Mickey and Minnie in their classic outfits is closing and spreading them out. I wish they'd have a meet with classic Minnie and Mickey together. We lucked up once and found them in the Visa spot and that picture is on my wall in a huge frame. My kids are sad about Colortopia leaving - it's silly, I know, but my 5 and 3 year old, especially, love to "paint the walls." It's one of the few hands-on things that EPCOT has left. I'm glad we'll be there in a week to say goodbye to the fountain, Colortopia, and the "pineapple drink" my daughter loves. I can see us skipping out on EPCOT for a while because World Showcase just doesn't do much for us. We don't do exotic foods or drink at all and usually skip all but Frozen and Mexico when there's a festival going on back there. We're crossing our fingers that Spaceship Earth is plussed and not overhauled. That's my husband's favorite ride in all of Disney.

Wow, a lot of Epcot news. I might be a die-hard purist when it comes to Epcot but I have no doubt this will be for the better. Losing the fountains is an arrow through the heart, but it's a small price to pay for an overall better park experience. Given Disney's latest track record with Avatar, Star Wars, and even their current projects...I think we could be in good hands. Not to mention lately it seems Disney is working at Universal-like speed on some things, so this could be (hopefully) quicker than we think.

Also, how about those Gran Destino photos? I'm willing to throw down some money on the "how long until Coronado becomes a Deluxe Resort" bet.

I know it's not in the cards, but they have a whole lake in EPCOT to do a fountain show. I feel a Bellagio style fountain show around the lake would give a 360 view for all guests and could be day "friendly".
Great suggestion! Disney already has a very good water show at DCA in World of Color so they understand the technology.

I know it's not in the cards, but they have a whole lake in EPCOT to do a fountain show. I feel a Bellagio style fountain show around the lake would give a 360 view for all guests and could be day "friendly".
I remember it used to be packed around the fountain for each show because the fountain performance was so unique. Now most are familiar with larger fountain displays.

But, I’m only OK with daytime fountain shows as long if they don’t cause Friendship boat service interruptions.

But, I’m only OK with daytime fountain shows as long if they don’t cause Friendship boat service interruptions.
Don't they close down the Friendship boats during Illuminaitons now? Or are you referring to the ones that go from IG to the resorts and DHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter